Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm also near max armor for my level, changed to hard mid playthrough, and die in two hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Play it Safe has entirely too many exploding barrels.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I did a 20 Body build and never died to bullets after the first 20 hours in the game, canister explosions are always annoyingly a 1-hit kill though. I think that's straight up bugged.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
hail cybersatan

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sachant posted:

I don't know how they would epilogue that though. They very intentionally avoid exploring what happens to whoever goes with Alt into cyberspace because that's freaky space magic territory and the more they show it the less scary/mystical it would be. It's necessarily abstract in an effort to keep it alien and inhuman.

Could just show a news report about Arasaka being hosed and how NC is dealing with the aftermath (like updates on gangs and what not) and then have the same voicemails as if you commited suicide because to the outside that's basically what it would have looked like.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The big reveal trailer starting with V riding a train, then having an entire monorail system present in the game running through the map complete with fast travel points placed in front of actual stations and also having gigantic main station buildings that are protected from being entered with invisible walls may suggest that the monorail was cut from the game. I want them to finish that poo poo in a free DLC because the views while riding those trains own.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sachant posted:

I don't know how they would epilogue that though. They very intentionally avoid exploring what happens to whoever goes with Alt into cyberspace because that's freaky space magic territory and the more they show it the less scary/mystical it would be. It's necessarily abstract in an effort to keep it alien and inhuman.

Maybe if they did the ending only during the secret solo run ending, and have the epilogue done from Rogue's perspective? Her gizmos and things start wigging out little by little over the course of a few minutes culminating in digital V and Johnny saying their goodbyes?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Palpek posted:

The big reveal trailer starting with V riding a train, then having an entire monorail system present in the game running through the map complete with fast travel points placed in front of actual stations and also having gigantic main station buildings that are protected from being entered with invisible walls may suggest that the monorail was cut from the game. I want them to finish that poo poo in a free DLC because the views while riding those trains own.

I would be 1000% OK with them abandoning PVP entirely and focusing on expanding single player elements like this

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Play it Safe has entirely too many exploding barrels.

body disposal crates and exploding barrels - the twin pillars of good level design!

(I actually like most levels)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PerilPastry posted:

body disposal crates and exploding barrels - the twin pillars of good level design!

(I actually like most levels)
If I were Cyber OSHA I would mandate all loose exploding canisters and barrels are below machete swing height.

Those moments were bad enough without the enemy always surviving the explosion in spite of being right there with me :v:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Palpek posted:

Same. Would be great to ride around and stare at the city more, though it might be tough to put it back in without it being controversial.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I like Hard, but the immersion is better in Normal. The difficulty isn't really "fair" or challenging, so I much prefer gonks dying from a headshot than from 4 AR mags dumped into them. The cybernetics can stretch my sense of disbelief decently far... something like Destiny is allowed to be more bullet spongey than something like The Division just based on weird alien vs. t shirt man as far as time to kill goes... (this is just my opinion obviously, it's easier for me to reconcile a dude with a robot head might take more to bring down)

Also I wear whatever I want, so I'm not exactly invincible anyway. My Nomad was wearing the biker vest from the intro recently when I did Panam's quests for example.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

wish this game had enemy scaling so i could start at level 50 and not have to worry about upgrading equipment or constantly replacing things all game

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
For the "secret" ending, what level should I be? Having attempted it right now around level 32 I'm seeing every enemy with skull icons and basically being one shot if I ever get hit or running out of bullets when I don't.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

DarkAvenger211 posted:

For the "secret" ending, what level should I be? Having attempted it right now around level 32 I'm seeing every enemy with skull icons and basically being one shot if I ever get hit or running out of bullets when I don't.
That's actually a relevant question. Is running out of bullets a significant concern in the secret ending mission?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cams posted:

wish this game had enemy scaling so i could start at level 50 and not have to worry about upgrading equipment or constantly replacing things all game
No joke, just saying gently caress it and giving you infinite ammo instead of haphazardly slapping in "Here you can craft more ammo between fights whatever" would go a long way to people playing with more of the guns for style reasons.

