Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Doing this today but only 9% over since that hits our financial ceiling (what we feel comfortable affording, not what we can actually afford). This will be house offer number 7.

:allears:

Everything was going 20-30% over here in Seattle and surrounding suburbs. We assumed we were priced out of Seattle so we first looked towards the burbs but kept striking out. We got "lucky" by turning our search back towards the city where the house we bought only went 10% over asking.

I don't mean this to sound like a competition or anything but we saw 100 houses in person and put in 20 offers over 6 months. We were just about to hit the pause button and got lucky in may once the inventory really started picking up. Hang in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

marjorie posted:

Oh ffs!

Okay, well this house I'm looking at has been on the market for a month (this is after being relisted because a deal earlier in the summer fell through). There's gotta be something wrong with it (I'm in Portland and it's in a pretty desirable neighbourhood so this time on market is pretty unusual). Next thing you're going to tell me is to schedule a viewing.

trying to close in montavilla tomorrow

:getin:

marjorie
May 4, 2014

The Saucer Hovers posted:

trying to close in montavilla tomorrow

:getin:

Ooo, that's one of my areas of interest. Good luck! The house I'm stalking is on the edge of Ladd's. If it's still up this weekend I really might drop by out of curiosity.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Verman posted:

:allears:

Everything was going 20-30% over here in Seattle and surrounding suburbs. We assumed we were priced out of Seattle so we first looked towards the burbs but kept striking out. We got "lucky" by turning our search back towards the city where the house we bought only went 10% over asking.

I don't mean this to sound like a competition or anything but we saw 100 houses in person and put in 20 offers over 6 months. We were just about to hit the pause button and got lucky in may once the inventory really started picking up. Hang in there.

Oh I'm in Seattle too. We're being especially picky because we want to live in a specific area in the city and are happy to continue renting if we don't end up buying a place. Suburbs are not an option because we both don't want to go back to suburb living (we live in downtown Ballard). Our friends bought in May and they paid 24% over.

We're only 3.5 months into it ourselves. But definitely eyeing that pause button.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
So, resident goon living in an apartment building that was sold, back again for another example of the thread title being stunningly accurate.

As best as I can tell, new owner bought the place without a full inspection. Just the city inspector coming in.

In less than three months…

* the leaks in my middle floor apartment ceiling, which we were told were fixed, came back on the first heavy rain we got and now it’s not just limited to my living room—the kitchen is involved as well.

* of the three units in the building, mine’s the only one that’s going to be fully gutted and renovated come the spring. Let’s rent the other floors out first. But hold on…

* now there’s a water leak of some sort that we’re being told is coming from a bathtub that doesn’t even draw water and is presently used to hold a litterbox.

* the proposed solution to that last bit? Have people tear apart the walls for two to three months to find and fix the leak, while leaving the residents unable to use the toilet/shower/laundry/etc and just say “yeah, I got bamboozled. Get out because your lease expires in 45 days, I don’t care if you’re not ready.”

Lesson learned: always get a full and decent inspection, and always assume all parties (including yourself) are completely and utterly stupid for even engaging in the purchase of a house.

So why am I still considering looking into buying a mobile home eventually?! :negative:

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 14, 2021

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Hadlock posted:

My dream is to buy a house like that from someone like your relatives

But also less than an hour from an international airport

This is what I did (dream house, but golf course rather than rural) and I can confirm it loving rules.

Always buy someone's overbuilt dream house if you get the opportunity.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Some of your post is not clear, I'm honestly not even sure if you're renting. You are renting right? What does 'sold back again' mean?

If you are renting, does the city in which you live have tenant protection laws? I live in a major city and it would not be legal for a landlord to take away your access to water, a bathroom, etc. You would at least have no obligation to pay rent for that time, ideally your landlord would be on the hook to pay for a hotel.

As an example my basement laundry was out of service for a while and the property management company offered to pay for a laundry service. When our water was out for a bit, they offered to pay for a hotel. This went beyond what the law said they have to do though.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Inner Light posted:

Some of your post is not clear, I'm honestly not even sure if you're renting. You are renting right? What does 'sold back again' mean?

If you are renting, does the city in which you live have tenant protection laws? I live in a major city and it would not be legal for a landlord to take away your access to water, a bathroom, etc. You would at least have no obligation to pay rent for that time, ideally your landlord would be on the hook to pay for a hotel.

As an example my basement laundry was out of service for a while and the property management company offered to pay for a laundry service. When our water was out for a bit, they offered to pay for a hotel. This went beyond what the law said they have to do though.

