Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

thepopstalinist posted:

Speaking of Fallout 2, how does everyone usually start off their game? I don't remember where I read it, but years ago I found out that you can really soften the difficulty curve by killing the drug dealers in the Den and taking their poo poo. It nets you decent armor and enough Small Guns to be pretty formidable early-mid game.

If I recall correctly, I used to start off some games by running down to the back entry way to the Enclave base, sneaking inside, and snagging power armor and energy weapons. That pretty much flattens out the difficulty curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Red Mundus posted:

One quick question. Does it matter if I play MOO 1 or 2 first? Am I to assume that MOO 2 is a more up to date game over MOO 1? Or should I play the first one from the get-go?

MOO 1 and MOO 2 play very differently. MOO 2 is a lot like Masters of Magic or Civ 2 in terms of building individual buildings on each planet, etc. etc. MOO 1 just has you allocate production on a planet through sliders to factories, ecology, shipbuilding, research, etc., and abstracts things a little bit more. Which one you like is a matter of preference.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Master of Orion 1 is still pretty good, but a lot more basic.

Master of Orion 1 has the benefit that you don't have to handle constructing every building on every planet, though. You just set sliders between various priorities (ships, defense, industry, population, growth) and call it a day. Similarly, you don't have to build each spy individually, just set income devoted to spy defense.

Master of Orion 2 is probably overall a better game, but the micromanagement is a fair amount worse than Master of Orion 1.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Developers were also scared about IPad/phone games being so cheap, but those don't really compete vs Xbox or PC games.

Depends. Spiderweb Software sells the same games on ipad and PC/Mac, and Jeff Vogel did a bit about the pricing:
http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/06/our-first-game-is-out-for-ipad-hooray.html

Of course, Spiderweb has the same issue with Steam:
http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/08/avadon-is-out-on-steam.html

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Blodskur posted:

Quest for Glory 1-5 is now on GOG for $9.99.

Dang. I actually still have my QFG Anthology (1-4) and QFG 5 discs around, but I feel compelled to buy this now. :10bux:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

dud root posted:

Its unclear at this point what additional patches have been applied to the CD version of Qfg4. For that particular bug make sure you sleep at the inn & get woken up in the middle of the night to speak to the domovoi before day 5.

Around Day 3, you can just wander into the inn from outside (climbing required) at the middle of the night and go downstairs, then leave the inn and go back to the good sleeping spot.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

1. Cheap deaths are one thing, but is there anything like if you do not feed some random rat some cheese that you can possibly eat yourself and lose forever, it will not return to rescue you from some random situation in the future, thus preventing you from progressing?

Not usually. In a few cases this does happen though. Once in QfG that I remember: don't eat the magic acorn, and once in QfG4 because of a bug: go downstairs in the inn at midnight before day 5 and talk to the domovoi.

Unlucky7 posted:

2. Are you able to export characters from QfG2 remake into QfG3?

Yes.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

drat. I am severely disappointed with how badly Privateer has aged. The mouse controls are bad, voice acting is terrible, and the UI overall is clunkly and difficult to use (Really? I have to look up how much the ships cost in the manual?).

I nostalgia'd really hard on it, but couldn't play for more than a few minutes.

You might want to try the remake:
http://privateer.sourceforge.net/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Wot's this? Is it complete?

It claims to be, including Righteous Fire.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Lodin posted:

They spent what, the last ten years saying it would be impossible to modify the game and sell it online? Wonder what happened there.

GrandpaPants posted:

What the gently caress, I was right? That was a joke answer because, well, what the gently caress? I thought the KoDP guys hated digital distribution/people and only wanted their game distributed through ultramodern CDs (or mobile phones, I guess)?

KoDP blog posted:

We have long wanted to provide a way for players to download the game. (When it came out in 1999, it was distributed on CD, as the most practical way to distribute 450 MB of data.) Back in 2006, we actually had a signed distribution deal (with another company). However, we were unable to rebuild the game in such a way that it didn’t require a CD, and still worked correctly. The fact that we were using a development system that had been discontinued in 1998 didn’t help.

Good Old Games took a different approach. I don’t know exactly what they did, but I assume it was some sort of patch. They do this sort of thing all the time, so they’re obviously good at it.

I think the KoDP guys just couldn't figure it out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Alabama Blacksnake posted:

Hey, is Wing Commander: Privateer as rad as it looks? (It looks pretty rad.)

