Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Flayer posted:

I just finished watching Mad Dogs (Amazon Prime original). The set-up is 4 friends go visit their college buddy in Belize, who is living "the dream" in a massive villa on the coast. Of course poo poo happens and the series follows the adventures of the group of friends as they try to survive. There are random plot twists and new characters introduced and dismissed throughout the series, which gives it a little bit of a video game air, but it's a pretty fun watch. Nothing too serious but a good background show to sometimes fully dip into. The main criticism I have for it is that it's a no hero show, you won't be rooting for anyone particularly except maybe some side characters.

coyo7e posted:

I liked this one too, apparently no second season. Not sure where it would've gone except into not the zany bachelor-party romp it began as.

If you can get your hands on it you really should watch the British Sky1 original version of Mad Dogs, which aired 2011-2014. The Amazon Prime version is pretty much a direct copy of the original but with different actors and a slightly different, abbreviated story/location. The original was set in Mallorca and Spain. I enjoyed it a lot better than the Amazon knock-off (calling it an Amazon Prime "Original" is a real stretch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Schitt's Creek has been getting a lot of play around here lately, and when we need a break we've been rewatching Bored to Death. I watched it while it was coming out but smoked too much weed at that time to be able to remember any of it now, so it's great to re-experience it. Ted Danson is hilarious whether or not you're sober.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Inspector 34 posted:

Is Daniel Levi Eugene's son?

Yes, Daniel is Eugene's son.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Elias_Maluco posted:

Not to spoil your expectations , but personally I found that it starts to get boring after season 3. Its like, the show starts going in circles, like they cant find anything new to say. For ex none of what you mention has great consequences, nothing changes.

Maybe its because they cant kill or arrest the protagonists, so after 3 seasons, all the tension starts to feel cheap. Its always: Phil and Elizabeth doing incredible unbelivable poo poo (it gets more and more unbelivable as it goes) and getting away with it, Phil regrets killing, Elizabeth regrets loving, sometimes some secondary character dies etc etc

Yeah I made the mistake of binging seasons 1-4 straight through and now I'm pretty burned out on that show. It gets pretty repetitive and ridiculous after a while.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Finished binging through Big Little Lies, and I must say it was a good ride. The wrap-up/end of the season left a bit to be desired and I can’t tell if that’s to leave it open for more seasons or just sloppy writing, but as a whole it really is a top notch show.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Unzip and Attack posted:

The commune only did this after the town tried to have them dis-incorporated. Them "taking over" the town was a legit defensive move- they wanted to have enough votes to prevent being shut down. They had no interest in the local politics until the bigots tried to force them out. And I'm sorry but in America no one has the right to be "left alone" anywhere except on their own land. A bunch of old white racists don't get to just declare their entire county off limits to people different from themselves.

Sheela's faction overreacted to be sure, but the first shot was definitely not fired by the Rajneeshes.

I thought it was that the commune wanted to incorporate but wasn't allowed to by the state of Oregon because of their religious background. So the commune decided to say gently caress you Oregon by taking over their neighbor town, which was already incorporated.

Ed- but to keep this derail on topic, Wild Wild Country is totally worth the binge.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Her beliefs aside, it is an extremely well written, acted and produced show.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Joke answer:
American vandal

Serious answer:
American vandal

Second season really is the poo poo.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

For me Disenchantment was very... disenchanting, really. A few decent one-liners sprinkled here and there didn't make up for the lack of laughs and character chemistry throughout the rest.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Schitt's Creek took me a little over half a season to get into but when it finds its stride it's absolutely hilarious.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Lodge 49 is a slow bloomer but when it does boy howdy is the fruit worth the ride.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Affi posted:

Trying Killing Eve on for size and its really not very good. Its like a poo poo show. Why did someone recommend it?

Because a lot of people think it's really good but maybe your tastes differ?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

If you're looking for dark gritty British police procedurals , never watch a touch of cloth.

In other news, everyone should watch a touch of cloth

Agreed... if you're looking for a snide Police Squad!-esque satire of Brit police procedurals, be sure to watch A Touch of Cloth.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Mrs. Bojangles and I finished binging through Daybreak yesterday and enjoyed it every step of the way.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Are you talking about Taye Diggs' Groundhog Day or the Netflix zombie thing that I wrote off ten minutes in?

