Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Any tips for Divinity: Original Sin? I picked it up since the PS4 version is for sale and it seems like a game where I could be missing a lot of things if I'm not scouring every corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I picked up the Resident Evil bundle on PS4 yesterday and I'd like some advice. I can't open the wiki while at work, but I'll be checking it out when I get home. I've never been very good at the RE games before 4, and I always wind up running out of ammo and herbs while running between areas trying to guess what items I'm going to need to solve the next puzzle. I started RE1 with Jill and died to the first zombie because I was trying to find a way to kill them without using half a magazine's worth of bullets. Then I almost died the second time trying to do the same thing. Is there a reliable way to get headshots, and is there any other advice for someone going in RE1 and 0 as a newbie?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Any advice for playing Natural Doctrine? I know at least one person on these forums has beaten it and thanks it's alright, and I've had it downloaded for sometime. Every time I try to play a stage, I get my teeth kicked in by consecutive turns where every single enemy gets to attack and I still down know how I'm supposed to protect anyone using the arcane battle system that was invented for it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Any tips for someone who's about to play Dragon Quest Heroes? It should be delivered by the time I get off of work but there's a internet filter here that blocks everything tagged with "Games" (although not SA, thank god).

e: No mail was delivered to me yesterday for some reason, so no DQ:H. Enter the Gungeon is pretty fun though.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 5, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Losing is fun

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Anything I should keep in mind going into Sniper Elite III or Wild ARMS 3?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It was 15 bucks on PS4, I figured that would be a good price to shoot some testes. I didn't know about the scripted shoot outs though. Kind of puts a damper on the stealth sniping

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Thanks for the advice. If I ever get time to actually play games again I'll put it to good use.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

Odin Sphere: Leblahblahblah questions. The level up bonus for skills are applied when I level up that skill, not when I level up he character, right? I mean, I'm not handicapping myself by eating fruit rather than leveling up skills.

If I understand your question correctly, then you are correct. The bonuses you receive for leveling up a skill (+1 STR) happens only once, when you upgrade the ability. It isn't attached to your level at all, so you're not hindering yourself by not keeping your level low and investing the skills.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I should have a copy of the new Doom waiting for me at home after work. Any friendly advice before I dig in? I'm planning on playing it on hard, or whatever one step above easy would be

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I picked up The Escapists and all the DLC during the Flash sale. Any advice?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Count Chocula posted:

I'm going to get Demon's Souls. The wiki entry is pretty barebones and assumes you've never played a Souls game before (since it was the first one, obviously). Anything more detailed for a Souls vet?

You have a limit to the equipment you can carry. There's a guy in the Nexus that acts like a bottemless box, but since that's pretty useless in the Dark Souls games you might not take advantage of it. This is a mistake. Store everything you aren't using every time you return to the Nexus, because if you are at your carry limit and find a treasure in a level, trying to pick it up will give you a "cannot carry any more" message and drop the item. The item will then be treated like a drop from a monster and will disappear the next time you die.
There's a shield that weighs 30 units at the end of 1-2, and an armor set that weighs 45 in 1-1 with Pure White or Pure Black Tendency.

I used the wiki to get that information, and I recommend you use it too. The wikidot one has very good maps of all the areas (I think they're still active, my work internet blocks them (but not the wiki itself)).

On the subject of World Tendencies: They are arcane states that can subtly change each level. Dying while in human form lowers it, killing bosses raises it. The game is overall easier in White tendency, with more healing items being dropped, you deal more damage, and have more health. In Black tendencies, the enemies drop rarer items and more souls. In Pure White or Black, certain NPCs appear in areas to fight you. Also, some paths are opened up leading to previously inaccessible items. You don't really need to worry about it during your first play through, but I'll cut and paste what the wiki has to say about what raises and lowers it in case you're trophy hunting.

Wikidot posted:

Towards White

Kill a Demon (boss) in a particular World (+1)
Kill the Red Dragon (+1) in 1-2
Kill the Blue Dragon (+1) in 1-4
Kill one of the five Named Pure Black World Tendency NPCs that appear in Pure Black World Tendency
Defeat Black Phantom Executioner Miralda (+3) in 1-1
Defeat Black Phantom Scirvir, The Wanderer (+3) in 2-2
Defeat Black Phantom Lord Rydell (+3) in 3-1
Defeat Black Phantom Satsuki (+3) in 4-1
Defeat Black Phantom Selen Vinland (+3) in 5-2
Defeat a Primeval Demon (+3) (once per world per game)
Kill an invading Black Phantom

Note: To maintain White Tendency after defeating a boss (approx 45% shift to White), then go to the Nexus and commit suicide in the Nexus. Death in body form in a world equates to a (30%) shift back to black tendency, undoing all the effect of killing the boss.

