Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Where is Wade Barrett. I literally cannot watch this stuff without him. Jobbering and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Cromulent posted:

For other inside references on air, look up Kevin Nash doing commentary on Thunder on his last day as booker. He's just blatantly saying stuff like "I don't remember what I booked here." or "When you see a video package of a guy, you know he's going over."

Review a Wai is covering this show this week and I'm looking forward to it quite a lot because I've never actually seen that episode.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Supreme Allah posted:

Where is Wade Barrett. I literally cannot watch this stuff without him. Jobbering and all.

Last I heard he had to go back to England to renew his work visa. His segments in the online content haven't interacted directly with anyone else as far as I know, so he might not be back yet. I'm hoping he'll come back to a push.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Castomira posted:

Were there ever any Jakked/Metal matches that could honestly be said to be three stars or higher? I've been reading through the match results for the various shows and it's remarkable how boring I remember the matches being, even as a grade schooler.

There was a great Taka/Daniels match on Shotgun which was replaced by those shows. Once the changeover happened there was a period of cruiserweight matches that were in that range, I think mainly with London?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Velocity had some good matches with the cruiserweight revival.

Almost all the matches were short. If they gave somebody on Jakked two ad breaks like Main Event they could have had a great match.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Supreme Allah posted:

On the JBL&Cole Show, delivering bad news to people.

*sigh*

BadNewsBarrett

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The 3 matches I remember liking on Jakked were Raven vs Lo' Ki, Mike Awesome vs Albert (I was kinda surprised), and a Dudleys/Kai En Tai match (they wrestled a couple times on Jakked, I think). Keep in mind that pretty much every Jakked match, if not all of them, were under 10 minutes because it was also a recap show, so all of these fall under "pretty good considering how much time was given", rather than "holy poo poo what a match!".

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

MassRafTer posted:

There was a great Taka/Daniels match on Shotgun which was replaced by those shows. Once the changeover happened there was a period of cruiserweight matches that were in that range, I think mainly with London?

Yeah, on Velocity, Paul London and Akio/Yang/Jimmy Wang Yang (it was the Akio gimmick at the time) had a series of matches that were all pretty good.

AmbassadorFriendly fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 15, 2013

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Has John Cena ever hit an Avalanche AA? It seems like he goes for it in every big match but he's probably never actually succeeded.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bard Maddox posted:

Has John Cena ever hit an Avalanche AA? It seems like he goes for it in every big match but he's probably never actually succeeded.

I feel like he hit one in the big RAW rematch with CM Punk. I may be wrong, though.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Bard Maddox posted:

He hit one through a table for the finish of the TLC match vs. Edge.

Hidden Mother
Nov 12, 2012
What was Matt Bloom's gimmick in the Prince Albert/A-Train days? He's one of those wrestlers I remember absolutely nothing about character-wise.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Has there been a wrestler that has gone on record about hating a gimmick that has gotten them over?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Hidden Mother posted:

What was Matt Bloom's gimmick in the Prince Albert/A-Train days? He's one of those wrestlers I remember absolutely nothing about character-wise.

Prince Albert days he was a tattooist i think he may have tattoo'd a wrestler once and once only after a match. And A-Train was just big wrestle guy and nothing else. He used to hit some sweet moves on jobbers when he was on velocity/jakked/metal sometimes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A-Train had a sweet backbreaker where he had them up on his shoulder and jumped up and dropped to his knees and he had a good bicycle kick.

Of course he'll always be most famous for taking the most hosed-up f5 in history.

rappinrodney.ogg
Apr 24, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

Has there been a wrestler that has gone on record about hating a gimmick that has gotten them over?

It only slightly counts, but Steve Austin originally hated the name Steve Austin and was pretty much given that name as an audible to keep him from having the same name as "Dr. Death" Steve Williams.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

The Croc posted:

Prince Albert days he was a tattooist i think he may have tattoo'd a wrestler once and once only after a match. And A-Train was just big wrestle guy and nothing else. He used to hit some sweet moves on jobbers when he was on velocity/jakked/metal sometimes.

For some reason, I think it was also hinted that he was Droz's drug dealer. However, I don't know if this is something I remember as actually happening, or have created as a memory from reading terrible wrestling boards in my youth.

After Droz, I remember him just floating around with no distinct character other than being a big hairy dude with piercings. He was with the Big Bossman, in T&A (probably the biggest thing for him, mostly due to Trish), briefly in the X-Factor (only remembered by me due to the Uncle Kracker theme song), and then was nicknamed The Hip-Hop Hippo while he teamed with Scotty 2 Hotty before disappearing on the B-Shows until he came back as A-Train.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Ghostpilot posted:

Golddust in his book, both as Goldust ("It ruined my marriage!"/"YOU'RE A human being, RHODES!") and in WCW as 7 ("This character's named Seven, by the way...")

