Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Did they ever reveal who was under the Mr. America mask? I have always thought it was Ric Flair

It was Juan Cena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Miz told the story on a radio show or something. It was when he did the masked thing to get his contract on Raw back. Vince saw his legs and said he was going to be in trunks from then on.

EDIT: This match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VALVaF5R9MI

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tarasenko Tank posted:

Was Shane-O-Mac a good wrestler back in the day when he was taking crazy-rear end bumps?

Not then, but he got so good that he eventually was able to take on Legacy all by himself!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

savinhill posted:

I don't watch much of the indies but from what little I've seen I'm under the impression that Colt is basically a comedy guy. Wouldn't a comedy wrestler having a long title run actually devalue the legitimacy of a world heavyweight championship?

Legitimacy? It was the main Title for TNA for years. And then somehow became less relevant after that. It was already in a lovely place. Putting it on someone popular at least had a few people actually talking about it. It didn't bring any legitimacy but at least it brought some attention. Now it's been auctioned off to some promoter who just wants to stroke his own ego by holding a belt that's long since lost any value it had.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

jeffersonlives posted:

The Rock and Roll Express had the same match for ten years and were one of the hottest things in the country.

That's because they were usually fresh wherever they went and wrestled a style others in those areas didn't.

Though I'll admit to having never liked them. Just never clicked with me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If WWE doesn't want to do Tag Teams then that's fine. There's nothing wrong with not having a tag division if that's what you want to do. I don't think it matters either way really. I like Tag Teams but it's not like they're putting away a thriving division or something. Obviously the want to focus on singles action and I see no problem with that. It's what they've been doing for years. They've been scaling it down for a very long time. Every once in a while they get a bug up their butts to do something with it but it never lasts long. So if that's what you want to do then just go ahead and end the illusion of having a division and titles, If that's your game plan go ahead.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

"Stanfield" posted:

Are there any cases in american wrestling of multiple people carrying on a masked gimmick, like Tiger Mask in Japan?

Max Moon!

Seriously though, not to that extent. The only prominent masked character with any level of success that I can think of that carried on to another guy was The Patriot. Though even that's debatable because Wilkes claimed the gimmick was just stolen.

Suicide in TNA wouldn't count because it's supposed to the same guy even though it's clearly not.

I'm sure someone else will be able to come up with a better answer though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Writer Cath posted:

Winter appears to have drugged/hypnotized/possessed Angelina Love. She is not a mindless, emotionless drone and they do horrific closeups of her face whenever she's on screen.

Winter has the catchiest theme song in the history of music.

Of all the angles in TNA it's by far the worst. So that literally makes it the worst of the worst.

Also, Winter's music sounds like something out of one of those Final Fantasy type games. I think it's horrible but different strokes I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm curious about this as well. Does London have some sort of bad blood with them? Or is he just not interested in traveling far from where he lives currently?

As seen in the picture thread he's now known as "Intrepid Traveler" Paul London. So I can't see that being the case.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DannoMack posted:

That's too bad. He was often annoying, but I always enjoyed his enthusiasm.

When he left ECW he became completely unbearable.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Still funny and will never not be funny.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Perdido posted:

Am I the only person dreading that this video is going to be a massive Russo-inspired SWERVE! and Warrior's return to TV is going to be with TNA?

Dreading, because it would mean that Randy Savage's death was used to further a wrestling angle between two idiotic men who should've long ago been put out to pasture.

I hadn't thought of that possibility. gently caress. That's probably what it is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ColeM posted:

quick question:

Are Orton's, Austin's, and the HBK Vs Bret Hart Rivalry DVDs any good?

Haven't seen Orton's but the other two are amazingly good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Obviously he heard the demos for Savage's rap album and tried to distance himself completely.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

maniacripper posted:

I remember watching that and still not being an undertaker mark. Maybe it's because I knew wrestling was fake and Undertaker was booked as a mid-nineties John Cena.

Mid-Nineties Undertaker was a worse wrestler with much, much, much worse opponents than current day John Cena though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

crankdatbatman posted:

So...Joe Paterno died today, and the Joe Paterno death thread for the most part is the TFF guys talking badly about old Joe Pa, a great football coach who did something morally awful (enabled child rape). This lead me to think about Chris Benoit, since the parallels are there (though Benoit's morally awful event is much more awful).

Questions:

1. What was the atmosphere like around here when Chris Benoit committed his crimes? Was it sort of like the WWE's reaction? Originally mournful but soon shocked, horrified, and quickly estranged?

