Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
First live show: WWF House Show in Landover, Maryland, March 1995.

Singles Match
Aldo Montoya defeats Kwang
Singles Match
Henry O. Godwinn defeats Duke Droese
Singles Match
Hakushi defeats Bob Holly
Tag Team Match
Bret Hart & The British Bulldog defeat Jerry Lawler & Owen Hart
WWF World Tag Team Title Match
The Smoking Gunns (Bart Gunn & Billy Gunn) (c) defeat The Heavenly Bodies (Jimmy del Ray & Tom Prichard)
Singles Match
The Undertaker defeats Bam Bam Bigelow by Count Out
Tag Team Match
Diesel & Razor Ramon defeat Jeff Jarrett & Shawn Michaels

I was 14 and the only things I remember are Bam Bam Bigelow saying he was gonna kick Lawrence Taylor’s rear end, and it not being nearly as dark for Taker’s entrance.

I don’t recall the first WWF TV show specifically I watched. I remember my first NWA PPV I saw. Starrcade, Night of the Skywalkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i have a very specific question that does not deserve its own thread: will ospreay's move the "one man spanish fly", any word on why its called that? only thing i can think of is that ospreay is saying he's doing all the "work" on the move, but i dont think even will ospreay is dumb enough to have a signature move with a kayfabe breaking name. i just cant figure out any other implication, and the name doesnt really make sense for a standing spanish fly otherwise.

it just really bothers me whenever kevin kelly says it, ospreay's got a lot of super dumb move names but that takes the cake.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shiksa posted:

i have a very specific question that does not deserve its own thread: will ospreay's move the "one man spanish fly", any word on why its called that? only thing i can think of is that ospreay is saying he's doing all the "work" on the move, but i dont think even will ospreay is dumb enough to have a signature move with a kayfabe breaking name. i just cant figure out any other implication, and the name doesnt really make sense for a standing spanish fly otherwise.

it just really bothers me whenever kevin kelly says it, ospreay's got a lot of super dumb move names but that takes the cake.

The Spanish Fly was originally a double team move done by the SAT.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

MassRafTer posted:

The Spanish Fly was originally a double team move done by the SAT.

drat i did not know that, i just knew the "spanish fly" as a top rope move doing that same thing. thank you MRT, for clarifying one of the things about will ospreay that annoys me so i can concentrate on the other things.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Who was the SAT

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jackie D posted:

Who was the SAT
Amazing Red's cousins and one of those indie names from before it really exploded like Reckless Youth where it's kiiinda hard to find footage from their prime but were super influential to indie wrestling for the decades to come

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The historyofwwe.com has the first card I attended as:

quote:

WWF @ Regina, Saskatchewan - Agridome - September 4, 1988
Bad News Brown vs. DJ Peterson
Curt Hennig vs. Jim Brunzell
One Man Gang vs. the Junkyard Dog
Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart vs. Jacques & Raymond Rougeau
Jake Roberts vs. Rick Rude
Jim Duggan vs. Andre the Giant (lumberjack match)
Also included 2 other matches

I don’t remember the first three matches at all, and I’m sure OMG/JYD didn’t happen. One of the other matches was Blue Blazer vs Brooklyn Brawler. Some older kids at the show told me that Blue Blazer was Owen Hart from Stampede Wrestling so Blazer instantly became my favourite.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jackie D posted:

Who was the SAT

Jose and Joel Maximo the Spanish Announce Team. They were all over early ROH and TNA. Not as influential or good as Amazing Red but they still did a lot of impressive stuff for the time.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
This was my first live show:

WWF @ East Rutherford, NJ - Meadowlands - December 12, 1993 (7,000)
Featured an in-ring promo by Jim Cornette where he insulted the crowd and said Randy Savage's match later in the show vs. Crush would be his last
Owen Hart pinned Bastion Booger at 5:42 with a roll up after Booger missed a splash in the corner
The Headshrinkers defeated Men on a Mission when Samu pinned Mo with a diving headbutt off the top
Rick Martel defeated Virgil at 12:35
Doink the Clown (w/ Dink) pinned Bam Bam Bigelow at 7:28 after Bigelow was distracted by Dink
Randy Savage fought Crush (w/ Mr. Fuji & Jim Cornette) to a double count-out at 16:14
IRS pinned Marty Jannetty at 9:18 with the Write Off clothesline
WWF IC Champion Razor Ramon & the 1-2-3 Kid defeated Johnny Polo (w/ Pierre) & Adam Bomb (w/ Harvey Wippleman) at 10:55 when Razor pinned Bomb with the Razor's Edge after Polo walked out on his partner when Bomb accidentally hit him
Lex Luger pinned Ludvig Borga at 6:42