Yes. I’m renting and the building my apartment is in was sold for the second time in three years a couple months ago. I just missed a comma between sold and back. Apologies for any confusion, mind is a mess right now.

Thing is, I could see this guy electing to wait it out until November just to avoid paying extra in the third largest city in Pennsylvania. But that’s beyond the scope of this thread and I won’t derail any further; tenant’s rights/lack thereof should be a different thread.

I just wanted to add to the thread that it’s not just always buyers and sellers who are made to suffer from the utter stupidity of this process.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ShadowedFlames posted:

Thing is, I could see this guy electing to wait it out until November just to avoid paying extra in the third largest city in Pennsylvania.

Oh JFC I grew up there. Don't worry about your rental housing, just get the gently caress out and go anywhere else.

That place is just one big crab bucket.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is Wilmington, NC as way the hell away from the rest of civilization as Google maps is making it look like? I drove from Havelock NC military base to Dallas Texas once in another life but haven't been out that way in almost 20 years

Looks like nearest major cities where you could see a real post covid rock concert, orchestra, culture:

Norfolk VA: 4 hr 15 min
Charleston SC: 3 hr 30 min
Fayetteville NC, i.e. I-95, i.e. the edge of civilization, i.e. the east coast silk road 1 hr 50 min

Myrtle Beach sounds like a place I've heard of before and it's about 90 minutes away

And then there's the fact that Wilmington gets hit by a category 1 hurricane literally every year, plus you have to explain to them that it's not Wilmington DE. GE has a huge presence there and they have what looks like a deep water container port, but otherwise I can't tell why this place exists.

Houses are really cheap, coming from California it would be really hard to spend more than 675,000 on a house even if you go the deluxe route with a 5 bed 4 bath 4000 sq ft on one acre. Add $100,000 if you want a private dock on a tidal marsh. And supposedly schools are good

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Is Wilmington, NC as way the hell away from the rest of civilization as Google maps is making it look like?

Yes.

And just cross Fayetnam off your destination list.

One of the best parts of Wilmington (besides the super charming downtown) is the Fort Fisher Ferry which gets you to the outer banks.....with your car.

E: almost forgot the birthplace of Pepsi museum. I'm sure you'd go there again and again. Also, the shooting location of the masterpiece "Maximum Overdrive".

E2: If you want a deep water frontage retirement location that's not particularly close to anything and isn't going to get as slammed by open ocean level storm surge from hurricanes look at Edenton, NC.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 15, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Also Norfolk may or may not exist in 15 years.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:(

Motronic posted:

E2: If you want a deep water frontage retirement location

GE reached out to my wife recently so this would be a job relocation, we'd want to be within 20 minutes of what looks like their campus north of the city + airport

There's a distinct lack of marinas in the area, presumably because of the storm surge etc, which is a major bummer, I guess the coastal boating season is pretty short, and/or you just keep you boat in Florida. Boating season in California is literally year round by comparison. We don't do a whole lot of lake boating

I heard Fayettemam in a YouTube video, didn't realize that was actually a thing, holy poo poo

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Wilmington, NC is not bad and very livable, I know a few people who have worked at the UNC branch there and have loved it

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah dude I grew up in eastern NC and the only place I'd ever even remotely consider living in is Wilmington.

That is however, not exactly a ringing endorsement and should give you an indication of how isolated you will be from anything desirable (aside from that ferry Motronic mentioned)

Raleigh will be your closest access to anything resembling civilization.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I think the only way we'd move there is if we used a tiny fraction of all the ludicrous money we'd save moving from California to get my pilot's license and buy a private plane so we could fly to NY or Miami on the weekends. Or the Bahamas, why stop there. Cities are a lot closer when you can cruise at 180mph+

Seems like an ok boring place to raise babies for a couple of years at least, maybe

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There is a ton of general aviation and small airports around eastern NC, so you wouldn't exactly be an outlier or having to try hard to find services to do that there. I started my PPL while I was living there for many of the same reasons, but also because a lot of my clients were at or near old military bases that still had functioning runways.

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006
I grew up in Wilmington so if you get further in the process and/or have any specific questions feel free to ask. Agree with most of what’s posted above (except the ferry goes to Southport, not the outer banks which are like a 4 hour drive north of Wilmington.). Metro population is about 300k so there is some “culture” and a small theater but more like small college quality productions, Hamilton isn’t going to stop there. GE is one of the only large employers (I think Corning is still there), otherwise it’s not a booming economy. It’s a combination of old southern money and people who went to college at the beach and are working service industry jobs so they don’t have to leave. At least pre covid. It’s also probably the 2nd or 3rd least racist town in NC so it’s got that going for it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BabyJebus posted:

(except the ferry goes to Southport, not the outer banks which are like a 4 hour drive north of Wilmington.)

