Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Personperson14 posted:

Thirding it, they seriously own.

4thing it.

SAY-TANIC ROYALTEEEEEEE!!

Anyway, according to this interview, Yellowgoat material might never see the light of day?

That sure would suck. By the way the link at the bottom of the interview for the 8 minute preview doesn't work, it says the video was removed by the user :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Unbootable posted:

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for black metal compilations on 12"? I'm trying to keep my christmas list cheap, but I'm always interested in hearing new artists. Specifically anything that sounds like Thou, Wolves In The Throne Room, Emperor, False.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sounds like the best thing to do would be to have a browse round Bandcamp listening to a few artists linked to, or similar to those you mentioned, and then chose a couple of records of the bands you liked from what you heard. I would suggest checking out Skagos, Barghest (did a split with False), Fell Voices (on the same record label as False),Panopticon, Ash Borer, Velnias, Altar of Plagues, Fen. All the names up to Ash Borer have Bandcamps where you can stream the artist's releases. I hope you find something you like, I personally would recommend getting Skagos- Ast on vinyl, it sounds great and is very well presented, with an impressive etching on one of the sides.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Inquisition are amazing live, and will blow everyone away on the stage.

Never heard 2 people make such a racket. Absolutely massive sound on stage, and they have the songs to back it up. Ominous Doctrines... is a brilliant album. (The other ones are great too, but I think Ominous Doctrines is my favourite)

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
For me, Mgła- With Hearts Toward None crushed everything in terms of BM this year. Astoundingly strong release.

Honourable mentions go to:
The Great Old Ones- Al Azif
Lunar Aurora- Hoagscht (or whatever it's really called, either way it sounds super good)
Winterfylleth- The Threnody of Triunph
Bosse-De-Nage- III
Blut Aus Nord- 777 Cosmosophy
Kaevum- Natur
Marnost- 2012 demo
Ash Borer- Cold of Ages (would've been amazing if not for the sterile production killing all the dynamic.)
Anicon- s/t
Wodensthrone- Curse (outstayed it's welcome for me, but has some great moments)

It's been a pretty good year for BM, not the best, but pretty good.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Adversarial/Antediluvian crushes all though.

I was already a fan of Antediluvian, but I gave Adversarial's side a listen today and holy poo poo this band have some killer riffs. Are the full lengths as good? Where should I start?

Also, is the new Maveth as good as the previews? If yes, I need to get an order into Dark Descent ASAP!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
In the style they're playing at the moment, I'm not sure long songs are the right path for Darkthrone to go down :/ I do like the newer material, but at the same time, I feel apprehensive every time they announce something new.

That cover art is loving killer though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Skilleddk posted:

I'm not much into black metal, but I really love Deafheaven and most of Agalloch's stuff. Can anyone recommend some more bands in that direction?

Altar of Plagues

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Has anyone else heard the new Taake track floating around? It makes me excited to hear his 20th anniversary release in March.

http://m.soundcloud.com/taake-official/taake-et-pust-av-oeyne

Thanks for bringing this to our (my) attention! Noregs Vaapen was excellent, I still play it quite regularly. I thought it was a lot better than the s/t.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I actually prefer ...Bjoergvin... to Nattesid, but each to their own I guess. Also I am currently enjoying Ofermod's new release, Thaumiel.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

I still don't know what to make of it. I absolutely hated it on the first listen, mellowed towards it on subsequent revisits, but I don't think I'll ever understand why they re-recorded chained to redemption. It makes a comparison to the old sound inevitable, and that particular track comes from a demo that is unrivaled in their repertoire.

First listen I really disliked tracks 3&4 but the whole thing sounds better each time I listen to it. I'm not actually familiar with the band's discography as a whole, but I will certainly go and check that demo out. As I understand it most people didn't like the album prior to their most recent release?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Anyone else looking forward to the new Cultes des Ghoules? I've got a feeling it's going to be one of the top releases of 2013. Now if HH would just repress the Spectres... EP.

What else is there to look forward to in 2013?

So far I am looking out for:
Dødsengel/Nightbringer split
Altar of Plagues
Celestial Bloodshed
Urfaust (even if it is a 1 sided 7" and a split with King Dude)
Darkthrone (not black metal anymore but should be mentioned anyway)
Panopticon/Vestiges split
Rotting Christ (yes, I like the new stuff)
Watain(?)

Also I know they're more death metal but I am seriously stoked for the new Antediluvian if the tapes that were distributed at NWN are half as good as people are saying.

e: I just listened to the samples for the Dødsengel/Nightbringer split and holy poo poo that was good.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 8, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

Wait, what? Did they replace Torson or something? Cursed... is one of my all time favorites, so I'd be pretty stoked if that's the case.