The Lextington full auto pistols are cool, but unless you are using some unique snowflake you're going to plow through that 500 pistol in no time even killing trash. Everybody is aware of how lackluster LMGs are for Videogame Reasons, but they would be more fun to use if my Muscle Hacker's machineguns didn't have less damage per round than if I use an SMG with 5 reflex.

This is a game with a Desert Eagle clone and I'm not even looking at them. While fearing that giving them more love on a high reflex gunslinger run won't let me unlock their blueprint tiers :v:

Infinite Karma posted:

That's actually a relevant question. Is running out of bullets a significant concern in the secret ending mission?
Quite possibly depending on what you like! 100 shotgun ammo sounds like a lot, but you can run out even clearing out a couple blue crime icons if you use something like the "only both barrels at once every shot" versions because now it is 2/4 shotgun ammo per kill instead of 1/2, and that's generic gang members! But something like the carnage lasts forever (and also takes forever to reload even with +40% reload perk)

Of course, there is no limit to how many GRENADES you can carry except for your weight capacity adding up every 0.3 pounds.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 1, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DarkAvenger211 posted:

The secret ending is a cool fixed lvl 50.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
If I'm right at the start of the Gimme Danger quest with Takemura, how far into the main storyline am I?

I've played 60+ hours and I have no idea if the end of the main game is right around the corner or a ways away.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Honestly, crafting wouldn't have been bad if you didn't have to upgrade poo poo to keep it relevant. That was the biggest stupidest resource drain if you wanted to keep using the early iconic weapons into the higher levels. Which is so weird considering how well they did the crafting for W3 when they didn't feel the need to have this constant treadmill of weapons that was +2 sharp or having to smelt ever piece of enemy gear to try and keep your crafted witcher sword up with whatever pot metal blade that level 30 dumbass mercenary had. Or hell, make the Iconic weapons scale automatically but make the upfront cost of upgrading rarity significantly higher - on par with Johnny's armor set.

The only other gripe I have is they need to let me make grenades and maxdocs in bulk. By the end of the game when I was doing the big run of endgame crafts/upgrades and needing a million billion epic components, I had to craft something to the order of like 400 MaxDoc Mk 3s because they cost me 9 white 4 green and broke down into 1.5-2 purple. Having to sit there and click craft over and over for 30 minutes while I watched poo poo on youtube isn't fun.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Enemies in the secret level are hard capped at 50. On the other endings the level scales to yours.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TeaJay posted:

I've been playing Corpo male V and I thought there's been quite a few background options. Mostly insights on dealing with corpos (surprising, I know) and often times knowledge the quest NPC's don't have, like correcting them that "a corpo wouldn't do this, there must be something else at play" or similar. I've liked it, it makes V seem like he's got smarts past Jackie's street smart.

I kind of regret not taking corpo, all the Nomads option are V waxing on and off about being a former Bakker, it very rarely offers insight into anything really.

DeathSandwich posted:

Enemies in the secret level are hard capped at 50.

Was really boring for me, even on hard. focused on a revolver build without any intention of breaking the game, but still ended up doing it. Was literally one shot-ting absolutely everything, even the mechs, and the only reason I didn't one shot Adam Smasher because he has different damage states.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 1, 2021

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Section Z posted:

No joke, just saying gently caress it and giving you infinite ammo instead of haphazardly slapping in "Here you can craft more ammo between fights whatever" would go a long way to people playing with more of the guns for style reasons.

