Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to see what happens with Belkar, it's been too long since his last homicide. Even though the Mark of Justice is lifted, would he still possibly have any subdual HP damage or temporary stat penalties? I could easily imagine his intestinal revolt causing some CON issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Protip: If you want the compilation books but don't want to spend full price, keep checking the APE Games Product List now and again for their "Scratch and Dent" sales. They shave a good amount off the price of that batch, and chances are likely you won't even notice anything wrong. Mine looked perfect. Last month I got the prequels that way, and right now they're selling the first two compilations $6-$10 off.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If they're absolutely insistent on raising one of the bodies, Malack's the only other candidate I can think of. Seeing as he worships a god of death and death tends to be viewed as an equalizer, I'd wager he's neutral-something. That would probably sound more enticing to a family of rogues and casters. I wouldn't be surprised if the Order moves on, Malack raises a body and gets all the information he needs, and the two groups collide in 50 strips from now. If the Draketooth family really is scrying on anyone who attempts to resurrect them, they might go for the guy who works with Penelope's widower-and-powerful-ruler-of-a-kingdom rather than the band of tools who already had a hand in the destruction of two gates.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's entirely possible that Malack's kids' bodies were destroyed, thus requiring a True Resurrection spell rather than Raise Dead. He may not have been high enough level back then and we don't know if he's that powerful even now. Redcloak is, however. As for Penelope, Familicide was an epic level spell so it might need epic magic to overcome. Burlew did a pretty awesome job explaining how it worked but not necessarily what it overrides. Although would she want to come back if she were suddenly (forcibly) reunited with Orrin and her kid in Heaven's Waiting Room? She can't have been *that* big into Tarquin if she spent so much time with diviners.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He also fed Tsukiko to her own wights, and before that sacrificed thousands of hobgoblins to horrible fates for his own personal amusement until the random pawn sacrificed himself for Redcloak and made him realize what a racist rear end he'd been.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We even used the same wording! Nice!

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

However we know that Belkar's will save is godawful and that it's not against his nature to murder his party given that he was ok with doing that with a simple charm person.

Was that before he learned how to play the metagame? He might still resist if commanded to attack Mr. Scruffy, though I thought he'd resist attacking Durkon since he was saved by him--that clearly wasn't the case.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The more I go back and forth between pages of this encounter the more I have reason to believe Malack was lying about his species. He's definitely not a lizardfolk at all and he's doing everything in his power to hide his absence of legs. The exceptionally long tail he's grappling Durkon with is the biggest clue, but you never see any sign of feet or legs at all. Even when he hangs upside down, his amulet droops to the side under the effect of gravity, but his clothing acts as if it's pulled toward the ceiling. Now why would that be unless he did something to his clothes to always conceal the bottom of his body?

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

If so, then which species with a reason to conceal themselves would fit what we've seen so far?

Since Rich is sticking with D&D v3.5, I'd have to back up everyone who guessed Yuan-Ti. They can pass for other species, use charm person as an ability, they can turn into a tiny to large viper, and they're naturally stealthy. They have no level adjustment and they age at the same pace as humans.

fake edit: Glad we're in agreement then

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so Malack's totally not a Yuan-Ti, he's just a very large magical sapient glass (legless) lizard that coincidentally has similar abilities and probable statistics to a copyrighted fantasy creature. Got it.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

how is it important?

For the 'spergiest of us to figure out stats and abilities to know what sort of tricks he can play in the future, same as any other character we've ever squabbled about aside from V's gender.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's okay Belkar, I feel the same way right after I donate blood too.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vadun posted:

Is there any chance Girard isn't actually dead and has some ridiculous backup plan in case one too many evil beings/high level casters start snooping around the place?

Doubtful, even though he was 1/4 black dragon ancestry he still had the life expectancy of a normal human. Soon was already dead before the Order started their quest and Dorukan was a very old man during Start of Darkness, so the odds of the corpse in the sarcophagus not being Girard's would be pretty slim. Roy even pointed out that the teeth implied death by old age.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But what if, hypothetically, Girard was some sort of sentient undead? (Not happening since he's chaotic good unless he got vamped by an albino legless lizard as well, but I digress) Would Familicide be able to target those who aren't technically alive?