It's gonna be their final release. This trailer was posted on youtube.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
2 new Celestial Bloodshed tracks have been uploaded here.

Also, I am listening to Dødsengel- Imperator now, and I regret sleeping on it for so long due to it's daunting runtime. It seems to be sold out everywhere but if anyone knows a distro carrying the 2CD, or has one to get rid of themselves, hit me up. They're going on Ebay for around £40 :(

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Oldstench posted:

New PdH is finally available.
http://en.prophecy.de/paysage-d-hiver-das-tor.html

€11 for a tape plus shipping. I'm likely going to wait for the eventual A5 treatment.

*groan*

Cassette only releases annoy me. When you say A5 release do you mean a CD in an A5 booklet thing? Really looking forward to hearing this.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

Fenriz wasn't loving around when he said they were taking ownership of their own songs. I'm banging my head and laughing at the same time.

The best bit is when you hear "NOCTURNO CULTOOO!" towards the end.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Darthemed posted:

So is the Nuclear War Now! record label everything this guy makes it out to be?

Not sure I understood a word of that but NWN are a great label. I've ordered a couple of records from them and always received them quickly. The records are always high quality as well.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

This is pretty good, I like some of the other stuff on their label, like Szron. I'm currently listening to Make A Change... Kill Yourself and wondering why I didn't do so sooner. They seem to be leagues ahead of other DSBM projects, definitely a breath of fresh air within that genre.

In other news I can't stop listening to black/death metal at the moment, like Teitanblood. My problem is, Teitanblood seem to be leagues ahead of the other bands. I'm also enjoying Diocletian, Witchrist and Vassafor a fair bit though. Basically, I really like the murky, swampy rumble that these sorts of bands deliver. If anyone has similar stuff they could recommend it would be much appreciated. I've heard good things about Desolate Shrine?

And before anyone recommends Black Witchery or Proclamation, as much as I like them, they don't scratch that same itch that Teitanblood do for me. I need something to listen to that isn't Seven Chalices!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

m-o-o-n posted:

You should probably check out Grave Miasma, Impetuous Ritual or Venenum!

That Cultes des Ghoules track is nowhere nearly as good as their best releases, namely Haxan and Spectres over Transylvania, so listen to those too.

Already into Grave Miasma but thanks for the other two!

skasion posted:

seconding Grave Miasma. I might also add Vasaeleth, Cruciamentum, Heresiarch, and Genocide Shrines.

I'm really into Cruciamentum, I've seen them live a couple of times, and have a ticket to their final UK show. It'll be sad to see them go as I think they're my favourite of the recent crop of OSDM bands. I picked up the Genocide Shrines album late last year, but I shall go and revisit it. I'll let you know what I think of Heresiarch.

The Clit Avoider posted:

Sadomator, Vasaeleth, Wrathprayer, Antediluvian, Tyrant's Blood, Blasphemophager, Archgoat, Pseudogod, Morbosidad, Bestial Raids, Truppensturm, Goatpenis, Kerasphorus...

You've already heard them no doubt, but Blasphemy, Sadistik Exekution, Order From Chaos and Bestial Warlust. Check out Corpse Molestation (and see how many riffs that would end up being used in D666 you can spot!) too.

I've listened to Wrathprayer- Sun of Moloch a ridiculous amount because it is the only black/death record I have on vinyl (until Vassafor- Obsidian Codex arrives :D )
I love Antediluvian and can't wait for their new one
Blasphemophagher were the first "war metal" band to actually click for me
Archgoat are pretty cool
Pseudogod's latest was great, eagerly anticipating more material.
Bestial Raids most recent was great as well, I really should acquire that on vinyl
Goatpenis are far better than their name suggests, their most recent album is very enjoyable.
Blasphemy rule, I need a copy of Fallen Angel of Doom though.

I'll check out/revisit the other bands mentioned, thanks all!

skasion posted:

Gilead just announced new Ash Borer - Bloodlands EP and Fell Voices - Regnum Saturni 2xLP for 2013. Which almost makes up for my having to miss their Portland show this spring.

Super stoked on both of these releases. I've been planning to travel from the UK to see the Ash Borer/Fell Voices date in Brussels, and tour exclusive vinyl just about sealed the deal ;) I can't wait to hear more Ash Borer material that adheres to the rawer, more dissonant sound of their older material.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

lordblytzkrieg posted:

This extremely cold week we've been having in New England has really rekindled my love for black metal. I popped in "Filosfem" and it felt just right.

I listen to black metal regularly anyway, but sometimes I get grumpy and jaded with the genre, until I listen to Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk or Nattens Madrigal, and all is good again.

I've been on a bit of a Dissection kick lately, and I've got a confession to make... I found myself enjoying Reinkaos :blush:, particularly Black Dragon and Maha Kali.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

m-o-o-n posted:

Yeah it's quite a lot better than the youtube preview lead me to expect.