Towards Black

Die outside the Nexus while in Body form (-1)
Kill Old King Doran (-2) in 1-1
Kill the Body Form of one of the 5 special named NPCs that appear in Pure White World Tendency
Kill Body Form Executioner Miralda (-3) in 1-1
Kill Body Form Scirvir, The Wanderer (-3) in 2-2
Kill Blue Phantom Lord Rydell (-3) in 3-1
Kill Body Form Satsuki (-3) in 4-1
Kill Body Form Selen Vinland (-3) in 5-2

No Effect

Suicide in the Nexus in Body Form (+0) This affects World Tendency in the Nexus, but there are no World Tendency events there.
Suicide in the Nexus in Soul Form (+0)
Die in any world in Soul Form (+0)
Kill the Vanguard (+0) in 4-1

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

KingShiro posted:

Anything for Lords of the Fallen? Pretty well versed in the Souls-like games.

It's not very fun

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Except all "Unoffical" means in the sense of a game guide is that the company didn't get permission from the publisher to make a guide, they made it on their own which i didn't know until recently. Which explains why all the "unoffical" guides i've ever had were kinda weird and written super casually like you were asking a friend where to go to beat this level you're stuck on.

I had this Unofficial Final Fantasy VII guide from Versus when I was young.

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantas...antasy+7+versus

I read the poo poo out of it. I would take it to school in a Ziploc bag so it didn't get damaged. Unfortunately, I was also an idiot child. My teacher confiscated the poster because of Tifa's juggs and an upper classman who I didn't know asked to borrow the guide and I never saw either of them again. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Lucas Archer posted:

My very worn copy of that is resting on my bookshelf, along with the Versus Ocarina of Time guide. Those two, put together, are the best game guides I've ever seen.

I'm unreasonably jealous of you. One day I know I'll crack and drop $80 on a copy of it, it's just a matter of time. I could talk about old game guides (like the Secret of Mana one that's written as a narrative) all night, but I don't want to derail this valuable thread.

Any advice for Dead Rising 2?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Alris posted:

I still have my Brady Final Fantasy IX guide and treasure it to this day.

God bless that lovely, lovely guide.

p.s. Official Strategy Guide tier list is Piggyback = Future Press > Brady > Prima.

That's the one where half the content is on the now-defunct website, right? "Want more tips on beating Beatrix? Use code XBFGSK to find out her stats." That was the last guide I bought sight-unseen. Piggyback made good guides for the NIS games while they were around, but there were always a few typos or mistakes that I'd find after poring over it for hours.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did you hear of Double Jump? I have their guide for Disgaea 2 and about 640 pages. They could have made it bigger than a pocket bible.

You know, I think I was thinking of Double Jump instead of Piggyback. I had their Phantom Brave guide and coincidentally that's the only NIS game I've beaten.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I recently started playing Strangers of Sword City, is there any advice for someone just starting? I got to the first save point and I'm thinking that because the main character can't lose life points, I should reroll them to be an old person so I can get maximum bonus stat points. Is this sounds, and is there any other advice?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone got anything for the current HITMAN? Just bought in while it's on sale.

Save often and experiment. Try to scout around on your first visit to an area to find where opportunities pop up and where you can find disguises and weapons. I would recommend not trying to be a perfect stealth assassin on your first playthrough of an area because there are a lot of unknowns (it's not impossible or particularly difficult, just don't pull your hair out when you could just stab a guard and make things easier). Security guards and military personnel can have big guns and people won't panic, but big guns are highly situational and if you're using them you probably have a purpose. During your prep before a mission, I find the lockpick and the lethal poison you can dose drinks with to be the best things to bring. The lockpick means never having to scour an area for a tiny object, although it will raise suspicions if someone sees you use it. Coins are fairly common and the piano wire is really only useful for getting certain assassination challenges, as there are plentiful other silent ways of killing a person. Grab everything you can; having a pool ball or can of soup means you can knock people out at a distance, and having two means you can clear a room from the doorway. People say to turn off the hints, but I would recommend against that until you've played an area at least once. Following an opportunity can teach you how to get very useful disguises or move targets around into more desirable deathtraps, and they earn you experience at the end of the stage to unlock new starting locations and outfits, as well as new weapons and tools to bring with you (this is where the lethal poison comes from, you won't have it in the beginning). Make rolling saves to compliment the autosaves because you might realize something and not want to wait for the target to circle the whole map before going back to stand under a chandelier. Interact with everything at least once to know what it does.

