Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Shiki Dan posted:

Let's not also forget that he did this to Davey less than 2 years after Davey SAVED SHAWN'S LIFE in Syracuse.

What's this about Bulldog saving Shawn Michaels' life?

I wanna imagine this was a legit life-saving event, and that it also somehow involved Davey Boy's Bo Derek hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Specifically, he's a Swiss ex-rugby player who loves to yodel and is an old-school wrestler and also used to be in the Special Forces.
oh cool, didn't realise Cesaro has the backstory of a GI Joe action figure from the 80s.

makes sense, SGT. Slaughter was one too.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Being near totally oblivious to everything that happened in WCW ever, what's the deal with Rick Steiner? I know Scott Steiner went from being bemulleted singlet-technical-skills guy to roidmonster extraordinaire, but what happened to his beardy-helmety brother?

was he just not good anymore & didn't get picked up when WWF bought WCW, that's all I can figure from Wikipedia. was he active in WCW while his brother was seemingly a big deal there or did he disappear back then too?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
So in the Picture thread, Quasipox posted this pic of Marc Mero:

and he's wearing a WCW TV Belt, so it reminded me I've always wondered what is the deal with wrestlers keeping belts?
do they have to buy them or if you win it you get to keep a replica, and does a champion tour with their belt in their luggage? or does the company keep hold of it.

I assumed it'd be held by the company but the whole Ric Flair going to WWF with his belt in the early 90s and a few instances of similar happening on other occasions too would suggest they had them in between shows.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
I wasn't following wrestling for quite a few years there but I'm looking at HulkaMatt's post of previous winners in the 2012 voting thread and the follwing really stuck out:

HulkaMatt posted:

History of These Most Prestigious Awards:

Wrestler of the Year

2008: Chris Jericho
2009: CM Punk
2010: The Miz
2011: CM Punk
...The Miz was PSP's 2010 Wrestler of the year? was he not always seen as a hugely overpushed and generally being rather poor? what is the change in attitude towards him now down to?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

a cat youtube posted:

Might be better in a discussion thread, but is there any great sheamus matches?
Check out this great fun match:
Sheamus -v- Mike McGillicutty on Saturday Morning Slam [19th January 2013]:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xww2dy_wwe-saturday-morning-slam-1-19-13-full-show-hq_sport&start=782

[also, it's a comedy match]

I Before E posted:

His matches with Cesaro are also pretty good.
He had a good match against Cesaro on Main Event a few weeks back:
http://www.putlocker.com/file/5F33A0D7753055B6

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
So after the recent discussion in this thread, I was looked up the Nation of Domination and I was reading the wikipedia article but it's fairly badly written and I can't figure out what the original gimmick of the stable was, were they basically the same Black Power style group that followed but with Crush (Shaka Brah) and Savio Vega in it for some reason? also this quote:

"Wikipedia posted:

On the June 16 [1997] edition of Raw is War, Faarooq promised that he would deliver a "Bigger, Badder, Better and Blacker" version of the Nation, after 'firing' Crush, Mason, and Savio Vega, retaining only Brown.
:drat: Was that just a case of them finally going with the gimmick that was obvious beforehand?

Also, can't be discussing the Nation of Domination without this gif:

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Holy poo poo. That HHH/Booker T thing is insane, loving hell.

Also I clicked on a related video to the link that oatgan posted called "Racial Sterotypes in the WWE"
and this bit of Vince McMahon in particular:

http://youtu.be/hJnOvVNaFXM?t=4m56s

and to Booker T again too. oh and then also Sabu...

Also: Kerwin White...?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

abraxas posted:

Reminds me of the Rock/Shamrock match from the '98 Rumble I watched recently. What a stupid finish... :words:
Yeesh, that is mighty stupid, but it reminds me, I was a huge fan of Ken Shamrock back when he was in WWF, and seeing from his wiki page, he appeared in ROH and TNA a couple of times, but

has Shamrock ever popped back up in the WWE again? or is he acknowledged at all? can't think of him being mentioned lately since I've been watching again anyway.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

VogeGandire posted:

I remember this, just because they didn't even bother making them look fan-made. It was just like 20 copies of exactly the same sign, xeroxed.
no way man, I think you'll find that alot of people just think that CM Punk sucks.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Supreme Allah posted:

But now that RVD is back they HAVE to let someone piledrive him just so he can do that selling that goes against the laws of physics.
yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdyeRBkmUGA

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
^beaten.

Nick_326 posted:

I remember reading about a fan asking Bray Wyatt what happened to Husky Harris (or something to that extent) and he gave some cryptic, ominous reply. Does anyone remember what that was? I could've sworn it was posted somewhere on this forum.

Yeah, it was posted here recently, I think around the time they were doing the promos for Bray Wyatt or when he first appeared on Raw, I can't remember which thread it was in though, sorry. I remember the jist of it:

Somebody on the Forums posted:

Fan: Whatever happened to the army tank with a ferrari engine?

