Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Paino posted:

Will this game have any real longevity? Considering there's already several cheats and exploits that can make you godly and that it's actually possible to create your own weapon with 3rd party software and then go online and use it in duels/PvE, I'm not sure if the loot carrot will stay attractive for long. And if you take that away, what's left is a game with interesting visuals, funny writing, and mildly repetitive gameplay.

For all the criticism one can muster, Diablo 3 is still king in that regard. Borderlands and Torchlight 2 seem to be more creative with loot properties (resulting in stupidly overpowered poo poo at times, to be honest) but both Gearbox and Runic Games seem to be hilariously inadequate at protecting loot "value" from exploits, cheats, duping, etc.

It's a coop game, not PvP or an MMO, so stuff like this really doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
They kind of made Mordecai really dumb in this one. The first time you meet him he's probably shooting the varkid pods you need for Hammerlock's quest, then he's completely wrong about the vault key being on the train. Next time you meet him he gets his bird captured and is confident "she can handle herself". Mordecai she's a loving bird, she doesn't even have hands.

On a side note I'm still wondering if I missed something with Wilhelm. I understand that defeating an enemy that everyone builds up as being strong can make you feel badass, but if he turns out to be really easy it just makes everyone who built him up look like an idiot.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Attention Horse posted:

It's a coop game, not PvP or an MMO, so stuff like this really doesn't matter.

I think it does though, because BL2 loot system is very well designed and possibly the only reason why the game might still be played months from now. If you can cheat your way around it with little to no effort, I can see BL2 dying pretty quickly, DLC's or not.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^
BL1 had the same issue and people played that poo poo for years and compared to the new game, BL2 is way way better than the first.

Cicadalek posted:

They kind of made Mordecai really dumb in this one. The first time you meet him he's probably shooting the varkid pods you need for Hammerlock's quest, then he's completely wrong about the vault key being on the train. Next time you meet him he gets his bird captured and is confident "she can handle herself". Mordecai she's a loving bird, she doesn't even have hands.

On a side note I'm still wondering if I missed something with Wilhelm. I understand that defeating an enemy that everyone builds up as being strong can make you feel badass, but if he turns out to be really easy it just makes everyone who built him up look like an idiot.

I think the thing with Wilhelm is just the game trying to further make a point that the old group from BL1 are done with. They had their 15 min of fame and now that that is all done and over with, a new enemy has moved in that they can't handle. The new group of vault hunters is supposed to be leagues beyond the old group. There are a lot of subtle flaws shown with the old group this time around (Lilith becoming an addict, Roland getting out of touch with combat and more worried with being a figurehead and commanding, I mean for fucks sake he got caught taking a piss, and Mordecai seems to have become a bit of a drunk whose lost everything). There are other hints, like when you are fighting alongside Roland for a brief moment, if you are Axton, your turret is leagues beyond Roland's old POS, both in design and damage regardless which tree you take it down.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Paino posted:

I think it does though, because BL2 loot system is very well designed and possibly the only reason why the game might still be played months from now. If you can cheat your way around it with little to no effort, I can see BL2 dying pretty quickly, DLC's or not.

Just because you can cheat in a game, does not mean you will or must. You would never you that you can even do that if you just load up the game after downloading it from steam and play it. You have to actively seek out ways to cheat/modify the game, if you fail to realize the potential consequences to your longterm gameplay enjoyment that is your fault entirely.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Paino posted:

So the people who give a poo poo about that won't mess with that sort of stuff. The people who like ridiculous over-the-top poo poo that even the game can't generate will and have fun with that poo poo because that's what they like.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Enzer posted:

There are other hints, like when you are fighting alongside Roland for a brief moment, if you are Axton, your turret is leagues beyond Roland's old POS, both in design and damage regardless which tree you take it down.
Yeah, that was pretty funny. I got all :3: when I saw him throw it out on the dam and decided to not drop mine so his could get some kills :unsmith:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Cicadalek posted:

I feel like I'm pointing out the obvious here if you've played 10-15 minutes after that buuut its a trap!.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Paino posted:

Borderlands 2 will be fine. People still play Diablo 2 and you could mod the poo poo out of that since always.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

I'm finding this game really quite difficult with zer0.

I have like 3 SMG's and a really powerful jacobs sniper rifle I use for pretty much everything. I usually use a rifle to clear poo poo out, and once it looks somewhat stable I head into towns with a flame/corrosive smg out to clean up. If I get rushed I just ninja my way around and take pot shots.

