Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Before it became totally normal a few years ago, how many WWE World Heavyweight champions never main-evented Wrestlemania? I count Backlund, Diesel, and I think Eddie and RVD.

I was gonna say Foley, then wrestlemania 2000 popped into my google. How about we go through the list and check? I'm just gonna run through the Wikipedia page and check the ones I don't remember.

Let's get the obvious out of the way: Rogers, Sammartino, Koloff, Morales, Stasiak, Graham, Backlund, Shieky-baby, (Inoki???) all were champions before Wrestlemania existed. Backlund was champion again in the 90s, but you were right, he lost it to Diesel at a house show before that Mania. CM Punk never main evented a Wrestlemania, and that's part of why he quit.

Also, the obvious guys that HAVE: Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Andre, Slaughter, Flair, Bret Hart, Yokozuna, Shawn, Undertaker, Austin, Kane, Rocky, Foley, HHH, Big Show, Angle, Lesnar, Benoit (not on the Wikipedia list, but gently caress you he counts), Cena, Edge, Orton, Batista, The Miz, Mysterio(dunno if he'd really count, but gently caress it), and Daniel Bryan have all in-arguably main evented a Wrestlemania. All that's left are the guys where it isn't obvious just by looking at their names on the list.

How about Diesel? No, Diesel wasn't the main event of Wrestlemania XI; that was Laurence Taylor and Bam Bam Bigelow.

Sid? Technically yes, Sid main evented Wrestlemania VIII, but he wasn't champion or in a championship match at the time. Flair co-main evented against Savage, while Sid fought Hogan.

Eddie? No. He won the WHC at Wrestlemania XX, but wasn't the main event. That was Chris Benoit, who beat Shawn Michaels and HHH.

JBL? Yes. He lost the WWE Championship to John Cena at Wrestlemania 21. (I honestly completely had forgotten that this match was at a Wrestlemania.)

RVD? No. I wish. Dude was my favorite back when I was younger. I hardly even knew what weed was.

Jeff Hardy? Nope. TLCs and Money in the Bankses, but no main event.

Sheamus? Nah. He's wrestled Daniel Bryan in two of 'em, though. One match was good, the other was for the United States Championship (I kid, I joke)

Del Rio? He wrestled Edge for the WHC at Wrestlemania XXVII, but they were first on the card, whereas John Cena lost to The Miz in the main event.

Does Rollins count as being in the main event? I guess he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

Sid wasn't technically, his match with Hogan was the biggest match at that Mania, he was promised the match a year prior and they clearly thought it was the biggest deal. Eddy won the belt at No Way Out, not Mania. JBL did not main event WM 21, Batista vs HHH did and was a much, much bigger match. Rey never main evented Mania either.

My bad

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Liam Emsa posted:

It sounds like three words.... not sure

https://twitter.com/WWESheamus/status/586302631070531586

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
I didn't actually start watching wrestling until after Austin had retired, but I heard stories about Austin CONSTANTLY while I was in elementary/middle school. I remember being 10, and playing one of the games on N64. At that point, I didn't know poo poo about wrestling, so I always picked Scotty 2 Hotty because he had a move where he'd hit you in the nuts and the ring bell would sound. Eveyone else would fight over who would be Austin, who would be Rock, and whoever was unlucky enough to not get those two would pick someone else and not actually try until it was their turn to be Stone Cold or Rocky.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Spermgod posted:

He did the first Shooting Star Press in the WWF

And it wasn't a bad one, either.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

checksin posted:

sanada does the paradise lock, the Dumbest Move in Wrestling, and for this reason i love him

It's beautiful.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
Who do you think would count as the "David Flair" of Mexico? Since there are so many luchadors that carry their father's names and so on, I wonder if there's anyone who knows lucha libre enough to say who definitely shouldn't have tried to carry on dad's name.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There was a wrestling video thing I remember watching and enjoying a few years ago. Basically it was some guys from the UK reviewing old wrestling PPV's, I remember it being pretty popular in this forum. What was it called?

OSWReview? Was it Irish guys?

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
David Shoemaker's "Squared Circle" talks about this a little, which is kind of perfect, because he calls himself The Masked Man. Like Halloween Jack said, "The Masked Wrestler" first shows up in writing in the 1860s. According to Shoemaker, "the first time a masked wrestler made waves in America was in 1915, when a multinight international wrestling tournament was disrupted by the appearance of 'the Masked Marvel.'" It's too bad that he doesn't go at length into lucha libre, which is kind of a shame.

Researching past that, as far as I can tell, masks started getting popular in Mexico was with a few possible sources. A spanish-language website, and a non-cited wikipedia thing, say that a Texan wrestler named Cyclone McKey wanted something to cover his identity. Piecing together other sources, it looks like Cyclone was the first masked wrestler to appear in Mexico, but El Santo was the first Mexican wrestler to wear a mask. More proof that El Santo was the greatest luchador of all time.

EDIT: Slight correction, there were also Aztec ritual masks/death masks and such, but the connection between lucha libre masks and aztec history was added after the fact. So there might be people that make that connection now, but that was in no way the intention when they first started getting used.

Qoey fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 15, 2018

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

Given how bad Shoemaker's books are on American wrestling it's for the best he didn't talk about lucha. The details of this period are sketchy but Santo wasn't actually the first Mexican. There was "Masked Wrestler" in 1933 and Murcielago Velasquez was either the first or second depending on who the Masked Wrestler was. The first apuestas mask match was actually held right around the time Santo became Santo.