There are a few "conditions" you can be in, which will be displayed about the minimap. Trespassing means you aren't dressed for the area and everyone knows it; Suspicious means someone saw you do something and they will approach you, but you can usually run away from them and they'll go back to normal; Searching means people are looking for the source of a noise or a murderer(!), but it doesn't mean they've pegged you so you can casually stroll away; Compromised means someone knows that the assassin is wearing what you are wearing and they can tell others, but if you knock that person out and hide the body (hidden bodies are never found), you are no longer compromised; Combat means you hosed up and people nearby will come to investigate, but you can hide or blend in or change costumes if you're quick enough.

It's a good game, and this is nothing you won't learn after playing a few stages. One last tip that you, having the whole season all at once, might overlook: play the stages multiple times. Look for silly costumes and take risks. Try the sniping challenges, or bring only explosives. It's very much a sandbox game but if you're doing everything in a linear fashion and not going back, you're missing out on unlockable equipment as well as the little details in each stage. If all else fails, just shoot the target and run away. A few times I've been cornered with a bad costume or just frustrated with trying to get the perfect assassination that I just stand around a corner where no one's looking at me, draw the ol' Silverballer and dome my target. Holster the gun and no one will be the wiser.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anyone got any hot tips for what to spend AP on first? I'm paralyzed by choice and am wondering if there's any game breakingly essential stuff to beeline for first

I do. Spend AP on nodes that will help you gain AP. The Exploration tab is where to start. Buy the node that give AP on long car rides, when you set up camp, when you catch a fish, and making food effects last longer -> give AP when cooking someone's favorite meal. When you hit Chapter 3, buy the ones for chocobos. This will give you a steady trickle of AP while you explore the world and do what you're going to be doing anyway. When you get a surplus of AP, there's a node in Magic that will give you AP for using Elemancy. It's easy enough to make a basic spell with a few points of fire or whatever and cast it whenever you remember to for a free AP.

After that, you have a lot of options. Some people swear by Ignus' Regroup ability, which is easy to beeline to. It gathers your party and fully heals them to their current max HP. Personally, I think you should get the Combat abilities that increase damage from Warp strikes and blindsides (I think there's a node for that) then the bonuses to Link attacks under Teamwork. And Teamwork has a lot of good stuff, namely the abilities your allies can use naturally and without you telling them to. Look them over and buy them when you have the free points. The nodes that give stat boosts, even HP, aren't vital in the beginning. The first HP node and most of the other stat nodes give a bonus to the stat equal to (level x 2), so even at level 50 the first HP node only gives a 100 HP boost. Pretty insignificant. On the other hand, getting a 100 point boost to strength is more valuable and more costly. Late game items for sure. In the same Stat tab are nodes for second accessory slots for each character for 18 AP a piece. There are accessories that boost the max HP by more than 100, so you can see why it's the better buy in the early chapters.

Buy new techniques when you feel like it. I waited until I mastered the first ones before moving on, and I'll warn you the Prompto's second technique is kind of useless (it gets monsters' attention and weakens daemons.) so don't think that you're replacing a damage dealer with a like ability. You can always change the equipped techniques and weapons, even in battle, so if you realize that starting a difficult hunt with two support techs and one offensive move is kind of gimping yourself, don't hesitate to change.

I use Wait Mode a lot, so I bought some of the first nodes there but that's up to you and how often you use Wait. Getting the Recovery node that increases HP and MP gain when hanging from a Warp point is also helpful for boss fights, since using Warp points to gain distance and height is a good way to heal up and warp strike in for a big damage modifier (based on the distance covered with the warp strike).