Oh, I though that was the one that went to Ocracoke. It's been a good 20 years since I was on those ferries.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

GEMorris posted:

Always buy someone's overbuilt dream house if you get the opportunity.

Bought overbuilt dream house, A++ highly recommend. Except for the 2.5x replacement value to purchase price multiplier necessary to not be underinsured.

I love finding the wild custom houses. I really wanted this one but the list price was too high and the owner wouldn't budge when I was looking (he did 6 months later :mad:) The upstairs is peak 80s but listing doesn't even show the best feature: a gigantic open walk out basement with 15' ceilings throughout and the biggest steel beams I've ever seen in a residence, necessary to accommodate that dual bay RV garage on the side. I would have installed the most epic home theater :(

I don't own an RV.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KS posted:

I really wanted this one but the list price was too high and the owner wouldn't budge when I was looking (he did 6 months later :mad:)

$705K...I have cried a little.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Welp, my offer for a condo just got accepted (offered exactly the asking price). Reading this thread I'm both excited and full of dread.

At least I'll avoid landscaping in an apartment building

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Welp, my offer for a condo just got accepted (offered exactly the asking price). Reading this thread I'm both excited and full of dread.

why do people not see the thread title and understand that it applies to the homebuyer as well? We tried to warn you!

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

ShadowedFlames posted:

Yes. I’m renting and the building my apartment is in was sold for the second time in three years a couple months ago. I just missed a comma between sold and back. Apologies for any confusion, mind is a mess right now.

Thing is, I could see this guy electing to wait it out until November just to avoid paying extra in the third largest city in Pennsylvania. But that’s beyond the scope of this thread and I won’t derail any further; tenant’s rights/lack thereof should be a different thread.

I just wanted to add to the thread that it’s not just always buyers and sellers who are made to suffer from the utter stupidity of this process.

If a storm damaged your rental unit and made it unlivable your renters insurance will cover somewhere else to live, and replace your damaged belongings.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Starting to earnestly look in the Boston area.

Pre-approved on Friday, open-house on Saturday, offer on Monday.

We got told we were one of two offers (!) and the sellers wanted best by Tuesday so we resubmitted another 25k (total 50k over asking) and got beat out.

Would have been wild to get it first offer but welp. would have preferred just getting beat out instead of having a glimmer of hope.

Search goes on.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hadlock posted:

Is Wilmington, NC as way the hell away from the rest of civilization as Google maps is making it look like? I drove from Havelock NC military base to Dallas Texas once in another life but haven't been out that way in almost 20 years

Looks like nearest major cities where you could see a real post covid rock concert, orchestra, culture:

Norfolk VA: 4 hr 15 min
Charleston SC: 3 hr 30 min
Fayetteville NC, i.e. I-95, i.e. the edge of civilization, i.e. the east coast silk road 1 hr 50 min

Myrtle Beach sounds like a place I've heard of before and it's about 90 minutes away

And then there's the fact that Wilmington gets hit by a category 1 hurricane literally every year, plus you have to explain to them that it's not Wilmington DE. GE has a huge presence there and they have what looks like a deep water container port, but otherwise I can't tell why this place exists.

Houses are really cheap, coming from California it would be really hard to spend more than 675,000 on a house even if you go the deluxe route with a 5 bed 4 bath 4000 sq ft on one acre. Add $100,000 if you want a private dock on a tidal marsh. And supposedly schools are good
Yes. Fayetteville is an interesting place, but you don't want to live there. You certainly would be bored visiting there. I lived there the previous 3 years and just moved out. It has very little culture. Only one good restaurant. The black community puts on some interesting theater projects, but that's about it for culture.

Raleigh has decent stuff, but that's 2 hours away and a lovely drive. There is nothing between Wilmington and Fayetteville, unless you're interested in Benson Mule Days, where everyone rides their mule into downtown and there's a rodeo and dance.

Wilmington is a port city, as you point out. It's also a beach town and has a pretty big university. It's the easiest beach city to get to in North Carolina.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

why do people not see the thread title and understand that it applies to the homebuyer as well? We tried to warn you!

Yeah but I already knew that about myself, so no harm done

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Motronic posted:

Oh, I though that was the one that went to Ocracoke. It's been a good 20 years since I was on those ferries.

Nah that one is out in Hyde (prononunced: Hoyyyyyyyy'd) County

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GEMorris posted:

Nah that one is out in Hyde (prononunced: Hoyyyyyyyy'd) County
The show "Outer Banks" is taking a lot of liberties with where the ferries go. It could be what got Motronic tripped up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

The show "Outer Banks" is taking a lot of liberties with where the ferries go. It could be what got Motronic tripped up.

