Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

why is being gay integral to a person's character but not being straight?

Dorian’s entire reason for being in Thedas has to do with his dad wanting to use dangerous blood magic to change his sexuality

I mean if someone was straight and their society was trying to coerce them into a gay relationship they didn’t want, then being straight would be important in that case too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Life's certainties:

1. Death.
2. Taxes
3. The Dragon Age thread is talking about romances

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like the basic attack animation for rogues in DA2 but not DAI. Also I love posting about posting.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
making th companions playersexual in da2 was insanely good ux design

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

On Dorian's personal stuff I really liked how it was handled.

I like that his dad had a realization "Wait poo poo I've done something horrible to my son" and then hosed up by tricking his son into meeting him, but it's understandable why he felt that was necessary. I like that if you encourage Dorian to give his dad a chance to talk more, Halward made an obviously sincere attempt at apologizing and maybe didn't get it quite right despite that. I like that Dorian didn't immediately say "I forgive you dad!" and everything was repaired. It was very gratifying to see this kind of interaction happen in a plausible and realistic way. People can do hosed up things. People can realize it, and apologize, and it doesn't fix everything on the spot. In truth I'd kind of preferred Halward to live because it'd have been interesting to explore a developing reconciliation, or not, between them.

e; Can't believe I hosed up the spoiler tags lol

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 14, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I remember "once, I had a son who trusted me" being one of the better delivered lines in the game.

But I just looked it up and maybe I just like the scene, it's not that amazingly delivered.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I can't wait for Bioware to just cave and make the next DA game just the player making a character and romancing everyone. Then after a certain amount of time everyone only talks about how awesome it is some random warden you never met saved the world and the game ends.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm trying to buy this loving game and origin can't display any of the prices, it all just says 'Unable to retrieve price' instead of the purchase button on every game in the store. Also the profile and Help links are dead. Anyone have any idea how I can buy this thing, preferably while this sale is still on?

E: I added origin and origin client service as exceptions to windows firewall, didn't do anything

E: turns out the servers are just hosed

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 14, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

anders dead. so what?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Bogart posted:

I like the basic attack animation for rogues in DA2 but not DAI. Also I love posting about posting.
i gotta say, the combination of the animation and the sounds makes me find the daggers in dai extremely viscerally pleasing.

you're just stabbing away, forever.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Imagine dual daggers stabbing a tevinter magister's head forever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

cams posted:

i gotta say, the combination of the animation and the sounds makes me find the daggers in dai extremely viscerally pleasing.

you're just stabbing away, forever.

Dagger rogues just absolutely shred everything in Inquisition. They're a bit glass cannonish until you get equipment but man once you do they're just dumb. That's true for most classes of course but a Tempest Rogue with crafted daggers can shred a Dragon on Nightmare in under a minute.

Of course it's been a while since I played it but I remember my Archer Artificer being equally silly when I did that run. Hooking into enemies and then throwing a million traps at once was always a good time as I recall.

Rogues are probably the most fun class in DA:I.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

Dagger rogues just absolutely shred everything in Inquisition. They're a bit glass cannonish until you get equipment but man once you do they're just dumb. That's true for most classes of course but a Tempest Rogue with crafted daggers can shred a Dragon on Nightmare in under a minute.

Of course it's been a while since I played it but I remember my Archer Artificer being equally silly when I did that run. Hooking into enemies and then throwing a million traps at once was always a good time as I recall.

Rogues are probably the most fun class in DA:I.

I always like the Assassin. Put down a Mark of Death/Doom, focus dump, blow the mark. Why take a whole minute to kill things when you can do it in 15 seconds.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
THROW JAR OF LIGHTNING AT SELF. SCREAM. KILL EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU DIE. THIS IS HOW THE MATRIX WORKS.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I wonder why they've never fixed the strange audio bug when you first go to the Temple of Sacred Ashes. I don't know how it is for a male, but with a female inquisitor, when you hear her interrupt Corypheus's ritual, she says "what's going on here?" in the most casual tone - it's actually a line from a later scene with Dorian and Giselle. In the Fade it's a different lineread and much more appropriate.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eating only apples posted:

I wonder why they've never fixed the strange audio bug when you first go to the Temple of Sacred Ashes. I don't know how it is for a male, but with a female inquisitor, when you hear her interrupt Corypheus's ritual, she says "what's going on here?" in the most casual tone - it's actually a line from a later scene with Dorian and Giselle. In the Fade it's a different lineread and much more appropriate.

I noticed that too when I was playing and I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not. It made me laugh though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Speaking of SEEN ANY ELVES, I think it's pretty likely that we will get a Dalish party member in DA4. Seeing them react to the revelations about their gods, helping them with their crisis of faith, if you screw up they join Solas, etc.

I can't remember, but Anders can die in Awakening, right? So they could bring back Velanna as one of Solas' supporters.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

eating only apples posted:

They all do that, it's not until you hit the Fade that your character sounds like they actually walked in on something terrible. *sees old woman suspended in the air with a giant ugly dude clutching a glowing ball* "What's going on here? :effort:"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Torrannor posted:

Speaking of SEEN ANY ELVES, I think it's pretty likely that we will get a Dalish party member in DA4. Seeing them react to the revelations about their gods, helping them with their crisis of faith, if you screw up they join Solas, etc.

