Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

that looks more garlic than carrot to me unless it's much more zoomed in than it seems
That's what I was thinking too. I don't remember her putting garlic in that exact spot, but it's exactly in the carrot rows. Should be fun to find out lol

Bi-la kaifa posted:

No that's just a really big carrot
it's this

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chad Sexington posted:

that looks more garlic than carrot to me unless it's much more zoomed in than it seems

Looks like a cotyledon that is still folded over to me.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Took another picture, this time hopefully with a better sense of scale. The second sprout behind it makes me think carrots, because the 4yo kinda put her carrot seeds between rows as well

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Took another picture, this time hopefully with a better sense of scale. The second sprout behind it makes me think carrots, because the 4yo kinda put her carrot seeds between rows as well

Might be, but come back when we can see some leaves and people will just be able to go “oh yeah, those look like carrots”. It’s more likely than garlic though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I really am not getting carrot vibes from those. We'll see when the first true leaves come up, yeah.

For example, here are my just-sprouted carrots. The white yarn is pretty standard worsted-weight acrylic yarn. The sprouts start very small and thin.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

effika posted:

I really am not getting carrot vibes from those. We'll see when the first true leaves come up, yeah.

For example, here are my just-sprouted carrots. The white yarn is pretty standard worsted-weight acrylic yarn. The sprouts start very small and thin.

Yeah that's what i was expecting!

Okay so this morning the sprouts were noticeably bigger and i got paranoid that maybe it was some weed, so i gently tugged to see what would happen, if they were carrots they should give easily, but it was stuck hard. So i dug down a bit and found confirmed garlic ~6" down. At that point I'd already disturbed a bunch of soil so i figured I'd just remove it (sorry garlic).

Welp lol

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 23, 2024

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Just plant it back up, heck just leave it there and it'll root back down if you water it probably. Garlic is nigh unkillable.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Is this the right thread for discussing planting flowers as well? Been trying to spruce up my balcony and so far everything's going smoothly, but I have concerns going into the summer when it'll be 100+ degrees here every day for 3-4 months straight.

GlyphGryph posted:

I accidentally posted that to the wrong thread on my first attempt, so I suppose its only fair I ask in return if any of you know if antimagic cones are blocked by obstructions.

Not sure about this, but I think it's generally recommended to remove the antimagic seeds from the cones before planting them anyway.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Atahualpa posted:

Is this the right thread for discussing planting flowers as well? Been trying to spruce up my balcony and so far everything's going smoothly, but I have concerns going into the summer when it'll be 100+ degrees here every day for 3-4 months straight.
In my opinion, hell yes it is the right thread for discussing planting flowers. They are a valuable and beautiful part of any nature network.

quote:

Not sure about this, but I think it's generally recommended to remove the antimagic seeds from the cones before planting them anyway.
lol. It's all about the cones...

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Atahualpa posted:

Horticulture thread is better, but there are flowers that will thrive in that heat and others that can easily survive with enough water. I grow in Utah, the desert part, and keep dahlias alive by drowning them in water every single day.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So we just moved into this house a few weeks ago and today I noticed the century plant out front is sending up a flower stalk! These are cool as hell but my understanding is the plant dies after it flowers however it sends out shoots when it does. I am looking for some info/advice on how exactly that works and if there is anything I should be doing to give the new babies the best shot. One thing I noticed that you can see in the third and fourth pics are that the plant that is flowering is actually connected to the others by a big rear end trunk thingy running along the ground? Is that what is meant by shoots? Does only the plant flowering die or are they all going to kick it?

Edit: after reading a bit more it seems some varieties produce the pups or shoots while others produce seeds. Anybody know which kind I have exactly and what to expect?

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 25, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

so excited for this

https://x.com/formerlyfiz/status/1771922982329348253?s=20

gonna build at least one more and have a cute little tunnel of vining veggies.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

These are yuccas, which are in the same family as century plants (agaves). They have thin leaves instead of the meaty succulent leaves, and they spread via basal shoots like you noticed. I think each one tends to flower after one year and die, but they clone themselves so readily that it's more like one plant that jumps from place to place every year. They respond well to fertilizing; I have some in my garden bed that have gotten really big and dense because they steal some of my vegetable fertilizer. I'm doing a little resilience experiment on them this year because a loving tree fell on them and flattened them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Some species of yucca die after flowering, but most yucca plants that are used for landscaping don't.

The neighbors at our previous house had a bunch of them that would put out pretty pink red flowers every year.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 25, 2024

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Fitzy Fitz posted:

These are yuccas, which are in the same family as century plants (agaves). They have thin leaves instead of the meaty succulent leaves, and they spread via basal shoots like you noticed. I think each one tends to flower after one year and die, but they clone themselves so readily that it's more like one plant that jumps from place to place every year. They respond well to fertilizing; I have some in my garden bed that have gotten really big and dense because they steal some of my vegetable fertilizer. I'm doing a little resilience experiment on them this year because a loving tree fell on them and flattened them.

I've got a yucca in my front yard that has been chainsawed below ground level and strong poison applied to the stump and it still won't die, so I wouldn't be too worried.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Our neighbor ran over yuccas with a 4 wheeler, ripping 2 out of the ground in the process, but the other 3 are doing fine now. Definitely tough plants once established.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Amazon has the Fiskars Digging Shovel on sale for $23.99.

