Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The_Frag_Man posted:

I can think of one legitimate use and that's to get around the region locking.

By using a ROM of the foreign game. I suppose with the 2.0 update, you could purchase the game and dump your own ROM onto the cart.

That being said, the Gateway people got around the whole one persistent save thing sometime between when they first showed it off (and revealed it didn't work on the current firmware they were gloating it would run on.) The whole thing is done through setting the legacy DS name to cause a buffer overflow. Nintendo patched it out in 5.X firmware, so all the 2DS and Legend of Zelda special editions will not be running it for a long time.

The Gateway team and some other independent hackers like @smealum on twitter have managed to do some pretty interesting stuff by running firmware off an SD card and even creating a custom firmware that allowed for RAM editing the 3DS and revealing the secret Pokemon in X&Y, but in all those cases are using the 4.5 exploit.

E: Apparetly there are a few now, Gateway 3DS, R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe, 3DSLink(A clone of the R4i), and Orange 3DS(another R4i clone)

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Dehry posted:

By using a ROM of the foreign game. I suppose with the 2.0 update, you could purchase the game and dump your own ROM onto the cart.

That being said, the Gateway people got around the whole one persistent save thing sometime between when they first showed it off (and revealed it didn't work on the current firmware they were gloating it would run on.) The whole thing is done through setting the legacy DS name to cause a buffer overflow. Nintendo patched it out in 5.X firmware, so all the 2DS and Legend of Zelda special editions will not be running it for a long time.

The Gateway team and some other independent hackers like @smealum on twitter have managed to do some pretty interesting stuff by running firmware off an SD card and even creating a custom firmware that allowed for RAM editing the 3DS and revealing the secret Pokemon in X&Y, but in all those cases are using the 4.5 exploit.

E: Apparetly there are a few now, Gateway 3DS, R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe, 3DSLink(A clone of the R4i), and Orange 3DS(another R4i clone)

Apparently the R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe will allow you to get around region locking on even the latest 3DS firmware. Gateway 3DS has fallen a little bit behind as it can't do that and still hasn't released a new firmware. (Which, even then, I don't think has been said to support the latest 6.0 firmware.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just wish that I could edit my animal crossing save file to get back the 120 hours I lost when the SD card died since you can't backup the save. :(

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
:stare:

Do you keep playing? I don't think I ever could.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The_Frag_Man posted:

I can think of one legitimate use and that's to get around the region locking.

It's why the PS3 went region-free for one thing. A lot of courts around the world agreed that chipping your PS2 to get around region locks was perfectly fine, thus giving it a legitimate reason to exist. If they could argue the same case for 3DS flash cards, it could have interesting implications.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's why the PS3 went region-free for one thing. A lot of courts around the world agreed that chipping your PS2 to get around region locks was perfectly fine, thus giving it a legitimate reason to exist. If they could argue the same case for 3DS flash cards, it could have interesting implications.

Nintendo got flash carts banned from Japan. They don't seem to pay any mind to the rest of the world.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Ok there's an update available to me and I'm in 6.3.0-12U does the new update block cards again or am I safe to update?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It's best to just take it for granted that the newest updates are gonna block the Supercard until you patch up.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

New update is out and works on the latest update as per usual update the card then update the 3ds
Here's a direct link to the download.
http://down.supercard.sc/download/dstwo/Firmware/Firmware_v1.25_eng.zip

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Latest 3ds firmware does not block DS2 supercard if its on the previous firmware.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Is the SuperCard DSTWO still the best bet for those wanting to play DS games on a 3DS? At some point I stupidly updated to 4.4.0-10U, rendering my AceKard 2i inoperative.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As far as I know its one of the only ones receiving regular firmware updates yet to unbreak the changes that 3ds firmware updates make to block it

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
How likely is it to accidentally brick my 3DS? I'm interested in getting a flashcard but I'm terribly afraid of loving myself over. I'd use a DS instead, but my old one if busted and I don't want to buy a new one.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

horriblePencilist posted:

How likely is it to accidentally brick my 3DS? I'm interested in getting a flashcard but I'm terribly afraid of loving myself over. I'd use a DS instead, but my old one if busted and I don't want to buy a new one.

