Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

What really gets me about this is that it was decent but short, then a week or two later on ECW they have a rematch and basically blow it out of the water with absolute insanity and legit one of my favorite matches of that year.
It's just not a modern WrestleMania unless everyone but The Undertaker has a much better version of the same match on B-show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Writer Cath posted:

I'm curious about this one, as it's more of a personal preference thing.

What's your biggest pet peeve in wrestling?

For me, there's nothing I hate more than "I don't want to wrestle you - I wanna fight you!"

It was brought about by the Sting/Hogan promo this week, but that's not the first time I've heard it. I find it irritating because I want to actually watch wrestling and saying you're going to forgo that in order to fight the person trivializes the whole wrestling thing.
Shoulder into the ring post.

It's not terrible but they do it multiple times on every WWE show and it's not useful for story telling like a hot tag or other commonly use spots.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

What's the history of the phrase "SEND FOR THE MAN"?
I don't think there's any history.
Savage slapped Torrie for corpsing and it became a Botchamania staple.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CVagts posted:

Dr. Death was very close last year
I'm not 100% sure how voting works, but I believe it's based on regional voting.
Do Japanese guys really care that much about Dr. Death?

His American work sure isn't Hall of Fame worthy.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Observer summary:

Bret was supposed to make Rocky Maivia tap out on Raw but changed it to Rocky getting a DQ win because the win didn't mean poo poo to Bret and only hurt a guy with great potential.
This pissed off HHH and Shawn.

Nothing beyond that in this issue but it's commonly stated by people who claim to know these things that HHH/Shawn were not fans of The Rock.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

HHH has spent more years doing the weird version of the pedigree than the original where he lands directly on his knees. :smith:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I'm from Canada too and I was a huge HHH mark in 2000 :colbert:

I really wish he wasn't so unbearable now, I'd love to still be a big fan.
I'd love him to turn heel.

I feel like he's spent so many years coasting as a face (usually with DX) even though he's a great heel.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The worst is the catch-22 where HHH really does deserve his push because there are so few stars.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

He had a great match with the Undertaker at Wrestlemania just 6 months ago.

...gently caress, ok, THAT is the last I'll say about HHH.
I have mixed feelings about that match.

The best part of the match was HHH really looking like he could win, but I can't really credit him for the performance when his victory was only plausible because of backstage stuff.

It's not like the rest of the roster lacks the ability to do a convincing near fall but they couldn't pull it off in a Mania match with Undertaker.

I guess the booker gets credit for putting HHH in the match.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I don't think Lagana is really a booker.
The only stuff he ever talks up are his backstage segments and promos.
He's not going to right the ship at TNA.

I forget if he's been on TNA and WWE's case about continuity or if that was just Alvarez but it would be nice having one guy around to bring up the problem of long time viewers not being rewarded for paying attention.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mega GIRL posted:

How long had Lagana been working with ROH? Maybe he learned something while he was there?
A little under 18 months.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lamuella posted:

In her Art Of Wrestling podcast interview many months ago, Sara Del Ray mentions going to a WWE tryout / camp and there being a girl who WWE later signed who didn't know that someone has to be on their back in order to be pinned. Do we have any idea who this was?
Colt himself has told this story.
You can narrow the timeline to women in FCW with Colt from August 2007 to August 2008.

I think Kelly, Tiffany, and the Bellas were the likely suspects.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

The diva didnt need to be called up to the main roster. They could have noticed how bad she was and let her go.
I'm pretty sure Colt said she got to the main roster.

It's not much of a story if some ex-FCW scrub can't work.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

fawker posted:

Wow, I just finished watching this documentary sort thing about Scott Hall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdbA9uHXJ7c&feature=player_embedded!

He was one of my favs as a kid growing up in the early-mid 90's and its heart wrenching to see the effects alcohol and drugs has had on him.

I guess the question is... how come drugs (not JUST steroids but crazy poo poo like cocaine) + alcohol abuse was so ridiculously rampant in the WWF? I would assume that substance abuse would lead to dangerous/sloppy matches that Vince would not be pleased with.
They seem like off day activities mostly. Bret tells stories of Vince going out and partying with the boys in the early 90s.

Meltzer got into this on his podcast.

quote:

Tuesday night after Smackdown was coke night because they knew they wouldn't be tested for 6 days and it gets out of your system in 3. And that was just 2 years ago.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Timby posted:

Talent Relations handles contracts and other human resources matters. The department essentially acts as the go-between for Vince and the wrestlers. So, when someone starts pissing and moaning about money or whatever, it goes through Talent Relations. This is why JR got so burned out on it and eventually resigned from that position -- as much as he loves pro wrestling, the business and administrative side combined with his on-air work just wore him down. (Although, if I recall correctly, the flameout of Dr. Death was used as ammunition by other parties to convince him to step down from his executive role.)
Plus he has to fire guys (except Danielson I guess).

Lance Storm's first meeting with JR was awkwardly getting a handshake after hearing him chewing out and firing Brian Christopher for getting caught with drugs at the Canadian border.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

warbrides posted:

Why did Laurinaitis get a job with WWF after the WCW buyout? Was he good at whatever he did behind the scenes at WCW?
He was their JR.

Lance Storm is pretty much the only wrestler who likes him, but he had a crazy push and great paycheck.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Anyone?
I heard something about it being easier to run the ropes on real ropes at the expensive of top rope moves being harder and having less bounce.