I can't remember, but Anders can die in Awakening, right? So they could bring back Velanna as one of Solas' supporters.

They don't even bother to give "is this person alive y/n" triggers for Velanna or the little dwarf rogue from Awakenings, you will never see those characters again. Which is a shame because I liked Velanna's whole deal and potential arc towards pushing the Dalish towards new ideas instead of just copying the old (that they're getting wrong anyway, as we find out in DAI). Would've been a great contrast to Solas who only cares about recreating the past.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If they want to use a character, they'll use them no matter what your story state is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

If they want to use a character, they'll use them no matter what your story state is.

I just hope they use Loghain. It's hilarious to keep him alive in each game despite his best efforts at getting himself killed.

I don't know what direction they'll go with DA4 (if there even is one :( ) but I wouldn't be surprised to see Solas be more of a guy working in the background in that game. I bet the Qunari will be at the forefront of DA4 and Solas will factor in but not as the main plot. At least not until Act 3 or the DLC.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
DA4 should feature the main character as an undercover vanguard of the Qunari in Tevinter doing cool poo poo to undermine the country and free slaves and poo poo.

Basically you're just Iron Bull and loving up Tevinter.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Give us a Tevinter opener too. Just give us origins again, you bastards. Dragon Age Mania.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
It'd be cool if they did a remastered edition of origins, imo. Or at least released it for PS4.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As long as EA doesn't force whatever harebrained monetization scheme follows lootboxes on it, and allows the dev team the time and resources they need to make a good game, I'll be happy. But I'm definitely going to be waiting at least a few days after release to make sure it isn't another Andromeda.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m probably going to preorder it because I do not learn

I will NOT be purchasing battlefront 3 though, on my honor

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

cheetah7071 posted:

As long as EA doesn't force whatever harebrained monetization scheme follows lootboxes on it, and allows the dev team the time and resources they need to make a good game, I'll be happy. But I'm definitely going to be waiting at least a few days after release to make sure it isn't another Andromeda.

Yeah not making Jaal bi from the start was hosed right up :mad:

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah remember you can kill Leliana in Origins but they sure as poo poo didn't care about that in DAI.

I'm 100% for DLC Squad in DA4, give me a party that is just Valenna, Anders, Sigrun, Finn, Ariane, Nathaniel, Sketch, not you Seb, Tallis, and let's have Scout Harding too.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

DrakePegasus posted:

Just give us origins again, you bastards.
This is never going to happen again with the constraints of having a voiced protagonist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah remember you can kill Leliana in Origins but they sure as poo poo didn't care about that in DAI.

*thought bubble shows Leliana's thoroughly dismembered corpse sitting in blood* "Eh, it just wasn't my time."

Then they ruined the comedy of it by trying to offer an explanation in Trespasser.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Crow Jane posted:

It'd be cool if they did a remastered edition of origins, imo. Or at least released it for PS4.

It's backwards compatible on the Bone. :getin:

And PC, I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Raygereio posted:

Cullen became popular thanks to fanfic writers. If you play as a female mage in DA:O, Cullen has something like three lines that indicate he has a crush on you. The Bioware forums jumped on that and lots of smutfics were born.
Basically the same thing that happened to Tali from ME, though slightly less awful (people liking Tali because she was so "innocent" in ME1 will never stop creeping me out).

At least Tali is a character and speaks to you a load. Cullen is a random throwaway with like 5 lines.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I always like the Assassin. Put down a Mark of Death/Doom, focus dump, blow the mark. Why take a whole minute to kill things when you can do it in 15 seconds.

Artificer Archer has the highest damage output of any class.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I like how wherever Cullen goes, he ends up in a complete shitstorm of horror

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 24, 2017

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Ohey now we can all read Hard in Hightown:

https://twitter.com/ladyinsanity/status/945043978809987072

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The funny idea to me is the implication from the cover that Varric wrote friend fiction of fem-Hawke, which is funnier if your Hawke was a dude but he still did it anyway.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

marshmallow creep posted:

The funny idea to me is the implication from the cover that Varric wrote friend fiction of fem-Hawke, which is funnier if your Hawke was a dude but he still did it anyway.

Also I thought Hard in Hightown featured a thinly veiled Aveline expy. And the dude in the back looks a lot like a genderswapped version of her. So he did Male!Aveline/Fem!Hawke friendfiction.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Zore posted:

Also I thought Hard in Hightown featured a thinly veiled Aveline expy. And the dude in the back looks a lot like a genderswapped version of her. So he did Male!Aveline/Fem!Hawke friendfiction.
Nah, that's Swords and Shields, Varric's awful romance series. "Nothing should happen to her! She was falsely accused!"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Goddammit. I probably need to read that.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm 100% buying this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I haven't touched the Dragon Age series since I beat DA:O and got disappointed that I couldn't be a dwarf in DA2, but thanks to the Origin Access poo poo I've been playing through DA2 and decided to start DA:I for the gently caress of it. I've just done the Gunpowder quest in Act 2 of DA:2 but I want to try the newer game anyways.

I've never read anything about it and I haven't talked to anyone about it, so I have to ask, why the gently caress does my custom character look so loving GREASY? Like in character creation, the hair and beards look like poo poo and are super shiny and oily, and the character has like a sheen of sweat on them. I was able to turn lip shine off but my character now looks like they're out of shape and ran a marathon and ended up with chapped lips.