Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

DarkCrawler posted:

Started watching Scrubs...it's pretty funny, but half of the plots are

*Someone says something*

J.D: Don't say/do this incredibly dickish thing and be a total dick

J.D: "Hey, I'm a huge dick!"

Someone: "Oh my God, how can you say that, you are a horrible dick!"

J.D: "No! Why did I say that! I'm terrible!"

*J.D. makes an totally inadequate apology but for some reason gets forgiven*

*people continue to hang out with this dick for some bizarre reason*

and rinse and repeat

I actually like every other character a lot, but this is starting to get a bit old by Season 3. Does he get to be any less of an rear end in a top hat as the show goes on?

I'm not gonna lie, J.D.'s character only gets worse. If you're on season 3 now, you're seeing Scrubs at its best. It's not that he becomes more of a dick or anything, he simply becomes more outlandish and annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

A Violence Gang posted:

Watched the first two episodes of The IT Crowd (UK) and didn't care for it at all. I haven't seen a lot of The Big Bang Theory but this feels like all the complaints I hear about it -- the nerds are ridiculous stereotypes, their dialogue is just computer words randomly strung together, everybody's mugging like it's the Disney Channel. Pretty sure this is Just Not for Me but is there a point in the first season I should make it to before bailing?

While all of your complaint are absolutely valid, The IT-Crowd didn't click for me until the first episode in which Richmond shows up (I think it's episode 4). I really missed him in season 3 and 4.
Anyway, I would recommend watching episode 4 of season 3. I think it's one of the best episodes of the whole show. If that one doesn't work for you I think you really should bail.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'm still binging through The West Wing, and since I'm keeping out of the actual West Wing thread 'cause I don't wanna be spoiled I'll say it here: I just reached the end of season 4, and goddamn is this a great show and a fantastic season finale. On a show like 24 these developments would have had next to no impact, but on a carefully written show like this it really got my blood pumping.

I'm aware that this was the last episode written by Sorkin, and that the general consensus is that it's pretty much downhill from here on, but I really can't imagine that it's getting too bad. Please tell me it isn't.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Mu Zeta posted:

They still don't know how to write for CJ, Bartlet, Toby, etc. and all their scenes become a drag, but they do add new cast members that are pretty drat great.

drat, CJ and Toby are amongst my favourite characters :saddowns:. Anyway, I watched the season 5 premiere yesterday and didn't really notice a drop-off yet. We'll see how long it takes.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 16, 2011

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Judging from the other shows on your list, I'd second The League. I also see you're more of a single-camera guy, but How I Met Your Mother is really quite good, especially the first couple of seasons.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Scrapez posted:

That does help. Here I was like "Wait a second...there's no such thing as invisible dinosaurs"

Hey guys, remember that :D?

Honestly, if you're watching the first season and you think "this stuff is far fetched", you probably should give up on Lost. And I say that as someone who loves the show, even the final season. But it IS straight up fantasy/science-fiction.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Scrapez posted:

Well I just realized that I watched the last episode of season 2 so I'll be starting season 3 now. Now I'm a little worried about it but if it picks up I'll power through it until it gets good.

Be warned though, season 3 also has one or two of the most despised episodes of the show. I guess you'll know them when you see them.

Then again, season 3 also has the best season finale I have ever seen. Lost might not be the best show ever, and season 3 might not be the best season of a show ever, but that finale is something else.

EDIT: By the way, I'm pretty sure the whole "end date" thing wasn't negotiated until later in the season. Wikipedia seems to back me up on that.

quote:

"Stranger in a Strange Land" is almost universally considered among Lost fans as the worst episode of the show, and was even recognized as such by show runner Damon Lindelof in an interview. It was part of the inspiration to set an end date for the series after season 6.

Stranger In A Strange Land was after the break.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 29, 2011

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Martytoof posted:

About a third through Star Trek TNG. Holy hell was season one painful. Encounter at Farpoint was such terrible writing that I think it gave me cancer.

