Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did someone actually make the ZTL brakes for Buell, or was it something they made in-house? I know most manufacturers shy away from doing their own brakes these days.

They were done by Nissin, I think only the very first Buells with single-digit production numbers had home-made brakes (for some reason), but those weren't ZTL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Nah, not Harleyrider at all, every rider under the sun has done this. My friends had this same crash but on a ninja 250.

What is notable is the uploader's comments.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

thylacine posted:

Some people like different things. This is the goon dilemma.

I know this is a few pages back, but this is the post of the year. It should rightly become a thread tag line.

nsaP posted:

Nah, not Harleyrider at all, every rider under the sun has done this.

Had it almost happen to me once when I was newer to riding. The voice inside my head screamed "Lean! fucker!" and I managed to avoid hitting th guardrail.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

MoraleHazard posted:

I know this is a few pages back, but this is the post of the year. It should rightly become a thread tag line.

That's not the full Goon Dilemma, it's "Some people like different things, and that's okay". Goons here can't accept 'that's okay', they have to convince all that they are the correct ones and everyone should think what they think. Anyone disagreeing is a personal affront that must be dealt with until everyone agrees with everyone.

I remember when SomethingAwful was a forum where you could make fun of things. Now people are taking that kind of poo poo way too seriously.

Now, that doesn't mean that you can't have fun with it though. For a recent example, the Grom. I really don't give two shits about the Grom, I doubt I'd buy one but it looks like it can be fun. What's more fun is maintaining a false vendetta against something to rile up others, it gives those Grom lovers someone to go against and a feeling of unity. Simply making fun of someone for dropping 4k on a pit bike is no fun, much more fun to make people think that you're frothing with rage at the thought that even one person might find that abomination of a 'motorcycle' cool.

Makes me miss the old mootmoot and his scooter vendetta.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Why in the hell do people post their own videos of that kind of behavior?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Because they are so clueless about the skills or general knowledge needed to ride proficiently they don't realize how terrible they actually are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

https://twitter.com/calcrutchlow/status/374487149758128128

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 3, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nsaP posted:

That's not the full Goon Dilemma, it's "Some people like different things, and that's okay". Goons here can't accept 'that's okay', they have to convince all that they are the correct ones and everyone should think what they think. Anyone disagreeing is a personal affront that must be dealt with until everyone agrees with everyone.

I remember when SomethingAwful was a forum where you could make fun of things. Now people are taking that kind of poo poo way too seriously.

Now, that doesn't mean that you can't have fun with it though. For a recent example, the Grom. I really don't give two shits about the Grom, I doubt I'd buy one but it looks like it can be fun. What's more fun is maintaining a false vendetta against something to rile up others, it gives those Grom lovers someone to go against and a feeling of unity. Simply making fun of someone for dropping 4k on a pit bike is no fun, much more fun to make people think that you're frothing with rage at the thought that even one person might find that abomination of a 'motorcycle' cool.

The Grom owns.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

Look I don't care what SomethingAwful is as long as it's not friendly to Wes Siler.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

Maybe you should get a "Depends Muzzle" for the poo poo coming out of your old rear end mouth grandpa.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Look I don't care what SomethingAwful is as long as it's not friendly to Wes Siler.

The only acceptable humor is MY HUMOR.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Nah, not Harleyrider at all, every rider under the sun has done this. My friends had this same crash but on a ninja 250.

What is notable is the uploader's comments.

It's definitely happened to practically everyone. I think it's Harleyrider in the sense that your friend (I assume) was riding a ninja 250 because he/she was learning to ride, whereas this guy hopped on a big fuckoff Harley and decided he would be born-again wild. Then he acts like a giant manbaby about his total inadequacy instead of learning to ride.

That to me is the Harley stereotype to a T.

Linedance posted:

Maybe you should get a "Depends Muzzle" for the poo poo coming out of your old rear end mouth grandpa.

AHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA. Fantastic.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This is fascinating. It explains it so well.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

blackmanjew posted:

Don't know why but all of a sudden I really, really want a 990 Super Duke.

Yes, you do. You probably also don't want your motorbike license at the same time, but at least you'll have a grin from ear to ear as the officer puts you in cuffs and the tow truck is taking your bike away.

I've promised my wife I'm going to resist test riding the 1290 when it arrives here, it might too hard to leave the store without being on a new KTM.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

blackmanjew posted:

Don't know why but all of a sudden I really, really want a 990 Super Duke.

I have similarly lustful thoughts about the 990 SMT.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

snail posted:

Yes, you do. You probably also don't want your motorbike license at the same time, but at least you'll have a grin from ear to ear as the officer puts you in cuffs and the tow truck is taking your bike away.

I've promised my wife I'm going to resist test riding the 1290 when it arrives here, it might too hard to leave the store without being on a new KTM.

I mentioned to my wife that I might not go racing and instead would buy a KTM 1290 and she immediately said that wasn't a possibility and that I was going racing if I liked it or not.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Just a doodle about motorcycles the author made in a comic I was reading online:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Here's the video of when I went through Times Square.