TV shows about the outer banks aren't the kind of thing I'd watch. That doesn't even sound like something I've seen a preview for. It's been a couple decades since I was on the ferry system. I recall throwing out a 1998 map/schedule when I was cleaning out the truck I owned when I lived there.

Looking back at the map I was thinking the one from Ocracoke to Cedar Island was actually to Wilmington. Since I lived inland and north of there (Greenville) I had almost no need for that one and went to Swan Quarter or back up to Hatteras depending on what other jobs I had that day.

I put 200,000 miles on various cars doing jobs between Raleigh and the outer banks. I've been a bit of everywhere out there, including some of the strangest little lumber mills and grain transfer stations tucked in the middle of nowhere. And hog/chicken plants. Those are easy to find....go to the town and roll your window down. If the smell is getting worse you're going the right way.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Motronic posted:

Since I lived inland and north of there (Greenville)

Oh god I'm so sorry.

Motronic posted:

went to Swan Quarter

So incredibly sorry.

Motronic posted:

I've been a bit of everywhere out there, including some of the strangest little lumber mills and grain transfer stations tucked in the middle of nowhere. And hog/chicken plants. Those are easy to find....go to the town and roll your window down. If the smell is getting worse you're going the right way.

I grew up right off of 264 right before one would make the decision to head to Bath or Belhaven.

Its certainly a place

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GEMorris posted:

Its certainly a place

I don't know how to make anyone else truly understand what you are saying here, but......yeah. It's quite a place.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Motronic posted:

If the smell is getting worse you're going the right way.

*old timer voice* That’s the smell of money, son.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

, unless you're interested in Benson Mule Days, where everyone rides their mule into downtown and there's a rodeo and dance.

Oh. Oh. This is a real thing, not only is it real but it has it's own website, bensonmuledays.com , and the opening photo seems to imply that there's a mule princess who has to kiss a mule while wearing a tiara

I'm curious if mule princess is such a potential thing that you could be roundly mocked at school about, that it wraps all the way around to being an actual thing of prestige in the community

So many questions

Does north carolina have some baller demolition derbies where they sell outrageously cheap beer, because I haven't been to one of those yet but sounds like something I'd love to attend

Also, while I've wandered way off thread topic figure 8 derby?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVBgD4Y2JQ8

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hadlock posted:

Also, while I've wandered way off thread topic figure 8 derby?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVBgD4Y2JQ8

If you have never been to a figure 8 derby with trailers (or without honestly) I am going to say you have really missed out. They are fun as hell.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What about this one? It's about what the smallest 400 sq ft one bedroom condo in San Francisco costs, 5/5 4200 sq ft with a "community dock" and what looks like a private boat slip on the ICW for $650,000. Needs to be completely repainted, builder grade cabinets and interior details, no boob lights that I could see

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1616-Sound-Watch-Dr-Wilmington-NC-28409/54344667_zpid/

Looks like storm surge in the area regularly gets to 5 feet, but except for the garage the whole house sits 4' above grade and presumably because it was built in 2000 the entire neighborhood's grade sits 5' AMSL to meet wherever local hurricane coastal building code. Not stoked about the garage and all my tools getting soaked in 3' of saltwater on an annual basis, my 230a welder probably can't deal with that more than twice I'd guess

Lot is tiny but it's got curb appeal and a proper porch

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 15, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mr Newsman posted:

Starting to earnestly look in the Boston area.

Pre-approved on Friday, open-house on Saturday, offer on Monday.

We got told we were one of two offers (!) and the sellers wanted best by Tuesday so we resubmitted another 25k (total 50k over asking) and got beat out.

Would have been wild to get it first offer but welp. would have preferred just getting beat out instead of having a glimmer of hope.

Search goes on.

im getting geared up to get loving owned by greater Boston in a couple years, where are you looking?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

lmaooo good luck :wrongcity:

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

im getting geared up to get loving owned by greater Boston in a couple years, where are you looking?

This one was in Arlington and wasn't a goddamn pit. Surprised there were only two offers. Might be that the market is slowing down a bit or could just be I have bad taste.

Trying to stay within 5-10miles of Kendall Square but we will see if that's possible. I want a small yard and a parking spot so pretty much asking for the moon I think.

Edit: north of the city really. Just because trying to go through or around Boston to get up to Maine to visit family adds an hour to the trip.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Never mind, apparently "offer accepted" doesn't mean what it sounds like, at least in NYC. Woo second round of bidding