Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Room 25: Kitchen - Castle Caldwell

The west wall of this room has a ledge about seven feet from the floor, with two small windows above the ledge. The room seems to be a kitchen. It contains four tables, a pump, and an old stove. A large leather chest rests by the middle of the west wall.

The chest is closed and strapped with leather belts.
I promise it is not a mimic, but that's all I promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Draco Casimir

"Too early for lunch." Taken by whimsy, Draco investigates the old stove.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Draco Casimir
The stove doesn't look to have been used in sometime. A remarkable amount of soot and grease remnants coat your fingers but that is all.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad inspects the chest and then opens it. Whatever trap might have been placed on it has a smaller chance of affecting him.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Conrad
You unfasten the leather straps that held the chest closed and open it up. As you do so a vial falls to the bottom and shatters releasing a poisonous cloud that quickly spreads and dissipates.

Make a Saving Throw vs Poison for half damage!
http://orokos.com/roll/200540: 1d12 6

Alongside the vial is a sack with 50 gold pieces.
Free Tidbit: The chest can hold 2000 coins.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Poison/Death Ray: 12.
Saving throw (equal to or above to succeed):: 1d20 2
Current HP: 2/8

Conrad can't say much more for a while, but he does like the idea of bringing this chest to stow loot in! When he's not doubling over in pain from a monumentally bad idea, that is.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Conrad
Caught off-guard, you quickly inhale a large portion of the poison cloud as the rest scatters. Your lungs and sinuses begin to burn and then so to does the rest of your body as the toxin is carried along your bloodstream.

You ride through waves of illness, suffering a large amount of damage to your internal organs. However, you are able to carry on.

The room does not appear to house much else of interest.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Amelaide Florantha Starfall
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 98 (+5%), 104 GP, 7 SP, Arrows = 19, Scroll of Mapping (2)

Mostly quiet since their return, Ame has also been hanging back, trying to keep her eyes ope and her mouth shut. She doesn't seem to have much courage to speak of, but she'd rather stay close to the group than alone in the castle. As Conrad takes a breath of the gas, she moves to his side, fear in her eyes. "Are you okay? Did that burn? Who the gently caress made this place!?"

Then the pulls out the map she had, crossing off this room, too. "Okay, where next?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Olaf Helmsplitter
AC: 2 HP: 2/7

Olaf is glad he stayed away from the chest but responds to Amelaide's question with a simple, "a trapped chest is just common sense to avoid thieves." Then he looks around for the next door, listens carefully at it, tests to see if it requires any force to open, but does not actually open it. Then when everyone is ready he kicks it open.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Draco Casimir

Draco stands to Conrad's side in case the poor guy needs to keel over. "Yeah, but what if he was just looking for the sugar?"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Room 24: Pantry - Castle Caldwell
The merit of trapped chest comes to discussion, but afterwards you proceed to the next room along the western corridor.

Olaf listens at the door readied to kick it in when you all were ready.

Olaf Helmsplitter
You do not hear anything at the door and when your allies arrive, you kick the door open revealing an old pantry.

The west wall of this room has a ledge about seven feet from the floor, with two small windows above the ledge. Cabinets and shelves line the wall. In the middle of the floor lies the body of a goblin with a horribly swollen arm. Trash and old sacks are scattered about the floor.

What do you do?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Draco Casimir

Draco stands to Conrad's side in case the poor guy needs to keel over. "Yeah, but what if he was just looking for the sugar?"

"That's a sorry sight, goblin or no." Draco enters gingerly, keeping one eye on the goblin while prodding the sacks and trash with the knob of his club. "Watch your feet. Could have been a snakebite."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Draco Casimir
Prodding the sacks and trash with your club, you eventually reach a sack in the southeast corner of the room that shifts wildly as soon as your knob presses against it and out leaps a sizable Spitting Cobra, a 3' long grayish-white snake.

It hisses and spits a stream of venom at you that crashes into your chest plate, missing its attempt to blind you.

Everyone up!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad, still wheezing from the poison and unable to actually request the healing that no one has offered from the kindness of their heart (he-HEM), stays behind whoever decided to take the front, hefts his halberd and strikes!

Halberd always loses initiative. Cobra Attack!: 1d20+1 18, which hits AC 0. I'm just going to assume that's enough. Damage: 1d10+1 7

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Draco Casimir

"Holy poo poo!" Draco recoils, but rebounds with a downward swing of his sacred shillelagh upon the stealthy snake.

Attack: 17

"Told you."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Conrad & Draco Casimir
The snake having presented itself, you two waste no time in dispatching it. Draco thwacks it firmly with his shillelagh and then Conrad completes the extermination by quickly cleaving the snake in two with a swoop of his Halberd.

Snake defeated! Combat ended, there is not much else of interest in the room.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Draco Casimir

Draco inspects the shelves and cabinets. "I suppose you lot have already surveyed the view from these windows, then?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Amelaide Florantha Starfall
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 98 (+5%), 104 GP, 7 SP, Arrows = 19, Scroll of Mapping (2)

Ame looks over the dead snake's body and then the cabinets, looking for any food. "Huh. There must be a kitchen nearby for this pantry. Perhaps we could barricade ourselves there tonight, have a proper meal here in the castle while we rest."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Draco Casimir

Draco shows Amelaide the sooty fingertips of his glove. "I don't fancy trying to cook anything proper in that stove. I s'pose Conrad could use something to stick to his ribs besides fumes, aye?" He almost pats him on the back before he thinks better of it.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham

The halfling has been struggling to keep up with each new room the party finds themselves in. "Fun though it is," he suggests, "Maybe we should be a little more cautious when we go poking and prodding things, eh?" Wyndham tests his theory by jabbing the oven.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Adrian

Adrian watches Wyndham poke the oven. "I don't think that's trapped. Although I also don't keep trapped chests filled with money in my pantry, so I admit that I don't understand the mindset of this castle's previous owners at all."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Roger

I'm alive, I swear!

"As the good halfling says, we should be more careful with chests. Twice now they've struck back."

He waits for the oven poking to finish.

"Please, stand back, just to be careful. I suggest we begin opening all manner of objects AWAY from ourselves."

Roger moves to the side of the oven, and opens it outwards to demonstrate this.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Roger demonstrates opening items from their sides by making use of the old stove back in the kitchen found in the room notated as 25 on Amelaide's map.

Rooms 25 and 24 have been cleared, onwards to Room 23: ????, plans and stratagems?
No imaging software at the moment. I should be on the up and up soon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Draco Casimir

"Well before we go any further, I ought to tell you I must be a bloody fool." Draco withdraws his Rod of Health and waves it about Conrad restoring 6 HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham

Wyndham gives the open oven a good kick, to prove its lack of threat. "I vote that we stop wasting time in these rooms," he snorts. "All we find in them are traps, and they're not even fun traps. Why don't we head back into the hallways? There might be less treacherous treasure chests, and perhaps more goblins to rough up..."

• Locked thread