Came here to post exactly this. May have to order it with the longsleeve. Hmmmm....

Also details of the new Horna album and a stream of one of the tracks are available HERE. Looking forward to this. I love the cover art.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Two Hunters is obviously the best. I love every second of that release.

(I listened to Black Cascade for the first time today though, and it was good. Southern Lord have finally put all of their stuff up on Spotify, woo!)

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
OK I listened to Diadem of 12 Stars again this afternoon, and although it is indeed brilliant, I'm sticking by Two Hunters.

Also whilst we're on WITTR discussion, you should probably download their set from Roadburn 2008 FOR FREE.

Also UK "post black metal" :shudder: project Caïna is writing again, has posted a sample of a new track, and wants votes for what formats the new album should be released on. The new track isn't BM at all, but I thought this was still relevant to people's interests. By the way Panopticon says his side of the Split with Vestiges is going to sound like On The Subject of Mortality but with better production. Given that album has some of my favourite Panopticon material on it, I am very excited. I'm still enjoying the hell out of Kentucky 10 or 11 months on.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Given my continual adoration of Kentucky, I'm finally going to begin diving into their back catalog of splits and full lengths. Where should I begin?

I would work backwards. The production on the early stuff is *really* ropey. The drum sound makes it almost unlistenable for me, and I listen to my fair share of badly produced BM. Anyway, I'd go:

Social Disservices, On The Subject of Mortality, Collapse (Kentucky is basically a better version of this, I'd love to hear it re-recorded though), s/t.

His splits are also really worth checking out. The ones with Wheels Within Wheels are very ambient. On the Subject of Mortality was released across 2 splits (one of which was with Skagos, which is essential IMO) and he says the new split he's working on with Vestiges is going to sound like On the Subject of Mortality with better production.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Awesome. Let's listen to Inquisition and headbang.

I like Inquisition and WITTR :/

thylacine posted:

Rad Thread. I was never really into black metal and this thread has helped a lot.

I found Ludicra from Spotify linked from some other Black Metal band, anyone dig them?

Ludicra rule.

e: If anyone is lucky enough to be at Nidrosian Black Mass right now, please bring back a report

nomapple fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 8, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

Wow, 2013 already has an insane start in terms of black metal.

Already released/leaked/otherwise listenable by the general public

Verwustung - Tunnel Ghosts (Very ambient black metal one-man project from Cali)
Fen - Dustwalker (Great album, perhaps even better than Epoch)
Situs Magus - Le Grand Oeuvre (some awesome stuff here that I didn't know about until a few days ago.
Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane (Not officially released for a while, but on youtube already, and it kills).

And, due to my habit of randomly losing track of things easily, the next album caught me completely by surprise, something I wasn't expecting at all.

FANISK - INSULARUM (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK)

On top of that, Paysage d'Hiver's "Das Tor" is finally set for release at the end of this month.

I thought the new Paysage d'Hiver already got released on cassette? Is this a CD release or another new release already?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
New AOSOTH album announced:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Measly Twerp posted:

Hey now. I loving love Volcano, and the following albums are different but not horrid. gently caress Rebel Extravaganza though, it was both too far away from Nemesis Divina and not close enough to Volcano to be good.

I'm hoping he does something good again.

gently caress, he looks sick.

Age of Nero was OK for a few songs like Commando, Black Crow on a Tomb Stone and The Wolfpack, but I kind of felt like the album had about 3 chords across the whole thing.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Someone in one of the metal threads posted about the new Sacriphyx album streaming in full on the NWN bandcamp, I can't find the original post, so I'm going to post it again in the BM thread because it scratches the itch for old school Rotting Christ worship really loving well.

If the person who originally posted the link to it sees this, thank you.

Listen, the second track is particularly good

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

nomapple posted:

Someone in one of the metal threads posted about the new Sacriphyx album streaming in full on the NWN bandcamp, I can't find the original post, so I'm going to post it again in the BM thread because it scratches the itch for old school Rotting Christ worship really loving well.

If the person who originally posted the link to it sees this, thank you.

Listen, the second track is particularly good

e: it's on the most recent page of the metal thread, my bad, but I'm enjoying this so much it deserves to be posted twice. The LP is already up for sale at Iron Bonehead for Euros, and NWN should have their copies soon.

e: meant to hit edit on my last post but obviously clicked "post" again. gently caress.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Also, Witchrist, Maveth, and Desolate Shrine.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Generally speaking most new death metal has elements of that sound in it now. Drowned, Sonne Adam, Necros Christos, Dead Congregation, Venenum, Ignivomous, Disma, Ataraxy, Dominus Xul, Necroblood, Whore (from sweden), Grave Wax, Necrowretch, Profaner, Herpes, Blaspherian, Swallowed, Grave Ritual, Ascended, Burial Invocation, Morbus Chron (early stuff) etc etc

Some other stuff that doesn't really fit but is good too: Cerekloth, Entrapment, Eroded, Bastard Priest.