I also saw this magnificent card:

WWF @ Sayreville, NJ - High School Gym - July 14, 1995
Fundraiser show
Skip defeated Nick Barberry
Jean Pierre Lafitte defeated Aldo Montoya
Adam Bomb defeated Hakushi
Savio Vega defeated King Mabel via disqualification; after the bout, Razor Ramon made the save for Vega
Hunter Hearst Helmsley defeated Doink the Clown
Bam Bam Bigelow defeated King Kong Bundy

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think this is the first one I ever saw-

WWF IC Champion Jeff Jarrett & WWF European Champion Mark Henry defeated Val Venis & D-Lo Brown when Jarrett pinned Venis with a superplex at around 9:45
Hardcore Holly defeated Crash Holly after about 3 minutes
Viscera (sub. for Al Snow) pinned Gangrel with a splash after 3 minutes
Christian & Edge defeated Matt & Jeff Hardy, the Dudley Boyz, and the Acolytes in an elimination match; the Dudleyz & Acolytes fought to a double count-out at 5:00; Edge pinned Jeff Hardy with the spear
Test pinned Steve Blackman with a powerbomb
The Rock defeated WWF World Champion Triple H via disqualification when the Big Show broke the cover at around 6:00
WWF Women's Champion Ivory defeated Tori, Luna, and Jackie after Jackie was hit with the title belt
The Big Bossman defeated Ken Shamrock in a KO match by putting him in a sleeper after attacking him with the nightstick as the referee was knocked out
Kane pinned WWF Tag Team Champion the Big Show at around 6:15; the match was originally Kane/Mankind vs. Show/Undertaker but Mankind didn't show so it turned into a one-on-one bout after the Undertaker and Viscera jumped Kane before the match
X-Pac pinned Billy Gunn at 12:00 after stepping out of the way of the Fameasser

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The only live wrestling I've ever been to is one or both of these shows that the WWF put on in my hometown when I was a little kid. Looking at the cards I'm almost certain that we went to the second one, but we might have gone to see the first one as well. I remember the matches from the Octoboer show (mostly), but I also have a very clear memory of hearing Tatanka's intro yell in the arena and he's not on that card.

WWF House Show 18.10.1992 posted:

Max Moon defeats Barry Horowitz
The Brooklyn Brawler defeats Nick Sherry
El Matador defeats Papa Shango
WWF Intercontinental Title Match: The British Bulldog (c) defeats Shawn Michaels by DQ
The Big Boss Man defeats Kamala
The Beverly Brothers (Beau Beverly & Blake Beverly) defeat The Bushwhackers (Butch & Luke)
Razor Ramon defeats Randy Savage by Count Out

I'm sure I was devastated when the Bushwhackers lost. I loved those guys when I was five.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 12, 2019

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

My first live show was Wrestlemania 18, which was fine

Then I saw a house show in Flint where the lady behind me was extremely horny for Bobby Lashley

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Who are the contenders for MVP of 2019 as of today?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What do you classify as an MVP? For me just in terms of the guys who make every match they have must-see, I'd say Will Ospreay for sure and Johnny Gargano arguably. I haven't had a chance to see any of his matches but apparently Kento Miyahara has been great all year long

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Will Ospreay, Kento Miyahara but next to noone (including myself but i really want to someone hook me up) has seen him, Shingo Takagi, Johnny Gargano, Adam Cole

Who is up for Rookie of the Year or Most Improved? I cant think of much in either camp.

Bianca Belair for most improved maybe? Im sure AEW will open some eyes too to some underutilised talent.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

In terms of business I can see Mox ending up in the discussion because of the buzz he’s created for both AEW and NJPW

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Jerusalem posted:

What do you classify as an MVP? For me just in terms of the guys who make every match they have must-see, I'd say Will Ospreay for sure and Johnny Gargano arguably. I haven't had a chance to see any of his matches but apparently Kento Miyahara has been great all year long

The whole package. Body of work is a key component, but also drawing ability and impact on the business are key components.