Has running out of ammo been an issue for many people? 118h so far, I've had to craft ammo maybe 4 or 5 times, and that was only because I wanted to make sure I wasn't going into a main mission with less than 300 rifle rounds rounds just in case. There's so much ammo laying around that I barely think about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
lmao I found the billboard where they were testing wall-running, you can run for like four feet or so and then the game's physics don't know how to handle you landing and you just instantly die

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DeathSandwich posted:

Honestly, crafting wouldn't have been bad if you didn't have to upgrade poo poo to keep it relevant. That was the biggest stupidest resource drain if you wanted to keep using the early iconic weapons into the higher levels. Which is so weird considering how well they did the crafting for W3 when they didn't feel the need to have this constant treadmill of weapons that was +2 sharp or having to smelt ever piece of enemy gear to try and keep your crafted witcher sword up with whatever pot metal blade that level 30 dumbass mercenary had. Or hell, make the Iconic weapons scale automatically but make the upfront cost of upgrading rarity significantly higher - on par with Johnny's armor set.

The only other gripe I have is they need to let me make grenades and maxdocs in bulk. By the end of the game when I was doing the big run of endgame crafts/upgrades and needing a million billion epic components, I had to craft something to the order of like 400 MaxDoc Mk 3s because they cost me 9 white 4 green and broke down into 1.5-2 purple. Having to sit there and click craft over and over for 30 minutes while I watched poo poo on youtube isn't fun.
I noticed when I finally unlocked legendary that even though guns craft as "one level below what you can upgrade them to", the melee weapons I craft are "??? upgrade presses below their max" so I reloaded my save and only made a token Epic baseball bat with one upgrade instead of staring in disbelief at how cumbersome upgrading my legendary bat would be even with max crafting.

"It's okay, I can turn weaker materials into stronger materials now and I have 10,000 common... Oh you can't craft UPGRADE components, only crafting components... Oh that's right you can only craft these one at a time... Okay it wants 40 legendary crafting materials you know what gently caress this. People assure melee is overpowered by default anyways"

afflictionwisp posted:

Has running out of ammo been an issue for many people? 118h so far, I've had to craft ammo maybe 4 or 5 times, and that was only because I wanted to make sure I wasn't going into a main mission with less than 300 rifle rounds rounds just in case. There's so much ammo laying around that I barely think about it.
It is very much a case of "You feel like you have effectively infinity ammo 98% of the time, until suddenly you are out and it's real awkward" make huge sweeping adjustments for it you are trying to play around with certain weaker damage per round/not 24/7 headshot guns.

One funny example of "The second time I ran out of pistol ammo" (First was dusting off the rapid power pistols) was with Skippy, because even though he has a high damage per round for a smartgun, while on puppy kick mode it was usually taking me slightly over a full magazine per enemy even if they were blue or green threat colors. "Your legs are ONLY BONES. Why are you still standing!?... Hey skippy does pistol whipping them count for your score meter?... I bet it doesn't"

Using a hand crafted LMG with anti recoil mod (You REALLY feel the "Vertical recoil" fine print on that mod with the defender) to kill cyborg trump supporters and I almost ran out of ammo only killing a handful of them. With added insult to injury they wouldn't stay staggered very much on my body hacker build. So I switched to a weaker gun looted off their corpses (I forgot to grab their smartgun until after :downs: ) that actually killed poo poo more efficiently before going back to punches, shotguns, and silenced overtures again.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 1, 2021

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
this game provides hundreds of hours fun playing it, but then there's the bonus fun of people getting really upset if you say it's a good game

congratulations on not liking thing. clap.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sachant posted:

I really wish I understood what it is about this game that makes everyone so convinced that they know what was for sure 100% supposed to be in it but somehow cut at the last minute. Did their internal storyboards get sent to your mailbox by accident or something? I haven’t seen this level of armchair project management in a long time.

I’ve been wanting to type the same thing, but this is better than I could’ve done. It’s like folks are sitting around and nodding sagely to each other at all the clearly cut content and missed opportunities. Every game has stuff that didn’t make it, but folks are acting like this game, which is huge and stuffed with content, is some great example of what happens when a game gets cut off at the knees and shoved out the door.