Yes. Buy the game and then download the remake, though:
http://privateer.sourceforge.net/files.shtml

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SpRahl posted:

You want someone who can pick locks and disarm traps: Gadgeteer, bard, ninja, rogue. Someone to cast divine magic: Priest or Bishop. Someone to cast wizardry spells: mage or bishop. Two frontline fighters: Fighter, Rogue, Samurai, Monk, Valkyrie, Lord and Ninja. Having someone that can cast alchemy spells is also nice, the spell school is pretty solid and it allows you to mix potions for mad amounts of cash.

A bard or a gadgeteer is a very good addition to a party, though Id say the more newmbie friendly option is the bard.

Bishops vs pure casters, the short of it is Bishops are almost always better than the real thing their downside is they take more xp to level up than any other class save the ninja and spell skill levels can (though not always) lag behind their pure counterparts. Their upside is they can learn every spell in the game from every school get ungodly amounts of mana and can equip more protective gear than mages and psionics in the early game. Bishops are better but you can always roll with a mage and a priest and then maybe a ninja/ranger for alchemy.

There is a large selection of fighters and they all do things a bit differently.
-Fighters Lords and Valkries can all equip most of the weapons and armors in the game and their fighting ability tends to mirror their gear. Fighters Deal alot more damage and level up quickly, Valks and Lords have special abilities that make them harder to kill and eventually get access to divine magic.
-Rogues dont get as much of a gear selection but can still deal a ton of damage through their backstab attack and can get a very high armor class from gear+stealth+shield+speed.
-Monks, Samurai, and Ninjas all have the critical strike skill which gives them a chance of insta killing any target they damage they are also all hybrids Monks get psionics, Ninja's alchemy and Samurai Wizardry. In my opinion the Samurai is probably the weakest of the three both the monk and ninja though can become extremely powerful and Id recommend any party have one or both.

As I read this, I keep hearing that I should be rolling ninja/ninja/ninja/bishop/bishop/bishop.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SpRahl posted:

and gently caress ninjas (except solo fairy ninjas)

Uh-huh.

SpRahl posted:

Having someone that can cast alchemy spells is also nice, the spell school is pretty solid and it allows you to mix potions for mad amounts of cash.
Monks get psionics, Ninja's alchemy and Samurai Wizardry. In my opinion the Samurai is probably the weakest of the three both the monk and ninja though can become extremely powerful and Id recommend any party have one or both.

I'll give you the leveling bit.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Clouseau posted:

There isn't any reason to, other than for nostalgia/immersion purposes. The confusing streets of Shapier give it sense of being a city, and also act as partial copy protection since it's pretty helpful to have the paper map that was included in the game.

QFG2 VGA also allows for import/export into the other QFG games.

There is one easter egg that was cut from the original QFG2 EGA - Salt's Saurus Repair Shop that has been added into the QFG2 VGA version, if you use the classic street layout.

Double the import/export point; I've done that successfully.

Finally, regarding new content, there are a couple of things added into QFG2 VGA, none of which are mandatory. Almost all of them are integrated so well you'd never really know they weren't in the QFG2 EGA version unless you'd played that version obsessively, and the last one is basically newgame content that you have to really know what you're doing to trigger.

The aforementioned Saurus Repair Shop, the new wizard games with Keapon Laffin and Aziza, new thief house to burgle, the brigand found in Shapeir, and the Pizza Elemental.

Just play QFG2 VGA; it's great.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Peas and Rice posted:

I prefer the parser version of Quest for Glory I, because I didn't care for the claymation style of the remake and it was one of the first Sierra games I finished and replayed over and over as a 12 year old. But if you'd prefer the clicky version (no typing) -

Quest for Glory I VGA, the free to download Quest for Glory II VGA remake (not through GOG), then 3, 4, and 5 through GOG. The character importer should work all the way through for you.

I'm torn. The EGA version of QFG I looks like total poo poo now, but the VGA version doesn't let you keep fighting after running out of stamina.

I lean towards VGA, because then at least you get consistent visuals from I-IV.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Going back to Quest for Glory, I was planning on playing through all the games (sans the original versions of QFG 1 & 2). Is there a recommended build for a Fighter/Paladin character?

Go Thief in QFG1, buy all of the skills (only the Thief can start QFG1 with all the skills, although other classes can eventually get them all; you'll find that Pick Locks is less and less useful through the games if you want to be a Paladin), max them all to 100, then import to QFG2 and pick Fighter.

EDIT: As to actual starting skills, it doesn't really matter, as long as you remember that you want to practice weapon skills and strength / stamina for a few days before seriously venturing into the wild.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

dud root posted:

Bear in mind if you use magic/pick lock skills as fighter there are a few bugs where you wont be awarded points.