I've spent 20 hours dicking around and I'm still in chapter 3 pushing level 40, so my other piece of advice would be to try and hit the story chapters around the recommended level. It's easy to get distracted with quests and hunts and abusing the exp modifiers gained from sleeping in nicer locations, but you'll get plenty of fighting and questing throughout the game; no need to front load the experience like I did and over-power yourself for climactic battles.

BUT if you really want to power level, make spells with Rare Coins as catalysts. One cast and you'll gain a few levels worth of exp, especially when you're just starting out. It's also a great way to earn 100 AP in a short time.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I think it auto saves after fast traveling, too. But it's good advice not to rely on the autosave, especially when you can save anywhere that's not right next to enemies or in a dungeon.

Man, dungeon is such a dated term for, uh, "discrete gameplay area". I've seen sewers, mines, a few forests, and a cave. Nary a dungeon in sight.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

when I was a kid my (lovely) friends made fun of me for calling large end-of-level enemies "bosses" because many of them aren't in a position of power

My old housemate is a few years older than me and I always thought it was weird that he'd call stages or levels "boards". Looking back, it makes sense if you grew up with arcade cabinets that didn't have scrolling playfields, so it kind of looks like a board. Eat all the dots on one board, move to the next.

I can't think of a better term for set piece enemies or end of level encounters than "boss" and I'll be damned if I know why. That's something I'd be interested in finding the etymology for.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

double nine posted:

my thorough research consisted of looking up those titles on howlongtobeat, it's entirely possible that that site overestimates the games but I need something of a benchmark to estimate if X is a 10 hour game or a 40 hour game

Friend, you do not need to fret over spending 300 hours mastering Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. Why don't you play the games that are fun and maybe just dabble in the rest? I'm cracking up thinking that you're trying to find 50 hours to finally finish dated city builder Zeus, then follow it up with another 50 hours of Poseidon. Delete that list and find the fun.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

"I can't start playing around in my virtual theme park until I have a baseline for how long it will take to complete all the campaign missions and thoroughly experiment in sandbox mode. Then, and only then, can I even begin the arduous process of playing the game to finally remove it from these weighty chains I call 'backlog.' Woe unto me, for gaming is my calling and my curse."

I'm busting your chops but come on. Don't be a slave to the list.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

tensai posted:

FFXV, I'm overleveled for some of these hunts and still getting my poo poo pushed in. I just don't think I understand combat very well. Can someone make a "how to play like a 5 year old" explanation of the combat?

Also, I'm like level 22 with all characters, but have only changed weapons once. I feel like I'm missing something there too.

Turn on wait mode in the options. When you say "You've only changed weapons once," do you mean that you're only using the short sword with Noctis, or that you haven't bought a lot of new equipment? You can find some big swords for Gladio and Machinery for Prompto on the floor around the world, but otherwise check with the weapon seller in Lastellum (sp?) when you get there and see if he has better stuff. He gives quests that reduce the costs of his goods too. I'd recommend moving forward with the story some if you're having problems with the hunts, but here's some combat tips. (controls are based on the PS4 version)

Turn wait mode on. This will kick on whenever you aren't pressing a face button or the left analogue stick and will freeze time so you can pick targets. You can also scan enemies in Wait Mode by holding R1 to lock onto them until the meter fills. Take advantage of Noct's four equipment slots and have at least three different types of weapons so you can easily exploit weaknesses. Holding R1 to lock onto an enemy and pressing triangle will perform a warp strike and you should use this liberally. It takes a little MP but if an enemy isn't within striking distance, warp to them. Also keep an eye out for blue circles around the environment during combat, as those are warp points that you can zip to by holding triangle without R1. Ones that are on a wall or result in Noct hanging from his weapon will speed up his HP and MP recovery.

Okay, combat for real. Holding circle will start a string of auto attacks, and you can modify this string by moving the left analogue stick forward, to the side, or backwards. You can also release circle for a short moment and press it again for another attack. There are videos showing every weapon's move set but you can also experiment as you play. Note that not all moves are attacks: Holding left or right while attacking with the daggers will perform a side step, and holding back with the spear will have Noct move backwards before charging for a thrust. Try attacking enemies from the back for a Blindside bonus, and attacking enemies while standing near a team mate will give you the change of doing a link strike. Link Blindsides are very damaging, so really try to maneuver yourself to the opponents rear when fighting something big.

