Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Riso posted:

What's the best distro if you want a global menu bar like on a Mac?

I don't know for sure because I don't use it, but I've heard people mention the new Ubuntu LTS release has that as an option. It might be a Unity thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

the posted:

I have a weird question that I hope someone can answer.

I just transitioned (completely) over to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS from Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo laptop.

On Windows 8.1, I had a program that came with the laptop that allowed me to switch between full battery charging and a "battery life saver mode" that kept it at 60%. When I switched over, it was on that 60% mode.

Now, I am in Linux and my battery is stuck at 60%. Is there some sort of batter management program or some way that I can change the battery back to normal charging? I don't want to be stuck at 60% forever, and the only other "fix" I know of would be to do a system restore to get back to Windows 8.1 and get that setting changed.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/34452/how-can-i-limit-battery-charging-to-80-capacity

Start there I think. It seems like there are some third party drivers out there that should be able to do what you want.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

the posted:

So... I do that and just write 100?

EDIT: I tried that, and when I tried doing the second line

code:
sudo modprobe tp_smapi
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'tp_smapi': No such device
I still then wrote the echo line as

code:
echo 99 | sudo tee /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/stop_charge_thresh
but my battery remains at 59.0% :(

What model of Lenovo do you have?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

the posted:

And my second problem:

I disabled my touchpad last night by going into the mouse options and disabling it. Today I went to enable it, and there's no option any more in the mouse options.

Lenovo Z400 touch, and I'm on Ubuntu 14.04.

I've heard that you can type "xinput list" in the terminal, see what the touchpad is, and turn it back on, but I don't have any touchpad listed when I do that.

This is a bit ridiculous :-/

Is the synaptic driver loaded?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Hmm, you guys make a good point. Time to look and see what I can find - the battery life sells me.

The Linux Action Show just did a review of Linux on the C720. Even if you don't watch/listen to the podcast, check out the page for some good links and details.

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/53067/linux-your-chromebook-las-s31e03/

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Closed-source, not encrypted, worse than Dropbox in terms of UI. Why do people recommend this?

You've got to elaborate on this when their description is

quote:

SpiderOak is a zero-knowledge encrypted data backup, share, sync, access and storage service. Online and multi-platform with 2GB of storage free for life.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

funny way to spell posted:

KDE, Xfce, or Cinnamon for desktop environments?

In the same vain, emacs or vim for text editing?

Use whatever you like. You'll get twice as many answers as you give choices.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Not sure how I missed the chrome box. This looks perfect for what I'm looking for. I had looked up running linux off of chrome, seems easy enough to do. I was trying to avoid the NUC's due to the cost. Thank you much!

Check out the HP Stream Mini. It seems like an able system for $180.

http://gizmodo.com/hp-stream-mini-review-a-deceptively-capable-tiny-deskt-1692158242

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am setting up baby's first docker container to run a simple service and have hit a small bump..

The service needs to read files on the host, say in the host's /storage/Media/Music directory. Permissions on the host /storage/Media/Music directory are 0755, so everyone can read.

When the container is running, the /storage/Media directory exists and an ls inside the container confirms Music dir has 0755 permissions, but the service can't read inside the directory. Running an ls in the container returns permission denied.

code:
# ll -d /storage/Media/Music/
drwxr-xr-x. 1 steve users 20088 Sep  6 19:13 /storage/Media/Music/

# docker -v
Docker version 1.8.2-el7, build a01dc02/1.8.2

# docker run -v /storage/Media/Music:/storage/Media/Music rhel7_lms ls -l /storage/Media
total 0
drwxr-xr-x. 1 1000 users 20088 Sep  6 19:13 Music

# docker run -v /storage/Media/Music:/storage/Media/Music rhel7_lms ls -l /storage/Media/Music
ls: cannot open directory /storage/Media/Music: Permission denied
Surely I am missing something very simple here?

evol262 or someone smart could probably tell you more, but it looks like an SELinux issue.

http://www.projectatomic.io/blog/2015/06/using-volumes-with-docker-can-cause-problems-with-selinux/

quote:

This got easier recently since Docker finally merged a patch which will be showing up in docker-1.7 (We have been carrying the patch in docker-1.6 on RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora).

This patch adds support for z and Z as options on the volume mounts (-v).