Bray: Oh he's still around, it's just that it's my vessel now.

hopefully somebody has the actual quote, I couldn't find it, sorry.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Supreme Allah posted:

Re Barrett - I'm a fan because I like how he talks and works, and I thought it was lovely that he lost a push when he got hurt protecting another worker. He's good in the ring as a technical guy and as a brawler, his style works with pretty much the entire roster. I love him on the mic and in backstage segments. *knocks out Fandango out of nowhere*
Quote from a couple pages back but I wasn't watching at the time and was wondering could somebody fill me in on what happened here?

and that Fandango punch segment was great.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Just to jump back to the Crossface chat:

When Shawn Micheals did the crossface to "reclaim the move from Benoit", how did the commentators react? and did they call it the crossface? since the name would be a direct reference to Benoit anyway?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
On the subject of finishing/signature moves:

Was there any tag-teams where each member used the same finisher? Halloween Jack's comment about the Freebirds made me wonder about it. Did both Matt & Jeff Hardy do the Twist of Fate, or was that one of them more than the other?

I'm wondering if the whole thing of both tag team members having individual finishers is something that's just in my head because of wrestling games where each individual wrestler would have to have a finisher.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Supreme Allah posted:

Brodus Clay isn't on the record (I think) but, come on. He's over but. Come on.
in this interview he seems to dislike the dancing part of it anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZS1lGzR31c
about 1.40 in.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Are you sure he didn't sneeeeeak across our borders?

*finger-walking motion*
:allears:

Is Dutch Mantell actually invovled backstage these days or is he just being Zeb? a bit like Heyman's current TV character only situation?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
I've not seen much of Chikara (but what I have seen is pretty great) but those Ice Cream guys, do they actually wrestle with fake cones sticking out of their masks? are they just floppy material and just look solid from a distance?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Make a thread for non rear end in a top hat wrestling stories. I mean I am sure it will end up being mostly Andre and Owen stories but it might be worth to have them all in one place.
I'd love to see more non-rear end in a top hat/good guy/funny wrestling stories, I was seriously tempted to make a thread for them after Beeboo Crawshanks got brought up earlier in the thread & then sticklefifer regaled us with the tale of Beeboo Crawshanks. and it was amazing.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Esoterrorist posted this in the Carnies... thread:

Esoterrorist posted:

Lisa Moretti said that she was snobby to anyone who wasn't important during her time at WWE. She wasn't completely negative about her though. This was from her KC Timeline of WWE: 2001.

From the same video: She gave a funny story about the first time Triple H judged Wrestler's Court. He took the position that was traditionally Undertaker's and everyone knew it. It's customary to give a gift to the judge, usually a box of beers. She gave him a voucher for a mid-market but still reasonable hotel (he always booked himself into more upmarket hotels.)

Maybe not so much funny as it is a you-had-to-be-there story.
I always figured the whole Wrestler's Court with Undertaker in charge was more of a two guys in the locker room having an argument and then Undertaker is there and says calm down and tries to sort it out. But now I'm imagining Judge Taker withe a little gavel and a makeshift courtroom and everything! it's amazing, and all the other wrestlers have jobs in the Court! Kane is the bailiff! Big Show is the stenographer! sorry... anyway:

Does anyone know what the details are of Wrestler's Court, is it just problems are brought to Undertaker as lockerroom leader and Judge by default or is there more to it than that? and is it just a WWE thing or is it just a standard Wrassling tradition?

...box of beers?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
interestingly enough seemingly all of the most recent batch of women in developmental seem to have surnames like Becky Lynch, Alexa Bliss, Veronica Lane.

so another positive step for women in WWE in the future. though it's still extremely weird that they kept it going for so long. even in reality & kayfabe Ric Flair's daughter is just called Charlotte. though I think they might be going with her trying to do a 'distance herself from her dad so she's not in his shadow' thing there.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

The Japanese wrestling industry was built on American devils trying to beat Rikidozan. It wasn't as over the top as American gimmicks would be, but it was extremely nationalistic.
This is from a couple pages back after a question about foreigners being heels and I was wondering:

How well known was it at the time that Rikidozan was Korean? was it something glossed over or ignored or was it just accepted and nobody cared when it came to him?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
From memory of watching it live and people's mentions of it (Attitude Era podcast talked about it in their Owen Hart special a little while ago) - there's nothing that would need to be edited. you didn't see anything happen or any aftermath. it's just the tone of the rest of the show and JR's updating on the situation.

it's regular matches, then a promo vid before the Blue Blazer match and then when it comes back it's just a camera on JR explaining that there's been an accident, eventually the matches continue again. at some point between matches the camera is back on JR and he says that Owen died. I still remember JR's voice.

they're putting up a show that consists of people working following their colleague's death, and WWE is suggesting this is something that can be watched for entertainment.