Defense is arguably more important that offense, because it opens up punishing counters and keeps you from eating your teeth. Holding square will put Noct into a defense stance where he'll automatically phase through most enemy attacks. If people are shooting at you, holding square will let you avoid taking damage for a small but steady MP cost. Tapping square and a direction will have Noct dive, which is a great way to position yourself. Sometimes a square in a shield will appear in the middle of the screen, indicating that Noctis is about to be hit with a big attack. This is your queue to hold square. Sometimes the shield will come up a second or two before the attack, but keep the defense up. The attack will be parried and you'll get the chance to press circle for a powerful counter attack. For big bosses, you might have to press circle a second time. A counter can do more damage than several attacks, so really try and get this down.

You can and should craft magic. The elements are common and there are many ways to modify the spell to make it cast itself more often or add a status effect. You won't use them for every battle, but if you are having trouble with hunts use the wait mode to see if the target is weak to an element, make a spell of that element, then cast it at the beginning to soften them up. Cast it again once it recharges if you're having trouble. Use R2 and give out potions to anyone who even looks like they need it, and get used to opening the tactical menu (R2) when someone is in a Danger status (0 HP) instead of running to them and pressing square. Giving out potions will keep everyone's max HP up, and at 50g a potion is an easier pill to swallow than an elixer (400g, restores max HP).

That might be a bunch of word salad, but my battles start with a warp strike, followed by a rhythm of holding circle to attack and pressing or holding square to avoid damage and reposition myself. Once an enemy is dead, I warp strike to the next and continue. As you progress in the story you'll unlock summons and a limit-break type move called the Armiger, so if you haven't gotten them I would recommend pushing forward in the story. Once you do, use Armiger and the Armiger Strike whenever you can. I always keep a spell in my down equipment slot for toughies, and Wait Mode is really a life saver.

Finally, if you're still having problems, try and get Ignis' Regoup ability. It'll heal everyone to their max HP and on critical will give some buffs, and it only costs two tech bars.

e: poo poo, forgot some basic things. Not all enemy attacks will be telegraphed with the shield on the screen. Keep an eye on them and if they rear back or otherwise look like they're about to attack, guard or dive out of the way. Food can double your stats so make sure you've eaten something before you take on a hunt. Give yourself some space and let your team fight while you line up an attack on someone's butt. Take advantage of Noctis' ability to switch weapons on the fly by chaining quick dagger strikes into a heavy greatsword swing, or a similar combo. You can change equipment at any time, so if you're getting hit with a status effect you can protect against, just go into the menu and fix that.

One last note: Adding a Golden Needle to a spell will give it the death effect. At ten needles the death effect reaches maximum potential. Golden Needles are pretty cheap and can be bought from the Regalia. If you so desire, make some death bombs and see if you can't take out some targets before the fight even begins. Be careful though, I don't know if it'll kill your dudes if they get caught in the blast.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 7, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Renoistic posted:

I really wish Noctis had the foresight/empathy to tell his mates to get the gently caress out of the way when he casts a spell. Of course, Ignis does the same to me, so I guess it evens out.

Yeah, but I also think that adding more commands for your team would bog things down. There are ways to group enemies and allies through techs (Ignis' Regroup, as mentioned. Prompto has a tech and a side arm that create gravity wells to lump enemies together. Gladio just loving tanks it man, he's in it TO WIN IT!) and it's a little inelegant, but I think it works. And there's also something a little dark about Prince Noctis watching his friends fight a group on monsters before coldly tossing in a death bomb, knowing that once all the enemies are dead the allies will spring back up. I've never done significant damage to my team with regular magic, not even Quintcasting 3rd tier spells with 300+ potency. I found an item recently for Gladio that increases the party's HP regen rate, and that helps with scratch damage from stuff like that. It is annoying when they get stunned and can't attack for a little bit, but I don't think that stops techs and can (probably?) be broken by starting an Armiger chain, since it warps everyone to you and sends them attacking.

