Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

When you look at the careers of Bergman and Kurosawa, is there anyone that prolific today that isn’t mainstream? Spielberg has made a lot of movies, but he’s not really a courageous director, technically or in his subject matter.

Miike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Depending on your definition of mainstream, Woody Allen.

Probably counts, because it's not like Bergman didn't have well-known films and plenty of notoriety at various points in his career. Like Bergman, Allen had moments when the public was paying a lot of attention to him but all through the quieter years he's continued to make movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is One Eyed Jacks worth a blind buy? I love Westerns and I've been trying to see every film shot in VistaVision that I can get my hands on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also the Before Trilogy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sanjuro is an extremely loose sequel if you assume Mifune is playing the same character

Probably the most definitive proof that they're the same person is the way he scratches his chin, no way two different people scratch their chin that way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ornate carpets in film came up in another thread and it made me want to immediately go home and thrown on my copy of Fanny & Alexander. That has to be peak Bergman in terms of set design.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sometimes I wonder if Persona is maybe not a great place to start with Bergman, because in a lot of ways you can't top it. It's mostly downhill from there.

Bergman's films are obviously very diverse though so that's not completely true I guess. There's certainly nothing like Fanny & Alexander's ridiculously lavish sets in Persona.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thom and the Heads posted:

I think I'm going to watch The Seventh Seal tonight. Is there a consensus on whether first timers should watch the theatrical cut or miniseries version of Fanny and Alexander? Apologies, I'm sure this question has been asked a billion times.

The full miniseries is the way to go, but don't feel like you have to watch it all in one sitting. It was designed to be watched in multiple parts(obviously).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

Doesn't it, though? Isn't that pretty much the only thing anyone ever talks about in regards to that movie?

Actually a lot of people seem to really like those scenes and William Sadler in the role but without having any idea what it's referencing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thom and the Heads posted:

First month with a Criterion Channel subscription trip report:

I've watched 42 movies in 30 days. All but about 3 were on the channel.
I bought a Roku specifically for it after 2 weeks.
It's singularly responsible for me falling in love with film.
As far as I'm concerned, it has the best library of any streaming service I've ever used.
It ownssss.

Your making me nostalgic for a few years ago when the exact same thing happened to me, except that was when Hulu has the Criterion library. A major awakening that happened all within just a month or two as I discovered this neverending ocean of important and influential films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Red Beard is good but there's not quite enough there to justify owning it imo. It's the rare Kurosawa that feels too long for it's own good and I doubt I'd watch it again. Definitely worth seeing just because it's the final Mifune/Kurosawa collaboration, and Mifune is great as always.

High and Low is legitimately one of the best crime thrillers ever made though, Kurosawa's versatility was really second to none.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thief is a movie that's really grown on me. I blind bought the Criterion because I already loved Mann, didn't fall in love with it right away but then I watched it a second time and enjoyed it a lot more. I've since watched it a third time and it definitely seems to be moving up my personal ranking of Mann films.

It's very real in a way that some Mann films aren't, he really nailed the balance there between style and realism that he probably only matched a few other times in his career.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I end up only picking up one Criterion in July(we'll see how it goes), it's definitely gonna be an Altman, I'm just not 100% decided on it yet. I have McCabe & Mrs. Miller and it's one of my most watched Criterions, but I've never seen any of the others that are in the collection. Last time this came up people itt recommended Nashville so I think that's probably gonna be the choice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Nashville's a good choice, because it's very rewatchable. It's technically a musical, so there's that, but the cast of characters is so varied that you pick up more on rewatches. Plus, the special features, I assume, would be awesome.

My CineD experiences from the past several years have really softened me on musicals and showed me there is a certain type that I really do enjoy. By all accounts Nashville seems like that kind of musical.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Short Cuts has a bit less appeal for me than Nashville just on it's face, I guess because I love how Altman kinda takes you into these worlds that you've never seen before and you feel like you're immersed in them. The world of Short Cuts appears at first glance to be fairly mundane compared to, for instance, McCabe & Mrs. Miller or Gosford Park but I'm sure it's still extremely good. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

smallmouth posted:

It’s the hardest to watch of the three, imo. I love La Notte, though.

Yea for me La Notte was the best of the trilogy because it still had all the usual Antonioni stuff but also a more compelling story than the other two.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Subtitles on Tati films are just a formality. I actually find Playtime to have an extra layer of chaos when it’s left unsubtitled.

Did it even have any dialogue? Whatever there was, it certainly wasn't the memorable part of the film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I gotta get the Police Story set during this sale. I will make it my mission to get my hands on that thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat, Nashville really juggles like a hundred plot threads at once, I feel like I need to watch it two or three more times to connect them all.

The more Altman I see, the more I realize that some of the P.T. Anderson films I love are like Altman-lite.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat, Black Narcissus is one of my best ever blind-buys. Really glad I took the chance on this one. Hard to imagine that the Oscar for Cinematography wasn't well deserved, this film is gorgeous.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Saw Solaris the other day at my local theater, but this is the only place I can think of to talk about it.

I liked it.

Have you seen Stalker?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Picked up Dragon Inn over the weekend after the discussion of it in here. I LOVE the sets of King Hu, nobody builds a set like this guy. I feel like the tea house scene in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was specifically designed to look like a King Hu set.