Ooh, I didn't find out about Velasquez my first time looking. Shows how out of practice my research skills are. I tried looking again and found a thing that said that the Masked Wrestler from 1933 was from Chicago, but it doesn't say his name though. Problem with all of these things is that the sites I'm finding don't cite any sources.

Also, what's so bad about Shoemaker's writing?

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
Well, that's awkward :sweatdrop:

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anyone else feel uncomfortable seeing all the kids of wrestlers getting into the business, Eddy's kid, Benoit's kid, Cody Hall...

I feel kinda bad for people that live on a legacy like that, because most of the time they'll never escape the shadow of their parents. Especially starting out, there's a big chance that the expectations of their parents' legacy will overshadow anything they do. Like, you can live in it, and you can embrace it, but I personally wouldn't want to.

Sure, there are exceptions. Randy Orton has completely eclipsed his father. The Usos and Roman Reigns don't have "Anoa'i family member" as their gimmick. But for every one of those folks, the bank they'll get is mostly from their parents' names. I don't have a negative relationship with my dad, but all the same I don't want the first thing people remember about me to be "oh that's so-and-so's kid."

In the end though, it doesn't truly matter. Wrestling currently seems to be more nostalgia-driven than it used to be. If the kids of wrestlers can carve their niche using nostalgia for their parents as a starting point, great. Let them make money, and I hope to god they don't make the same mistakes their parents did.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

gently caress. He is so lucky to not be fuckin dead.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Why would you mention Hogan vs Warrior? The 1st one's pretty good, the 2nd one is legendarily bad.

Sounds like it averages out.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

ColeM posted:

how painful is it being a wrestler? I am aware of the dark past of wrestling(the present as well) but how bad is it really? Do they consume pills and alcohol purely for the agony they're in, or is it a coping mechanism?

kurt angle was a huge pill popper, Austin was more of a drinker while guys like triple h and the rock were said to be clean as a whistle(ignoring obvious steroid use). Edge seemed pretty clean as well as Christian. They all had one thing in common; they have all worked some of the worst schedules known to man.

I know all wrestlers are different and that's the obvious answer but maybe someone here would chime in with their 2 cents? Like are you literally in agony every waking moment as a wrestler?

I trained as a wrestler and worked on shows for about a year and a half before life/work got in the way of things. I'd train twice a week on top of the semi-irregular shows I did, and that training involved giving and taking moves for a majority of the practice sessions. A metric poo poo ton of the training is dedicated to making sure that moves are as safe as possible. For the first 4 months of training I ached. Bumping can suck, and if you're not tucking your head the right way you absolutely will smack your skull on the canvas. It's insanely easy for a tiny thing to go wrong and gently caress your body up. I still have a nagging pain in my shoulder from taking a move back in November 2016. And I wrestled maybe once a month! I think it is fair to say that the full time wrestlers of all types definitely dedicate a great amount of time to self-care, in order to keep as injury-free as possible. I can only assume that better medical anatomical/medical understandings in the wrestling world have made things better than the pill popping of the 80s/90s/00s, but there are a lot of factors. Lots of wrestling industry people have talked about how unforgiving and painful wrestling rings used to be, and I can say from experience (my home promotion switched from a 20 year old ring to a brand new one while I was training there) that a newer wrestling ring is so much nicer on the body.

All in all, I think it's fair to say that wrestlers today have the potential to have much longer and healthier lives and careers due to the advances of the modern world, but the classics are definitely full of half-immobile people, too. All of the wrestlers that I've personally met who've wrestled during the 80s and early 90s walk and move like they're 20 years older than they actually are.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

FunMerrania posted:

Made great friends, even though it's not much I get paid to travel, nothing like riding for 8 hours with your friends to buttfuck nowhere, wrestle a 10 minute match then stay at a nice hotel and have it all paid for. Despite the pain I'm in the best shape of my life and it's a lot of fun. It's my Ikigai, I don't mind the pain it's just really frustrating and depressing when you get a serious injury and you can't work or wrestle.

Abso-fuckin-lutely. Ikigai is a perfect way to put it, I kinda wish I'd thought of that before. It's so, so different from anything else I've ever done, and it's such an endorphin rush when you get the crowd to react to you

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've started watching OSW Reviews; has anyone ever revealed who the original opening singer was supposed to be, that no showed and got replaced by Okerlund?

I gave a quick look around the internet and didn't see anything. AFAIK it's never been said

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

TriffTshngo posted:

I've always been curious how the flippier guys develop their movesets that involve crazy poo poo like the Sunset Bomb, do they practice it a bunch before using it on a show and risk injury by doing it over and over to try and perfect it or do most of them just know they can pull something like that off and do a minor amount of practice to get a feel for the timing and spacing and everything? The idea of "practicing" some of those moves makes my neck ache just thinking about it, but I imagine the opposite, trying to do it for like your fourth time ever live in a match, is probably worse.

It's the first thing you said. Practice makes perfect, and wrestlers (especially newer guys) need to prove that they can actually do a thing before people will trust them with doing a move. I used to train to be a wrestler, and they wouldn't even let me do a leg drop until I had it looking safe and believable. The school I trained at had a crash pad, but that isn't a guarantee. I can also say with a little bit of confidence that usually a person won't be learning high flying stuff unless they can already do flips and gymnastics beforehand.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

Is Jordannye Grace any good

Awesome power lady wrestler. She put out a funny/depressing book too, of some of the creepy messages she's received over her career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
What's the best Don Muraco match? Is it safe to assume that it's before he was in the WWF?