Netflix zombie. She and I both enjoyed it quite a lot, but to each their own.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I liked that half the actors in Travelers were in Continuum (is there a designated Canadian time travel acting troupe?), which made it feel a bit like an alternate universe spin-off at times.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I didn't like Solar Opposites at all, but then again I'm not much of a Rick & Morty fan, either, and it felt like a pretty lazy copy off that block.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

My wife and I have been enjoying Love Life slowly this week. Some subplots and story elements get left hanging but by and large it's very well written, acted and produced.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Mrs. Bojangles and I both hated the 3rd season of AP Bio, it's either your jam or not at all. We enjoyed the first two seasons, though. They didn't have anywhere to go after the second season, so it felt like they just threw everything at the wall hoping something, anything, would stick.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I binged Mad Men for the first time back in the Winter and absolutely loved it from start to finish so I was naturally recommended to check out Halt and Catch Fire which I finally am. And I’m halfway through season 2 and I just don’t think I’m into it? Idk why, it feels like a perfectly serviceable show, but it hasn’t hooked me.

I wasn't all that into it either but I know a lot of people love it, so to each their own I guess. I found the characters and their personalities more annoying than interesting.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

All the nutbars on Doomsday Preppers have been getting me through my lunch break lately. Can't help but wonder how they've been handling the 'rona, particularly the woman in s01e04 prepping for a pandemic.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

sparksbloom posted:

Rewatching Six Feet Under for like the fifth or sixth time and looking for recs of this kind of show — low-stakes dramedy with some amount of depth. Mad Men and Succession scratch the same itch for me. Also really loved Enlightened.

Have you watched The Americans?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Oenis posted:

Bit of a meta question here, but is there a decent blog, website, Youtube channel or something with like general recommendations, ratings or reviews of new series on all the streaming services? I mean yeah there's tons of cheaply made content aggretion sites that just drop a whole unfiltered list for each streaming service, but that's not what I'm looking for. This thread is great for discovering stuff, but it feels like there ought to be more than word of mouth for filtering through the mediocre stuff these days.

Mare of Easttown was really good but it made me crave more good whodunnit crime. Or just good anything, really.

I follow the AV Club on my RSS feed for this.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I liked AP Bio first season, but after that it went straight to poo poo.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Cactus posted:

I'll trust that list cos Jett is on it. Going to try the Mick next.

Great choice! My wife and I finished the Mick recently and enjoyed the whole run very much.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I enjoyed all of UnREAL and it completely changed how I look at any “reality” show forever.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Michael Anderson’s “dancing” at the end of the first Twin Peaks episode will always be one of my favorite examples of TV surrealism at its finest.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Robobot posted:

How is Only Murders in the Building? I've been meaning to check it out, but just keep forgetting about it.

very good

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

Is there a theatrical term for when one actor plays multiple roles in a film? Whatever it is called, I just flat out don't like it.

Orphan Black

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I read recently in Hollywood Reporter some commentary that a lot of studios went overboard in spending when the COVID lockdowns & limitations were lifted, and are now at the hangover stage having to can a lot more stuff than usual. Inflation/etc no help, either.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I’ve been enjoying Warrior a lot, but worried it won’t come back for a third season.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ok well that’s good. Better not get canned between filming and release like has been happening elsewhere, lately.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

ShowTime posted:

June 29th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXgq6xQSyko

I might have to catch up in time to watch it. That was kind of a boring teaser though.

:woop: hell yeah

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Finally got a chance to power through The Man in The High Castle… I’ve enjoyed it a lot, particularly in light of where the world is going these days.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Y’all weren’t kidding, Blue Eye Samurai really is that good. I’m so glad it got a second season, can’t wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Stegosnaurlax posted:

My buddy can't watch it, too many people that act like the people who bullied him in high school.

Same here, Letterkenny and that style of humor is the side of my middle and high school experience I’d much rather not experience again, even just for laffs. Once was plenty more than enough tyvm.

But back on topic, I’ve been forced to repeat-binge Hey Duggee by my 4yo and have enjoyed it. It’s not quite Bluey-level writing but it’s consistently engaging wholesome fun for both my son and me.