Things to look for:
-Cops not giving a gently caress except to keep people out of the street
-A woman in body paint advertising something
-Panhandlers with funny signs
-A bride and groom (I never saw them, but someone told me the bride tried to get on his bike with him)
-A bike courier almost getting wrecked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ5oKBVsLN8

Sidenote: I'm pretty sure you can't hear my DRZ at all in that. I never bothered revving the engine.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Your poor rev limiter.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Deeters posted:

Here's the video of when I went through Times Square.

Things to look for:
-Cops not giving a gently caress except to keep people out of the street
-A woman in body paint advertising something
-Panhandlers with funny signs
-A bride and groom (I never saw them, but someone told me the bride tried to get on his bike with him)
-A bike courier almost getting wrecked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ5oKBVsLN8

Sidenote: I'm pretty sure you can't hear my DRZ at all in that. I never bothered revving the engine.

Yall should have hit Time Square bosozoku style

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

ought ten posted:

Your poor rev limiter.

Seems to be someone else around him doing that, he's on a Drz. Is bouncing off the rev limiter a "thing"? I've seen people do it as a joke, but never that consistent.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Took some stills from a video of a ride I took recently, not bad for video stills.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

HNasty posted:

Took some stills from a video of a ride I took recently, not bad for video stills.

Can't be you, it's not raining.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

HNasty posted:

:stare: Those are really good. Very nice.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Look at all that chrome!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

HNasty posted:

You've got a mount that you use with a DSLR (or micro 4/3, or something like that), right? I'd be scared of losing my DSLR if I did that.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

You've got a mount that you use with a DSLR (or micro 4/3, or something like that), right? I'd be scared of losing my DSLR if I did that.

Nah these are from my chest mount go-pro

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gopro 3 Black, correct? The black levels give it away, unless you did that in post.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Gopro 3 Black, correct? The black levels give it away, unless you did that in post.

Just pressed Shift+S while playing the files in VLC

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

HNasty posted:

Nah these are from my chest mount go-pro

Color me impressed.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

Yall should have hit Time Square bosozoku style

And all revved out a song in unison? I wish that group had the organization to pull it off.

velocross posted:

Seems to be someone else around him doing that, he's on a Drz. Is bouncing off the rev limiter a "thing"? I've seen people do it as a joke, but never that consistent.

It's basically everyone else around me. Half the bikes in that ride had wide open exhausts.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Deeters posted:

It's basically everyone else around me. Half the bikes in that ride had wide open exhausts.

That's seriously not you? I just thought you were joking about not touching the throttle. With all the m109s I figured the high-pitched one had to be you.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hietala posted:

Just a doodle about motorcycles the author made in a comic I was reading online:

FACE DOWN, rear end UP, THAT'S THE WAY WE LIKE TO... RIDE

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

(pics)

These are cool. I really need to change the settings on my GoPro off of fisheye lense - these look a whole lot better than what mine is putting out.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

First video review of the MT I've seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs3RTfu3QC8&hd=1

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stunning engine and instrument cluster attached to an ugly-rear end bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They definitely Gladius'd the MT-09.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It'd be cool if Yamaha did a faired, or even semi-faired, version of the FZ-09. Kind of like the old SV650S or the Ninja 650/1000. I'm not particularly fond of naked bikes in the first place, and the new FZ-09 especially isn't winning any beauty pageants.

I'm certainly attracted to the engine, price, and general characteristics of the bike, but man they really didn't put much effort into aesthetics (or the suspension, apparently). Hopefully they offer a version with a factory upgraded suspension, kind of like the Street Triple R - for a price, obviously.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 4, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guinness posted:

It'd be cool if Yamaha did a faired, or even semi-faired, version of the FZ-09. Kind of like the old SV650S or the Ninja 650/1000. I'm not particularly fond of naked bikes in the first place, and the new FZ-09 especially isn't winning any beauty pageants.

I'm certainly attracted to the engine, price, and general characteristics of the bike, but man they really didn't put much effort into aesthetics (or the suspension, apparently). Hopefully they offer a version with a factory upgraded suspension, kind of like the Street Triple R - for a price, obviously.

It appears to be following the SV650 pattern pretty closely, which makes sense considering how successful that model was for Suzuki. I don't know if any Japanese make offers an up-specced naked bike in the same way the Europeans do though. It's always just been you get what you get, if you want a faster one you get the larger engined version.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I quite like the look of the MT-09 to be honest. The only 2 things I don't like with it are the huge gap/sloped area from the top of the headlight to the tiny instrument cluster, and the silver frame on some of the colour options. The air scoops look a little out of place too, but I don't mind them too much though. Its as if they wanted them to extend down into radiator cowls or something, but just stopped instead. The headlight/instrument cluster looks like its begging for a fly screen. They show one in the MCN review video, but it looked far too small to bridge the gap.

I think once they hit the public and we start seeing them with just a few simple things done, like a tail tidy, rear seat cowl/solo seat, removing the passenger pegs etc they will clean up nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I read the Visordown review of it. I happen to really like the looks mself, especially compared to the Triumphs. The suspension may be cheap but the whole package is inexpensive enough that upgrading the forks wouldn't be unreasonable. I'm disappointed we're not getting ABS here.