Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Midsommar is probably my favorite movie this year, it sucks I can't find a clean version of the music from the maypole scene.

Hereditary had an atmosphere of compete dread and pain while Midsommar felt like a happy summertime romp in the country with the exact same EVERYONE DIES plot which is pretty incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Are you still in contact with him?
If so, please tell him that his work is really appreciated.

The Thing is my all-time favorite movie do I was really skeptical about the prequel. I was delighted that the designers and builders obviously put a lot of love into the movie.

Edit: For fucks sake, in my previous post, when I said Jules, I meant Childs. Christ...
Sorry; I’m not! I haven’t seen him since I moved out which was a year after the movie came out. Last I heard he had cancer and he doesn’t have an IMDb page (which is sad because his name was definitely in the end credits) so I have no idea if he’s even still alive.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just curious, did this movie give an explanation for what happened to the original hikers? I read the book Dead Mountain awhile back, and the author determined that the student hiking group went into a crazed panic due to a special auditory effect caused by the wind and the shape of the mountains

Yes.

Also in reading the internet to jog my memory I discovered some people, particularly those on Reddit, can't handle anything more complex than an episode of Sesame Street without becoming hopelessly bewildered. Holy poo poo are there some bad, wrong, and ridiculous questions and answers out there about movies.

I am eagerly awaiting Hereditary and Midsommar coming to a Netflix near me.

Pookah posted:

I recognise that film! - Entity (2012) it's very atmospheric
Edit: I was going to post a link to the trailer but imo it's a pretty bad representation of what the film is actually like.

Thank you! I'd love to watch it again, it obviously stuck with me, but Netflix dropped it. I'll add it to my list.

I love the found footage movies although I've never seen Blair Witch (the seeming gateway drug to the genre?). I remember putting off Cloverfield because everyone said it was motion sickness inducing but maybe due to the smaller screen it wasn't bad, and I like the whole trilogy very much. I'm a sucker for "Hey, let's go do this stupid thing and film it!" Hauntings, abandoned buildings, poke a dead thing then run, all of it.

I also love the Resident Evil movies although I've never played the game (same with Silent Hill); I feel like without knowing the base source I don't have much to pick apart when I watch, unlike other folks. Also Michelle Rodriguez can get. it. Vasquez too, now that I think about it. Must have a thing for butch latinas!

And I just discovered that Patrick Wilson stars in both The Conjuring and Insidious, no wonder I can't tell those movies apart.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Insidious is the one where they go to Darth Maul's house, The Conjruing is the one where there's scary clapping

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

That70sHeidi posted:

And I just discovered that Patrick Wilson stars in both The Conjuring and Insidious, no wonder I can't tell those movies apart.

Patrick Wilson works with James Wan a lot. I'm surprised he didn't have a cameo in the Fast and Furious movie Wan directed.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I have such a crush on Vera Farmiga in those movies.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Glad I'm not the only one who can't keep The Conjuring series apart from the Insidious series.

I love both series very much even.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Even though I love horror, I've not seen anything from those series.

I assumed they were schlock but they're actually good?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Inzombiac posted:

Don't believe the weirdos in this thread. They're garbage movies.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
The first Conjuring wasn't bad.

My daughter got me a copy of Candyman on DVD because you can't stream it anywhere for some damned reason.

It is just as good as it ever was.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I mean if you had 2 hours left on earth you might want to spend it with loved ones or something, but I'd still say watch The Thing.

hahaha

but, yeah, that would actually be a decent note to go out on

Oldstench posted:

Insidious was lame

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
pumpkinhead is the scariest movie ever created

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sorry but the best horror movie is Happy Death Day.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvNfhUZ-5z8

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Don't lie the first ⅞ of Insidious were good

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Thing is just a b-movie cover of Alien. There's a reason no-one cared when it originally came out.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
vampires is a better john carpenter movie than the thing

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

dead prez posted:

pumpkinhead is the scariest movie ever created

I should probably watch this movie at some point, considering I’m related to the guy who wrote the script.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down

Dazerbeams posted:

I should probably watch this movie at some point, considering I’m related to the guy who wrote the script.

for real?? will you tell your relative i saw that movie way too young and it damaged me for life. thanks

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The Thing is just a b-movie cover of Alien. There's a reason no-one cared when it originally came out.