I'd grab the goat molestor demo too. Also try old Tiamat and some of the older greek bands, there's similarities.

[edit] Since I'm recommending metal of death, listen to these bands or die screaming.

And these.

Still waiting for that Obscure Burial demo to appear on something other than cassette. *sigh*.

Also Drowned (used to?) share members with Necros Christos, right?

PS. Listen to Krypts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdWcSQLKp5s

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Colour me intrigued by that Cult of Fire album that's been mentioned the last few pages, will definitely be checking that one out soon.

Enjoying the new Darkthrone more than I expected to. All of the tracks seem good, and Leave No Cross Unturned has really grown on me. Personal favourites so far would be the first 2 tracks, both have great riffs.

Man I hope Inquisition come over to the UK again soon, I couldn't go when they were here with Revenge. I lament this about once a week...

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

muike posted:

Just buy his book and you will understand the place of Paganism in ancient scandinavian history!

Don't forget to watch that film he's making with his wife as well!

I thought Fallen was pretty good, didn't think a whole lot of the other 2 though, and certainly don't have high hopes for this one.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

err posted:

Anyone see Agalloch live? Trying to see if it's worth the drive. They are playing with some dark ambient band that I'm not really into.

I saw them some time before FE was released and thought they were great. If they'd played Not Unlike the Waves it would've been perfect. There's a great atmosphere to their show as well, I found it very uplifting.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Black thrash:
Deströyer 666 and Aura Noir are mandatory imo, both great bands. Gospel of the Horns are also well worth checking out if you dig D666's sound. Melechesh aren't exactly black thrash but they loving slay and you should be listening to them.

Black metal not recorded in a shed during a storm:
Watain
Dissection
Newer Rotting Christ (Revisit the older stuff for sure if you get over the production issues you have.)
Enslaved
Winterfylleth
Anaal Nathrakh
Behexen (From what I remember the newer stuff isn't that necro, but my definition of what constitutes necro is probably more than a little warped by now)
Marduk IMO the last 3 albums are good and not that necro.

If you like atmospheric BM then dig into Agalloch, Wolves in the Throne Room and Altar of Plagues, but I have mainly concentrated on more straight forward BM without the necro production value (with the exception of Winterfylleth and Enslaved who are a bit proggy). Nathrakh have a bit of death metal and industrial in their sound too, it's loving vile (in a good way). I hope you find something you like here anyway. Watain, Melechesh and Enslaved basically converted me into a full blooded black metal fan.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

m-o-o-n posted:

Don't be silly, Principle of Evil Made Flesh, Dusk and Her Embrace and For All Tid are fantastic albums regardless of what the bands turned into.

I will always have a soft spot for Progenies of the Great Apocalypse as well. What a song!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Why did I forget to mention Absu? :(

Anyway Rotting Christ have posted youtube links for every song off the new album on their facebook page for anyone interested. I can't link to the post itself, and I don't think it's in any sort of playlist, but they've promoted the post, meaning that it is at the top of the page and should be easy to find.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

If you like Aura Noir Destroyer are going to blow your mind.

This band have too many great riffs. I hope they can maintain the quality now that Shrapnel is no longer in the band, but then, I don't actually know who was writing most of the riffs. I'm hoping to see some new material before the end of the year. Also, I'm listening to Absu again and they rule, definitely a band I need to listen to more.

NWN apparently have the test press for the new Antediluvian. Not long now... :black101:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Shrapnel wrote the music for that song. Early material was mostly KK, later stuff sees more and more influence from Shrapnel (more songs on albums and contributing more solos), and Defiance was all Shrapnel and Matt Razor, with KK only providing lyrics. Keith is still more than capable of writing killer riffs, and Matt is an excellent guitarist in his own right (check the Razor of Occam material). Ian's distinctive soloing will soon be heard on Nocturnal Graves' new release.

Glad to hear it. I like both the early and the later D666 material, so this has somewhat put my fears to rest. Looks like I'm gonna have to check out Nocturnal Graves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I'm looking for more stuff like music that Horna play on the longer disc of Sanojesi Äärelle. If anyone has any recommendations they would be much appreciated, I really like this album.

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

DAS TOR IS ON YOUTUBE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeWQrrCN8jU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcimCb52O9w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEROH_gMDSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yedm2sSudD8

I am currently about 7 minutes into the 2nd track (30 minutes overall into the album), and I think this is the most intense stuff I've heard from the PDH side of Wintherr.

Thanks for this, can't wait for the CD release.