Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

If queering doesn't make the world work, how the hell did Orlando Jordan get a 20-minute match out of Warrior?

Booked for 3 but gassed so it went over by 17?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Waltman really did a disservice to his legacy by ever wrestling again after his match with Generico at King of Trios that one year.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Randaconda posted:

He had a good match with Angle, so they thought he was still good, instead of realizing who his opponent was, I believe.

WWe does this alot and they never ever learn from it.

They need to release a dvd, "Megaman Mcgee to whoever, WWE's biggest busts".

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

"Jushin Liger loses the WCW cruiserweight title when Juventud Guerrera hits him with a bottle of tequila" is both Fire Pro random and one of the first internet wrestling fan meltdowns I got to see firsthand.

If only weapons were any good in Fire Pro.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there a name for the early-match schtick where two guys do a lot of quick back-and-forth (like mat wrestling especially) then break and stare each other down and everyone gets real excited over the "okay, I respect you" vibes

Indy wrestling spot?

I feel like it reached peak popularity at the start of RVD Jerry Lynn matches.

We have the winner
vvvv Indy Standoff vvv

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

I do appreciate ECW for the fact that they would try and make everyone over, even if nobody was making money.

ECW got a lot of people paydays in the big 2 who would never have had a shot because of how well they hid those flaws.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

MMA didn't just expose the business, it exposed pretty much every other fighting style but amateur wrestling, BJJ, boxing, and muay thai. A few have made some comebacks, but what they look like in actual fights resembles what they look like in movies or in single style sparring. Old wrestling just was not going to be believable in a post MMA world, no matter what the old grumps want to say. Anyway, it was exposed more than once and it never died, starting in 30s in the States. If anything, the constant kayfabing may have done more to stifle wrestling than anything else because some people look at that and feel insulted by it. I don't hear anybody champing at the bit to go on about how my favorite prime time tv show is fake, or the action movies that are on all the time.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 18, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

I do go after other forms of media but only if they say they are realistic or real in some manner

Someone told me that apart from dragons and such, Game of Thrones is a realistic portrayal of life in the Middle Ages, and I went after that

Yeah that poo poo irritates me too. I'm not going off about Latinized Hercules dealing with Greek named Gods anymore like I was when I was grumpy kid but don't wave grim and gritty comic book poo poo in my face and tell me its good history. But I wont hold it against the show unless the people behind it are trying to put one over one me. Wrestling has a bad habit of being disdainful of it's audience.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 18, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I thought the earlier exposures were in France, but honestly I was just going off the last thing I heard on the matter.

What is all your favorite references to wrestling in the media?

Mine is in " The Music Man" The Mayor says he hadn’t seen Iowans get so excited for something “since the night Frank Gotch and Strangler Lewis lay on the mat for three and a half hours without moving a muscle.”

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He worked Zybysko style to the extreme, so I don't know. He could run and and stall anyhow.

Also, as an old man, he figured out a way to do the Shake Rattle and Roll Swinging neck breaker without having to take a bump, so my guess is no.

Addendum: He was a Memphis guy, so he could probably brawl pretty well.

Addendum 2. Not good matches, but him vs Warrior for the IC title and him versus Savage at SNME were hot as gently caress regardless of how good they were.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 28, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

On wrestling criticism. Critics should be fans. Fans will like different things. Find a critic who likes what you like, and you have a good idea of what to watch if you want to enjoy yourself.

Yes Meltzer has a type of match he's into. It happens to jive with what i'm into. He's a good critic for me to read.

Also that match is amazing. The later Misawa Kawada match on that show is really good, but kinda played out like a playing their hits set and could not compete with that match.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 5, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So here's a question for you. This is not about realism in wrestling, so much as stuff you dont like in wrestling.

What part of wrestling would you change or get rid for the sake of enjoying it more?

I... Don't like back elbows as an escape move from things. The back elbow against an irish whip is fine, but standing to standing they never look anything like they hurt even if they do. RVD got his eye busted open with a back elbow like that once and it still looked like poo poo.

Addendum: Similarly strikes to escape from avalanche moves always look bad too. if there is no room to move around, strikes jut look weak.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 10, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Agreed on the dives, too many people do them and and even the ones who should are doing too many in a match.