Meh!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Insidious is good because when overtly creepy stuff starts happening the family just says gently caress it and moves out of the house.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The vvitch was good but not great imo. Not very scary but a slight creepy none the less.

I don't know any good spooky movies that haven't already been mentioned.

Also just throwing this out there, might piss some people off, but the reanimator wasn't good.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
the witch was really good! it did really creepy "practical magic" well

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

dead prez posted:

the witch was really good! it did really creepy "practical magic" well

I don't discredit it by any means, I like that it was slow burning and not over-the-top. It just wasn't my thing.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Inzombiac posted:

I would say James Wan is a good director
he is good at building tension and paying it off
he is good at creating the sense that something is slightly off
he is good at taking that sense of dread and bridging it into an "OH poo poo" moment when poo poo suddenly gets real
he is good at maintaining the sense of urgency that creates

are they good movies?
well... James Wan is a good director

Insidious tries to create the same kind of fantastical, this world has rules but they're not like ours feeling as Nightmare on Elm Street, and the first movie really loving goes for it at the end, and it works for some people, others find it really goofy. I find it... charming
it kind of reminds me of The Hole, if you've seen that. I love it for what it means to be, but it's missing something (I'm not sure what) that stops it from reaching the instantly identifiable status that it aims for. it wants to be a movie that you keep in your head for a while, wanting to know more, wanting to talk about it with your friends, wondering what you would do in that situation, and it looks like that movie, it's paced like that movie, it dressed for the part, but it's just not there. it doesn't quite tap into whatever that subconscious reserve of shared mythology is that Elm Street tapped into, that thing that makes horror seem true, even when we know it's not, like a demon captured in a painting. it's a real good try though

The Conjuring doesn't go as hard, it's a little more grounded (at least until the sequel), but maybe more intense?
don't go in expecting Hereditary, but if you think about those disposable high concept horror movies that used to come out every single year, like Mirrors, One Missed Call, The Unborn, Devil's Due, The Messengers, Haunting in Connecticut, Ouija– The Conjuring is like the best possible version of that without necessarily elevating into anything greater. nobody I know had a bad time watching it (except insofar as hating Ed & Lorraine Warren irl for being huge frauds), which is remarkable for a two hour horror movie with a pretty by-the-numbers premise, but they all seem to have a really hard time remembering what actually happened in it. (there was like a demon or something? and a family? no... two families?)

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

dead prez posted:

for real?? will you tell your relative i saw that movie way too young and it damaged me for life. thanks

Not gonna happen. The guy is dead unfortunately.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I liked Sinister a lot and it had the scary Boards of Canada song.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Sinister is so loving great. The Norwegian death metal demon’s home movies are some of the best heart-in-your-throat scenes I have ever seen.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The tastiest of baits right there... yet hold fast. Don't go for it.

Tongues posted:

My lad, I think you and I might as well get married because I both evangelical about this film, and I love the drunken bakers

If you haven't seen A Dark Song, I recommend it.

I'm absolutely going to check out A Dark Song... on our honeymoon. :biglips:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My wife and I try to do 3 horror movies a week during October, and we started this year with:

The People Under the Stairs

Two thieves and a kid break into their landlords' house to try and steal a collection of gold coins. Pretty quickly they realize that the landlords are psychopaths and that there are things living in the basement.

This is an amazing Wes Craven film and feels like some kind of combo of Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream. The first half has some very good scares, and then it turns into an amazing satire/action movie. The main kid, Fool (although you find out his real name towards the end), is great. He wants to grow up to be a doctor, but is pushed to help with the break-in because the landlords are ready to kick him, his sister, and his dying mother out of their house. He's smart, he's brave, and he whoops rear end at the end.

It was good satire in 1991, and it's still drat good satire now. We still have lovely landlords, we still have income inequality, we still have weird white people who call each other "Mommy" and "Daddy".