This game is definitely in a very buggy state, but the idea that CDPR didn’t have a game plan, solid vision, or they cut huge chunks of content, etc etc is just exaggeration at the real issues. I mean, those things could all be totally true, but none of us (save Comte?) know either way. Just a lot of jumping to conclusions.

I’m on my second play through now with a female Corpo V, and it’s fantastic! I’m focusing this time on Reflexes and Tech Ability with the goal of making a kind of Crafting/tinkerer class that specializes in automatic weapons and mantis claws. No hacking or stealth this time, except for what I get away with incidentally. Just finished the first Maelstrom/Pick Up quest, and it’s so cool how everything went to poo poo immediately and is playing out differently than my first run.

I totally get that this game is not as divergent as Witcher, but as long as I feel like I’m playing MY character, I’m fine. And this game does that. It gives me bite size pieces of Deus Ex level content around every corner and is just fun as gently caress.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

If you play Cyberpunk you go to hell before you die

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean assuming a.) armor is a flat damage reduction and b.) enemy damage numbers are anything like PC damage numbers, that would explain a lot. I hit enemies for tens of thousands of damage, it's probably not much of a wonder that a few hundred damage taken off the top doesn't make a big difference.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Toaster Beef posted:

If I'm right at the start of the Gimme Danger quest with Takemura, how far into the main storyline am I?

I've played 60+ hours and I have no idea if the end of the main game is right around the corner or a ways away.

Pretty far? It depends upon how many other quests you've done (some of the main quests involve threads you can complete in the order you want)

But suffice it to say you're very close to Act 3. You have anywhere from a couple to a handful of quests left before the main story quest point of no return.

Note that there are some "side quests" that are actually full of good story, even involving main characters to the point I would call them "main story", and some of those side quests aren't even available until you hit "act 3".

So I would go ahead and do that quest and the next couple Takemura quests, until you get to the clear "point of no return" (the game will tell you in no uncertain terms) and then at that point you're at basically the "end" of the main story.

Note even the "ending" of the game takes around 1-2 hours, and there's multiple ways that it can go down that play different. So you still have a good bit left, but you're definitely getting to the end.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Toaster Beef posted:

Not far. That's the last Takemura core mission before the end of Act 2 (itself a Takemura mission). You'll have the opportunity to finish out the other two parts of Act 2 if you haven't already (Panam / Judy questlines). Then there's quite a lot of Act 3.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

That Italian Guy posted:

I found it really weird in the nomad ending when Saul and Panam are taken back by Alt murdering every Arasaka employee in the immediate vicinity, including non combatants. These are people working in the core of the Arasaka building, next to the big Soulkiller pylon. It would be like going "ooh, poor Dr. Mengele*, he was just a civilian and yet someone murdered the crap out of him" in a similar situation.

*I guess maybe Mengele had a military rank, but still these were not exactly the innocent pencil pushers that reaction would imply. Especially since you are not forced to register with Arasaka the same way you would with most nightmarishly evil leadership groups in other media/history.

i mean johnny and rogue/co say similar. its less about the arasaka victims and more about "oh poo poo she might end up being skynet someday"

Solice Kirsk posted:

Could just show a news report about Arasaka being hosed and how NC is dealing with the aftermath (like updates on gangs and what not) and then have the same voicemails as if you commited suicide because to the outside that's basically what it would have looked like.

in the rogue/secret endings and the nomad ending, they talk about how hosed arasaka is on various levels. sucide is just the end and devil ending is basicaly saburo becoming the emperor of mankind but also calming down tentions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mendrian posted:

I mean assuming a.) armor is a flat damage reduction and b.) enemy damage numbers are anything like PC damage numbers, that would explain a lot. I hit enemies for tens of thousands of damage, it's probably not much of a wonder that a few hundred damage taken off the top doesn't make a big difference.

Exactly. It also matters how much the scaling is over the course of the game.

