Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Heya, I grabbed Gratuitous Space Battles a while ago (including the latest expansion) and was wondering if there's any good tips for building ships in general? I built a few, but something feels a bit off in what I'm doing...

Also any tips specifically for the Galactic Conquest expansion would be appreciated as well (Things like what does threat do would help =P)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Heya, I asked this a few pages ago but didn't get a reply, so I figured I'd ask about Gratuitous Space Battles plus its Galactic Conquest expansion again, to see if anyone else that has played it can give me a hand.

I played it a tiny bit, but I'm not really doing too well in the base game's scenarios or in Galactic Conquest.

Also I managed to grab WH40k: Chaos Gate, anything on that I need to/should know?

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 15, 2011

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

So I read the wiki, but can anyone give me hints not on it for Legend of Mana and Breath of Fire 4?

Legend of Mana:
I can't remember WHEN it triggers, but early in the game, there's a cat lady person (whom I swore was a monkey person for the longest time) that you meet first when doing Niccolo's Business Unusual (might be possible to skip that quest accidentally, but I can't remember) which will spawn in the inn of the first town you set down. It is CRUCIAL to talk to her and do her quest, otherwise you miss out on a ring that makes any exp crystals you pick up get shared to your pet/party member.

It loving sucks god drat hard when you realize you miss that, since it's the only reliable way to level up your pets while on the field.

Also there are certain quests which you only have a small window to accept and finish before they automatically fail. Fortunately they are few and far between (and none of them are for the three major storylines you can play through), with the only one I really remember having you do something or other for the music box guy and his monkey pal.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Any hot tips and tricks for Shin Megami Tensei 4?
Been a while since I played it, but here I go:

Never neglect your agility (or was it called speed?) and luck as you level up, with more priority to agility since that affects whether your character goes first, or is eating poo poo. I also think it affects stuff like evasion and hit chance, but don't quote me on that, but overall acting first is important due to the press turn system. Luck affects a bunch of crap if I remember correctly, from recruitment rates, crits and smirk chance, with the smirk status buff being amazing (95% chance of evasion or something like that and a guaranteed crit for your next attack, though it's expended after your next action).

Try to keep each element covered for your group, hitting an enemy weakness or critting them only expends half a turn, while on the same note, hitting an enemy immunity will waste all of your moves and move onto the enemy's turn. On the same note, try to hold onto any demon skill that gives immunity to an element as you get them, they can be incredibly useful.

For your first playthrough you may want to focus on magic, since that will give you the most diverse options for hitting weaknesses.

As soon as you can get Energy Drain, never let it go and try to get it on as many of your demons as possible. It will solve your mp woes and it hits for a decent amount too.

Recruit everything. EVERYTHING. Even if you never use the demon it will still gain exp from fights and new skills so you have more options for fusions.

Never feel bad about making a new demon specifically to counter a boss you're having trouble with. Some of them are real dinks or just are rough as gently caress if you don't go all out.

There are four different endings. One of them you will need a guide for because it's convoluted bullshit to achieve. Fortunately the game has newgame+ with a bunch of options for what you want to carry over for your next game, letting you rocket right through again if you wanted to.

Don't be afraid to 'talk' to bosses or try to recruit them, it won't waste an action (and can be funny). Though shaking them down for items/money/etc. will (which is also funny).

Finally, money is hard to come by, so be selective about gear upgrades. On that note, if you're going to get any of the three 'grinding' dlcs, the money one is probably the best since then you can always play dressup with your equipment, rather than be incredibly selective (or shake down demons for cash).

I'd give tips on what to spend with app points, but I honestly can't remember beyond bigger rosters, more skill slots (probably the most important thing to get) and improved recruitment being good choices. The app line for shaking demons down for money can be pretty fun and profitable at times (try paralyzing/sleeping them first too) but not essential.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So, I was looking through my steam games list for a title I could jokingly ask advice for (secret of the magical crystals in particular), but then I came across one game I don't remember buying called Keen Dreams.

So, anything I should expect playing it? The only preview image on the games list looks like a snowy field, with a child in his pajamas and butts sticking out of the snow, so now I'm curious.

Also while I'm at it, any general tips for Lisa? I stopped playing early on after getting a game over vs this one horrible mutated lump of a human being and forgot about it.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Shin Megami Tensei IV? Specifically: getting contracts Demon allies seems to be a bitch and a half. If I give everything they want, they run away, and if I follow the wiki's advice (Refuse, Cheat) they get pissed off 90% of the time Also, where should I be going App-wise?

Yeah, demons can be pretty capricious in that but there are a lot of apps you can get to help lessen their demands. You'll be able to intuit which types of demon react best to certain responses after a while, though there will always be times where they're absolute dickholes. Though specifically when they ask you for a bunch of poo poo, the third time they do it I tend to always refuse, partly because it's becoming expensive at this point and also because this is around when they're going to think you're a pushover or not. I think your luck stat also plays a part in whether they join or not, but I don't remember for sure.

