Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm liking Icarus more and more now that he is actively embracing his horrible back tattoo and playing more to the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

MrBling posted:

I'm liking Icarus more and more now that he is actively embracing his horrible back tattoo and playing more to the crowd.

Icarus is the only heel in wrestling to get over just because he's so goddamn fun to make fun of. It's hard NOT to make fun of Icarus. It's just so much fun.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
He also gets bonus points for calling (one of) his finisher(s) The Blu-Ray because it is better than the Death Valley Driver (DVD).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

MrBling posted:

He also gets bonus points for calling (one of) his finisher(s) The Blu-Ray because it is better than the Death Valley Driver (DVD).

That blew my mind, and I had no idea until Bryce pointed it out on commentary.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flameingblack posted:

Icarus is the only heel in wrestling to get over just because he's so goddamn fun to make fun of. It's hard NOT to make fun of Icarus. It's just so much fun.

Jimmy Rave.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MassRayPer posted:

Jimmy Rave.

Roooooodeerriiicck

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

DannoMack posted:

I don't like those promos. They remind me of people who come in for auditions and play it as "amalgamation of every mentally disturbed television and movie character ever".
I understand why you think that of the one in the rain, but the other one really just seems more like "a construction worker who has had a few beers and is really angry at somebody."

I do not want to make it sound like I am disappointed, though. I have never heard of Eddie Kingston before yesterday, and after watching those four promos, I kind of wish charisma were a requirement for making it to the big leagues, since it is so much more interesting to see him talking than to hear Boring Man du Jour elsewhere.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MrBling posted:

He's so committed to making people hate him that he uses the pedigree.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.
First time I ever saw Eddie Kingston was in a Chikara match. Didn't care much for his wrestling style or his look. I thought he was a guy who just walked in and said "Hey, can I wrestle?"

As my Indie DVD collection grew though, I began to see his promos and I was captivated. My eyes were as focused as my ears. I think what I enjoy the most about his promos is he sounds like somebody you know.

His voice, the weight it carries, the way he talks, the intensity and focus he brings in his tone and mannerisms hooks you in. That's the appeal of Eddie Kingston, it's like one day your best friend just let his emotions get too much of him and he let it all out to you.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Quarex posted:

I understand why you think that of the one in the rain, but the other one really just seems more like "a construction worker who has had a few beers and is really angry at somebody."

I do not want to make it sound like I am disappointed, though. I have never heard of Eddie Kingston before yesterday, and after watching those four promos, I kind of wish charisma were a requirement for making it to the big leagues, since it is so much more interesting to see him talking than to hear Boring Man du Jour elsewhere.

I agree that when you have to hear monotonous WWE promos from guys who look torn out of a GQ catalog, seeing something that's almost polar opposite is appealing. I think that's why people originally fell in love with Daphney.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kingston knows how to tell a story in a promo. That's an increasingly less common trait in promos these days especially since WWE went to the catchphrase thing so much. The Rock is undeniably charismatic as anyone and genuinely "electrifying." He can excite the crowd and get them to sing along with his stuff and send everyone home happy. But in all honesty how often does he tell a story in his promo or is it usually just a hype promo? There's nothing wrong with that and the Rock is surely capable of telling a story, its just not what is asked of wrestlers anymore. Its what Mick Foley and Arn Anderson and other greats were so good at it. You weren't just entertained by a promo but it also advanced stories and built up the match. That's a rare thing in wrestling these days and Kingston knows how to do it better than most.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Kingston has a bit of Harley Race in his promos as well.

An intense man, very calmly telling you that he is going to kill you.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Kingston knows how to tell a story in a promo. That's an increasingly less common trait in promos these days especially since WWE went to the catchphrase thing so much. The Rock is undeniably charismatic as anyone and genuinely "electrifying." He can excite the crowd and get them to sing along with his stuff and send everyone home happy. But in all honesty how often does he tell a story in his promo or is it usually just a hype promo? There's nothing wrong with that and the Rock is surely capable of telling a story, its just not what is asked of wrestlers anymore.

He'll always get credit for this promo...

http://youtu.be/76TX_4qo2Pw

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Why has Paul London not gone back and done shows with Ring of Honor following his release from WWE?

Or done anything with Chikara?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yuriy posted:

Why has Paul London not gone back and done shows with Ring of Honor following his release from WWE?

Or done anything with Chikara?
I'm curious about this as well. Does London have some sort of bad blood with them? Or is he just not interested in traveling far from where he lives currently?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm curious about this as well. Does London have some sort of bad blood with them? Or is he just not interested in traveling far from where he lives currently?