For example:

code:
  docker run -v /var/db:/var/db:z rhel7 /bin/sh
Will automatically do the chcon -Rt svirt_sandbox_file_t /var/db described in the man page.

Even better, you can use Z.

code:
  docker run -v /var/db:/var/db:Z rhel7 /bin/sh

Tigren fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 28, 2016

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
We swear though, Linux is totally ready for the desktop. Just have to extract your wifi driver from the Windows binary, setup third party repos, make sure client side decorations are disabled, ensure SELinix isn't messing with your torrents, and then configure your Aptitude to install security updates.

Easy!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

evol262 posted:

Thinkpad yoga. Dell XPS

I just bought an XPS yesterday and installed Fedora 23 on it. Everything except the wireless (broadcom) worked right out of the box. Touchscreen, suspend, sound, webcam, it just worked. Now, in order to get the wireless to work, I did have to plug in a known working usb wireless adapter, setup a third party repo (rpmfusion), install the broadcom proprietary driver, turn off secureboot, and then wireless works. Other than that, I'm very happy so far.

I believe there are versions of the XPS that come with Intel wireless chips which would be much easier to get working.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Is there a preferred local DNS caching daemon for CentOS 6? In the past I've used nscd for this and it's been fine. We're not doing any host-level caching currently at my new(ish) employer, and we've been having some problems with DNS performance, so I went to enable it. But my boss stopped me saying that sssd has replaced it and nscd is deprecated. Is that true specifically for DNS caching? I haven't worked with sssd before but everything I can find about it is in the context of caching authentication, not name resolution. It's literally not even mentioned in the list of sssd features. Am I just being a dumbass and it's such a basic feature it wasn't even worth mentioning?

Some other options he's floated are running a local instance of the powerdns recursor, or dnsmasq. I dislike these primarily because it means making everyone's first recursor in resolv.conf be localhost. If the service crashes, DNS is toast or at least unbearably slow due to timeouts. Whereas with nscd, it transparently caches lookups, so if it crashes, they just fall through to the normal resolvers. Running a full DNS pdns/BIND recursor on every host seems like madness to me.

This is for a public-facing production environment, not my home machines, so I care a lot about things like resource utilization and attack surface.

I think unbound is replacing bind for a lot of use cases. It's super simple to configure and pretty lightweight.

Also, can't you restart dead services?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

What's good container resource or book that'll easily take a non-dev through the basics?

Will Containers/PaaS eliminate SysAdmins and DevOps? :tinfoil:

Who do you think is building and deploying containers?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

IAmKale posted:

Is there a recommended touchscreen laptop model if I'm going to roll with Ubuntu or Mint as my daily driver OS? This Asus I've been using has been alright but there are quirks here and there that I think are due to a lack of fully-baked Linux drivers for a couple of features.

What are you having issues with? I have an XPS13 with touchscreen and run Fedora 23 with little issue.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Kubuntu might be a better bet, the K menu acts alot like the start menu.

You might actually give elementaryOS a try too. It's pretty slick and user friendly and also Ubuntu based.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Welcome to EC2. People do drive-by scans all day on the EC2 net block. If you're not running an exploitable version of Apache and some insecure PHP garbage, you're probably OK.

That said, you can do some things to avoid these guys. What I do is run an nginx proxy on port 80 that fronts the real web site with a specific vhost ("server_name"), while the default host returns 444 (the nginx code to immediately shutdown the socket) for all paths. Keep in mind that most of these guys aren't trying to exploit https://www.myco.com but rather are sending requests directly to that EC2 hostname or IP address, so they won't have a Host header that matches what your site really uses. If you're using an Amazon load balancer (ELB) you might have to proxy a specific path on the default host too, since ELB health checks don't set a useful Host header.

Are you using any sort of framework for your website? It doesn't look like a targetted attack, so you should be able to figure out if they exploited a common vulnerability.

What's actually running on the RDS instance that's generating the load? If it's a MySQL instance, login and run "show processlist;". Honestly I'd sooner suspect legitimate traffic or an application bug generating that kind of load than an exploit.

As far as IP banning goes, I don't know how effective that really is. If you can afford to outright ban foreign netblocks then you might be able to cut down on drive-by traffic, but there's also no shortage of pwn3d machines that people use for scanning too. Manually banning addresses that show up in your logs is, fine, but you really don't want to spend your day playing whack-a-mole.