...On second thought, I don't want a four-page derail about house ruled spells that was probably already done back when V first went nuts. I'm going to put myself in Burlew's position and assume that Girard is dead as a doornail and his only plan was to leave the place in the hands of his progeny, reasonably not expecting an epic spell to accidentally wipe out generations of kin instantaneously.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Check the label on the crate in #514 and #517.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0517.html

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Start of Darkness spoilers

Does that still persist even though Xykon had to regenerate his body after Roy threw him into the gate? I wonder if he'd regenerate any extra items on his person (or even a new robe, for that matter).

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

It'd honestly be a pretty surprising twist if, like Miko's missed undeadening, the whole vampire thing was a feint and he really does end up returning to the Dwarven homelands dead and at peace.

Or, building off of this, Durkon's staked and the OotS recovers his corpse, dumps it in a Bag of Holding, and runs to the Dwarves because they already know that clerics of Thor are there and at least one of them's gotta be capable of resurrection. Durkon only assumed he'd be put to rest with his ancestors permanently. Meanwhile, Malack brings Nergal's wrath because he's pissed that yet another eternal friend was taken from him and blah blah blah Tarquin wants the Gate.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I detect some wisdom in there too, enough to accept responsibility despite the easier "the splices made me do it" argument.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, and if Big X shows up right now you also don't have Tarquin around to try and schmooze his way into Xykon's good graces. You've got Malack who's in a bad mood and kind of hostile and Nale, who's incompetent. Result? FIGHT!

Not to mention that Xykon doesn't give two flying shits about fellow evil-doers, especially overly-verbose ones like Malack, and Redcloak sees every last one as a tool to be manipulated regardless of its sentience. Could Redcloak steal thralled Durkon out from under Malack if he were to hypothetically enter the room right behind them? That'd definitely make Roy flip out and blow the party's cover.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vaarsuvius reanimated the dragon head in #639 using Create Greater Undead, which produces undead of at least 6 INT. The wiki says nothing about them having any memories of their previous life/soul, but if we went entirely by D&D rules this comic would've been 300 pages long and only fun to sperglords/GitP forum members.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DoctorTristan posted:

There's one line in there that implies the dragon does remember her life (and brief afterlife). Of course it could also be that V's necromancer-splice had researched a unique form of undead that traps souls so that she could continue to torment them after killing them. It's the sort of thing an epic evil necromancer would do.

Yeah, I just couldn't remember if Haera was epic or not but anyone who's got the gold and XP to burn to create Familicide has clearly got the time on their hands to trap sentient heads for torturing purposes.

edit: okay, all three splices were admitted to be epic in #633

TunaSpleen fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 30, 2013

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So how long does Protection from Daylight last, about a day? I'm trying to figure out how long Durkon has to get his poo poo together, even with the staff as backup. Even with fast healing, does he require sleep or some mandatory period of downtime at all, or will briefly trancing/meditating replenish spells (deity to be determined later)?

I can also picture the following two gags if he rejoins the Order:
1. Belkar surrounding himself and Mr. Scruffy in garlic and claims he's had it because he's a chef
2. Durkon borrowing Girard's sarcophagus, leading to everyone bitching about hauling it across the desert (...which makes me wonder once again if there was any significance to those bone bits or whatever falling out in #905)

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

It would beat the keystone cops for sure.

Or Therkla, the slightly-shunned half-orc who went to ninja school and killed her way to the top before accepting mercenary work for Kubota. That's all the backstory I needed. If I had oodles of disposable income I probably would've picked an actual explanation of how Haley, Celia, and Belkar got Roy's bone golem corpse back simply because they implied they never wanted to speak of it again.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My favorite subtle detail was the horrified expression on Nale's face in the corner while Durkon killed Z.

tylertfb posted:

If Rich doesn't make a "Durkon is REALLY afraid of oak trees now" joke soon, he's blowing it.