I'm pretty sure that was intentional. I think the designers really would have preferred that you play though the game 3-4 times as each class to see each answer to the puzzle, rather than using a hybrid character; in every[1][2] game but the first, there are certain pieces of content that you just can't see unless you're a certain class.

[1] There's a bit of a handwave on this for QFG2. IIRC, the Fighter alone has something special (EOF). Definitely in QFG3 there are certain bits that are very different by class, and in QFG4 there is also locked content for Paladins and Magic Users.

[2] I can't remember QFG5 well enough to tell you how that works out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Cool. Is there a big advantage to taking in an imported character vs starting a new one in QFG2? There is no persistence in terms of storyline or characters, is there? Rather only in stats and some inventory?

Storyline and characters are assumed regardless of whether you import or start a new character. The main difference is that an imported character can have significantly better stats - 100 in everything - while a new character will be stuck at somewhere around 60-70 at best. Ultimately anyone can overcome this difference, but c'est la vie.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Peas and Rice posted:

It was a Kickstarter and is published by Phoenix Games, who did Silver Lining and published Jane Jenson's Mobeus.

It's a :qfg:-like but, to crosspost from another thread:
[snip]
:smith:

Goddamnit. And I backed, too.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

BiggerJ posted:

Did they ever fix the bugs in Heroine's Quest?

I played through the Steam version in the last couple of months and didn't hit any bugs. Only did a fighter (hybrid) run though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

laserghost posted:

I need a honest opinion about Quest for Glory games, did they really aged badly and are obtuse as some people are saying or are the only savagable pieces from Sierra's adventure catalog?

No one can give you an honest opinion because nostalgia gets in the way. I love them all, and replay them every year or so, although I think QfG5 is the weakest of the lot.

I say buy them, but be sure to play the QfG2 VGA remake instead of the EGA original: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

How do the Betrayal games (Betrayal in Krondor, Betrayal in Antara, Return to Krondor) hold up?

I considered picking them up when they went on sale. However, a lot of the reviews cite technical issues with Betrayal in Antara, so I was curious if anyone had played it and ran into any issues.

Betrayal at Krondor is fun, although the graphics obviously show their age (21 years now).

Betrayal at Antara isn't worth playing - it's the same engine as Krondor but without the Midkemia license or Feist's involvement (he eventually novelized both Betrayal at Krondor and Return to Krondor). Since the story was the best part of Betrayal at Krondor, that doesn't help at all.

Return to Krondor I can't remember at all, which is probably a bad sign. This one did have Feist again, though, so it might just be my memory going.

For $6 I'd pick up the Betrayal at Krondor pack. If you like it, pick up Return to Krondor.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

The earlier books had a realistic quasi-medieval setting mixed with a healthy but not overwhelming dose of fantasy and sorcery. The later ones seem to have jumped the proverbial shark somewhat.

Somewhat. But the next series - and particularly Shadow of a Dark Queen - has a pretty nice Dirty Dozen feel to it.

After that, it's all more and more power creep and layer upon layer of pants-making GBS threads-eldritch-horror (which, in fairness, started from the very first book, and was well in place by A Darkness at Sethanon).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't want to start a to-do about FILES!, but the last update to the Dolphin Emulator that I've seen was late 2013, about 15 months ago. Care to point a finger for us?

Download is here:
https://dolphin-emu.org/download/?ref=btn

Games thread for Dolphin is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423255

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Mortimer posted:

what number does the noun 'score' mean? that doesn't make any sense

It means 20. It's a bit archaic but you hear it in the Gettysburg Address ("four score and seven years ago...").

quote:

Full Definition of SCORE
or plural score
a : twenty
b : a group of 20 things —often used in combination with a cardinal number <fourscore>
c : an indefinitely large number

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

I was told by a different dev that Toys For Bob owns all the dialogue/races/world/story of SC2 and what Stardock bought was pretty much just the name though I haven't heard that verified. That's why they are doing an origin reboot so its less awkward not including all the old stuff we remember.
That mostly tracks the Ur-Quan Masters' site:
  • Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford own the copyright on the universe and the code for the PC version of the game.
  • Crystal Dynamics owns the copyright on the 3DO manual and cutscenes.
  • Stardock now owns the trademark.
http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Star_Control_Intellectual_Property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ivantod posted:

Of course, it's all part of Jim Walls's hardon for "following procedure". It's mentioned in the game manual that you should always check your id when it's given back to you, so... you haven't followed procedure and rightly you fail the game in his eyes.

Police Quest does this sort of thing too - forget to walk around your car before driving off and you're dead, every time.

Mind you, not as bad because you aren't walking dead.