As seen in the picture thread he's now known as "Intrepid Traveler" Paul London. So I can't see that being the case.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Deadpool posted:

As seen in the picture thread he's now known as "Intrepid Traveler" Paul London. So I can't see that being the case.

He's been known as the Intrepid Traveler for a while now, but yeah travel never seem to bee an issue for him. He's living the gimmick I suppose, to the point where he hasn't been booked in his "home" promotion (PWG) all year due to being booked elsewhere.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It probably isn't worth it for them pay the money for a ticket.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
How much do guys generally get paid for doing shoot interviews? I know Flair got a huge amount, but what about your average guy? And what's the attitude to them in the business - has anyone had repercussions (not being hired, getting heat backstage etc) for things they've said in a shoot interview?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

weekly font posted:

Roooooodeerriiicck

Isn't that how Flair got over, too?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Hey, why isn't Matt Striker doing Smackdown or PPVs anymore?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

He's obnoxious.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

DannoMack posted:

Hey, why isn't Matt Striker doing Smackdown or PPVs anymore?

Because he had "A MARK-OUT MOMENT, BRO" during the Rumble this year when Diesel came out, I'm assuming. Also I've heard King and JR aren't fond of him but I don't know either of them personally so I can't say for sure. :shobon:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

eddie kingston is a fat poo poo

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

CM Funk posted:

Because he had "A MARK-OUT MOMENT, BRO" during the Rumble this year when Diesel came out, I'm assuming.

That's too bad. He was often annoying, but I always enjoyed his enthusiasm.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DannoMack posted:

That's too bad. He was often annoying, but I always enjoyed his enthusiasm.

When he left ECW he became completely unbearable.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
How can Chyna go by that name in TNA? I thought after WWE she was using "Chynna" or "China Doll" or something because they owned the trademark.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Bikeage posted:

How can Chyna go by that name in TNA? I thought after WWE she was using "Chynna" or "China Doll" or something because they owned the trademark.

I believe she legally changed her name, a la Warrior. You can't stop someone from using their legal name.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

I believe she legally changed her name, a la Warrior. You can't stop someone from using their legal name.

I was really hoping that wasn't the case. Her legal name is just Chyna. Welp.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
I don't really see how it matters though.

'Hey I'm Joanie."
"Oh man you're so beautiful and your name is elegant. I better play it smart!"

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

CM Funk posted:

Also I've heard King and JR aren't fond of him

I heard it was King and Cole, myself.

Not that it matters, I would take Matt Striker commentary over Booker T commentary any day. When Striker commentated, it felt like he actually cared about every single wrestler in the ring at any given time and wanted to put everyone over.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

TheOneTrueKing posted:

Not that it matters, I would take Matt Striker commentary over Booker T commentary any day.

Aaaaand now a Striker/Booker commentary team is all I want in life. Thanks :mad:

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
I watched wrestling from 96 - 04 or so. And I was too young to really think too far into anything but "dudes kickin the poo poo out of each other, this is fun"

So, what are the opinions of dudes like The Rock, Austin, HHH, Mick Foley, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle and the other superstars of the era, like outside of their success in the promotion? I dont really know what makes a wrestler good at what he does besides for being good on the mic and having exciting matches.

And what is the deal with "The Clique"? I was always a fan of the dudes (especially Hall and Nash) involved in that just from what you see publicly, but I hear they did stuff behind the scenes or something. Was it a good thing or a bad thing.

Pwny_Xpress fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 15, 2011

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
This might be dumb but whatever. A few days ago it was announced that the WWE were going to be taping Raw and Smackdown in Mexico City later this year. Smackdown's always taped but given that Mexico City is in the central time zone what's preventing them from doing a live Raw? Is it a cost thing?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Pwny_Xpress posted:

I watched wrestling from 96 - 04 or so. And I was too young to really think too far into anything but "dudes kickin the poo poo out of each other, this is fun"

So, what are the opinions of dudes like The Rock, Austin, HHH, Mick Foley, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle and the other superstars of the era, like outside of their success in the promotion? I dont really know what makes a wrestler good at what he does besides for being good on the mic and having exciting matches.

And what is the deal with "The Clique"? I was always a fan of the dudes (especially Hall and Nash) involved in that just from what you see publicly, but I hear they did stuff behind the scenes or something. Was it a good thing or a bad thing.

"kliq" was nash hhh hall xpac and hbk and they were pricks and had lots of political leverage and used it excessively.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

The Shaman of Cum posted:

"kliq" was nash hhh hall xpac and hbk and they were pricks and had lots of political leverage and used it excessively.

Is there any specific instances? And what is it that gives them leverage? just being popular?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pwny_Xpress posted:

The Rock: One of the most charismatic wrestlers of all time. Wasn't the best in the ring, but had many good to great matches. Wisely got out at a young age to go to a better, safer career.

