Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Resmarted posted:

I enjoy stream of consciousness poetry/songwriting and personal writing. I also(at least according to others) am good at writing in general but I have always struggled with procrastination, lack of motivation and often perfectionism.

On a similar note, I have become interested in the visual arts--drawing, graphic design, etc.. Throughout all of school I have always hated anything relating to art or anything remotely artistic and I avoided any creative projects. Now back in college I find myself drawn to the same things I once repelled.

Basically a former math/science guy forgot math and is interested in exploring the creative arts. How common or realistic is this?

As a creative person that is also a scientist I feel like I need to tell you to shut the gently caress up. They aren't mutually exclusive. But if you imagine that they are, they will be. The best advice I can give you is stop thinking and start doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I would look for some over-ear headphones and one of those little altoid-tin headphone amps if I were you.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Here's something! http://alle-noten.de/pdf/LLH2095.pdf

I found it by googling this:
code:
"Hard-Hearted Hannah" filetype:pdf intitle:hannah
Filetype:pdf is really helpful when searching for sheet music. Sometimes you can use the "black and white images only" option in google image search with success, but not this time.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Unconventional Oven posted:

I just recently bought an HP touchsmart laptop computer. I was wondering if there's any setting or programs that make up for the fact you have no keyboard while in the flipped screen drawing mode. I know they have shortcuts in Photoshop CS for cintiqs, but I was wondering if there's a program I can use for other programs such as Opencanvas. Basically so I can use the CRL+Z shortcut function with out having a keyboard.
If you wanted you could plug a mouse/keyboard/anything in to it and use it as a hotkey instead. If adobe doesn't let you change the setting you can just use autohotkey to send "ctrl Z" whenever you click the forth mouse button or whatever you plugged in.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

MS Word 2010 question: Do you guys have any idea why this is happening?

Table-breaking Screen-shot: http://i52.tinypic.com/2ltqzqh.png

The problem I'm talking about is the spacing of the headings. All three headings are "Heading 1", and I've looked for any kind of option that mentions uneven spacings at the beginning of a page, but I haven't found any. Any of you tech-writing goons have a guess?

Edit: For whatever reason, changing the "before" spacing of heading 1 fixed it. I have no idea why it was applying the before spacing to only the first one, but it was...

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 16, 2010

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

FlyingFish posted:

I just thought of this and realized that I have no idea how the Photoshop "save for web" function works on a technical level.

So, let's say I save something for web, as a jpeg. If I open the optimized for web jpeg, and save for web again - what happens? Does Photoshop squeeze the image through whatever algorithm it uses and compresses it down even further, or does nothing happen since all the extra information has been discarded already?

Every iteration loses a bit more of the original detail. If you're saving it as a really low quality jpeg this can introduce more and more artifacts. It is a lot like copying a copy of a copy in a copy machine. Each successive product is an approximation of the last one and it will just get worse and worse if you do it over again.

Sometimes gbs has photochop threads where everyone edits/adds-to the same image, and they have to save it as a PNG (a lossless format) so that the artifacting doesn't build up and up and up.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Here's the Sewing and DIY Fashion Megathread. Its a real good resource but you have to ignore a lot of posts about old lady quilts.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

a pwn cocktail posted:

Was hoping someone could identify some art for me:

0:15, 0:20, 1:37, 2:38, 2:50

Thanks for any help.

John Cage's 4'33"

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

PoorPeteBest posted:

Does anyone have any resources for scientific illustration? I'm not talking about the highly polished stuff you see in text books, I'm simply looking for a way to make quick, accurate illustrations in my field journal.

For the work I do, MATLAB has been the easiest way. If you want a program that is a little more like drawing, Autocad is also a great and mathematically precise way to draw.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Not sure if this thread or the 3dcg thread is the appropriate place to put this, but does anyone know how to achieve this effect?

From what I can tell it's a composite of what is most likely a sketchup model and a photograph. But what was done to create the hand drawn look?

I think the paper texture has a lot to do with what makes it hand drawn.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Students learn grammar as they learn the rest of the language. It is a waste of time to focus on grammar explicitly.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

People who put things on bulletin boards don't read bulletin boards. You are wasting your time.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

You can numerically transform things in photoshop. It's usually at the top when you initiate free transform. Using that, you can record an action to duplicate and rotate and then just run it until you are satisfied.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Populace?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Red Crown posted:

I'm looking to get a microphone for my organization. We've recently started recording a lot of our events for eventual publication on YouTube. We have a nice camera that takes really high quality video, but it doesn't do that great of a job with the audio. We have a lot of older speakers, so we need something that can pick up that kind of thing reliably. I don't know the first thing about this. Our budget is tight, but not that tight. Is there anything we can get for between $100 and $300?

