Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

ponzicar posted:

Nocturne? One of the characters also had a cameo in the Blair Witch computer games.

Yep, that's it! Weird how I even remembered that game as I barely played it. Good looking out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

PC game some time between 1990 and 1994

It had a medieval theme. I think it was like a... puzzle game?

Every time you beat it, they would add a new treasure to your Treasure Room in the castle the game took place in.

gently caress that's all I remember. Good luck!

Treasure Mountain! maybe?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FanaticalMilk posted:

Treasure Mountain! maybe?

No, it was a little less "cartoony" or lighthearted. And the graphics were a bit crappier. And the entire thing took place in a stone castle, if I recall.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that was my thought but treasure mountain wasn't a medieval setting. i think there were various games in that edutainment series, though, with different settings but the same basic idea, and they probably all did the same thing, so you might have luck just searching the dev's catalogue on wikipedia and then going to hotu or one of the other various abandonware archives to confirm the screenshots

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No, it was a little less "cartoony" or lighthearted. And the graphics were a bit crappier. And the entire thing took place in a stone castle, if I recall.

Like White Dragon said it may be another game in the series. It's called the Super Solvers/Super Seekers series and they're all made by The Learning Company.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Was it Number Maze?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/macintosh/numbermaze/screenshots

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I asked about this game a while back, maybe I'll have more luck this time.

It was a derivative of Chaos: The Battle of Wizards; the map was bigger and there were trees, some of which were "mirkwood" trees that would sometimes eat creatures standing next to them. The graphics were a little higher res and the color palette was a lot of washed out green and brown. It had the same top down map and side on character look.

I played a shareware version that limited you to maybe a quarter of your spells each game and you could only cast each spell once. It was a late dos or early Windows title, probably the latter.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

You nailed it, God drat. Nice. That's been bothering me for decades

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You nailed it, God drat. Nice. That's been bothering me for decades

I only know that because I came into this thread looking for another game by that company and happened to find Number Maze first.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I asked about this game a while back, maybe I'll have more luck this time.

It was a derivative of Chaos: The Battle of Wizards; the map was bigger and there were trees, some of which were "mirkwood" trees that would sometimes eat creatures standing next to them. The graphics were a little higher res and the color palette was a lot of washed out green and brown. It had the same top down map and side on character look.

I played a shareware version that limited you to maybe a quarter of your spells each game and you could only cast each spell once. It was a late dos or early Windows title, probably the latter.

This was a tough one, but I think I found it - it's an old DOS game called Arena. Here's a link to (apparently) a working version:

http://web.archive.org/web/19961228231955/http://www.gamesmania.com/english/common/demos/arena21.zip

The manual is arena.txt and it mentions the Mirkwood trees you described.

EDIT: Plus the manual describes it as a remake of a C64 game of the same name, which I found a video of and is definitely a Chaos clone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlEvvS9axlc

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 4, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I remember reading about a game (I've never seen it) on the PC, not too long ago. It was incredibly depressing, I think it was set in some weird possibly Russian town where... Something bad? Is happening over a series of days, and you have a certain amount of time to figure it out? Somewhere I the town is a giant giant weird temple that's got basically nothing going on in it, I think it looked alien?

That's so little to go off, sorry. But there was something about the game made it fascinating to read about, like it was one of those cursed arg games but real, in some way?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Pablo Gigante posted:

This was a tough one, but I think I found it - it's an old DOS game called Arena. Here's a link to (apparently) a working version:

http://web.archive.org/web/19961228231955/http://www.gamesmania.com/english/common/demos/arena21.zip

The manual is arena.txt and it mentions the Mirkwood trees you described.

EDIT: Plus the manual describes it as a remake of a C64 game of the same name, which I found a video of and is definitely a Chaos clone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlEvvS9axlc

Amazing, thanks a lot!

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

!Klams posted:

I remember reading about a game (I've never seen it) on the PC, not too long ago. It was incredibly depressing, I think it was set in some weird possibly Russian town where... Something bad? Is happening over a series of days, and you have a certain amount of time to figure it out? Somewhere I the town is a giant giant weird temple that's got basically nothing going on in it, I think it looked alien?

That's so little to go off, sorry. But there was something about the game made it fascinating to read about, like it was one of those cursed arg games but real, in some way?

Pathologic

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Reading the reviews... Yeah that's the one! Thanks!

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Can someone remind me of what the hell that web game that GBS used to play like a decade ago was? You were given a bunch of words in like fridge magnet form and the goal was to assemble them into sentences/responses to questions each round, and then people voted for their favourite. It's driving me nuts, tia

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Can someone remind me of what the hell that web game that GBS used to play like a decade ago was? You were given a bunch of words in like fridge magnet form and the goal was to assemble them into sentences/responses to questions each round, and then people voted for their favourite. It's driving me nuts, tia

xyzzy?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Psychobabble I think

e: no, Psudobabble

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Retro Futurist posted:

Psychobabble I think

e: no, Psudobabble

Fuckin nailed it. Thank you!!