Austin: One of the greatest all around wrestlers of all time. Could do it all. Example: When his neck was hanging by a thread after a botched piledriver, he completely changed his style and was still awesome while also changing the WWF main event style completely. Went out on top before WWE could screw up badly with him.

HHH: One of the greatest heels ever. Could go in the ring, and was arguably the best wrestler in the world in 2000. He dated and married Vince McMahon's daughter in the early 2000s and used it to gain tremendous political power. In the process he became an insufferable, power hungry prick that made other performers look bad, and only lost on PPVs. Occasionally. He's now old and broken down, but he can still have a great match when he feels like it.

Mick Foley: Very nice guy, if not very self-absorbed. Kind of goony and creepy. Wore out his welcome years ago with repeated returns to the WWE, each less important than the last. However, his work as a wrestler before he retired is excellent, and is among the most unique stories in wrestling history. He was also one of the best ever at connecting with a crowd.

Undertaker: Up and down career. Until 1997 or so, his matches were generally all terrible. From 97-98 his output was very good, thanks to having matches with guys like Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, and Steve Austin. From 99-02 there's way more bad than good. 2003-05 or so is average, but around 2006 he adopted a new style influenced by MMA and his high profile matches have been VERY good. Will likely be remembered as one of the most famous characters ever.

Kurt Angle: Until 2006, this was a pretty cut and dry story. Angle became a great wrestler at an unprecedented, ridiculous pace. We're talking maybe a year and a half. This is thanks to working mostly with some of the best wrestlers in the world for that time. He was injury prone, and his neck was always considered to be in dangerous shape. There were also continuous rumors that he needed to be heavily medicated to even function.

Then in 2006, he managed to tear his groin in the middle of a match (and I think another injury too). WWE at this point basically told him that he had a drug problem and that he needed to go to rehab. He scoffed, left the company, and went to their "competition," TNA. During this time some details came out about how nutso his childhood and adolescence was, from multiple family members dying to his ridiculous training. He's been in TNA ever since and hasn't really made a dent in the wrestling landscape, but that's a much longer story that's bigger than him.

Basically the guy is nuts, but he's a really good wrestler.

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Is there any specific instances? And what is it that gives them leverage? just being popular?

Basically they knew that in wrestling, what matters is wins and losses. That's what makes you popular with a crowd, and thus makes you more money. So they generally always won, and only lost against each other. Michaels in particular was prone to throwing huge baby tantrums if he didn't get his way.

One of the more notable examples of them throwing their weight around was in 1995. Bam Bam Bigelow agreed to lose to football player Lawrence Taylor, and he was told he would get a big push (i.e. made a main eventer) as a reward. Well, the Kliq got in Vince's ear after Bam Bam won, saying things like "Are you really gonna make a guy that lost to a football player a main eventer?" Thus, Bam Bam never got his chance at the main event, and was gone from the company soon after.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 15, 2011

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Pwny_Xpress posted:

someone else can elaborate on it but it would just be poo poo like not doing jobs. althoguh, and i could be wrong, hbk was much worse in his 97-98 run with hhh than with the kliq. but most of my knowledge comes from dirtsheets and anecdotes so yea

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pwny_Xpress posted:

So, what are the opinions of dudes like The Rock, Austin, HHH, Mick Foley, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle and the other superstars of the era, like outside of the ring. I dont really know what makes a wrestler good at what he does besides for being good on the mic and having exciting matches.

I assume this is general fan opinion?

The Rock is loved by everyone, internet fans or otherwise. His in-ring is considered passable at worst but he has many matches that are now considered classics.

Austin would be almost equally loved except for his domestic violence thing with his ex-wife, which many people seem to forget/don't care about. People were also sick of him for a while because he hung around as "Sheriff of Raw" for a lot of '03 after he retired.

When he was still touring he was famous for literally quitting WWF rather than jobbing to Brock Lesnar on free TV, which other than his match with the Rock at Wrestlemania 19 was effectively the end of his in-ring career. He had serious health problems for most of his WWF career, mainly stemming back from taking a bad piledriver from Owen Hart.

As match quality goes, Austin's injuries limited him, but his 2001 in-ring is generally amazing. He made up for his physical limitations by generally having a great mind for what worked in-ring and what didn't.

Triple H is hated by almost everyone on the internet, mainly for sensible reasons but also many dumb ones. His 2003 run with the title was toxic levels of awful in a low point for on-screen talent in the company. There are several documented incidents of him being a dick to somebody, along with ten times as many that are suspected, with many likely being baseless. His marriage to Stephanie McMahon has only fueled speculation of what kind of stuff he gets away with, since he married into wrestling royalty. Others accuse him of never letting anyone but his friends look good in the ring. I personally find many of these claims dubious at best and have had it out with other posters about it approximately 800 times.