Luckily there's a lot there to love as well :)

I watched through all 7 seasons of TNG for the first time one or two years ago, and I was shocked (SHOCKED) to realize how inconistent that show was. For every winner like "The Measure Of A Man" you have, well, pretty much any episode from the first season as its horrible counterpart. I really never noticed that when I was younger.

Also, for some reason I hated each and every episode with Lore.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Martytoof posted:

Plus he has a tendency to completely ham up the part of Lore. We get that he's evil and has feelings, but the way he's portrayed it comes off as more comical than scary.

I'm pretty sure that's it. It's like watching Dr. Evil.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Going through Lost for the first time... I'm enjoying it so far, hopefully it's not a let down.

Prepare for at least ten people telling you that it IS a letdown.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I am watching it short term so hopefully it's not too bad. I'm kinda getting fed up with all the mysteries of the island not being explained at all. It's like the show takes 1 baby step each episode and barely explains anything. It's pretty loving annoying, does the whole mystery pick up at any point? I'm at the episode that follows Michael and Walt's back story with the wife etc.

If I remember correctly you're not very far in. And let me just tell you that the show will take some very unexpected turns in its direction. Yes, the mystery does pick, no, not everything will be explained. And whether or not you like the explanations given is not really predictable. The show is one hell of a ride though, let me tell you that.

EDIT: Just listen to what kaworu said, it's spot on.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Cactus posted:

Started Cougar Town, got a few episodes left in the first season. It's true what they say, somewhere around the halfway point of the first season, it just..... gets a lot better. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, maybe the jokes are funnier, or maybe I'm warming to the characters more, I don't know. Entertaining though, worth watching.

The only thing that had me rolling my eyes is Courtney Cox worrying about how old and unattractive she is. No love, you're Courtney Cox :rolleyes:

I've watched the first two seasons of Cougar Town when a friend got them on DVD, but I just can't get into it. I must be the only person who actually liked the original concept better. Now it's one of those "a couple of friends hang out" sitcoms. Those usually work because you get used to the group and kinda feel like hanging out with them. Unfortunately, I find each and every character on Cougar Town completely despicable, so it really doesn't work for me.

I've also recently binged through Homeland, and I can only say good things about it. The first half of the season is a LOT more of a character based drama than 24 ever was, then the second half really gets things going. Kinda gave me that first/second season of 24 feeling.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 29, 2011

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Cocks Cable posted:

What's the non-spoiler skinny on Jericho? Does this turn into a good show? When does it hit its stride?

I'm a sucker for post-appocalyptic settings and the premise seemed promising. But I've only seen 3 episodes and so far it seems just okay. The plot is at least moving. I'm not a big fan of the all the cheery soft rock backgrond music. Does that ever go away?

I'd say it stays "okay". I've seen all of it, and it doesn't suck at all, but it just doesn't make as much of the premise as it could.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Waroduce posted:

I'm in the middle of watching The Wire. The first season was absolutely amazing, and the second season grew on me after the first few episodes. I've just started season 3 and the show seems to have recaptured some of its form. I heard the 4th and final season is horrible though :( Any truth to that?

The only way in which the fourth season of The Wire is horrible is that it will break your heart and make you cry like a little baby.

Honestly, it's fantastic.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Mr. Sloth posted:

A few episodes in on Sports Night and I like it.

I just wonder what the conversation was like when Sorkin was doing West Wing and called up Joshua Malina to play a part in it --

"Hey dude, have you ever wondered what it would be like if Jeremy Goodwin worked at the White House?" :master:

p.s. Laugh-track :stare:

I also JUST started watching Sports Night. The first episode had this great feel-good moment when Casey watches the African runner break the world record, and I was instantly reminded of some The West Wing scenes (I binged through The West Wing last year).
I still find it hilarious that this was billed as a half-hour sitcom, when the comedy/drama ratio so far doesn't seem that far off from The West Wing. That said, I find it a little hard to believe that these people can fire off perfectly eloquent three-minute speeches on the issue of the week at all times. Studio 60 had the same problem. It works great when your show is about politicians and political speech writers, but with these characters it sometimes seems a bit over the top.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Count Choculitis posted:

Don't worry - I agree that the second one is horrible, especially compared to the rest. They are much better after that. The season finales especially made me pick my jaw up off the floor. Absolutely mindblowing.