Also, am I crazy or did Tarantino take a bunch of stuff from Dragon Inn and use it in The Hateful Eight?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The setup is just too identical for it to be a coincidence, especially given Tarantino's known influences.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have they confirmed in any way that #1000 will actually be something especially significant as opposed to just another normal release that happens to end up with that number?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Haxan looks badass

It is, but definitely read a little bit about what kind of film it is before blind buying. It's more like a loosely related series of vignettes than a complete film. It's the kind of thing that would be absolutely perfect to have on in the background of a Halloween party.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh I know, but why did they put it in what looks like a kid’s storybook size package? That’s not going to fit on anyone’s shelf, I’ll have to awkwardly lay it across and hope it doesn’t fall off and get hosed up. Plus the original Zatoichi set already had disc issues with that lovely pocket page design.

For book style collectors editions like that what I do is put them on top of the shelving unit itself. They kinda act as like a capper to my collection. Because it opens like a book you can stand them upright, so I have a few like that that are lined up across the top of the shelf.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The B&N near me is really quiet and usually deserted(it's definitely gonna be closed in the next few years), so they seem to have a hard time selling those big expensive box sets. They usually end up hanging around on the shelf for months.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Yeah if we're going to complain about stuff that doesn't "deserve" the Criterion treatment then I'd go after crap like Personal Shopper long before I'd even consider stuff with some mainstream crossover appeal like these Godzilla movies.

I agree about Personal Shopper, I really didn't get why that was selected. It's a decent movie and a very good lead performance but a whole bunch of movies on that level come out ever year. What makes it so special? I guess it did win a big award at Cannes, but if they were gonna put something out from 2016 I'd rather they've done The Handmaiden or even Kubo and the Two Strings.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At that point Criterion already had like 4 or 5 Olivier Assayas movies in the collection and they've continued to add more, he's a filmmaker they like working with.

Yea I guess I can't really complain about their director preferences because I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan and I'm extremely glad that they've worked with him so many times but I could see someone who doesn't like Anderson getting aggravated with that.

Really Criterion should just ask me what I want them to put out and I'd be happy to provide them a list.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Do we know criterion’s all time best selling disc? Wouldn’t be surprised if Royal Tenenbaums and maybe Life Aquatic are up there

I remember Dr. Strangelove was actually selling out at a lot of places and I don't remember that happening with too many Criterion releases.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Cameo posted:

I would imagine Fear and Loathing is probably the best selling disc Criterion’s ever produced.

edit: everything Wes made after Rushmore was Criterion-only if I’m not mistaken because the Touchstone-Criterion deal was post-Rushmore, pre-Tenenbaums. There was a standard Rushmore release and I don’t even know when Bottle Rocket hit DVD between its release and the eventual Criterion it did get.

For whatever reason they never did Grand Budapest Hotel. I've always assumed that was because it got so much mainstream attention but maybe there's a behind the scenes business reason for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm slowly working my way through the Bergman box set, and Scenes From a Marriage is up next. I'm assuming the TV version is the way to go for a first time watch?

Ugh, Scenes From a Marriage is an excruciating watch. Right up there with Cries and Whispers, but obviously for different reasons.

I've only seen the t.v. version but yea I assume it's the same deal as Fanny and Alexander, the t.v. version the full story the way Bergman meant it to be seen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Fanny and Alexander was something that I just didn't want to end, even after 5 hours. I could totally see myself sitting down to watch that on a Sunday and just plowing through the entire thing. Scenes From a Marriage, on the other hand, was so emotionally exhausting that I needed to just watch one part per night and then recover.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly, Scenes From a Marriage is a perfect example of why I probably won't ever need to buy the Bergman set because half of the films I've seen of his have been so devastating that I don't feel the need to ever watch them again. One viewing of Cries and Whispers or Autumn Sonata was enough for me, thanks.

I own Fanny and Alexander, and I probably will pick up Persona and Wild Strawberries at some point but that might be it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Funny. Most of the Bergman's I've seen so far have been comedies. The Seventh Seal and Smiles of a Summer Night are pretty funny... The only one that hasn't been, so far, is Persona.

In the end I think it probably ends up being 50/50 with Bergman in terms of the really emotional gut punch films and the lighter stuff but that's enough where I can't justify buying a big set with that many films in it I have no desire to watch again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

I went to B&N today to check out the sale and the bluray selection was awful, their Criterion section was probably 80% DVDs. Usually I go the first weekend of the sale, so maybe they were just picked over? It was also a different store than I usually go to, so maybe it’s just a crappy location.

Either way I picked up Haxan on blu, which was all I went for anyway.

It's just completely different from store to store. B&N is a dying company so the internal mechanism that determines which stores actually get a decent stock of Criterions is a mystery but I've been to 3 stores in my area and there's a pretty drastic difference from place to place.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Come and See goes right into the same category as Cries and Whispers. Important films that should be seen by all and preserved for future generations.......and I have zero desire to own them whatsoever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

the cover of the standard bluray is not only much nicer looking, but also more visually striking and more representative of the movie

Yea for me it's the one thing I'm not satisfied with when it comes to the Wes Anderson/Criterion relationship. He(or his brother?) does these doodles for each film and they've always used them for the covers but some work a lot better than others. Not sure why Moonrise Kingdom got a really nice digibook style packaging and all the rest get the standard Anderson doodle.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Picked up a few essentials for my collection with Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and The Princess Bride, and also blind-bought The Player because I've yet to be disappointed by an Altman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You really can basically start from zero and compile a very nice samurai film collection just with Criterion alone. Between the Kurosawa stuff, the Samurai Trilogy, Sword of Doom, and Lone Wolf and Cub, you've pretty much got all the basics covered.