That's where fail2ban comes in, isn't it? I don't run a web server so I have no use for fail2ban and nginx, but I'm pretty sure fail2ban can handle this in conjunction with nginx's HttpLimitReqModule. I'm sure apache has a similar module.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Cidrick posted:

Someone's malformed ansible script symlinked /bin/true to /sbin/reboot

Ergo any script or cronjob on the machine that invoked /bin/true would reboot the box

How does that happen?

Can you post the stanza that caused that?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Is there a way to find out who is ssh'd in as root? ie, I run ssh root@contoso.tld, the remote host should know what my username on the originating host is, how would I get this information?

I need this for logging purposes in a script that would be run on the remote host, so it can be slightly complex, as long as it is reliable.

Why would the remote host know the username you're running that command as?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

evol262 posted:

That said, most people inside Red Hat run CentOS, Fedora, Arch, Gentoo, or other distros (even though RHEL and other Red Hat products are free for us). It's just nicer in many ways to use one big yum repo than it is to worry about channels.

:gonk:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Bless you, generous sed gurus.

I am a fairly competent linux mans but when it comes to anything beyond basic sed or regex I fall to pieces.

Well good news, it's the weekend and you have free time to go through all of the puzzles on https://regexcrossword.com/. I recommend all of my tier 1s go through that. Once you see regex/sed/awk as a puzzle, it all falls into place. At least it did for me.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Odette posted:

I can't get a systemd user service to autostart on boot.

Not too sure where to start, journalctl --user -u program.service only shows me manually starting it.

Tips?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User#Automatic_start-up_of_systemd_user_instances might be a good place to start I guess

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Toalpaz posted:

Hey Bourricot! You're really on point with your help!

So long story shorter; when I first installed arch I couldn't use the tap to click function on my touch pad. This led to me frantically searching for fixes half assedly reading through various guides and pages on the wikis. I installed a bad systemd.conf.whatever file in /etc/X11 which may have been loving with something. It appeared on my error list when running startx. However I also had permission errors trying to run startx first while I was already on the Gnome with Wayland session! So I had to add a file in /etc/X11 > Xwrapper.config.txt > with the text as :"allowed_users=anybody". I have no idea whether I deleted this file by accident or from the start have only been using Gnome with Wayland or what have you.

When you mentioned it wasn't compatible with Wayland, you set me off on that long journey. Now I've cleaned up my directories of that useless poo poo (that I shitted up my computer with) that was probably breaking Xorg. Thanks! Sorry it was such a simple mistake, laughable in hindsight.

This is what Linux on the desktop was 5-10 years ago. It doesn't have to be this way.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

A little late with this post, but I've been running ZFS on Linux at home for well over 4 years now. I've got a 32TB raidz2 and a smaller 16TB raidz1 for all my linux ISOs and documentaries about Linux. It was initially created on an Ubuntu install, and has migrated over one entire computer rebuild and a full OS swap (running Arch Linux now). It's been incredibly rock solid. Significantly more the mdadm. It's basically brain dead easy to setup on Ubuntu on Arch (Antergos' installer even has ZFS built right in so you can create pools, volumes, etc right from the get go).

Gotta have those 4k rips of Revolution OS

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

"fedora-and-ubuntu-0days-show-that-hacking-desktop-linux-is-now-a-thing"

lmao ars, linux has always had really, really lovely security. the fact that a security researcher, not a black hat, found this trivial security hole, just shows you how little people actually care about linux that's not android

Seriously?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I may have messed up before and done bootfile instead of bootfile-name, so I'll try that next. Without that in there, I am getting an IP, and the PXE client is reporting no boot device, so I am guessing getting that working is my next step.

And the PXE client is reporting the bootfile-server IP I defined as next-server, so that part appears correct. Just updated my firmware from 1.8.5 to 1.9.0, so once I get the wife to work and can risk downing the internet I'll try that next.

Have you tried rebooting her?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

mwdan posted:

I'm looking at getting a new laptop. Is there anything I need to consider as far as installing linux is concerned? I haven't looked at hardware since I got this in 2011, so I don't know if there are any bad combos of things that would make problems for linux.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but the Laptop megathread seems to be geared toward windows.