Made sense to me given the WWE style.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

There was a story around 2001 where only top guys (and Big Show) were allowed to be in first class and an ex-WCW ref got a ton of heat for paying to fly first class.

e: Billy Silverman

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 28, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

American Clamdigger posted:

When the hell is Chris Hero going to show up in FCW or back in PWG/ROH?
There's nobody feeding dirtsheets information about how close guys are to signing or arriving in FCW.

We went without updates on Claudio for months and then he changed his name on twitter and it was done.
Vader's kid was signed for a few months before he finally showed up in Florida.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Was Al Wilson a writer or something?

I swear I saw him near the stage at a Smackdown taping in 2004 after he was dead.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Pretty sure he was Torrie's actual father.
Ok.

Well I still saw Bryan Danielson vs. Sean O'Haire.
You can't take that away from me with facts!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I swear Goldust's book got a plug on TV.

Could have been NXT though.

warbrides posted:

Chyna YouShoot worth watching?
Haven't seen it but I want to endorse Perry Saturn's which is full of great stories.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 2, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Pretty sure Matt Classic is the best guy from the 50s still working.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

DannoMack posted:

The TV at the gym was on some WWE Classics show hosted by Mean Gene and Roddy Piper, and it was showing a match between Piper and Bret Hart in WCW for the US Title. The sound was off so I couldn't hear the setup from Mean Gene or the WCW play by play guys, but the finish involved Will Sasso costing Bret Hart the match. Will loving Sasso. The MADTV guy. Can someone explain to me why the hell Will Sasso was involved in WCW?
Bret appeared on the show a few times and there was terrible cross promotion.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

My girlfriend saw me watching Colt Cabunny and now she thinks I'm a furry.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I remember hearing at the time that Nash was on his absolute best behavior at the time and was the very model of professionalism - perhaps because he knew there was a good chance there would be bad feelings towards him from the WWE locker room and that, at the time at least, there really wasn't much in the way of other options for him if he pissed anybody off.
Jericho's book says he was quiet and never caused trouble but Hall was an rear end in a top hat.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Wrestling is ridiculous and fake.
That is why I enjoy it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I started watching at age 12 and always knew it was fake.

Wrestling With Shadows, Wrestling Secrets Revealed, and The Unreal Story of Professional Wrestling pretty much killed any remaining kayfabe shortly after.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

DannoMack posted:

Like when Miz told his chicken and JBL stories and this place went nuts, people here really love promos where guys they hate based on dirtsheet stories get called out for backstage reasons.
The best part of that was JR going on twitter to say something along the lines of "I'm sure Miz was banned from the locker room for eating chicken and not for being an rear end in a top hat."

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

What is the state of TNA lately, ratings-wise? I have not kept up with it outside of watching it for five minutes every month or so, but I was looking at TV by the Numbers' ratings and noticed the IMPACT rating was at 0.6. I don't know what the rating posters use for the 1.1 is exactly, as in demographics, but that caught my eye. Is TNA doing worse these days?
For whatever reason 18-49 doesn't matter and the total rating has always been what was reported for wrestling.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

When did The Rock's ungodly long Hollywood tron debut?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Moose Bigelow posted:

It's 10 years old but he has changed it out. BOW DOWN TO THE BOW DOWN TO THE KING
I'm still sad they didn't make that his theme as COOHHH.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

For what it's worth, Hero being signed is still pending as far as anyone knows.
If WWE had moved on like with Nigel, we would know something rather than nothing.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mayostard posted:

I didn't watch WWE in 2004-2006, did I miss anything great?
One Night Stand 2005 and 2006 were fun shows.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hirams Bitch posted:

The match itself was meh. The end result was one of the worst ever.
Wiki says Cole and Lawler went 13:58 and it still felt much shorter than Vince and Bret going 12:09.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

A lot. Honky Tonk is a huge pussy who's also bitter for no reason, since he had a pretty good career and makes bank on the indies (he's one of the only guys who does).
HTM loves Claudio and helped get him to the US so he's alright with me.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lucyjin posted:

Has there ever been a time when the WWE had a younger and more promising talent pool than it's pushing right now? How did it actually pan out?
I want to say they must have at one point because there's nobody under 30 whose success I would bet on except for Cody and Sin Cara.

But there's a huge cluster of established guys from 30-35.

e: And there's a very talented handful under 30. I just don't trust WWE not to gently caress them over.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 1, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

WeaselWeaz posted:

It existed before HD, but maybe not before the 90s. WWF had a TV belt that the production crew kept to ensure it looked better on TV. WCW, at least towards the end of Nitro since Lance Storm said this, only had one belt and the TV crew kept it at all times (and occasionally forgot to bring it). During house shows they just didn't have belts.
Somehow Sean O'Haire ended up with one of the WCW tag titles after the final Nitro and it was locked in his trunk while his car was in the shop the day he was supposed to be on Raw.

He had to climb over a barbed wire fence to get to his car, cutting his arm a little in the process.

Lance Storm's 2010 RF shoot is full of great stories.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Good Listener posted:

I'd assume it might be because he's working with the Wrestling Revolution project thing, unless that's all been taped by now.
It was taped over 3 days in October and presented no restrictions on anyone's ability to work elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Brian Hebner because of his distracting shoes.