Thinking about it, it's a similar thing to mine. There has to be time and room to sell for strikes to look good. Punches in bunches, all the fundamentals of how to actually hurt someone in a fight, generally look bad in wrestling because you are throwing fast enough in sequence that the other wrestler cant react in a way that makes it look good. The best strikers in wrestling make sure to pace their strikes slow enough that there can be a distinct reaction to each individual one. Not necessarily throwing slow strikes, but throwing distinct visible strikes. Exceptions go to Kota Ibushi and a few other guys who can do it wellish.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 10, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Trying to fix what already works is WWE.txt

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Imo very VERY few matches benefit from taking the fight outside the ring, yet so many of them seem to do it. I hate what it does to the pacing and camera work. I'm curious if people actually agree because to hear the crowds, it feels like everyone knows this but the match producers.

I feel really weird, for example that all those Okada/Omega matches got so many stars when leaving the ring just crippled the pace of them, for me.

I do agree with this. I really like New Japan. The take it outside segments of NJPW top of the card matches are the worst part of those matches in general and the wrestlers all have their routine they just kind of rote go through. There are minor exceptions. Jericho has done good stuff out of the ring in New Japan, but, I would likely not feel the same way about it if he had more matches and did his schtick time after time like the rest have done. It needs to be made more rare, and it needs to be novel when it happens. As it is, it feels like dives, when everyone does them, they are no longer special.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Procrastinator posted:

I want to ask the opposite question. What, in your opinion, should never be removed from pro wrestling, if you want to continue to enjoy it?

Convoluted submission holds, lariats and power bombs done from the traditional setup.

I love wrestling and these moves are the top of wrestling for me in the stuff that isnt real, but is awesome.

Zach Sabre Jr. is a cartoon, specifically he is the wrestler that cartoons promised me as a kid, the guy who ties people into knots. That is awesome, and I would miss figure fours and sharpshooters too in the move to a more shoot resembling product.

Powerbombs and lariats, best of the hoss moves, and completely not something you would want to do in a fight if you have other options available, but wrestling is great.

Marvel movies steal liberally from pro wrestling moves in their choreography, and that isn't a mistake, wrestling has some of the best looking stuff.

That said, in addition, one thing I would change as I forgot to mention it the other day is match length, not all the time, but sometimes I like a sprint, and just seeing two guy wreck each other for a minute or two and get pin or submission. Flash KO's and subs are awesome in boxing and MMA and add pins to that list and there is no reason it should be awesome in Wrestling. People get too weird about quick matches.

vv Ah, yeah, also give me back my fireworks goddammit! vv

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 11, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Enzo's highest point in wrestling will always be that commercial implying he's going to have sex with a bucket of KFC.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

ICP probably if you want to count them. The Genius Lanny Poffo for real though.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The first show I was ever at, I dont remember except for looking down an an empty ring and wanting to get in it and wrestle, it was at the Brown County Arena, in Green Bay Wisconsin and I had to be maybe 3 or 4.

The first show I remember seeing was the SNME where Hulk Hogan lost by countout to the Genius Lanny Poffo. I remember crying because Hulk Hogan was always supposed to win. Obviously I had seen Wrestling before, but I dont remember anything before that. So Wrestling has been part of my life longer than i can remember.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If you dont count TNA, then Christopher Daniels, who was so goddamn good and is still so goddamn good, and I am glad he is going to be part of AEW, even if it had to be so late in his career.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was a later convert to NWA and WCW, and while I like their stuff from back then more now, at the time it looked so boring. I remember some family gave me some WCW trading cards, and i think I was looking at a Lex Luger one amidst others and was just thinking, look at all these bland people in trunks, knee pads and boots, where are the cool costumes I am accustomed to seeing in early 90s WWF?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 11, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

RE: No title wins.

Did Gangrel ever win anything?