If you're playing FFXV and you stuck with Ingis' Regroup since you got it, you're missing out on Overwhelm. The whole party attacks one enemy a dozen times, making it like a Knights of the Round for 2 tech bars. When the tech crits, every hit in the move crits too. You know your tech rolled a critical when the bar at the top of the screen with the ability name is yellow instead of green. It changes the animation and voiced line, and does extra damage. My favorite so far is Gladio's Cyclone, when he slams his shield down then raises his sword for Noct to warp to. If you connect the warp on a crit, Noctis grabs the sword and Gladiolus swings them both around in a whirlwind before letting go and letting Noct spin through the air with his giant sword. It's super loving cool and will bring the hurt to a group of enemies, but it took me a while to realize the warp point aspect so I thought it was just a lackluster shield attack. Not so.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It's a cheap investment, and it's nice that they can keep themselves from going into danger once per fight. People will still need manual healing and for longer fights it's less useful. I'm running out of cheap nodes and I'm working on the last techs for everyone, but I think the later first aid abilities give buffs and a full heal which sounds pretty good while also costing a ton of AP. I'm interested in getting the nodes that let techniques break the damage cap, mainly for Gladio because I've already seen him hit 9999 with Downhammer but it would also be cool if Prompto could get enough attack to turn his Trigger Happy into a meat grinder. It hits like 20 times, but only for a few hundred a pop at this point. Same with Overwhelm. The multi-hit techs are very much like FFVII's limit breaks.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I regret losing my momentum through UU. I have a legal pad with detailed notes but I stopped playing and I know I'd be completely lost if I picked up my save.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I grabbed Ys Origins on PS4 without knowing anything about it. Advice?

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 23, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Mister Macys posted:

Anything I should know about the PS4 version of Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (or whatever) edition? Especially all that Paragon tab stuff.

I don't know if this is still an issue, but you should avoid playing online with randos until you can verify if they fixed the exp glitch. If they haven't, it's possible for you to join a match and watch yourself level up so quickly it's no longer fun. ymmv though.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

SpazmasterX posted:

More tips for Prey:

- Don't waste neuromods on the ability to get extra typhon organs. If you're regularly killing enemies, you'll never run out of exotic materials.

This was a good post but I disagree with this one. Neuromods can be crafted with exotic materials, and this ability helps you gain more exotic materials. It's the closest thing to an Exp+ skill in the game and taking it early meant that I had enough organs that I could churn out Neuromods. It's an investment that I think quickly pays off

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I looked over the page for Final Fantasy XII since the remaster is coming out tomorrow, but I don't think it's particularly helpful. There's a lot of repetition and some bullet points are just "the story sucks don't waste your time." What I was really looking for is more related to the job system, which I know is new to the west. Anyone have information from the previous Zodiac version on who's good for what classes? I found a Reddit thread that looked like this

quote:

Knight + Bushi

+Full Mystic and Heavy armour sets - can get max Defense + Magick Defense via Grand Armour + Circlet +3x Swiftness +White Robe + Excalibur combo (this job pairing is the only one that gets both this and the above) +Good amount of Battle and Magick lores +Focus/Adrenaline AND Spellbreaker/Serenity - the latter being useful for AoE heals (cast on self first to get +50% heals on the rest if you fully cure self) +No Quickening conflicts +Can use Souleater (or Telekinesis via Ultima) to bypass attack blocking condtion +Elemental damage: Light (strongest possible physically or Holy Mote) +Knight nixes the desire for Bushi wanting Shemhazi (Shield Block 1), Adrammelech (Souleater), Zalera (both Blood Swords), and Zodiark (Heavy Armour 9-11) -Both jobs use grant Genji Gloves (but there are only 2 obtainable max, 3rd in Trial Mode level 100 as a steal from Bergan) -No innate healing spells - reliant on Mateus and Hashmal and innate Cure license from females -No aerial attacks except Shades of Black, or Telekinesis via Ultima

Espers: Mateus (White Magick 6/7), Hashmal (White Magick 8/9), Exodus (HP +500, +390 on Knight is on Bushi board), Belias (Potion Lore 1 and Libra), Shemhazai (Potion Lore 2), Zeromus (Magick Lore x2), Cuchulainn (Battle Lore + Stamp), Ultima (Telekinesis + Stamp), Chaos (Brawler)
and it made me feel like the psyduck emote.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for Dishonored 2? The wiki is scarce. I just started, decided to choose Emily (only because she's different to Corvo in Dishonored 1) and got through to the safe house at the start. I think I want to do a stealthy but lethal playthrough first. Did I make the right choice picking Emily?