Buy something with as many Intel components as possible. HiDPI support still isn't perfect on any hardware, but it's decent. All the major big players make Linux compatible laptops. You can even buy a Dell XPS13 with Linux pre-installed.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

I need to give someone (remote) a Linux primer/kickstart over 3 months. Does anyone know of any interactive labs from the perspective of 'managing remote hosts via ssh' that basically covers from the ground up "Here's ls; it shows you things, here's cd; it's how you move around. Here's an overview of these stupid 3 numbers and how they dictate what you can & cannot do."

Any recommendations for open courseware, interactive shell tutorials or video series are greatly appreciated. To be explicitly clear I do not want a "Install Ubuntu on your computer in 5 easy steps" or really, any time of local Linux setup guide, type of experience and don't have time to explain "/var/log/ is where to look first when things break" type of thing. Paid is fine, free is better :cheers:

I've heard great things about Linux Academy, but I've never used it myself. I think Codeacademy has a Linux basics course too.

This one seems like a good command line introduction.

https://linuxacademy.com/linux/training/course/name/mastering-the-linux-command-line

Tigren fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 19, 2017

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I find that I've gotten to where I barely care about my windowing system. It can be Windows, Gnome, KDE, whatever.

I live in my browser and the couple of programs I use...what the windowing system looks like, or how it works doesn't seem to matter much.

This x10000. Especially now that all three major OS's have Bash, I just live in Chrome/IDE/Terminal.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

We haven't actually tried it in Ubuntu; we observed this in OpenSUSE and NixOS. The Ubuntu bugs were just the first ones that showed up in Google, but it's not an Ubuntu-specific problem.

I've run Fedora 23-25 on my touchscreen XPS 13 with no issues whatsoever with the touchscreen. I have no clue what NixOS is but maybe try Fedora like evol mentioned. It works.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Zero Gravitas posted:

I can ping either machine from the other.

After dicking around in the Sharing menu on the Fedora machine, the FM sharing folders for images and videos shows up on the W10 machine, but nothing else. If I try and open "Windows Network" in Files: "Unable to access location; failed to retrieve share list from server: no such file or directory" which googling for simply tells me that Samba isnt working.

If I right click on a folder on my FM and select properties, I dont get an option to enable network sharing, just "Basic" and "Permissions".

I have an entire terabyte drive on WM marked for sharing with open as gently caress permissions for loving everyone/thing.

Nothing is working.

As anthonypants already alluded to, you might need

# firewall-cmd --permanent --add-service=samba
# firewall-cmd --reload

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

lemonslol posted:

Where do you guys get news or stay current on things going on with Linux?

In what sense? Kernel news? Desktop news? Server news? Gaming on Linux?

A few that are active and can be useful:

https://lwn.net/
http://www.phoronix.com
https://news.ycombinator.com/
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com (Podcast network with an OSS/nix lean)
https://techcrunch.com/ (For picking up on what trendy topic is still being forced but still failing)

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Buffis posted:

I have been a Linux user on-and-off for 15 years or so, but haven't really used it much on a laptop for at least 5 years or something.

I've realized that I don't really play much games on laptop any more, so thought I'd just go full Linux on my new one (Dell XPS 13).

What distros should I be considering?

Usage will mainly be dev-related things, and various normal desktop things like surfing the web and whatnot.
Have typically been using Ubuntu for my last few installs, but I have played around with Debian, Slackware and at some point Gentoo and some other ones a long while ago.

Should I just be safe and boring and go with Ubuntu, or is there some new cool trendy distro that all the cool devs are using?

Stick with Fedora or Ubuntu. They both work really well out of the box and require minimal fussing around. I use Fedora 25 on an XPS 13 HiDPI and it works pretty flawlessly. HiDPI support still isn't 100% on Linux, so beware of odd scaling issues if you're looking at that version.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
drat! I just finished converting all of my mp3s to ogg-vorbis. Guess I'll just convert back now.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

GNOME became all but unusable as of version 3, but the GTK+ toolkit is still perfectly cromulent and there are some great WMs built on it.

Personally, I find that Xfce is a little too light, Cinnamon is a little too heavy, and Mate is just right.