The only time I really die is when I get overwhelmed big time by RPGs or trip over nades. I don't bother with melee at all.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Drakes posted:

I feel like I'm pointing out the obvious here if you've played 10-15 minutes after that buuut its a trap!.

That is also a good point.. in my game he just kind of ran away from me and never attacked. I don't know if that was just him being buggy, or if that was intended.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

-Troika- posted:

You know, They just might. I mean, we never actually see him die-- he gets shot and then falls over, and then Jack does his mumbo jumbo on Lilith and then you're teleported away. :iiam:

Bigass ending spoilers:

The ending art sequence have them standing at Roland's grave. To be fair, it's not like we know his body is explicitly buried there - could just be a monument or something - but it seems as though they've recognized his death and done some sort of burial.

boondocksts
Sep 28, 2004
the blazing s4
While going to sanctuary for the first time, I managed to get a bunch of scalps for Hammerlock, but I can't find him back at his base. I even had the quest enabled and the map wasn't showing the objective diamond anywhere. Does he go somewhere else?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

How do you fight Terramorphus? And is it only possible on pt2?

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

boondocksts posted:

While going to sanctuary for the first time, I managed to get a bunch of scalps for Hammerlock, but I can't find him back at his base. I even had the quest enabled and the map wasn't showing the objective diamond anywhere. Does he go somewhere else?

He's in Sanctuary, in Moxxi's bar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Genocyber posted:

How do you fight Terramorphus? And is it only possible on pt2?

Yeah, leave that for PT2.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Drakes posted:

That doesn't change the fact that Roland & co were making GBS threads themselves at the mention of this guy though. I understand, they're not the stars of the story anymore, but they killed some far more impressive poo poo than a single robot guy in their time. General Knoxx was basically even the same thing! Defeating Wilhelm didn't make me go "Wow I must be STRONG" it made me think "why is everyone so wrong about this"

It would have made a lot more sense if Jack mentioned that he was intentionally weak/ not the real deal , allowing you to defeat him and take the trap core. Then they could have reintroduced him later and said "Now the gloves come off, you gotta fight the REAL Wilhelm" and made him a lot more intimidating - but then you beat him, and feel badass.

I like to criticize, but I have to mention that this game handles the plot WAY better than Diablo 3. When Jack calls and taunts you hes actually taunting you, not just going "Well you may have beaten my robots but you will never beat THESE robots"

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So I finally got around to doing the "Out of Body" quest and gently caress me if the talking shotgun is not the best thing in a game ever. My only regret is that I'm already outleveled for it.

"SUCK IT."

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Eriic posted:

I think I just encountered a really awful bug. A few days ago I was playing co-op in True Vault Hunter mode before I had actually beaten the first playthrough on my character. Fast forward to today, I'm in TVH now, playing solo. I occasionally get the popup asking if I want to skip quests that I've already completed and I always select "no". I decide to take a break after getting back to the relocated Sanctuary and picking up a bunch of side quests. Welp, I just loaded my game and about half of the quests that I just picked up are marked as complete and gone from my active quests. In addition, the story progress skipped from the beginning of the Wildlife Preserve straight to the missions in Opportunity. I think the game somehow decided that I want to skip every quest that I had completed in co-op. :smith:

This just happened to me too and I'm really pissed about it, especially since I joined a co-op mission towards the end of it and it was major story and now I don't get to see like 80% of a huge part of the game until I do it on my siren or something.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Cicadalek posted:

That doesn't change the fact that Roland & co were making GBS threads themselves at the mention of this guy though. I understand, they're not the stars of the story anymore, but they killed some far more impressive poo poo than a single robot guy in their time. General Knoxx was basically even the same thing! Defeating Wilhelm didn't make me go "Wow I must be STRONG" it made me think "why is everyone so wrong about this"

It would have made a lot more sense if Jack mentioned that he was intentionally weak/ not the real deal , allowing you to defeat him and take the trap core. Then they could have reintroduced him later and said "Now the gloves come off, you gotta fight the REAL Wilhelm" and made him a lot more intimidating - but then you beat him, and feel badass.