Seconded. It'll probably be another palm tree like in Sandsedge unless they get the hell out of Dodge soon.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Theler posted:

I am hoping to see Z's corpse thrown into the rift.

It's amazing how little respect the deceased get in the Stickiverse since resurrection is such a viable option. The only real reverence to any corpses have been to Shojo and maybe the Cliffport cop. I mean, Roy was hauled around in a wagon with a pine tree air freshener, the teleporting Azurite wizard's skeleton was used as a puppet by Shojo, Evil V abandoned his/her family again with a melted house covered in the splatters of dead black dragon, Kubota was blown to the wind, multiple kobolds have been used as hats and dipping sauces... not even going into dealing with the undead, Team Evil, or the sheer amount of corpses that must have been left all over Azure City when the hobgoblins moved in.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even if Nale did try to lie about what happened to Malack during his brief walk alongside the army, Durkon's right there within earshot to say something if it comes up. He's already proven he remembers what he saw while enthralled.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of which, the IFCC's really taking their good sweet time holding onto V right now, aren't they? Even though the one who owned Haera's soul got the least amount of time out of the deal, the other two each got... 20 something minutes apiece? I can't find the source. It has to have been a decent amount of time for Roy to smash the gate, the pyramid to crumble while they race to safety, the explosion, Redcloak showing up and summoning the elemental, fighting it, getting Durkon back, and now speaking with Tarquin.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

He's in the middle of an army Tarquin orders around. Tarquin's psion buddy is right there. The whole Order is nearby. Tarquin is the only reason Nale's alive at all. Killing Tarquin would just be suicide.

To quote Belkar as he beat up Crystal, "sneeze too hard, and you'll burst an artery." Nale's gotta have hit points in the single digits right now, and we've seen before that he values his continued survival even over his ego.

I'm also curious about Tarquin saying "A Gate, an abomination, a ritual, and you don't even have the ritual but a friend of a friend does?" Was Nale's plan to let Sabine hand control of the gate over to the IFCC? Because Tarquin implies he doesn't want it to fall into Redcloak and Xykon's hands, hence why he'd do the same thing as Roy and destroy it after a brief study. And why he brought a whole army just in case Team Evil was still there.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But that'd be more direct than "a friend of a friend." Xykon can't even be bothered to remember Roy's whole deal, let alone some schmuck he hired a long time ago to find an amulet to control flumphs in a long-exploded dungeon.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Sabine and V are watching this on the TV.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I'm on record (though I can't be arsed to look up the post) as saying that I think Roy's energy effect happens every time he critically hits. The extra damage against undead/evil (since it hurt Sabine too) is similar to other "burst" weapons that do extra fire damage or cold damage or what not when you critically hit. Same deal here, just with custom anti-evil energy instead.

So the energy in the gate's case just indicated that Roy hit it really well, and the critical hit bonus is what killed the gate, not the energy effect itself.

My first thought was that maybe he just took 20, but then I remembered that you can only do that if you have a lot of time on your hands, which they most definitely did not with every recurring villain in the series headed their way. So yeah, I'd agree that the green positive energy flame shows up with a crit roll or whenever it's most dramatic to do so. Elan must be proud.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it fair to say that Nale got Kubota'd? I really want Disintegrate + Gust of Wind to be a thing.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know this is old, but:

Mniot posted:

Does anyone know of a game that successfully manages to have morality exist as an object in the game-world? I don't mean games that make you think about morality, but games where you could say, "sell me 50 grams of Evil" in a shop or something and have a game system that doesn't fall apart? I think Kill Puppies for Satan is the closest-sounding thing to that that I've heard of.

Fable II was the only one in the series I played for more than five minutes and it had all sorts of ways to become a corrupt demonic monster, down to eating cute fuzzy baby chickens for the sole purpose of gaining corruption points. I eventually got stonewalled on my evil playthrough when I reached a major character who refused to talk to me because I wasn't famous enough yet... probably because I kept slaughtering everyone instead of impressing them.

