Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
Welp, I just put down a deposit on a new 848 Streetfighter. I am getting a yellow one, because the internet tells me that yellow is faster. Now I just hope it shows up before I get home, so I don't have to sit around not riding it.

I am so excited you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Olde Weird Tip posted:

So, one of these?

Very nice!

yeah, MY GIRLFRIEND says it looks like a hornet, I just think it looks spectacular, everyone in my town rides a "sick gixxxxxxxer" or a stretched, slammed, and chromed Busa and I am just tired of looking at full fairing bikes. I am slightly concerned about the lack of wind protection for longer rides, but everything I have read tells me that under about 85 it is quite comfortable, plus the bike itself is supposed to be quite roomy, so here's hoping I can find a decent looking tank/tailbag combo to go on some trips with it. (Florida is the land that turns forgot)

Plus it looks like I am going to extend out here for another month, which will let me come home to the bike waiting for me, plus net me enough money to pay for it, so woo.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've been kicking around the idea of doing a Big American Road Trip by motorcycle in the time between when my current work contract expires (next July) and I go to start graduate school. I'd be getting back to the US the last week of August, and would be leaving for grad school in late January/early Feb, most likely. I'd like to visit friends in Vancouver/Seattle, San Francisco, Arizona/New Mexico, and also up in the northeast. Thinking may be a fly-and-ride from the west coast is the way to do it. I guess late October is sorta my cutoff for decent riding weather?
I'm in the dark here, originally from Florida :negative:

I am actually planning the same thing after this semester of school, starting in Florida and heading west until I hit the pacific. I have a big advantage though that I have no real time constraints. I have been looking for information on things I will really need, aside from my AAA card and some cash.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
Is everyone just taking the same idea of "no jobs anyway, why not ride around the country at random?" that I am using as my excuse?
I guess my Buell will be about ready for an oil change and possibly new tires by the time I leave, I still need to get decent luggage, I would love a set of hard bags, but most estimates come in at nearly $1000 for the racks and saddlebags, and that is a bit steep.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

What model Buell? I got Happy Trail racks, Caribou/Pelican 1550 boxes for panniers, and Home Depot mounting solution on the Uly... all said and done about $600 into it.

I have a lighting long, which I guess is the same length as the uly, but with different mounting points, I have been looking around, and I am not sure if they even make racks for my bike, which is annoying since it is supposed to be the step between the xb12s and the xb12x.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

High Protein posted:

What kind of a map are you on now? I've got one the first owner had made for him on the dyno but the tuner disabled the o2 sensors, which I think is odd because the guy is supposed to be really good, yet it seems like a workaround. I'm considering going back to the standard Buell race map so maybe my mileage will improve, the very best I've gotten is 42MPG and if I do stoplight sprints around town it drops to 35.5.

Sweet, what year/color? I've got a black 2007. Can't help you with the hard bags though.

I got an 06 in red/red, though I am in the middle of plasti-dipping it black with bronze wheels. I am almost certain I am going to end up just getting the Tourmaster soft bags, since I have the tailbag part of the set already. Between that, and a tall tankbag I can lean on for the long rides I will have more than enough storage. Hard bags are more of a dream item than anything I realistically need for the trip.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

n8r posted:

SS lines don't add to braking power

I am giving the benefit of the doubt and assume he means braking feel rather than actual stopping power. It took me a minute, because I (stupidly) didn't even think bikes came with rubber brake lines, then I remembered that not everyone rides a sport bike.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Gotta rotate the engine out to do the rear pipe, not doing that on the road.

It's pretty minor, I'm not worried about me, I'm pretty tough. I have other 1st degree burns from the sun which are more annoying.

At least it's throwing off the heat rather than melting. I half expected heat related mechanical issues by now. If Moab didn't kill it nothing will. Not really burning much oil either, Mobil 1 does it's job well.

update from not-phone:

We're into Roswell tonight. We have a 540 mile push into San Antonio tomorrow.

The riding is 99% uneventful. We had one semi truck in Idaho doing some crazy poo poo, but we saw it develop and made some space. Idaho, right? I saw TWO Buells - a Barricade Orange Ulysses near Boise and a Blast in SLC. I had a "your bike is still running" regarding the fan and a "is that the Ducati" at gas stations; proof I'm on a Buell.

Up a hill, into a headwind, 7500ft or so I could go WOT and the bike would just lug; too lazy to downshift. Hasn't skipped a beat though. We've been doing about 70mph. Colorado Plateau state highways and scenic byways are great at 70. You get all the scenery and you still make time.