He is hugely popular with most other fans but he's basically de facto retired now. In terms of his backstage personality, he is a locker room leader who values hard work in new talent, old school booking, and became superfriends with Ric Flair. He is an above average worker but is not particularly known for delivering really awesome matches since his first quad injury. His last match at Wrestlemania was probably the first legitimately great match he had in many years.

Mick Foley was beloved by everyone until he hung around a bit too long after retiring and became very stale with fans/started doing stupid angles/wrote a terrible third book. Then he moved to TNA. People still like him but as the internet goes he's generally considered out of touch with the fanbase and unable to hang up the boots even when he should.

He has variously had backstage feuds with Ric Flair and Triple H (to a lesser extent). Ric Flair called him a glorified stunt man in a book and they had backstage words. Things eventually cooled off to the point where they did an underwhelming angle to capitalize on the publicity from that. Mick and Triple H just don't see eye to eye on booking matters and Triple H apparently decided Mick was out of touch before the internet did.

In the ring Mick always had a good mind for how to get the crowd into things. As he aged he moved into a role where he would do the nearest WWE equivalent of death matches with high midcarders with the idea of putting them further on the map. His match with Triple H at the '00 Rumble is credited with making people take Triple H seriously in-ring. Most people today recall Orton/Foley at Backlash '04 as one of the best Orton matches. When Edge was passed over for the main event spot at Mania in 2006, he got to spear Foley through a flaming table instead. That Edge match probably should have been the end of his in-ring career bar none, but instead he turned heel and this is generally the moment that fans, internet and some otherwise, started turning on him.

Kurt Angle is considered something of a ring legend, but he should have retired due to injury around 2003. By 2006 he was a complete physical wreck who was essentially fired from WWE because he wasn't anywhere near healthy enough to be on the road, let alone wrestle, but wouldn't stop. He then moved to TNA, in what at the time was considered a major coup for that company (everyone soon learned that it doesn't matter who's in TNA anymore, it still sucks).

At this point he's visibly lost a step in the ring, his behavior may have actually destroyed his marriage (which was then turned into an angle because TNA is trash), etc. He also frequently makes stupid statements in interviews and threatens to do things like go back into the Olympics, even though the time he was healthy enough to do that, let alone young enough, has passed by him by at least a decade. He is generally known as a guy who has absolutely no Quit button, for better and much worse.

Undertaker isn't really active anymore but when he was still touring he was considered the backstage locker room leader. He was the chief of wrestler's court, a bizarre wrestling justice system designed to hand out punishment if you do something like rack up a huge bill on another wrestler's cell, or spill crumbs on their gym bag (this particular offense got The Miz banned from dressing in the locker room with everyone else for months and he later mentioned it on air when he became WWE champion).

Undertaker is considered hella tough in real life and has wrestled himself to his physical breaking point on multiple occasions as his career started winding down, mainly to put on a show at Wrestlemania, though he also did things like wrestle Batista for the title with a rolled arm muscle. His in-ring reputation really depends on what year you're talking about.

quote:

Hall, Nash, Triple H, X-Pac, and Shawn were all friends and basically became something of a political bloc inside WWF, as most of them were main event level. There has always been a political element to wrestling booking but this probably reached its height in ridiculousness by the mid-to-late '90's, for a variety of reasons. For one, WWF was really short on stars by 1994-1995, and depended on only a few guys to draw crowds/viewers. Also, when WCW exploded in popularity, a wrestler could leverage influence by threatening to go from one company to the other. Thirdly, guys often had rather extensive creative control written into their contracts, especially in WCW. Anyway. . .

You would have to ask someone else about the major misdeeds and misadventures of Shawn Michaels from before his first retirement (short story: he was a well-known jerk). The most famous story is Undertaker having to threaten to kick the poo poo out of Shawn at Wrestlemania 15 if he didn't do the job for Austin. A lot of stuff like that apparently happened.

Nash and Hall only became really infamous for backstage shenanigans when they moved to WCW, where backstage politicking was always a huge disease. This got so bad that many fans generally consider Nash to be one of the major reasons WCW sucked/folded. Many wrestlers who worked with them at the time have since singled them out in books and interviews as unbelievable assholes. Hall is now a very bad drunk/pillhead and has been for many years, while Nash got steady work in TNA and actually re-surfaced recently in the last Royal Rumble, though it doesn't look like anything more will come of that.

So the short answer is that it was a negative influence.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

The Shaman of Cum posted:

Triple H as well but he pretty much just carried their bags. I think Justin Credible was vaguely associated with them too?