Ospreay and Miyahara are great, but neither have had a huge impact on the business.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

RealFoxy posted:

Amazing Red's cousins and one of those indie names from before it really exploded like Reckless Youth where it's kiiinda hard to find footage from their prime but were super influential to indie wrestling for the decades to come

Yeah, they were graduates of Mikey Whipwreck's school in the New York area along with Red, Brian XL, Quiet Storm & Chris Divine, who ended up doing touring series of matches in the early 2000s indy scene.

And if you want to see them, hey, this match from CZW of Red & the SATs vs XL & Divine Storm is on their Youtube and was their breakout match as far as the wider US indie scene goes. It's kind of a time capsule for the era, very much a spotfest but a very well executed one, doesn't outstay its welcome.

Adaptabullshit posted:

Who are the contenders for MVP of 2019 as of today?

Will Ospreay or Kento Miyahara are the early frontrunners. Ospreay just helped do the biggest drawing Best of the Super Juniors final since 1999 and has obviously had arguably the best in ring year, I count 18 **** or higher matches from WON, with 2 ***** or higher. Miyahara has had a great year in ring as well and overseen a steady growth of All Japan business, much of which has been on his back.

If you're excluding them because their impact on the business is relative, I don't know man. Nobody in the WWE is a draw. Okada by default?

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 12, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Adaptabullshit posted:

The whole package. Body of work is a key component, but also drawing ability and impact on the business are key components.

Ospreay and Miyahara are great, but neither have had a huge impact on the business.

I suppose you could make an argument for Cody Rhodes then, as though his wrestling is probably his weakest point he's at the forefront of a pretty major shake-up of pro-wrestling in North America at least. You could probably easily make an argument for the Bucks and Kenny too for the same reasons. The Bucks moreso than any of them perhaps.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Adaptabullshit posted:

Ill say this

For this year and for me last year Will Ospreay has Most Outstanding Wrestler locked up.

Wrestler of the Year for last year was Omega. This year youre right theres nothing really standing out in what you've described. AEW has time.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

forkboy84 posted:

Will Ospreay or Kento Miyahara are the early frontrunners. Ospreay just helped do the biggest drawing Best of the Super Juniors final since 1999 and has obviously had arguably the best in ring year, I count 18 **** or higher matches from WON, with 2 ***** or higher. Miyahara has had a great year in ring as well and overseen a steady growth of All Japan business, much of which has been on his back.

If you're excluding them because their impact on the business is relative, I don't know man. Nobody in the WWE is a draw. Okada by default?

Those two are definitely two top runners just by the body of their work. I absolutely love both of these guys, but I also have to judge them by their surrounding circumstances.

Willy has been working in the midcard, which to be honest, isn't the best position for him. If he has a killer G1/Heavyweight run, he has a better chance at becoming MVP.

Kento will be the Tokyo Sports MVP quite surely, currently no one from NJPW (or any other promotion in Japan) qualifies for that. Unfortunately, AJPW is a bit player in the worldwide scheme of things and Kento still hasn't reached his full recognition that he deserves. The guy needs more appearances outside of his home promotion.

No one from WWE will qualify. Okada hasn't had a special year and fairly sure he won't be making any big moves overall until the next dome.

I personally would have placed PAC as my top contender, but he lost momentum after the Double or Nothing match got cancelled.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

forkboy84 posted:

And if you want to see them, hey, this match from CZW of Red & the SATs vs XL & Divine Storm is on their Youtube and was their breakout match as far as the wider US indie scene goes. It's kind of a time capsule for the era, very much a spotfest but a very well executed one, doesn't outstay its welcome.