Very difficult. Using a supercard you don't flash the 3DS bios or anything, you just update the DSTwo. What you can do is lock yourself out of being able to update the flash card unless you had access to an older system. You just have to be careful not to update the 3DS until you are sure you have the right update for the flash card, otherwise you need to find an un-updated 3DS or a regular DS to update the flash card again.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

If your on current firmware on DS2 Supercard the latest 3DS firmware doesn't block it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Esoteric hardware question here, for lack of a better thread (and also because the topic of opening up DSs apparently came up in this thread a couple years ago):

Does anyone know enough about the display hardware/cabling to know whether it's possible to fix screen ghosting on a phat DS? Starting up my old DS today I was reminded that, several years ago, my DS gained a ghosting issue where the red values that are supposed to be displayed on the top screen are displayed on the bottom screen (and vice versa) creating a red ghost of any light or white elements on the opposite screen.

Unfortunately, while Youtube has one posting of a video that seem to demonstrate the problem, I can't find any real discussions about the issue (only a single unhelpful post on Nintendo's own forums).

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003
After reading several pages of this thread I know that the supercard is the best option for nds emulation, but besides that, is the r4i gold 3ds or gateway any good at all? Secondary to that, does the secondary card (not the 3ds specific one) allow running of homebrew and emulation? I'm finding mixed reviews and information, it seems like some vendors are just copy pasting info blocks from other carts.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Does anyone know of a good chiptune homebrew ROM that I could pop on my DS and use? I need to make sound effects and background music for a game we're making in one of my classes and since we're going with a 2D sidescroller style I'd like to try my hand at some good ole 8bit synth

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don't think Nintendo's bothered for a while, but the newest 3DS firmware doesn't block the Supercard, right?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Nyarlathotep posted:

After reading several pages of this thread I know that the supercard is the best option for nds emulation, but besides that, is the r4i gold 3ds or gateway any good at all? Secondary to that, does the secondary card (not the 3ds specific one) allow running of homebrew and emulation? I'm finding mixed reviews and information, it seems like some vendors are just copy pasting info blocks from other carts.

I'm not sure what you mean by "secondary card", but if you're not using a 3DS, then the r4i is probably OK. The reason the Supercard has everything beat right now is because the development team is frequently releasing patches to keep the card working on the latest 3DS firmware. As far as I can tell, the gateway is just for running 3DS roms on the 3DS and isn't really meant for NDS emulation or homebrew.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Last Celebration posted:

I don't think Nintendo's bothered for a while, but the newest 3DS firmware doesn't block the Supercard, right?

Latest Supercard DSTwo firmware works on the latest 3DS firmware at the time of this post.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Tusen Takk posted:

Does anyone know of a good chiptune homebrew ROM that I could pop on my DS and use? I need to make sound effects and background music for a game we're making in one of my classes and since we're going with a 2D sidescroller style I'd like to try my hand at some good ole 8bit synth

It's not exactly chiptune or homebrew but the Korg DS-10+ synth is pretty fun if you can get your hands on it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FlyingCheese posted:

It's not exactly chiptune or homebrew but the Korg DS-10+ synth is pretty fun if you can get your hands on it.

Thanks man

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Not sure why nobody has posted it, but the original DS 7th Dragon RPG just had a completed translation patch put out a couple of days ago. He's also included a few balance tweaks in an optional version of the patch as the game had some issues that were commonly complained about, and suggests using that instead if you don't care about the ~original experience~

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
If I want to play GBA games on my 3DS, I should get the Supercard DSTWO, right? I have a DS Lite that I could use for all my GBA games, but the screens are so small now compared to my 3DSXL. Also the battery died on at least one of them. Just wanted to be really sure before I buy one.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Unoriginal posted:

If I want to play GBA games on my 3DS, I should get the Supercard DSTWO, right? I have a DS Lite that I could use for all my GBA games, but the screens are so small now compared to my 3DSXL. Also the battery died on at least one of them. Just wanted to be really sure before I buy one.