Also while you can't recruit bosses, it won't waste your turn talking to them, so feel free to see what they have to say to your recruitment attempts. Also for fun, try raising cash from them. Nothing feels better than taking the piss out of a big bad by making them give you thousands of macca. Note that it's usually incredibly dangerous to do so since a botched attempt means you lose your turn and vs bosses that could be a very bad thing. Also I know you were asking specifically about recruitment, but I'll give you this unrelated bit of advice now: get a guide so you know which choices to pick to get the neutral ending (if you want it for your first playthrough, though there ARE decent reasons to get it the first time around). It is a loving bitch and a half to get and I have had to restart THREE TIMES because I hosed up on a random choice earlier in the game.

Now for a question myself: For The Witcher 2, are there any trap skills/skill trees you can put points into? Or rather ones that aren't very good? The game also recommended easy for me, so should I follow that suggestion? Finally, how nicely does the game play with a controller? Figured it might actually be simpler to play with one since there's hotkeys all over the place for the assorted signs (press 8 to cast this, etc.)

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

What about Hack, Slash, Loot

Get a refund, it's honestly awful and lacks any kind of depth at all. No, I'm not kidding, it's loving garbage and it made me regret buying the bundle it was in just by the sheer suckitude that is Hack, Slash, Loot.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Hahaha. I appreciate the advice; I know I got that from a Humble Bundle, possibly the same one as you. Which I see also included Paranautical Activity and Teleglitch. Well, Teleglitch was fun at least!

It was from a bundle a few years ago actually, it may have been from an indie royale bundle or whatever the other bundle site was called at the time. All I know is it was part of the bundle on its launch day and legitimately had me interested until I actually played it.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Clockwork Empires?

This for me too, since I saw it release recently.

Also on a similar but unrelated note: Did they fix the fps issues?

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

Tell me about Breath of Fire 3.

- At the start of the game when you're a dragon, check the first few bodies and you'll find a melted blade on one of them (hold onto it until you get to the master that requires you to have 15 unique weapons in your inventory)

- Give the fishing minigame a real chance; some love it, some hate it. It's one of the very few ways to get a reliable source of items to restore AP (MP) and it can lead to you getting certain equipment quite a bit earlier than you would normally.

- Want to make the beginning second half of the game easier? After getting past a certain volcano (you'll know when you get there), go north. There's a town there that sells weapons that will hold their own for a while.

- Don't feel bad looking up a guide on masters, some of their requirements are a little obscure or seem pointless. For the first half of the game there aren't any that are really hard to miss except two (if you get a fairy jewel or whatever it's called from hitting a tree with crows in it DO NOT SELL IT OR ELSE YOU WILL MISS OUT ON AN AWESOME MASTER).

- Abuse pilfer, especially on bosses which usually will have stat boosting items on them or gear.

- Speaking of gear, you can change your loadout mid battle, no problem under the item command without wasting a turn.

- All of your party members can be quite good, so don't feel like you're gimping yourself by picking your favourites.

- Near the end of the game you will be told to pray. The game wants you to not do anything for a few seconds here. No there are no real indicators that it wanted you to do this.

- Peco looks awful but actually can become hilariously broken if built a certain way (apprentice under Fahl. Laugh.) due to how his skills scale and incredibly high hp and def growths.

- Alternatively, if you hate peco for any reason, you can always be a little cheesy and not ever level him until you find a master with skills you want right now.

- Skill ink might seem limited, but you can effectively get an unlimited amount through fishing and some vendors.

- I don't think there's many, if any, vendors that sell Coin lures for zenny, so be sure to save before you use it to try to catch a manilo just in case something goes horribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

All you really need to know about Breath of Fire 3 is that it's not hard, and most of it is chill as hell, so relax and enjoy yourself.

It's basically a JRPG road trip.

Edit: To clarify, this is the reason it's still one of my favorite games; I can find a game where I save the world anywhere. A game that just follows the misadventures of a JRPG party is still pretty drat unique.

Yeah, I agree with this totally. It's a chill game where you aren't trying to save the world, you aren't trying to save the princess, there's no love sub-plot and you get to turn into a badass dragon at will. A lot of games could learn from it to be honest.

edit: Also (even though I have played a decent amount of it, but mostly want to see everyone else's opinion) does anyone have any tips for Geneforge? Like specifically any real pitfalls for character builds?Is it ever worth levelling up your creations instead of absorbing and recreating them? I have the full series, so are there entries I should avoid specifically or make absolute sure I play? So far I've enjoyed the kind of moral gray area the story has brought up multiple times and basically playing pokemon: the crpg.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 18, 2016