I don't think it should be on the Network, it's only there for completeness sake and I don't think anyone would cause any fuss if they just skipped it from their list.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
I thought it was that it was meant to give way partially and Mick would then roll/fall/flop into the ring, instead of just flying open and not breaking the fall in any way.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
I've been back watching wrestling for about a year now after not watching at all really for years and somehow something only dawned on me the other day so I thought I'd ask in this thread:

When did WWE move the ring steps from being in the oposite corners to both being on the same side? (opposite the hard camera)

I always remember them being opposite each other for the corners of tag teams (and the toy WWF ring had them like that) but maybe it's been changed for over a decade and I just didn't spot it.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Steve Lombardi (Brooklyn Brawler) is another Patterson situation, I think, where it's kind of taken for granted that he is, although I don't think he's ever formally, publically come out.
I had heard that years ago including the rumour that he and Patterson were in a relationship and that was why Lombardi has been employed for so long.

But on his Art of Wrestling podcast appearance, Lombardi mentions being married and it sounded like he still is.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Was there anything made of CM Punk getting his big chest tattoo. did he just come out on day with it. or did the commentators mention it or anything. I know Punk varied his look alot but it just seems too noticable not to comment on. but then it's not at all important or surprising for him or anything so maybe not.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

In a podcast I listen to there was a reference to Steve Austin having heat with Jeff Jerrett and refusing to work with him. Anybody know what that was about?
I've seen it said that Jarrett describing "Austin 3:16" as being blasphemous & saying that Austin was making money off the bible went down badly with Stone Cold.

Also Question:

In the SHIELD theme, has it ever been confirmed who is saying Sierra Hotel India Echo Lima Delta at the start? I read that CM Punk says "Hotel" and it does sound like him but is that true or just somebody's guess?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
I Jeff Hardy clean now? & if he is how long for? and does anyone reckon WWE would go for him again? wasn't he outselling Cena in merch at one point?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
From the Discussion thread:

Endless Mike posted:

If Cesaro wins, he could unify the WWE World Heavyweight Championship and the WWE Linear Championship, assuming he doesn't job between now and MITB and ahahaha okay never mind.

What's the deal with the Linear Championship? and how did it get separated from the actual reigning champion?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
thanks for that. that's pretty cool.

Bard Maddox posted:

It's all loving Kofi Kingston's fault.
that's former linear world champion kofi Kingston's fault you mean.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
has there been any on-air explanations for Santino and Del Rio not being on TV anymore?

ADR I can kinda understand, but was Santino's retirement really just a brief announcement at a houseshow and then him gone?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Apparently the whole vibrating briefcase from this past week's Raw was a reference to one of the female wrestlers having a vibrator discovered in her luggage while going through airport security.

really? I figured it was entirely just ripping off that bit from Fight Club, right down to the electric razor line. it being a decade old film would be right in the standard reference point range too.

though on your point, I did read recently that Val Venis got that gimmick because his Valbowski wasn't quite as large as assumed.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

ManOfTheYear posted:

So what is this thing? Why would - or should - I watch it?

There's loads of people here well more capable of giving you good answers to the rest of your questions, but that last one - you would watch it cause it can be extremely entertaining and great fun, here's a tiny little bit that I love in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iDlh1dac-Y

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Liar Lyre posted:

Has anyone countered the Hulk Up spot? Or if it's a more common occurrence than I think it is, what's the best counter?

Definitely not common as trying to stop it just gives Hulk more strength!

but I'm rewatching OSW & Haku stops a hulk up with a rake to the eyes: http://youtu.be/X15BrOWDjF4?t=1h1m20s

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
When Owen Hart died was there any kind of tribute or comment about it on the following night's Nitro? was Bret still competing at the time?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Why isn't Cyndi Lauper in the WWE Hall of Fame???

she's surely the most historically important celebrity there is for the company.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Great White Hope posted:

She doesn't particularly like wrestling or WWE, iirc. I believe she only did what she did for the company because she was good friends with Lou Albano.

ah ok, thanks. well I guess I'll no launch a vast campaign to support her induction then.

[also this apparent new forum update with your own quote being yellow spooked the crap out of me]

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

spongeh posted:

seth rollins was in a whole bunch of these, I had posted one a while back but can't find it again, but this is the one:

http://cyberfights.com/viewproduct.cfm?page=store&pID=CYBER101DVD&CFID=2278049&CFTOKEN=29597276

you can also pay by the minute to watch it if you please.

e;fb. here's the match I saw though http://sethrollins-online.net/videos/displayimage.php?album=30&pid=101#top_display_media

What the hell is this? is this just some elaborate prank to make the wrestlers look kinda dumb? what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think that's the guy training the goon!

Yeah that was him, I can't remember the goon who was getting trained by him but said goon linked a video of Von Schmidt and Justin Credible talking about wrestling training and referenced being trained by guy-with-a-loving-nazi-gimmick.