Highly recommended movie. I loved it as a kid mostly for Fool, as an adult I just love the entire thing.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Thanks for the recommendation. Definitely going to check it out. Please update us with your viewings!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I completely forgot about The People Under the Stairs! I remember watching it when I was a child and thinking it was very pleasant and funny. I can't remember anything about it now but now I want to watch it again.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

naem posted:

I just watched Midsommar and like Hereditary it was pretty clever and original that the plot and story structure was crazy poo poo happens and yep! gently caress you!

like, there is suspense and mystery because gradually WHAT IS HAPPENING happens but it’s not explained externally, you the viewer experience it all first hand in real time along with the protagonists

or rather the protagonists are secretly the bad guys all along

it’s a lot more realistic than “the scooby gang solves a mystery” which most horror movies have an element of. the scooby gang gets bred and sacrificed by cultists

The imagery in both movies was fantastic, Midsommar especially. Some people complained about the length of Midsommar, but I thought some scenes could have used a little more. The level of detail in the finale was amazing.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

A Fancy Hat posted:

Highly recommended movie. I loved it as a kid mostly for Fool, as an adult I just love the entire thing.

My favorite but is the dad in the gimp suit

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

funkybottoms posted:

Rare Exports, a fun Finnish movie about the true nature of Santa Claus (hint: it ain't nice)

Gonna second this Rare Exports owns.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

My favorite but is the dad in the gimp suit

My wife had never seen the movie before, so when that moment hit she goes "Uhhh…. is this gonna be explained?" I feel like that's a pretty easy moment to look at when the movie cranks it up to 11 and never really slows down.

There's also the (to me) grossest part of the movie, when you hear Mommy tell Daddy something like "Make sure you put on the suit" when they go to bed. Made even grosser with the revelation that they're brother and sister, not a couple

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

My wife and I try to do 3 horror movies a week during October, and we started this year with:

The People Under the Stairs

Two thieves and a kid break into their landlords' house to try and steal a collection of gold coins. Pretty quickly they realize that the landlords are psychopaths and that there are things living in the basement.

This is an amazing Wes Craven film and feels like some kind of combo of Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream. The first half has some very good scares, and then it turns into an amazing satire/action movie. The main kid, Fool (although you find out his real name towards the end), is great. He wants to grow up to be a doctor, but is pushed to help with the break-in because the landlords are ready to kick him, his sister, and his dying mother out of their house. He's smart, he's brave, and he whoops rear end at the end.

It was good satire in 1991, and it's still drat good satire now. We still have lovely landlords, we still have income inequality, we still have weird white people who call each other "Mommy" and "Daddy".

I watched this on a really uncomfortable first date with a super creep (he turned out to be 27 to my 16, which I was not told about) where I was more concerned about his hands than watching the movie (we were doubling with my friend and HER 27 year old boyfriend luckily). Sometimes I wonder if he's still living with his mom and driving that VW Rabbit. God he'd be in his 50s now.

Look, I contributed a horror story of my own! :stonklol:

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The People Under the Stairs is very good. Though I saw it way too young. But it holds up and you realize more details as you get older. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the two main villains are pretty much Ronald and Nancy Reagan.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Every time I saw the VHS jacket for People Under The Stairs at Blockbuster, it gave me the willies (I had a fear of the basement as a kid).

As a teen I finally watched it and realized I had nothing to be afraid of because the movie was absolutely ridiculous.

E: can somebody find the clip where Fool jumps out of the vent, runs full bore at Daddy and decks him straight in the groin?
That's the most perfect moment in cinematic history.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

I have hated almost every "found footage" movie I have ever seen besides [REC]. From the Blair Witch Project on. Paranormal Activity was the dumbest, least believable bullshit ever; the only scary thing was how gaslighty and dickish the husband was the whole time.

If someone can recommend one of these that's actually good and available on Netflix/Hulu/Prime, I would like to give it a shot. Subtitles are fine. Real handheld shake is also fine, but fake handheld supershakycam is not.

I would try:

V/H/S 1 and 2

LLC Hell House Inc

maybe Grave Encounters

and As Above, So Below