Like early game maybe they're hitting for 20 damage. Then maybe by the end of the game you get armor that soaks 20 damage but now they're hitting for 600, so the difference between 580 and 600 is negligible, even if earlier in the game that would have made a huge difference. Thus some players get enough at some points it matters while others don't get it until its to the point where that amount doesn't matter anymore, you need much more.

I don't think armor is flat bugged or doesn't work but I do think that we aren't given enough information to make informed decisions as players.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/TomAznable/status/1344711841210126338?s=20

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hm, on my first playthrough, on the first proper "multiple choice" mission with Maelstrom I sided with Maelstrom, wanted to do it differently this time... so I took out Royce, killed everyone and then... Meredith was betrayed by that guy whatshisname anyway? I guess the only way to side with Meredith is to give her chip to Royce, otherwise she somehow gets murked

Thinking about it, it kinda makes sense that if Meredith sees that the chip has done its job she's confident enough to attack and thus gets the job done and is saved; but if the chip isn't activated, even if it's because I'm just killing everyone with Jackie, she never goes in with her Militech goons, and guy whatshisname shows up and removes her for being incompetent or something

edit: page 666 hail Cyber-Shodan

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Spoiler-free low-effort review: I enjoyed this computer or video game. I was lucky enough to not really see any bugs except for my car once bugging out a bit when I drove it very fast into a concrete wall, and one I think I've mentioned before where sometimes if you're carrying unconscious bodies and drop them it plays a gibbing sound and you get huge bloodstains all over the floor for no discernible reason.

Apart from that I thought Night City was a gorgeous setting. Side missions were mostly pretty good and many of them were lovely small-to-medium size doses of Deus Ex style level design. One thing I appreciated was that there was often fairly little handholding or telegraphing, which means that when you find an alternate way to do something, it's all the more rewarding. I'm aware not everyone likes that, but I do. All of that was then wrapped around a high-tech pulp-fiction main plot that was Really Pretty Good.

It has some gamey elements. (Possibly because it's a video game). Personally I found they didn't detract from my enjoyment.

Anyway, in conclusion,

nerve posted:

this game provides hundreds of hours fun playing it, but then there's the bonus fun of people getting really upset if you say it's a good game

Zephro fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 1, 2021

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

jaete posted:

Hm, on my first playthrough, on the first proper "multiple choice" mission with Maelstrom I sided with Maelstrom, wanted to do it differently this time... so I took out Royce, killed everyone and then... Meredith was betrayed by that guy whatshisname anyway? I guess the only way to side with Meredith is to give her chip to Royce, otherwise she somehow gets murked
Yeah as I understand it you have to pay Royce with Meredith's money, and you have to either have not cracked her chip in the first place, or else not reveal to Royce that it's bugged if you have cracked it. You basically have to play the perfect little stooge for her plans.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I just started watching Johnny Mnemonic and it's crazy how much it gives me the impression it's like a live action movie of Johnny Silverhand's younger days before becoming a rockerboy in Night City. A lot of the cyberpunk tech is similar but old fashioned (which tracks with it being before 2020), everyone calls the main character Johnny and it's Keanu Reeves doing a similar tough voice to his performance in the game.

Y'all should check it out, it's great.

EDIT: Woo, an enemy just broke out the monowire!

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 1, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Zephro posted:

Yeah as I understand it you have to pay Royce with Meredith's money, and you have to either have not cracked her chip in the first place, or else not reveal to Royce that it's bugged if you have cracked it. You basically have to play the perfect little stooge for her plans.

You can also just crack the chip and start shooting before you give it to him, keeping it for yourself.

That works for Meredith too.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wish the 'guy holding up an extremely wasted woman' npc combo didn't load so often everywhere in my game. i'm not whining about the creepiness of it but i don't want to see it so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Cavauro posted:

i wish the 'guy holding up an extremely wasted woman' npc combo didn't load so often everywhere in my game. i'm not whining about the creepiness of it but i don't want to see it so much

I punch that guy every time!