Northern New Mexico is great, cool air, lots of trees, massive panoramic earth-curvature views. I guess elk are a problem for motorcyclists though. I had a volunteer firefighter who rode his BMW from San Francisco to Times Square New York tell me all about the elk in Chama, NM.

Hi5 burnt leg buddy. We are in a hotel in New Orleans this morning, headed towards College Station next, then Carlsbad Caverns. Getting out of Florida was an ordeal, super humid, and camping next to a swamp resulted in both of my feet getting ruined by biting flies. I used some water heater insulation under my seat to keep from boiling my crotch, the right side is pretty warm, but I found that moving around a lot keeps me from getting too cooked.
My girlfriend is a much less experienced rider than I am, so we are lucky if we make it 300 miles in a day, but honestly, even without a windshield I am pretty happy about the trip so far.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
We went from one of the worst nights, to one of the better days of the trip so far, camping in West Texas is a terrible idea, especially when storms are on the forecast, got so bad we had to drag the tent into the bathroom to ride out the storm, woke up at 5 in the morning, and rode hell for leather out of Texas. Oddly enough, as soon as we got to New Mexico, the weather cleared up, and the roads smoothed out.

We ran down to Carlsbad Caverns, since the girl had never been there, it continues to be the most awe inspiring natural phenomena that I have ever seen. After we hiked back out of the hole in the ground, we made our way up to Roswell to get a hotel room. Probably won't make it past Santa Fe today, because the alien museum doesn't open until 10, and I have not yet fulfilled my quota of ridiculous tourist trap stuff.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

A new Bonneville? I actually don't think I've ever seen a hipster riding one of those. Around here they're mostly yuppie dadcycles.

I like the new bonneville actually. Though I really want a scrambler. and a Tiger Explorer, and a Vmax, and a DRZ, and and and.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Deeters posted:

So is RideApart just trying to be a motorcycle Buzzfeed? All they need is a "15 Gifs of how you feel when riding a bike".

I found rideapart as a youtube channel, and I actually thought it was pretty cool, then they stopped making new videos, and started the blog page and now it is just useless. at least before there was some decent cinematography.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But the limiting factor up to that speed on anything big is rear tyre traction and keeping the front wheel on the ground - the naked will always be slower in that equation because of the higher CoG. If you want faster up to a 100 (kph or mph) you'll be much better off making the swingarm longer than putting any more horses in it.

The argument seems to be all about straight line acceleration, which to my mind is the least interesting thing about motorcycle comparison, drat near anything with two wheels is going to go 0-60 faster than 80-90% of cars, especially if you are comparing literbikes.
At what point do you say, "you know what, getting to illegal .002 seconds faster isn't really a big deal, let's make the thing more rideable for the other 90% of the time."

Like you say, if all you care about is going faster, slam your suspension and stretch the swingarm. It makes everything else suck on the bike, but at least you get your speeding ticket sooner.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

Sure it could have. I used a friend's '88 Toyota minitruck with a 4-banger to tow my AE86 up I-5 from Eugene to Portland, and that had to weigh heavier than an RX-7 shell. People in the US always seem to overestimate how much truck they need to tow poo poo, it's mind-boggling.

I was going to say, I used a Saturn Sky to drag a U-haul trailer from Florida to Eugene with all my furniture, and a dog, and it never made a peep.

To bring this back on topic, I did this after riding the Buell there, via San Diego.
(MY GIRLFRIEND did the trip on a V-star 650)

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's an old as gently caress bar, and hasn't been men only in decades:

http://luckeysclub.com/

You know, when I first moved here, I went in there thinking it was a cigar lounge, not knowing Oregon's smoking laws, and thought it was depressing, maybe I will have to go check it out again.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Update on my bike's mysterious unwillingness to start/sudden alarming oil leak: finally had a chance to look at it after work, started the first kick. Leaked a decent bit of oil then settled back into its usual good-natured (and non-threatening) occasional drip. Gonna keep a close eye on it until I can get it in to the shop (probably next weekend, wanna use it this weekend), but pretty happy to still be on the road.

I figured I owed the bike a solid so I cleaned/lubed the chain (been putting it off for a bit too long) and replaced the ziptie I had holding on the license plate with the proper bolt.

I have gotten to the point where I immediately replace plate bolts with zipties, it is the only way to keep them from rattling off.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

n8r posted:

EBR/Buell fanboys are like the mormons of motorcyclists.

I mean, I really like my Buell, it has taken across the country, with virtually no issues, and thus far, it has never left me stranded. I am also aware however, that compromises have been made, especially with the HD powered buells.
The way I look at it though, if this bike is already faster than me, why do I need an even faster one?

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Low CoG reduces stability at any speed other than 0.

That must be why they make motoGP bikes on stilts.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Yep, saved my rear end on my last trip. So worth the $35 I spent.