Only our hearts.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Randaconda posted:

I'm the only person who liked Sting. :negative:

Sting is cool. I always saw him as a guy who worked to the level of his opponents, like Booker T.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

On the matter of moves that should be weaker but are way better than the AA, Goldustin's twisting suplex finish looks awesome. Also I take the side of the Rock Bottom as it looks like he's driving the guy into the mat. That said, I also don't hate the AA. It's not amazing, but it makes for a very fallible finish that gets a good pop on a kickout and when Cena was at his best he was doing some really fun transitions into it. I don't need all finishes to be death finishes and hey, the avalanche version is a pretty drat cool escalation.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 22, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Kurt Angle's Olymic slam is like that too. It's a weak finish, and it looks kinda weak, but he can get you with a few of em, and he can escalate it by going avalanche with it. That said, he does have his you are done finish in the grapevine Ankle lock.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It looked really cool early on, but completely like he just brushed his opponent with the back of his head. Sometime around his first singles run he just started dropping back first on guys really hard and I wanna say that looks a lot better as a finish but it also looks like it probably for real hurts a whole hell of a lot.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

oldpainless posted:

The FU was better than the AA. How is this possible? I don’t know but it’s still true.

Cena looked almost clumsy doing it in his early run, and it kinda looked like a trainwreck. By late career he had gotten a lot more smooth with it, and was able to pull it off in a fluid motion and honestly it looks weaker later on than it did when he was just dumping a guy like a sack of poo poo.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure homegrown WWE just means that most people have no loving clue what they were doing before Vince got his hands on a guy. Vince got to make them in his own image, as he see's it, and nobody who matters knows any better if the guy was good beforehand.

The key is that Vince can take credit. Nothing else matters.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Making wrestling card mix tapes sound like a lot of loving fun actually. Build your own show out of everything you know!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I like the snap piledriver. Drew Galloway used to do it too like this, though I prefer the Akira Hokuto's version as she didn't do the goofy spin beforehand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6obOt9Q9PeE

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

On the matter of great piledrivers, I think it should be said that for all that he may be the greatest wrestler of all time, Ric Flair was at times the worlds worst taker of Piledrivers.

as shown at 15:35 here

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x39dhn0

Edit: Apparently Dailymotion plays poorly with BB code here.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 28, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That Ibushi Tanahashi match is probably my favorite wrestling match in years. Those are all good choices but that one just reminded me of why I’m a wrestling fan.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

How long did Kane get the Sin Cara lighting for? It couldn’t have been long.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Page went from whatever dude to so loving good in NJPW in just a year and I have no idea where that guy went.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I feel like Hollywood Hogan was Hogan at his worst in the ring, He had the same bad offense he always did, but he got to take the offense for longer because he was heel and had to control the match and the other guy had to sell. This just resulted in cowardly heel Hogan looking stronger in the ring than he ever did as a face to the detriment of everyone he worked with who had to sell for his backrakes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It was in response to my negativity on Hogan and I do just want to chime in to agree, it is a great way to put that. Heel Hogan is still the worst though. He made almost everybody look bad in the ring with him.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

that is so bizarre but then again I always thought it was neat/weird to have Junior versions of titles just so people who weren't 6 foot 5 and 250 pounds could still do cool poo poo too. I've only just been getting heavily into NJPW stuff this year i.e. watching those History of Bullet Club vids and seeking out a lot of the classic matches from years back.

Was the AJ Bullet Club era the point where NJPW started getting extremely mainstream or was that gradually happening anyway?

Yeah, it also very much coincided with the start of them doing their first bits of English commentary, and I think also the first year or so of the Axess show.

Popularity was certainly building before that, Prince Devitt Bullet Club was very popular, but I do seriously think the English option helped them a lot, even if there are definitely those who still prefer the Japanese commentary.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Every singles belt in NJPW that isn't the World belt is there as an excuse for their top guys who aren't currently "The Guy" to have singles matches. Seriously, they dont have singles matches as a rule unless its for a reason, and when there are no tournaments going, the belts are what they use as that reason.

I think there were only a handful of non title/Tourney singles matches all year. What is it, C block finals, Mox v Shooter, and Shingo's recent foray into the Heavyweight division?

Every time people talk about dropping titles they are perhaps unknowingly asking NJPW to have less singles matches.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 23, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Balls Mahoney being like man lay off a bit Taker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

God speaking of Jarrett's poo poo kickouts, forums favorite Taichi did one that gave me flashbacks to him the other day.