Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Who here loves Burn by Flow, Berseria's opening theme (or what we've heard of it, anyway)? It's amazing, might possibly be the best opening since Karma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

:(

Oh well, that's something I won't mind spoiling myself on at least.

I have literally translated one word: I distinctly heard "kaze" in the first line, so the first line of Burn has something to do with wind, at least.

Pureauthor posted:

I don't mind the Power of Friendship ending so much, but it's that the game itself actively avoids having Asbel contemplate if his insistence on trying to save Richard might have problems.

Asbel threw Lambda's generic "destroy everything!" motivation in his face, which has got to count for something, right?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

The Colonel posted:

Malik is cool and my friend

Cheria automatically gets +20 cool points for getting Indignation

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It's weird, because Tales's boss squadrons (Rebirth's Four Stars, Abyss's God-Generals, Xillia's Chimeriad, and even Sorey and Heldalf to a degree) are really good at the whole "dark mirror to the protagonists" thing, yet Graces does it (possibly) by complete accident. Tales games are one of the few times I've seen Characters>Plot, and that's a good part of why I like them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So maybe Zavied will make a cameo appearance in Berseria with Eizen?

Also, that Mystic Arte of his so cool.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, Velvet's keeping the tradition of Occasional Kicks In Swordplay kept since Phantasia.

Also, really? I thought it would be Knuckles or something traditional, but Bracelet?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Momomo posted:

You can't really look stylish with giant gauntlets on your hands. Just look at Sophie's ugly dishwashing gloves.

Jude and Senel did it a little better.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Caphi, what do you mean specifically by Eizen and Eleanor being two different styles of hybrid casters? Can you elaborate?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=41Shme-LKW0
Here's a video of a demo boss.

Also, watch out! Velvet has legs and she knows how to use them!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I should also ask: How do Velvet/Rokuro and Magileux/Laphicet play differently as well? I'm fairly sure the latter is a Black Mage/White Mage thing, but I could be wrong?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Heh, just noticed the little dragon decal on the back of Eizen's coat. Nice touch.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Motto posted:

He's referring to the whole party as protagonists; Velvet is Bersy's sole lead.

Yeah, the most we'll get of a male lead is probably Laphicet, and only as a sort of "supporting protagonist".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

why is velvet smiling

she's a moody antihero

moody antiheroes don't smile

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Some questions about the demo:

1. How are the elements handled? Zesty's four, Abyss's six or Symphonia's eight?
2. Elaborating on the above, what element spells do Laphicet, Magileux, Eleanor and Eizen have?
3. What are the blue diamonds in the middle of the enemy's health?
4. How viable are melee Laphicet and Magileux?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Thanks guys.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, Eizen apparently has Raise Dead/Ressurection despite not being the main healer (Laphicet).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Let's find out all the good things about Zestiria.

1. The soundtrack
2. The Tiamat battle
3. Zavied's casting lines ("You may feel a slight numbness..." "This one's for you, Rose...")

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Not all that important or on-topic but this upcoming game looks a lot like a Tales game, check it out if you're interested.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Phantasium posted:

The last time I bought a game because it was like a Tales game was Mimana Iyar Chronicle and I'm loathe to make that mistake again.

The super mode gives you awesome music and psychedelic backgrounds. Your argument is invalid.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

the jump button is called eleanor

I remember hearing that her first of those... Things I forgot the name of (Velvet's demonic claw, Eizen's Draconic Drive) only knocks the enemy into the air, but upgraded ones do allow her to join them and air combo.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Saw the first fight against Oscar, and it was a minor shock: He uses a few of Sorey's artes, specifically Tiger Blade, Wolfwind Fang and Heavenly Torrent.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

The Colonel posted:

don't leave out DIST THE ROSE

Or Largo! He was pretty cool!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Party Mystic Arte Spoilers:
Eleanor's second MA is Luke's Lost Fon Drive
Velvet's second is Kyle's Zeppa Meshougeki
Eizen's second is called Howling Dragon (or maybe Dragon Howl)
Laphicet has his third MA be...
INDIG-loving-NATION!
Oh, and Artorius has Savage Wolf Fury.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Edit: Nevermind

Junpei fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 23, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yo, Caphi, Endorph. You guys have your opinions on the story given, so I'll ask this: Do you like Oscar, Shigure, Theresa, the bishop guy whose name I forget and Artorius as antagonists? Are they a good "Evil boss squad who compare and contrast the heroes"? Are they as good as, say, The God-Generals?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Holy crap I just realized something about Berseria:

Oscar is basically an evil Sorey, he even uses Tiger Blade, Heavenly Torrent and Wolfwind Fang!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have a specific question: How is Magileux funny? Is she quirky like Pascal, snarky like Jade, or just her own thing?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Adding in to the equipment talk, I wonder if Band-Nam has ever thought of doing a FF9 approach-You still get a new weapon, armor, accessory etc. every so often, but you're encourage to stick with a piece of equipment until you learn every Arte, spell and passive on it by fighting and getting some AP.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Whoa, thanks, I forgot (although in Vespy it was only passives, unlike FF9 where you could learn skills and spells).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Let's see...