Also, I see a potential parallel between Belkar and Kraagor in terms of heroic sacrifice from a vertically-challenged bloodthirsty barbarian.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wonder where Ian and Geoff went, anyways? Ian said he knew of a place, but it's gotta be difficult to navigate a desert when your companion has a peg leg.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

I've lost track of some of these characters- who was the lizard general who just got killed, and why was it mentioned? I don't get how it's related to what's going on.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0742.html
He's Gourntonk, an ambassador from Reptilia. Totally an expendable background character just like Captain Amun-Zora was. He also attended the formal dinner and the arena match.

bartolimu posted:

They do have that monthly stipend from Bozzok, after all. Gotta keep the books balanced.

At 825 gp per month, the empire's only making 9900 gp per year to keep Ian imprisoned, and it's been... a few years in Stick-time since Haley ran off and joined the Order? That gold is still barely pocket change to a vast empire so Tarquin's just using him to light a fire under the Order's asses. Think about how much it probably costs per day to feed the Empress. Tarquin seems like he would get more satisfaction in hearing about his future daughter-in-law finally putting Bozzok's head on a pike after the other stories are resolved... assuming he lives that long.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vorgen posted:

Sabine doesn't have a soul, she is powered by the essence of her plane of existence. If she dies she just merge back into the plane of... Hades? Baator? Man its hard to remember all this stuff.

She works for Director Lee and is therefore assumed LE, right? Baator is the LE Hell. I guess there's a small possibility she could link to the nearby lower planes of Acheron and Gehenna, though they're more neutral. (edit: or the above post, I'm not well-versed on demon/devil origins.)

jng2058 posted:

He really doesn't mind. His troops are just numbers in a his ledger as far as he's concerned. They don't have names, just the gold piece value it takes to train and equip a replacement.

I think this is what clearly distinguishes Tarquin's leadership from Redcloak's despite their similarities. At least Redcloak eventually realized that sending his troops to their obvious mass death was morally wrong even if he's evil. It's definitely chaotic, or "blatant sociopath" for the "alignment discussions are Awful Stupid" crowd.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Since I'm sure someone else in this thread has the OOTS Coloring Book from the Kickstarter, I'd like to make sure I found all 12 extra words in V's word search.

I found Feminine, Androgynous, Arrogant, Familicide, Doily, Anemic, Hubris, Loquacious, Masculine, and Elucidate. I also see Pox, Lie, and Synonym but I thought I'd check if I'm being stupid and missing anything else. Lie I can understand in the context of the recent plot and Synonym regarding V's inability to detect gender differences but I'm not sure about Pox.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Now I really want to learn the Monster Manual entry on a Teevo, as recited by a sales associate at Quest Buy.

IMJack posted:

So what spell would be V's best bet for getting around or mitigating the next shutdown?

We know that V knows the spell Dimensional Anchor, but whether s/he has Contingency is unknown. Also, it seems like the sort of copout that works in a D&D game but would ruin the story's suspense if V did it in the comic.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ronya posted:

The OotSverse does look like a world where there are veterans from previous adventures trotting around.

Including but not limited to: Redcloak, Xykon, Julio Scoundrel, Aarindarius, Ian Starshine and Geoff, Tarquin & Co., maybe Sabine, O-Chul (we still have yet to learn how he got that scar.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

But heck, he's got that time, doesn't he? Penance isn't easy.

I just reread War and XPs and Rich says in the commentary that he killed off Miko in the fashion he did to subvert the gamer paladin cliche of casting Atonement and then resuming being a jackass. The very nature of the process has to be long and difficult, so Vaarsuvius pretty much has to suffer for the long haul. But the fact that s/he's genuinely sorry at all means there's hope yet.

Slashrat posted:

They felt pretty confident that V would make the deal even when offered an alternative that degraded his/her own importance in the rescue, but they don't gain anything from V disregarding a non-Evil alternative that doesn't actually exist.

They did have really good odds on V's willingness to be self-reliant and even attack Xykon given enough power. The Lower Planes must have some amazing actuaries.