I like to criticize, but I have to mention that this game handles the plot WAY better than Diablo 3. When Jack calls and taunts you hes actually taunting you, not just going "Well you may have beaten my robots but you will never beat THESE robots"

I doubt Jack would have gone all out with Wilhelm if he truly wanted to defeat you. What he wanted was for you to install his power core in Sanctuary, which he succeeded in. I actually think Jack is a pretty good villain. He's fantastic at making you hate him, he's so far gone and devoid of morals that he actually does think he's a true hero whose people owe him everything. He's smart enough that his plans usually work out in his favor, but he's not great at thinking on his feet (see: Taking a massive risk in killing Roland surrounded by dangerous vault hunters and the most powerful siren in the galaxy. While it did work, it was an astronomical gamble on his part, and unlike his previous, well thought out plans it seemed more like an act of desperation and panic.). What makes him truly dangerous is how willing he is to sacrifice anything to get what he wants, as well as the fact that he lucked out big time on the eridium gravy train, but he's far from the incompetent accidental billionaire he comes off as during the first couple of hours of the game.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 25, 2012

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Tiny Tina is my favorite character from probably any video game ever.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

nickhimself posted:

Tiny Tina is my favorite character from probably any video game ever.

Really? How? She's a really bad character. She has like, 2 good lines, and all the rest are just poo poo. She reminds me of the Claptraps from the first game.

I'd actually say Claptrap was more bearable then her in this game. If only because of his party mission.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

But but but how can you like her she talks too fast and with memes and talks like a 13 year old girl man it's like she's like a 13 year old girl!!!!

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Jusupov posted:

Playthrough 2 complete, no new playthrough opened. But at least I got a bunch of sidemissions to still shoot through.

Quoting an old post but if I am understanding right after your second playthrough that's it? No more?

edit: I was told earlier in the thread that you could do as many new game +s as you wanted and that has been shaping my approach.

Whoa. Wife Turds fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 25, 2012

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just love all the voices in the game. Generally voice acting in video games is just so loving self serious and boring but in BL2 the way the characters are portrayed, they just go for it and it comes off amazingly well

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Thievery posted:

Really? How? She's a really bad character. She has like, 2 good lines, and all the rest are just poo poo. She reminds me of the Claptraps from the first game.

I can't help but love Tina, she's the most accurate depiction of a 13 year old girl I've ever seen. Yeah she's hyperactive and annoying and sickeningly bubly, because that's what 13 year old kids tend to be :v:

Thievery posted:

I'd actually say Claptrap was more bearable then her in this game. If only because of his party mission.

:toot:

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 25, 2012

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Thievery posted:

Really? How? She's a really bad character.

Opinion noted, it's wrong however.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Tufty posted:

When you first get to Sanctuary, and when you first get back to Sanctuary after it moves

Alright thanks, couldn't remember the exact places.

Tellaris posted:

Getting back to "The Bee", the legendary shield; I have just received a second one from Hunter Hellquist, the Hyperion Truth Network DJ, so unless it is a complete fluke, he is the go to source for retardedly overpowered shields. It took me 20 or so kills but it's pretty fast to do if you just save and quit then reload since he is close to the respawn point.

Seems I'm unlucky as poo poo then. Slightly over 100 kills now and nothing.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Maybe he's using one of those Jakobs shotguns that has iron-sights that aim far below the actual point of impact. My very first shotgun (from the gun box after killing Knuckledragger) had sights like that and it confused the hell out of me.

Yeah that's it - the first revolver I got had iron sights that were way below the impact point. Since I started getting more weapons it doesn't seem to be a common problem, fortunately.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Paino posted:

Will this game have any real longevity? Considering there's already several cheats and exploits that can make you godly and that it's actually possible to create your own weapon with 3rd party software and then go online and use it in duels/PvE, I'm not sure if the loot carrot will stay attractive for long. And if you take that away, what's left is a game with interesting visuals, funny writing, and mildly repetitive gameplay.

For all the criticism one can muster, Diablo 3 is still king in that regard. Borderlands and Torchlight 2 seem to be more creative with loot properties (resulting in stupidly overpowered poo poo at times, to be honest) but both Gearbox and Runic Games seem to be hilariously inadequate at protecting loot "value" from exploits, cheats, duping, etc.

I dunno, I think the number of players who will cheat/care about cheating is in the extreme minority. And it's a waste of time to really care about those people.

I played Diablo III and was bored to tears, whereas every new gun I pick up is exciting, even if it turns out to be unusable or lovely. I definitely see getting 30 hrs from a runthrow with friends and more if I'm doing another character with another Borderlands group.