Not sure if I can cross thread quote but $24 for a killer shovel that will last forever.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have the transplanting spade. It's great.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Someone here or in the tools thread was singing the praises of some high-quality, made in USA, garden hoses and sprayers a while ago. Anyone remember what they were called?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

My seedlings have started to sprout! Arugula and cabbage so far, I think I see my spinach and salad greens starting to move. Hoping the peppers come up in the next few days :)

Also trying the Ruth Stout method in the veggie garden this year. We got two bunnies that yeild about 20 gallons of urine soaked hay and manure. Been stacking it up in the garden beds and will see how it goes this year :2monocle:

How's everybody's garden going so far?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Justa Dandelion posted:

It’s always difficult to wait. Want to get these baby plants in the ground

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

When's your last frost date?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Justa Dandelion posted:

Everything I've planted has sprouted at least once: carrots, beets, and Swiss chard. I will wait a few more weeks to get dill and basil seeds going, though I have volunteers for the dill that have already survived a few frosts. Now that they're getting true leaves I think they're the Dukat variety, or at least a hybrid, and not the Dwarf variety I also had. I guess I'll keep that dill in the bucket and have an open spot in my raised bed.... Probably for more cucumbers.

Only a month to go for cucumbers! :woop:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

my cucumbers in 9a have a handful of blooms each, just starting to go up their trellises.

giving some bush-types a try this year in grow bags with little a-frames, i've only grown the sprawling kinds in the past and down here they tend to go crazy in early summer then rapidly succumb to disease and mildew

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Someone here or in the tools thread was singing the praises of some high-quality, made in USA, garden hoses and sprayers a while ago. Anyone remember what they were called?

Love my Dramm garden hose sprayer attachments. Specifically the one with the aluminum sprayer head. The basic plastic sprayer heads break easily in my experience.

Never used their hoses though...

effika
Jun 19, 2005
It's impractical for most things but I really like my Flexon coiled garden hose. It expands to where need to be and stays out of my way when it's not stretched out. Great for patio-area gardening.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Justa Dandelion posted:

When's your last frost date?

My dude if you are able to divine that for me you are better than all the combined science of meteorology ever, because it’s extremely variable here.

But it’s listed in mid-April.

My chile plants will need 55°+ overnights reliably though, or at least I want that for them soon so that I have a decent yield. They are looking beautiful, but I don’t have the indoor facilities to pot them up again so I have 3 or 4 weeks max here before they end up stunted. Here’s hoping Mother Nature cooperates because we could have frost or 100°+ heat waves in May just as easily as something pleasant.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Is it possible at all to grow peppers indoors without edema? Lol

I've tried watering less, pointing fans at them, reducing light, but it seems like every year they just start looking more and more awful until they go outside. The temps and humidity in here are all within pepper tolerances and never really fluctuate.

I was hoping to grow some hydroponically in a grow tent this year but I feel like I'm doing something wrong or my apt has an edema curse.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Is it possible at all to grow peppers indoors without edema? Lol

I've tried watering less, pointing fans at them, reducing light, but it seems like every year they just start looking more and more awful until they go outside. The temps and humidity in here are all within pepper tolerances and never really fluctuate.

I was hoping to grow some hydroponically in a grow tent this year but I feel like I'm doing something wrong or my apt has an edema curse.

It may just be you. I've done it to the point where I was pruning them on a schedule because they were trying to take over the room. Not hydroponically, but in potting soil indoors. That probably helped with it as the plants didn't always have wet roots and I could let them dry out like they would in a hot spell outside.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Last year I assumed it was stagnant air so I got fans. This year I think it may just be that they're insanely overcrowded in the tent until I can move them out in a few weeks. There's like 14 of them in a 3x2 area in a drat near perfect canopy haha

They're growing like mad and look happy but the bottom of some of the larger leaves look really rough.

Dr_0ctag0n fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 29, 2024

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
They look really healthy. The bottom leaves are going to fall off in a month after being planted outside anyway and the plant isn't going to care about losing them. I'd try to move that one in the bottom right to get it a little more light so it can catch up in height, but other than that you should be fine if you feed them. When you put them outside make sure to tear up the root balls to make them work on new systems or they'll just stick with what they have.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

freeedr posted:

My dude if you are able to divine that for me you are better than all the combined science of meteorology ever, because it’s extremely variable here.

Here’s hoping Mother Nature cooperates because we could have frost or 100°+ heat waves in May just as easily as something pleasant.

Colorado?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Justa Dandelion posted:

My seedlings have started to sprout! Arugula and cabbage so far, I think I see my spinach and salad greens starting to move. Hoping the peppers come up in the next few days :)

Also trying the Ruth Stout method in the veggie garden this year. We got two bunnies that yeild about 20 gallons of urine soaked hay and manure. Been stacking it up in the garden beds and will see how it goes this year :2monocle:

Kind of in a holding pattern with it this year, as I wait for new ground cover (white clover and wild (non-poisonous) berries) to spread. I'm happy with it though, because that did involve a lot of work, especially since I had to try to remove a bunch of nightshade and creeping charlie in the process. Those fuckers have deep, tough roots. I'm certain I didn't get them all, but gently caress it, gotta do a little bit.

Good luck and best wishes to your garden!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Put out geraniums that I had overwintered indoors yesterday.

Deer ate them this morning. I don't know what I expected lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol owned

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

We don't deal with creeping Charlie where I'm at but we have a whole rear end mess of bind weed so I feel your pain.

Also sucks about those geraniums. Plant less tasty poo poo?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Bindweed is awful. The amount of effort it took to get rid of it all was immense. One of my coworkers used to be a landscape guy and he didn’t even believe I got rid of it. He would not even believe it was possible.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We planted some lettuce, spinach, and cilantro despite the temps still flirting with 30-32 some nights. Lettuce is coming up nicely. Cilantro is starting but some of the seedlings have disappeared, I suspect birds.

The strawberries and busting out into flowers.

Five squirrels are dead.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

A Kana scraper has seemed to work on all the bellflower here. Scraped it any time I saw it in a couple spots last season and it hasn’t reappeared. Might eat my words here in a little bit, but we’ll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Shifty Pony posted:

Five squirrels are dead.

what is your secret