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Twin Cinema posted:

For some reason, I think it was also hinted that he was Droz's drug dealer. However, I don't know if this is something I remember as actually happening, or have created as a memory from reading terrible wrestling boards in my youth.

After Droz, I remember him just floating around with no distinct character other than being a big hairy dude with piercings. He was with the Big Bossman, in T&A (probably the biggest thing for him, mostly due to Trish), briefly in the X-Factor (only remembered by me due to the Uncle Kracker theme song), and then was nicknamed The Hip-Hop Hippo while he teamed with Scotty 2 Hotty before disappearing on the B-Shows until he came back as A-Train.

Albert was Droz's tattoo artist. It was Vic Grimes who was hinted as his drug dealer.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Thankfully grimes hosed up some top rope move or something and was released before that story went anywhere. I think he was only around for 2/3 weeks at the most.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Croc posted:

Thankfully grimes hosed up some top rope move or something and was released before that story went anywhere. I think he was only around for 2/3 weeks at the most.

He then went to ECW and blinded New Jack.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

rappinrodney.ogg posted:

It only slightly counts, but Steve Austin originally hated the name Steve Austin and was pretty much given that name as an audible to keep him from having the same name as "Dr. Death" Steve Williams.

Mick Foley hated when WCCW called him Cactus Jack Manson because he felt uncomfortable with the Charles Manson association. I don't know when he went back to just Cactus Jack.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

bobkatt013 posted:

Albert was Droz's tattoo artist. It was Vic Grimes who was hinted as his drug dealer.

Ah, well that explains why I have conflated the two characters, because I have no memory of Vic Grimes being in the WWE, mostly because it was hilariously brief.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ghostpilot posted:

Brodus Clay isn't on the record (I think) but, come on. He's over but. Come on.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Supreme Allah posted:

Wasn't Brodus the one who pitched the idea for the Funkasaurus?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

VogeGandire posted:

I have no idea, he just instantly came to mind as a joke character that got popular.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Ghostpilot posted:

Dunno if it counts since he was already a big star prior to it, but it's pretty evident that Dusty really disliked all the stuff Vince had him do during his WWF run, even though it got him over hugely with the WWF's audience at the time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How's JC feel about Fandango?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

He used one in the finish to his title match with Lashley some years back.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ghostpilot posted:

Would you consider the Red Rooster "over"?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Bard Maddox posted:

II believe he beat Justin Gabriel with one during the Nexus feud on a random Raw. This was when his 450 was the murderdeathkill move of the moment and Gabriel actually got a lot of offense in.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Supreme Allah posted:

in this interview he seems to dislike the dancing part of it anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZS1lGzR31c
about 1.40 in.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

VogeGandire posted:

He pitched Hall of Pain, which got used for Mark Henry. I don't believe he pitched Funkasaurus.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

loving wait. I just checked out the gif thread, and WHEN DID loving GOLD DUST COME BACK? :aaa:

Also Edge is back in the WWE? How long was he retired/out for? I loving miss all this poo poo because I think 'eh, it'll just be more of the same thing'

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Both just came back for a night.

Edge has been retired since right after WrestleMania in 2011.

Goldust came back that night also for the chance to get his brother rehired.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Well that's kind of a shame, I did like Edge when I was a kid.

Also I loving marked out at those .gifs of Goldust. Gotta find that somewhere online, I think.

edit: Did edge and christian ever patch things up?

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 16, 2013

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Bash Ironfist posted:

edit: Did edge and christian ever patch things up?

I'm not sure what you mean here. They never reunited as a tag team (aside from some "one night only" stuff where a GM would force-team them together) and were singles wrestlers ever since the 2001 break-up. Personally, though, they are still friends and when Christian won the WHC at Extreme Rules 2011 it was Edge right there at ring-side with tears in his eyes as his buddy finally got his World Title.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm not sure what you mean here. They never reunited as a tag team (aside from some "one night only" stuff where a GM would force-team them together) and were singles wrestlers ever since the 2001 break-up. Personally, though, they are still friends and when Christian won the WHC at Extreme Rules 2011 it was Edge right there at ring-side with tears in his eyes as his buddy finally got his World Title.

Yeah, thats what I mean. Like I remember there was all that drama with edge's wife or something? I may not be remembering it right.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

In storyline they made up at new years revolution 2005 when Edge tried to get himself replaced in the chamber match by Christian. They had a pretty cool little skit on the show where they sorted out their differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Bash Ironfist posted:

Yeah, thats what I mean. Like I remember there was all that drama with edge's wife or something? I may not be remembering it right.

Are you not mixing up Matt Hardy + Edge & Lita?