What part of your work flow do you have trouble with in Gnome 3? I've been using it for years and it does everything I need it to. But I don't do anything super crazy. I can snap windows with keyboard shortcuts, launch applications with the press of the super key, it has a bunch of configuration applications for the basics.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

MisterPlastic posted:

If I bought the latest Retina Macboo Pro, can it dual boot OSx and Fedora?

The real question should be why you'd want to. Can you do whatever you're hoping to do in a VM? The new Macbook Pros are more than powerful enough to handle that.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I'm trying to shove an old app into docker and as I'm pretty unfamiliar with docker I'm unsure the right way to go about it.

The app requires a bash script and a python script running all the time. These scripts dump status information to stdout. Currently this is weirdly set up with the two scripts running in screen and then when someone needs to check the apps status they ssh in and look at what the scripts are doing.

This doesn't feel like the right way to do this with docker. I'm guessing I should redirect those script's output to a file on a volume and just tail those files when someone wants to check their status?

12 Factor Apps recommend logging to stdout. You can view a container's stdout with the docker logs command, or change the logging driver to redirect stdout to your logging service if choice like journald, fluentd, splunk, etc.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

xzzy posted:

Shot in the dark: anyone heard of or encountered a issue with OSX 10.12 ssh'ing into a RHEL7 based system?

Got a user who randomly "can't type" on a RHEL7 server. Like, they press spacebar once, get nothing. Press it again and they get a space. Or they're typing a string and input simply stops working for a few seconds. Or they paste a block of text and only part of it makes it across. It's pretty sporadic, it happens "for a while" then goes away "for a while." But it's fine if they do work on a RHEL6 based system. Description makes it sound like network problems but I've eliminated that as a possibility as much as possible. I was about to go down the "well we don't officially support workstations so you're SOL" but then another user piped in that this happens to them "rarely" on their macbook too.

Some kind of weird input bug on a mac maybe? Incompatibility between the ssh client and sshd that decides to throw away characters sometimes? :iiam:

I spent some time in the google machine and couldn't come up with something but it seems like such a subtle issue, maybe it just hasn't got anyone's attention yet.

I spend my whole day every day sshing to various RHEL5/6/7 boxes from macOS Sierra and there is no input bug I've ever run into.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I'm not sure how many times evol262 needs to mention multi-stage builds, but that sounds like the answer to all your problems. No need for fileserver containers, volume mounts, or whatever else people come up with to fix this issue. Build your artifacts in a huge intermediate container, then copy them to your final, smaller container for production.

code:
FROM golang:1.7.3
WORKDIR /go/src/github.com/alexellis/href-counter/
RUN go get -d -v golang.org/x/net/html  
COPY app.go .
RUN CGO_ENABLED=0 GOOS=linux go build -a -installsuffix cgo -o app .

FROM alpine:latest  
RUN apk --no-cache add ca-certificates
WORKDIR /root/
COPY --from=0 /go/src/github.com/alexellis/href-counter/app .
CMD ["./app"]

Tigren fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 27, 2017

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

peepsalot posted:

Are there any GUI countdown timer apps folks would recommend? Like a little mock kitchen timer that I can quickly set a time and at the end plays a sound or blinks the systray or something

Google "timer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

my bitter bi rival posted:

Yep. I've noticed that running that type of filter, looking for a "nested" (not sure if thats the right word) fact within a fact doesn't seem to work as an ad-hoc command for anything I've tried.

eg this works fine:

code:
$ ansible myserver -m setup -a "filter=ansible_default_ipv4"
myserver.com | SUCCESS => {
    "ansible_facts": {
        "ansible_default_ipv4": {
            "address": "172.31.22.125",
            "alias": "eth0",
            "broadcast": "172.31.31.255",
            "gateway": "172.31.16.1",
            "interface": "eth0",
            "macaddress": "06:d1:6f:e5:a9:a0",
            "mtu": 9001,
            "netmask": "255.255.240.0",
            "network": "172.31.16.0",
            "type": "ether"
        }
    },
    "changed": false
}
but i cant successfully zero in on anything within 'ansible_default_ipv4' when running an ad-hoc command.

The filter option filters only the first level subkey below ansible_facts. When you run the playbook version, all of the facts are gathered and then your debug task filters the dictionary.