I'll list a combination of any two PC or supporting characters from Berseria. If they have any sort of relationship whatsoever, expand on it, Caphi.

Rokuro and Laphicet
Eizen and Eleanor
Velvet and Dyle
Dyle and Eizen

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Erg posted:

please do not feed the junpei

What? I just asked for expansions on relationships?

Going a bit more guessing on this one:

Boss Squadron and Eleanor:
"You betrayed us!"
"But you're evil douches!"
"LALALALA CANT HEAR YOU"

Rokuro and Eizen:
"He isn't as cool as me, don't listen to him."
"What he said."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Maybe we can get a good Dawn of the New World?

By the by, how does Bersy rate on "sticking with it's theme"? From a scale of Zesty(worst) to Symphonia(best)?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, I might be in the minority here, but how about The Adventures Of Long-Haired Mikleo and Older Seraph Sorey?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Decus posted:

Speaking of Leon, who got Leon'd in Berseria? Or is it somehow not part of their costume DLC?

Nobody.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, I'm sort of curious about something. Does anyone here have any interesting ideas for a gameplay mechanic for the next tales game? Pure speculation and ideas, just asking out of curiosity and hope that Nam-Ban is reading (but I know they aren't).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
@Caphi: Would you like to keep character-specific gimmicks like in Xillia and Berseria? How exactly would this balance work?

Maybe it could be like some sort of scale (the weighing kind). Where if it tips one way or the other you get specific bonuses but also penalties?

Tactical (play smartly, dodge attacks, hit weaknesses)/ Savage (hit hard, long combos)
Defensive (heal, block, buff)/ Offensive (combo, cast spells)

Just thinking out loud.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I sort of hope that we don't have six party members become the golden standard of Tales. I mean, I like the ability to switch party members in and out, but I don't want it to sacrifice unique character mechanics or game flow.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I actually like the games with big parties (Symphonia, Vesperia, Dawn and Xillia 2). I sort of like the token "Slightly different gameplay style" characters (Regal, Patty, etc.).

Also, I wonder what new direction the next Tales game will take for character development (in the gameplay sense). Anyone have any interesting ideas?

My idea: We do something no Tales game has done before: Make an actual tech tree with skill points! And not like Hearts, like an actual tree with branches and upgradeable skills and such.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Really, I'm pretty sure the one area where Zestiria doesn't feel rushed was the Tiamat fight, If only because ohmygodimfightingadragonandtheresawesomemusicandwhatsthisfeelinginmypantsohmygooooooooddddddd

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, Caphi. You know when you were playing the demo and I asked for an elaboration on how Eizen and Eleanor differ? Now that you've beaten the game, and seen all the artes and Soul Breaks, do they still hold water or are they now obsolete?

quote:

Well, Eleanor feels more like a Pascal, or some Armatuses. Her spells strongly originate from her the way Pascal's did, and either charge fast or benefit from chaincasting really well. They seem meant for mixing up with her spear tech. It's a lot of fun, exactly my style, and she seems really good with her combination of speed, reach, area, and versatility.

Eizen is a man of extremes. His spells are classic remote-effect zone spells. The strongest one (Ground something, I forgot already) is comparable in length and weight to the real casters. I don't think you're going to chaincast them except maybe the fastest, weakest one, which the tutorial makes you use to throw enemies to trigger Draconic Drive. Meanwhile his Base/Martial style is very close-up (I think his reachiest arte is a pull effect) and has a strong emphasis on mobility and left/right arte motion. So basically, where Eleanor is a newschool spell dancer, Eizen appears to be a switch hitter. I suspect the chain he's designed around is a pummel sequence, then a distancing arte or a backstep or Draconic Drive/Dragon Dive, and then quickcast from a distance.

You know, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Eternia was like the pinnacle of Tales 2-D combat (I don't like CC for Destiny DC, Destiny 2 has is boringly easy and Rebirth really isn't 2-D).