I had only seen the botch-filled rematch from Cage of Death III before - this match was loving fantastic and thank you for posting it!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My first live show was Spring Stampede '99. WCW's last great show. You can even see my pale skinny rear end on the home video, if memory serves.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

In terms of business I can see Mox ending up in the discussion because of the buzz he’s created for both AEW and NJPW

Yeah, for me If Moxley has a good G1 showing, and some bangers for AEW it would be hard to see past him. That US title match with Juice was a great start.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
My first event was here in Finland, it was called Culture Shock and the date seems to be 08/30/2003

:

Single Match: Erik Isaksen vs. Gromguten

Single Match: Mike Sanders vs. Sonny Siaki
(During the break Sanders worked me at the merch table and actually got me to buy aWCW invasion t-shirt... that he was wearing.

Tag Team Match: Johnny Merlyn & Easyrider vs. Bjørn Sem & Byron Lawless

NWA World Heavyweight Championship Match; 2 out of 3 Falls: AJ Styles (c) vs. Kid Kash

#1 Contender for the Major League Wrestling World Heavyweight Title; Street Fight: "The Franchise" Shane Douglas vs. Sabu

I also have a question. What was Robbie E and his valets entrance music in TNA during the time he was "feuding" with Jersey Shore. It was something "fist bumb"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I remember going to one of the early ROH shows in Wakefield, I believe the SAT were there and did the Spanish Fly.

At a later show in the Boston Area one of them was down at the barricade and we had ringside seats, so my friend Tim kept trying to give him a dollar. It felt very funny at the time. He just ignored us.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TheCool69 posted:

My first event was here in Finland, it was called Culture Shock and the date seems to be 08/30/2003

:hfive:

Styles made me an instant fan. I had never heard of him before.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The only live wrestling I know I have been to was an AIW show two months ago. I feel like I have missed a deep and rich world.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Styles and Kash in '03 sounds like a really fun time, especially given the amount of time they'd need to go for a 2/3 falls match.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
has anyone ever dropped down from heavyweight to challenge for the jr. heavyweight strap in New Japan?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Low Desert Punk posted:

has anyone ever dropped down from heavyweight to challenge for the jr. heavyweight strap in New Japan?

Liger had a spell as a Heavyweight in the early 2000s before returning to the Jrs.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Is AEW the new #2 promotion in the world or does NJPW still hold that spot?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fatherofmustard posted:

I would say AEW needs to sustain their success over the course of a couple years with some hefty gates before they're #2

They are #2 in the U.S. though

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

fatherofmustard posted:

I think you need more than one 10,000 seat show to top CMLL.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Gaz-L posted:

Styles and Kash in '03 sounds like a really fun time, especially given the amount of time they'd need to go for a 2/3 falls match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjh9libHeVs

It's on youtube with poor audio and bad (finnish) commentary.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I dont remember date of my first show but it was in the Hartford Civic Center and we were right above the entrance (it was just the curtain) so my 8 year old self could reach over and get high fives from wrestlers. The only vivid thing I remember is the Rockers were leaving the ring and one of them high fived me and the other one didn't and I sat down disappointed and a couple seconds later, I heard a "hey, hey!" and looked over and the other Rocker was standing there with his hand out, I slapped it and enjoyed the rest of the show. The Warrior main evented, but no memory of who it was against (timing wise, it may have been against Rick Rude)

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

In the latest Deathmatch episode of The Wrestlers on VICE he visits a Japanese wrestling memorabilia store to get Onitas barbwire bat. Anyone know anything more about this shop?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Beer_Suitcase posted:

In the latest Deathmatch episode of The Wrestlers on VICE he visits a Japanese wrestling memorabilia store to get Onitas barbwire bat. Anyone know anything more about this shop?

Yes, it's called Toudoukan and it rules. It's in a different location than the one in that doc now but it has anything you could ever want. VHS tapes, magazines going back decades, masks, figures, shirts, gear, records, literally everything.

Spent way more money than I should have when I went there during our Wrestle Kingdom trip.

They ship to the states, too, and are so incredibly helpful.

https://www.toudoukan.com/

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fatherofmustard posted:

worldwide its probably #4. we'll have a better idea at the end of the year where it is.

there's a very strong chance that his BOSJ performance and the G1 performance he is going to have this year will lock up Wrestler Of The Year/Most Outstanding for billy brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
My first ever live wrestling show I was 14. I'd been training at this local Indy for like 6 months and they decided it'd be a good idea for me to be the ref for the first 4 matches and then I had my debut in the rumble.

None of it went well.