This is correct but you need to install the emulators after you get it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Unoriginal posted:

Yeah, GBA emulation works fine on that card.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Cool, thank you. Got it for $35.50 shipped from China, so not bad.

Edit: Finally got it. Man, the SNES emulator on this thing sucks. At least the GBA emulator works well which is largely what I bought it for, so I'm still happy with my purchase.

Unoriginal fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 22, 2014

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sorry to bump this, but it feels kind of inappropriate to use the 3DS thread proper. Does the new update block the Supercard? I doubt that Nintendo still gives a crap, but it'd be nice to make sure since I'm mostly replaying DS games now.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Is the new version "V7.2.0-17"? If so it looks like posters on the supercard forums are saying it is still working fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^ Yeah that's it, it was a super minor patch so it didn't really affect anything.

Last Celebration posted:

Sorry to bump this, but it feels kind of inappropriate to use the 3DS thread proper. Does the new update block the Supercard? I doubt that Nintendo still gives a crap, but it'd be nice to make sure since I'm mostly replaying DS games now.

You're all good :)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've got a DSi on 1.4.4u. Is it safe to bump up to the latest version if I wanna get a supercard later?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The latest* version of the DSi/XL firmware is 1.4.5 for E/J/U and 1.4.6 for everyone else. It got the same security update that the 2/3DS/XL got that killed almost everything in the flashcard market.

Supercard DSTWO and the occasional R4 knockoff are compatible with an update or two. Everything else is absolutely not.

I would still hold off on the DSi update until you get the DSTWO unless you can get something in writing saying it'll be current before it ships, or if you intend to use an older flashcard until you get it.

*Given it's been like two years, it's also almost certainly final.

Snaxxor
Jan 18, 2005

cool giraffe with
cool sunglasses
Just got a Zelda 3ds and my nephew thought he was cool and tech savvy and did all available updates while I was at work, was really hoping to get into snes/nes emulation..... What do I do from here? Return it to store and mention some kind of bug/carts not reading bullshit or can i still buy something like an R4 and be ok?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The 3DS pretty much broke everything but the DSTwo and certain R4Gold cartridges several updates ago. The Gateway piracy device needs firmware 4.x to run. If it's a newer model console (Animal Crossing and Black onward) it was never going to work anyways.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

dang, i updated before i realised flashing the 3ds was possible. will dstwo still work if i purchase it now and follow instructions and poo poo?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Probably.

Most that you can order from reputable stores* are already on compatible firmware, seeing as it hasn't needed a 'beat Nintendo's counter-hackers' update in over a year. Even if the official site doesn't say it, turns out it supports 7.2.

Those that aren't can be flashed in an old DS/lite, or (with some risk) emergency-flashed blind on an up-to-date 3DS.

*Admittedly I don't know what counts as reputable in Australia. Also you might want to pick something with a warehouse actually in Australia to keep customs out of it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yes, the DSTwo will work.

The DSTwo and R4i are just R4 cards updated to get around newer 3DS firmware security. They only run DS games and will not take advantage of the 3DS hardware, no matter what firmware version it is on. DSTwo has an advantage of its own on board processor that several homebrew devs have taken advantage of for their emulators.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The conversation in here's gotten a little stagnant - is there any flash card available that plays native 3DS software, not just DS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gateway 3DS and its clones. It uses an exploit only present in 4.0-4.5 firmware and can play all 3DS games and eshop titles. The most recent ones aren't available just because they haven't broken the encryption just yet.

• Locked thread