I agree, although the second episode of season 2 is not particularly great either. I mean it'a bit better than The Blind Banker, but surely the weakest of season 2.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Exploder posted:

Now, I am in a quandary. I watched through The Booth at the End in a few days (which is FANTASTIC, by the way). I'm going to watch Luther, but after that I have nothing. I started watching Prison Break, and although I think it is a cool concept, I am a bit apprehensive after the first couple episodes. Should I continue watching, or is it not worth my time?

The first 13 episodes are the very best Prison Break has to offer (although I loved the whole first season). I'm not sure how far you've watched, but if you're about five or six episodes in and still aren't entertained you can simply stop.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Cactus posted:

Thanks but I think I said in my post I'd seen FNL. is there anything else similar? I was looking at brothers and sisters, does that compare favourably at all?

Unfortunately it doesn't. I enjoyed the first season, but it never reaches they heights of SNL and quickly goes down the drain by becoming, as Chamberk said, way, WAY too soapy.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lascivious Sloth posted:

X-files: When moulder isn't in it anymore(season 6+) is when it changes in style.

Isn't that more like season 8+, or do I remember that completely wrong?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Koboje posted:

I recently started watching the hell out of Season 2 of 24, after watching season 1 years back i got a bit too annoyed at it because of the answer to a question i had been wondering all season, despite enjoying most of it.

Who is involved with the conspiracies? Answer: Everyone and their mother. Especially the ones who can't be or makes no sense to be traitors/conspirators will be. When a certain someone was shown to be in on it late in season 1 i just said thats it, finished watching the season with no intention to continue for years

Season 2 has been pretty good so far, entertaining and exciting mostly (Kim is always annoying though and feels irrelevant given how serious everything else is), otherwise the question i had for season 1 seems to have the same answer here and i am getting a bit annoyed at it again.

Honestly, if you get annoyed at these things in the first couple of seasons, which I thought pulled them off perfectly fine, just stop watching. That sort of stuff gets a LOT worse as you go on. Do as Mu Zeta says and watch Homeland instead.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Trig Discipline posted:

Binged through the first season of Downton Abbey last night, probably going to do the rest of it over the next few days. It's totally a soap opera, but a very good one.

The second season is a lot worse and has a few plot lines that are just too ridiculous for me accept, even in a "well, it's only a soap opera" way (Miracle healings, convenient deaths, disfigured Canadians). But if you power through it, season 3 is fortunately better again.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

thrakkorzog posted:

Yep, while the third season is hit and miss, mostly missing, the third season finale is pretty damned crazy.

Not to mention the first couple of episodes of season 3, which many people consider the pinnacle of the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

harlequin baby posted:

e: ^ ^ Fringe, to me at least, tried to be like X-files. It feel flat after the first few episodes for me. I would suggest watching a couple episodes, but I really thought it was poor Sci-Fi.

I feel I have to give a second opinion on Fringe. The X-Files comparison, while certainly fitting in the beginning, becomes irrelevant pretty quickly with the path Fringe takes. The main arc is about a billion times better and season 3 is some of the best sci-fi there is. And with that I certainly wouldn't want to knock the quality of any of the other seasons ("White Tulip" was and still is a work of art). Fringe is pretty bold in the way it has no qualms about shaking up the status quo every once in a while, and yet manages to pull all the story threads together in a satisfying final season and finale. Along the way, you get to watch John Noble being brilliant over and over again.

Watch Fringe.