Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I just binged through the entire series of Six Feet Under after years of putting it off and I sorely regret not watching it earlier. The series finale marks one of the three times I've actually teared up while watching a television program and it's also one of the finest send-offs I've seen to boot. I almost want to declare it a perfect ending, but that may be a little too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I just went through 4 seasons of 30 Rock on Netflix and I've enjoyed almost every single episode of it. I want to see season 5, but unfortunately Hulu wants you to pay for it. I'm also interested in Parks and Recreation, but I've heard that the first season is pretty lousy. Should I skip the first season and hop into the second or just try and power through season one as quickly as possible?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Thanks for all of the people who said that I should stick with Parks and Recreation. Season 2 has been a hell of a lot better than the first six episodes and I really like how they retooled Leslie Knope from being Femme Michael Scott into a more assertive and dynamic role. I also have a new hero and his name is Ron Swanson.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

So, I finished Parks and Recreation and I think it might just be the funniest thing on NBC right now. Yes, I love the hell out of Community, but Parks and Rec seems to have a heart to it that Community or 30 Rock doesn't. At the end of the day, all of the characters in Parks and Rec seem to genuinely care about or care for one another. There's something about that and the lack of cynicism in the show that makes it stand out and I'm super-stoked about the next season.

That being said, I love cynicism and black humor, but it's refreshing to see a show that doesn't rely on that.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

DarkCrawler posted:

I can't get through the first season of Mad Men. I feel like I should like this show somehow, and everyone else does, but it just bores me a lot and I don't really like the characters. I suppose I need some crime/war/etc angle in my historical shows.

Also, apparently the 60's creep me out.

Mad Men is a very slow burn and it's until episode 6 or 7 that it starts to come into its own. It becomes an interesting character study once you learn about Don Draper's past and how he influences others around him despite his life being something that it isn't.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I've been watching Downton Abbey all weekend and it's been pretty dang good. They really should rename the show to Iceburn Abbey whenever the Dowager Countess shows up. She's seriously the best character in the show.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

River posted:

Currently watching Stargate SG-1. I've been watching it here and there for years but I've never really watched it properly. So I'm now slowly watching it all the way through, season 1 to season 10. I'll probably watch Atlantis afterward too. Won't be seen dead watching that Universe tripe, though.

Universe got a lot better in the second half of its season. The initial anger and disappointment from Stargate fans poisoned any sort of recovery it could have had however. Don't get me wrong, the first few episodes were pretty drat bad but by the end, I felt myself liking Rush, Eli and the Captain a lot more.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Firefly's cancellation never tore me up that much. Kings on the other hand... :negative:

I thought I had gotten over the sting of Kings' cancellation but this reminder made me realize that the pain's still there. :smith:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Red_Museum posted:

Is Magic City worth watching? I had forgotten it existed until I saw the first season DVDs for sale yesterday.

Personally, I think Magic City dragged on until its mid-season, then it definitely picked up steam and became something that I actually went out of my way to watch. Jeffrey Dean Morgan does a great job but Danny Huston turns a contemptible monster of a character into a character that you want to see more of. Olga Kurylenko also does a commendable job and surprised me with her acting chops. The actual star of the show, in my opinion, is the Miramar Playa Hotel which oozes early 1960s style in a very Mad Men-esque way. The set dressing and the Modernist architecture really sell the feel of the show. If you're looking for an enjoyable but not overly deep ride, I say that there are far worse shows you could watch other than it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you watching Borgia or The Borgias?

I'm trying to imagine Borgia being good

I prefer Borgia over the Borgias. While I find the Borgias to be a more fun watch in that trashier, soap opera way, Borgia feels more internally consistent with its characters, not to mention it's more accurate historically than the Borgias but does take some liberties. It took a while for Doman to click as Rodrigo Borgia for me but he delivers a great performance, as does the guy playing della Rovere. The Borgias plays it fast and loose with the characterizations which is probably my biggest issue with the show.

In Borgia, Cesare is a man conflicted with his desire and lust for power. He feels like a caged animal and tries his best to repent for his abhorrent behavior. He shows kindness to people outside of his family and seems to care for his friends. In the Borgias, Cesare is down to murder any motherfucker that looks at him wrong and goes on personal vendetta kills. The only love he seems to have is for Lucrezia and his family; everything else is superfluous. It's things like that that makes Borgia a better show to watch, in my opinion. The characters feel like human beings unlike in the Borgias where everything is dialed up to 11 to make for compelling television. I won't deny that the Borgias is great, trashy TV like the Tudors though.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 21, 2013

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I've been storming through Scandal or better known as the Cyrus Beene Own Zone and I've been enjoying it far more than what I expected. I was initially put off by it coming from the lady that did Grey's Anatomy but seasons 1 and 2 have been really strong and an enjoyable watch overall.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'd say it's great for a few more seasons, then it declines through season 8. There is no season 9.