Edit: Getting overpowered weapons on drop is kinda the point. It'd be insanely boring if every gun was balanced against each other. I love getting powerful guns with lovely drawbacks. It feels refreshing.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Quoting an old post but if I am understanding right after your second playthrough that's it? No more?

edit: I was told earlier in the thread that you could do as many new game +s as you wanted and that has been shaping my approach.

the last game just scaled all enemies in all areas up to levelcap+1 upon beating the game (quest-unique bosses were not replaced of course) and that is all I am expecting right now, but I would like a "playthrough 3" where all quests were scaled up to the level cap so you could at least get scaled versions of the quest-unique items like Law and Order. but I am not expecting it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Pollyanna posted:

Bigass ending spoilers:

The ending art sequence have them standing at Roland's grave. To be fair, it's not like we know his body is explicitly buried there - could just be a monument or something - but it seems as though they've recognized his death and done some sort of burial.

In response to Bigass ending spoilers

Yeah, but it does seem like they set it up in a way to bring back Roland if they wanted too. They never mentioned actually getting Roland's body out of there, so it would be easy enough to have an ECHO from Jack shortly after that fight mention how Lilith teleported Roland's body out of there when she blasted you, then have another ECHO mention a village getting defended by some ripped dude and a Turret or something I dunno.

rikatix
Aug 24, 2010
I agree that the voice acting in this game is just ridiculously amazing. I mean seriously when a psycho runs at me and rolls around on the ground saying crazy poo poo about their lunch boxes and eating babies, I can't help but laugh. Tina was amazing and I highly recommend everyone to listen to the entire Shooty McFace tirade if you haven't yet.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Drakes posted:

I thought I was going to be way overleveled and coast through everything after doing all the sidequests after the wildlife place. Then I reached Opportunity and...well....gently caress robots.

Elemental damage really keeps me from tanking everything coming my way.
to be fair, even in the first game all the side and story quests were set up so that doing all the available side quests before continuing the story usually puts you at about, or slightly above the intended level for the quest. at least it seemed that way to me

BleakD
May 4, 2012
Had some insane fun with RNG last night. Was playing my gunzerker with 5/5 inconceivable and a double barrel shotgun. Managed to fire 25 double blasts without having to reload. It was a literal wall of death and I just kept mashing the fire button until I got the reload animation. This game is loving awesome.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

NextTime000 posted:

the last game just scaled all enemies in all areas up to levelcap+1 upon beating the game (quest-unique bosses were not replaced of course) and that is all I am expecting right now, but I would like a "playthrough 3" where all quests were scaled up to the level cap so you could at least get scaled versions of the quest-unique items like Law and Order. but I am not expecting it.

Yeah, I want to know if I will be able to fight unique quest enemies, etc. that don't respawn and I can't get a clear answer from anyone.

Also, is there a complete list of what unique enemies respawn/can be killed outside of quests and which don't/cant'?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

I've fought Wilhelm a couple of times and it's hard to be sure over all the noise of four people shooting him but isn't he spewing error messages the entire time? He hardly attacks you at all. I assumed that Jack had sabotaged him to ensure you got away with the shield thing.

Edit: also I remember Angel being the only one who was totally confident that you could beat him. Presumably she would have known.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 25, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The whole "hey WHOA look at how wacky and zany I am, aren't I just SO OFFENSIVE and OVER THE TOP... eat babies lol" crap is pretty dumb, but there are some genuinely funny moments in the game, like where Hammerlock talks about the scientific integrity and his academic curiosity of some bug's metamorphic process and how fascinating it is and he's condemning people for not having the same view, then the second the thing hatches he interrupts himself and starts shrieking at the top of his lungs for you to kill it oh god it's hideous.

Also, towards the beginning of the game, the Bonerfarts and Butt Stallion bits are pretty good too.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

I'm finding this game really quite difficult with zer0.

Zero works really well in teams but solo he can have issues since a lot of enemies will face you while you attack them and their weak points that you need to snipe are behind or on the side of them so theres no reliable way to deal with them that doesn't involve you burning through a shitton of ammo or taking a shitton of damage.

In teams though I just sit around sniping half the bandits in a camp becuase once you get some levels as zero you can reliably oneshot most of the smaller, non-badass enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

I've fought Wilhelm a couple of times and it's hard to be sure over all the noise of four people shooting him but isn't he spewing error messages the entire time? He hardly attacks you at all. I assumed that Jack had sabotaged him to ensure you got away with the shield thing.

Edit: also I remember Angel being the only one who was totally confident that you could beat him. Presumably she would have known.

Yeah, this is also what I was going to point out, the old group was making GBS threads themselves when Wilhelm showed up and Angel is all calm and going on about how she knows that you can beat him. I'm unsure about the error messages, since there was too much noise, but every time I've fought him, all he's done rum around in a tight circle, flailing his arms in the air. I think that Jack ordered Angel to subvert his programming or something.

• Locked thread