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
Does anyone remember an arcade game from the 90s (although it was probably ported to other platforms, I'm not sure) where you played as a character (I want to say a Duke Nukem type) navigating a maze, collecting items and fighting giant insects or something? The game looked sort of like a FPS, where the bottom left 1/4th of the screen was a 3d visual of what your character saw (enemy, whatever). In the top right of the screen was a map or some sort of top-down view for navigation, and there was an inventory and such. I don't remember anything else about the game except the interface was blue

boof
Jun 3, 2001

dstyle posted:

Does anyone remember an arcade game from the 90s (although it was probably ported to other platforms, I'm not sure) where you played as a character (I want to say a Duke Nukem type) navigating a maze, collecting items and fighting giant insects or something? The game looked sort of like a FPS, where the bottom left 1/4th of the screen was a 3d visual of what your character saw (enemy, whatever). In the top right of the screen was a map or some sort of top-down view for navigation, and there was an inventory and such. I don't remember anything else about the game except the interface was blue

I'll take a total stab in the dark and suggest maybe Xybots?

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
That is the one, I'm amazed you were able to get it from my crappy description but thank you :hfive:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Those screenshots suddenly reminded me of an early 90's Amiga/ST dungeon crawler in a similar style to Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beholder but sci-fi and you played robots I think? I never played it just saw shots in a magazine, anyone know what I'm thinking of?

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
That would be Captive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that's it, cheers

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Had a demo on the family Macintosh when I was a kid, a game where you played Hannibal going to Rome. You could trek through Spain and cross the Alps like in real life, or float there on boats. Always cut off when you reached the Italian peninsula. Don't suppose anyone knows it.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I played this at a friend's house a while back. It's PS2 game. It has a multiplayer mode that has an overhead/isometric camera with everybody on the same screen. I think one of the maps had a switch on the wall that shocked a large region of the floor. I thought it was a James Bond game, but I'm not finding anything in searches so maybe not.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Ok I've got a doozy for you for I only have fragmented images in my memory. It's real hazy, might even have been a dream.
I think it was a DOS game where you could choose between different biomes where you would then select an animal and try to survive by hunting for your food source while trying to avoid larger predators, like say a fox or a snake. Or least I think that's what you were supposed to be doing.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
Does anyone remember the name of a Playstation 1 game set in a cyberpunk future. I think it was an Action RPG but I cant remember for sure.

The only other clues I can give is that I played it about 18-20 years ago, and it had a long rear end bar conversation scene near the beginning, which at the time was the longest cutscene I’ve ever played in a game and that the game had a Japanese version. I think it might have been a Japanese developed game, but I cant be 100% sure.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Karanas posted:

Ok I've got a doozy for you for I only have fragmented images in my memory. It's real hazy, might even have been a dream.
I think it was a DOS game where you could choose between different biomes where you would then select an animal and try to survive by hunting for your food source while trying to avoid larger predators, like say a fox or a snake. Or least I think that's what you were supposed to be doing.
Animal Quest?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Jesus Christ

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Karanas posted:

Jesus Christ

I love this thread so, so much.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shrinkage posted:

Does anyone remember the name of a Playstation 1 game set in a cyberpunk future. I think it was an Action RPG but I cant remember for sure.

The only other clues I can give is that I played it about 18-20 years ago, and it had a long rear end bar conversation scene near the beginning, which at the time was the longest cutscene I’ve ever played in a game and that the game had a Japanese version. I think it might have been a Japanese developed game, but I cant be 100% sure.

It's PS2 instead of PSX but The Bouncer?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Bouncer kind of owned and I wish there were more beat 'em ups like that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shrinkage posted:

First thing that comes to mind is Angel Devoid, which had a Japanese only PS1 version I believe and an opening scene in a bar.

Andorra posted:

I played this at a friend's house a while back. It's PS2 game. It has a multiplayer mode that has an overhead/isometric camera with everybody on the same screen. I think one of the maps had a switch on the wall that shocked a large region of the floor. I thought it was a James Bond game, but I'm not finding anything in searches so maybe not.

Is it any of the Snowblind Engine games like Champions of Norrath or Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance? There were a ton of other rip off games like Hunter the Reckoning, Brotherhood of Steel, and even a Buffy the Vampire Slayer game. Maybe even one of the X-Men or Marvel games.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

al-azad posted:

Is it any of the Snowblind Engine games like Champions of Norrath or Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance? There were a ton of other rip off games like Hunter the Reckoning, Brotherhood of Steel, and even a Buffy the Vampire Slayer game. Maybe even one of the X-Men or Marvel games.

No, This multiplayer mode I played was in a single-screen arena, and it was deathmatch. And there were guns.

Andorra fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 3, 2018

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Zaodai posted:

It's PS2 instead of PSX but The Bouncer?

No, it’s definitely a PSX game.

al-azad posted:

First thing that comes to mind is Angel Devoid, which had a Japanese only PS1 version I believe and an opening scene in a bar.

I’ts not Angel Devoid :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shrinkage posted:

Overblood 2?

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Overblood 2?

Holy poo poo, yeah you got it. Thanks man, I’ve been googling each of the title in the wikipedia list of psx released games trying to figure this one out. How did you figure it out?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember playing it all too well :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Okay, I got one. A PSX game where you play as an agent or something but the game keeps track on how much damage you do (cost value) at the top of the screen. I remember being able to shoot out lights.