Made bold for more emphasis. I watched the finale earlier this evening and decided to peek beyond the veil into Season 9. After two episodes, I was pretty much done. Don't ruin the finale for yourself like I did.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

qntm posted:

I got to the end of that season thinking "Fringe, every episode should have included a twist that mind-blowing, and you shouldn't telegraph them so obviously." There were one or two episodes which actually got my attention (the one which cold-opens in a totally different universe, the one where Anna Torv breaks out of Liberty Island) but overall the whole series was just humdrum. Paper-thin science, uncharismatic male lead. I also spent five seasons waiting for Jasika Nicole to get some character development, and nope :(

I still can't believe that they didn't give Astrid any sort of real character development, history or hell, anything to do other than take care of Walter over the course of five seasons. Her character deserved so much better than what she got.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Bown posted:

At least three of them are better. And Brother Mouzone is awesome.

edit: actually the chess board speech is probably what got me into it properly

"The king stay the king" is probably one of, if not the most important line in The Wire, in my opinion. That scene is what hooked me as well.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

V-Men posted:

Frankly, the chicken mcnugget speech is equally as important. While the notion that in the drug gang empire, you can only ever be second fiddle to the main man, I love the notion that those who have the wealth and authority will only ever exploit those who create or innovate.

Well, I didn't need much convincing but I think it's time for a third viewing of The Wire. It's been a few years and I completely forgot about that conversation.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

pahuyuth posted:

Finally getting around to watching Friday Night Lights. I'm only 3 episodes into season 2 but drat, this is a Good Show. I guess I was one of the dummies that thought it was just a high school football show but it's so much more.

Just curious as to what seasons are considered strongest.

Season 2 is considered to be the outlier of the seasons due to the Writer's strike happening. Seasons 3 and 4 are a return to form and easily the best of the series. Expect several plot threads from season 2 to be dropped and forgotten about in the following season because of this.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Pron on VHS posted:

So is Suits actually a good show, or is it just a bunch of good looking well dressed people saying clever things to each other? I've wanted to check it out but USA original shows seem like such garbage.

Louis Litt makes the show but yeah, other than that it's just pretty people being "clever."

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

kalstrams posted:

On a side note, will I enjoy Stargate Galaxy if I enjoyed SG-1 (overall) and if Atlantis goes similar way for me?

SGU starts off...rough, but the second season was a marked improvement and I thought it was pretty good. Characters show growth, interesting things happen and even though people gave it guff for being a Battlestar Galactica clone, I felt like the different direction of the franchise kept it from being more of the same.

Hell, SGU made the Lucian Alliance a semi-competent threat just because of the change in tone.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

nwin posted:

I don't mind him-just don't care for the plotline. Though their art teacher is loving annoying as poo poo.

That whole art school arc in that season was uncomfortable as gently caress for a person that's attended one before. I personally knew a couple of people exactly like Foster's character and the art teacher isn't far from the truth either.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

EC posted:

It's about a family (the Borgias) who manipulated themselves to the top of the Italian society (guy is literally the pope) despite/because they're horrible people. The showtime version is pretty good, and Jeremy Irons is very good in it. There's another version that has the police chief from the Wire as the main guy, and that one was terrible. Pretty funny seeing a pope talk like a guy from Baltimore, though.

Did you watch any of Borgia because it was the superior show by season 2. I loved Showtime's show almost exclusively because of Jeremy Irons but Borgia's supporting cast is great. Also, John Doman doesn't speak with an Baltimore Accent in the show, he just uses his natural accent in lieu of using a fake British one.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

EC posted:

I gave up on the non-Showtime one pretty quick, so if it gets better that's good to hear.

I recommend it because it starts to get pretty drat good when Cesare finally goes full bonkers.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Ebjan posted:

How I Met Your Mother, I saw a few episodes when it had its original run but never got into it. I am thinking of giving Dare Devil a try since I have Netflix

As a person that suffered through HIMYM to the bitter end; I recommend you cut your losses now, read up on who the mother is and then promptly forget about continuing on. It'll save you valuable time that you'll never get back.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Farscape is amazing and should be watched by anybody who enjoys serialized sci-fi shows. And I have to echo that Enterprise really picked up in the last two seasons once they moved past the 9/11 parables and ARE TROOPS bullcrap.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

prinneh posted:

I've seen MASH like 4 times now (don't ask). Binging it is a little difficult, just watch an episode or two before bedtime. Alan Alda is in it to the end, which helps when it gets a little preachy towards the last seasons, but as you'd expect from 11 seasons the show has it's ups and downs. Mostly ups though. I hope you're watching it without the laughter track as that, at least for me, is the way to go.

And of course, you should be able to get from season 5 to 11 by just staring intently at BJ's magnificent moustache.

I watched MASH in syndication (since I wasn't even born when it finished airing) and I'm a weirdo that liked the later seasons compared to the first few. That's mostly due to Frank Burns going from competent but flawed human being to complete nutso cartoon character. It was so bad that Larry Linville left the show since he hated the work environment. :smith:

I feel like Colonel Potter, B.J. and Dr. Charles Emerson Winchester III grounded Hawkeye and made his more dour outbursts about being trapped in a hellhole more believable. Instead of pulling pranks, they just commiserated whatever way they could.

e: also the MASH finale is one of the few television shows that had me tearing up.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 5, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm on the last episode of Hell on Wheels season 1, started it last weekend. Really enjoying it, a bit heavy-handed in a few places but nothing deal-breaking and it's getting more entertaining as the season is coming to a close. Does it keep it up?

Trust your heart and watch it for the real hero: The Swede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Pryor on Fire posted:

Does Ballers get any better? The first two episodes sure didn't do anything for me.

In my opinion, no. It's all very superficial and none of the drama pans out to mean anything. It should only be watched for the Rock and Rob Corddry.