I also have a question: I was going through the demo as Emily and I was filled with a righteous anger that led me to murder all those loving traitors like I was playing CoD. I remember the first game started to change the world based on how "messy" you got; is there a similar penalty here? That ties into some of the targets to, like Ramsey at the beginning? If I let him live, do I get a more satisfying "non-lethal" end for him later, like the first game offered.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Caufman posted:

Yes, the chaos meter returns in Dishonored 2. But like in the original Dishonored, the chaos meter is quite forgiving. Unless you spend the majority of the game killing, you'll still be in low chaos.

Regarding Ramsey: you'll see him again if you trap him

Cool. If I get the game I think a "Merciful Emily" and a "Vengeful Corvo" playthroughs will be in order.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Murder Corvo doesn't make sense since Low Chaos first game is canon and he's basically Dad Garret in personality/VA

Yeah, but he tried being nice once and now they've come and hosed with his family again. Time for "Death Wish" starring Corvo. I can see it working either way, with merciful runs as either character seeming more unlikely than high chaos ones. What's the incentive to leaving people alive? In the first game, you were being framed for murder and the people out to get you are innocent but deceived, this time usurpers from another nation waltz in and murder anyone loyal to you. That's practically suicide as far as I'm concerned, I'm just a vector.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Algus is a piece of poo poo and you should pick "Kill all the enemies" then use him as a target for throwing stones.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Here are some unsolicited tips for Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (specifically for the PS4 version; I make no claims for the PC release)

-Once a badge is unlocked it remains unlocked even if you reload to a state before you unlocked it. So if there are two badges on a stage, one for opening the north door first and another for opening the south door first, you can open one door, reload, open the other door, and get both badges.
-Some badges will only register as completed once you complete the stage even if you meet the requirements. If you think you've done what the badge is requiring you to do, make a save and end the level.
-You can quickly rotate through the abilities or characters by tapping L1 or R1 respectively.
-If you hold R1 and use X you can select multiple characters at a time. Then you can tap R1 to rotate through the selected characters only, and all selected characters will mimic the lead (crouching, walking in a line behind the leader, etc.)
-Using Shadow Mode will slow down time a little bit and your "shadow character" moves a lot faster. You can also move the shadow character into position while standing/running, then crouch before setting the waypoint, and the character will crouch-walk the whole way to the waypoint once you active the plan. This is useful to save time if you need to position someone who won't be in any real threat of being seen.
-All characters have non-lethal attacks (Takuma's are non-lethal bombs) that can be selected by highlighting the character in the R1 wheel and pressing R3. Targets who are subdued non-lethally will wake up eventually, but if you hide the body in a building or a well they will never return and will not count as a kill. Note that they will still appear on your mini-map as red dots.
-There is no penalty for killing civilians aside from disqualifying you from some badges during that run. If you are running a stage with a specific goal in mind (for a speedrun badge, or to avoid going in the water for example), feel free to kill a few peasants.
-Really experiment with different abilities. Things that distract guards, like the rock, can also disrupt patrol patterns and provide new openings. Sneezing powder works just as well on Straw Hats and Samurai as it does on the generic Guards.
-It's impossible to ignore Shadow Mode. The only way to kill some groups is to do it simultaneously, but sometimes it's useful just to queue up an action so you can trigger it with one button instead of switching characters, targeting and executing.

There are a decent number of tips the game provides at relevant times during the loading screens, so I kind of tried to avoid repeating those.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

im cute posted:

Ur-Quan Masters is a really good Star Control game. Better than Escape Velocity, even.

I really enjoyed EV Nova back in the day, but have never played a Star Control game. I didn't know I was gonna find a sick recommendation this morning.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, I guess this question naturally follows: What should I know before playing Ur-Quan Masters for the first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

Just grabbed The Evil Within for the PS4. Anything I should know?

You do not need to burn enemies to prevent them from returning to life. I mention this because ice seen it mentioned a few times in the thread for the sequel, but unlike Resident Evil you don't need to burn the bodies. Burning enemies is an instant kill and is useful to kill groups that are on top of one another, enemies playing dead, and larger enemies that would normally take a lot of ammo.

Upgrade your harpoon bolts when you get them. They are cheap to make and when upgraded to the max do a bunch of damage and light enemies on fire. Even at level 3 or 4 they can kill mini bosses with just a few shots.