I guess I just have an iron rear end. 6500 miles on the stock Lightning seat, and I never had a problem.

I am packing for a trip down the Oregon and California coastlines next week. Florence to LA, and then back again. All I need is my sleeping bag and I am set.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Mostly because heat for me. On my 6000 mile trip last summer, 105 degree days on an aircooled Buell made me really appreciate the extra ventilation under my rear end.

I will admit riding into Vegas at 110 was brutal, but I had some water heater insulation under my seat, so I was more interested in spraying water into my helmet to keep my face cooler.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

1 week away from a tour around the west on my buell. I should cross 62k miles by the time I get home. A little over a year ago I rolled 50k in the Bonneville salt flats, that was pretty cool.

What is going to break? Whoever guesses correctly gets the old broken part.

calling rear brake. (that is what I broke last year) Or front fork seal (that is what I broke this week)

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008
I probably shouldn't have made fun of you before leaving on my trip down the 1. It looks like I have blown a fork seal, and let all the magic smoke (oil) out of my suspension, and on further inspection, my belt is starting to look significantly dry rotted, so this may be the last bike trip for the year.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The problem is the itinerary if you were doing it as a tour would be like "Days 1-3, New York, Chicago, culture, excitement!", Days 12-15 "Vegas, LA, sex drugs and rock and roll" and Days 4-12 "Looking at wheat fields".

I suppose it would be a cool experience to just go as near non-stop as possible from NY to LA or something, but it's not a ride I think you'd do for enjoyment of the ride itself or of the sights along the way.

Our solution was to start in Florida, and hug the coast to texas, and somewhere around New Mexico or Colorado, it became worth visiting, I think it took us almost a month to make it FL to Los Angeles, but half the fun is taking your time to actually enjoy the country.

Edit: If you are in to National Parks (and for gently caress sake why wouldn't you be?) the west half of the US tends to be better.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

builds character posted:

Nobody chooses the buell. :sigh:

How did you like hugging the coast of Texas? It's one state I've just hated driving through. Cops are sticklers for speeding, it all looks the same from the highway and it takes approximately fourteen years to make it through. I think this would be different if you were stopping off at a few places but when I drove straight through it was miserable.

I think we ditched the coast at that point for family in college station, then headed towards Colorado, it was a very meandering 2 and a half month journey, we never made it further than Portland I think, before deciding to just rent a house here in Oregon rather than ride through Idaho and Kansas to go home.

It looks really ridiculous when you type it all out like that. Jesus.

edit: I did it on a Buell. On purpose even.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I'd avoid the 07s but aim to pay less for an 06. The 08+ have a lot of worthwhile improvements though.

The EBR ECM is a must for whatever year.

Is the ECM just an improvement for the Ulysses, or is it a marked improvement for the other bikes in the line as well? I reflashed the race map onto my lightning, and it cleared up a lot of the problems i was having.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

ninmeister posted:

I passed the MSF over the weekend and took my first by myself ride yesterday for about 50 miles. Was quite possibly the best thing ever.

That's my story.

I took the MSF 12 years ago, going for a ride is STILL the best thing ever.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

bird cooch posted:

Oh blow it out your rear end. Thats some bullshit and you know it. I guess we should all sell our bikes for honda sprees with lights and sirens and only ride around during daylight hours dressed in dayglow pantsuits just in case there is something around the next corner.

Man, I never would have thought "ride within the limits of your vision when on a public road" would be a controversial statement, but here we are.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Have you rode OR-242 between Springfield and Bend? I hope it's open in a couple weeks when I go through.

It should be open, there was zero snow in the pass this year. It is a gorgeous road if you haven't been through it yet. Honestly, even 126 is a pretty decent ride, if a bit straight at times, and the coast road, is the pacific coast, so there is that.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

You guys, lets talk hearing protection, do you use it? Why or why not? I haven't tried any to date but am considering it.

Never not ride without earplugs. The wind noise wears you out otherwise, I feel beat after 3 or 4 hours without without them. Putting in some decent earplugs lets me still hear my Sena, but it sounds like I am riding in the plushest of luxury cars, and I feel fine after 8-10 hour days on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

It's been hotter in western WA lately than in Sturgis. Heck yes, I could use a cool weather vacation in a couple weeks! My bike and rear end are ready.

I just assume no other goons are going or I'd say we should get a beer at the Full Throttle. I heard they're expecting almost a million this year; the three times I went they tallied 400,000ish. It is going to be insane.

Not if all the devils that ever were got behind me and pushed.

Besides, I still have the blown fork seals and some other front end issues after a low speed wipe out in Big Sur.