There is a recording thread in Musician's Lounge that might be able to help you: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2292898

It moves a lot slower than normal threads but the advice is pretty good in my opinion.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

University surplus stores are a great place to get used projectors for really cheap. Just make sure you know the price of the inevitable bulb replacement before you buy one.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Do you have access to Google Docs? I just wrote out a spreadsheet formula that takes a foreground, background and alpha cell in A2, B2, and C2 (respectively):

code:
=dec2hex(hex2dec(mid(A2,2,6))*C2+hex2dec(mid(B2,2,6))*(1-C2))
Where A2 and B2 contain hex preceded by octothorpes like #FF00FF, and C2 contains a number between 0.0 and 1.0

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

kedo posted:

I do and would love to check that out (I am terrible with spreadsheet formulas and basically have no clue what all that means). Can you share the doc so I can see it in action? ian [an at sign] colorcrate [a dot] com

I shared it with you. Feel free to email or gchat me if you have any questions.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

There are so many different ways to achieve a certain file size that any tool that did so would be just as complicated as the file size dialog, probably.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I have had this site bookmarked for a really long time and it has a pretty exhaustive collection of poses: http://www.posemaniacs.com/

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Can't you just try them out and see?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Well you deleted your old description but why can't you just use google docs?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

God Over Djinn posted:

Is it inherently offensive for me (a white person) to write a story where the narrator speaks in AAVE? Or just if it's inaccurate/over the top 'Law' sakes I gotta get me some co'nbread' poo poo? As a linguist I think I can do a reasonably accurate toned-down AAVE that comes through in writing, but I don't know if it'd be offensive just on principle.

In my opinion, the most appropriate way to handle this is by pointing out that the character speaks in some particular way, and then write normal dialog. I'm not really concerned about it being racist, I just know that it is annoying as hell when authors try to embellish speech by making it harder to read the dialog.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Has anyone written up what can/can't be uninstalled from Adobe Master Collection CS 5.5? I bought it a while back and I am endlessly irritated by the amount of adobe bloatware running in the background, but I don't want to completely remove it for fear of breaking anything I actually use.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

As long as it is not spec work just post a thread in SA Mart and link it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

How technologically literate are you? There was recently a discussion in Yospos about drawing diagrams that you might find relevant. It starts here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3481275&pagenumber=857&perpage=40#post428941391

If it is for academic use I would recommend TikZ: http://www.texample.net/tikz/examples/family-tree/

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I would personally go with the same rules as for "Mom" and "Dad". Capitalize it when you are calling a single, specific person "Dad" or "Captain" and lowercase if you are just talkin' about a dad.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Koramei posted:

I'm mostly posting just so I can look up a response to something I asked a while ago but I might as well ask something new: does anyone know a plugin/ a way to add a 'clear layer' button to photoshop, like the one there is in manga studio? Deleting and creating a new layer is oh so stressing on my fingers.

Also a way to paint transparency, like an eraser but using the settings of the current brush?

I know ways to do both of those things with a little bit of trouble in ps, but in manga studio there were instant hotkeys for those functions and I'm missing them a lot :sigh:

If you want to clear the layer, you can just press Ctrl-A to select all, and then the delete key. But I feel like that is super obvious so I must be misunderstanding your question.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

You're almost certainly limited by your own upstream bandwidth, so the service won't make a difference. 5GB a day is ~450 k/sec which is a pretty decent upload speed in America. 40 gigs is just a lot of data.

Are you sure it is all worth backing up? A program like WinDirStat can help you figure out what's taking up so much room if you need help finding things to trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Soul Reaver posted:

It would probably take me a day to record all the lines if I did it myself. The character is about the 3rd most important in the game and so does have quite a few lines (approx. 80 lines of varying lengths).

Should I have any picture at all (eg this one http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/script/images/9/90/Sc2_end_talana.png but cropped to just show the face ) or should I not even do that?

It's probably too late to remove it from that site as everyone that's likely to look at the ad already has...

Any other recommendations for other places to advertise?

Just bang it out yourself in a day with a husky lady voice or post-process your regular voice.