2. What is general consensus on Benoit today among the wrestling community? Have people moved on and learned to respect his career, or is he still regarded as a psychopath?

I ask mostly because I have seen a lot of posts in PSP complaining about WWE's glossing over of his career in their archives. It seems like there is a lot of complaining about the rewriting of history from an purely wrestling-objective viewpoint, but I'm wondering if time has made fans numb to his final actions.

I'm curious about this because I am wondering if Joe Paterno will be remembered in the same way as Benoit, say, 5 years from now. Unfortunately, the parallels aren't quite perfect, as ESPN and other sports media are quickly deifying Paterno after his death, sort of how Michael Jackson was (although MJ was never convicted or even officially and convincingly tied to morally repulsive behavior, but the parallels can still be drawn). However, goons and others outside of the media are still condemning Paterno, especially in TFF, from what I've seen.

I remember that there was a lot of denial in the hours following it. There were a number of people refusing to believe even when it was pretty evident what had gone down. The news of it being a murder/suicide broke right around the end of Raw that night. And until the actual events were detailed a lot of people were actually hoping that it was Nancy who had been partly responsible and just refusing to accept the obvious. It was not a fun time at all.

Once the facts were finally out people took it different ways. I personally can't really watch any Benoit stuff anymore. And I don't blame WWE one iota for basically erasing him from the books. I suppose those that can still watch his stuff would feel differently, but that's just my personal opinion.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Being a professional wrestler doesn't cut it as an excuse for me. Yeah he took a lot of abuse but there are others that also took abuse. And so far, thank goodness, nobody else has gone out like he did. Benoit is far more culpable for his actions than a number of wrestling fans are willing to admit I think. I have no doubt that the abuse he took played some part, but there was something deeper wrong with him that didn't result from being a wrestler. In fact maybe that was the catalyst for him being so rough and putting himself through a lot of abuse that, let's face it, he didn't really have to endure.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

KildarX posted:

Why didn't the following Gimmick ever work out?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyjLbH33kR8

edit: Phantasio's gimmick.

That guy wrestled forever in Memphis as The Spellbinder. He was the definition of mediocre. There was nothing about that left any kind of impression.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

The main event and semi main event storylines were really good, the undercard was mostly bad. Most people pay the most attention to the top of the card.

This is pretty much true of the entirety of the WWF/WCW war, especially from 1997 on. WWF always had a far superior main event and upper midcard with a pretty terrible lower card. WCW always had a great lower card with pretty consistently lovely main events. Every once in a while there would be some deviation from that, but it held true for the most part.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

flashy_mcflash posted:

^^ There's a ton of this stuff on the aptly-named Memphis Heat DVD.

Wrestling was serious business here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LordPants posted:

Paul consulted for WWF for a small salary, and at the very end when they were going under they lent ECW some money because they felt bad about screwing them out of TV or something.

They didn't actually (despite stories to the contrary) give them any serious money until the end, which was of course so they'd be on the books as a creditor.

Yet somehow this has turned into "Vince was bankrolling ECW!" when most people tend to bring it up. I have no idea how that's happened. I'm guessing lovely copy paste sites.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Every story I've heard about Teddy Hart drives home the point that he's an rear end in a top hat that doesn't care about the safety of himself or others when in the ring. I think I also heard that he's been banned from competing in a lot of different places because of his attitude and the fact the he does crazy poo poo that could get people seriously hurt.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

Ok now I may have to go back and look because I remember being fascinated by this too. Vince is at his weirdest when he's a normal dude.

Pretty sure it was an interview with Bryan and Court Bauer and he said something like that. Though I could be wrong. Bauer was one of the few writers I actually enjoyed. I believe he talked about Vince going to the movies frequently.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 18, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Found it!

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/...ted-scripts-miz

Court Bauer tells the story about Vince going to see movies once a week. And he talks about Vince seeing Pirates of the Caribbean and telling the writers to study up on Pirates. Same interview about his road racing with Court Bauer. I love crazy Vince stories.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's really impossible to convey how much terribleness was caused by Vince Russo with words. You really have to have lived through it and watched to fully understand.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't WWF do a show at the Georgia Dome around 98/99 that did 40,000+ and the show opened with Vince McMahon standing in the ring with the biggest :haw: look on his face that anybody had ever seen?

Yup!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WildCat Willie (WCW, see?). He was... a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrPwXyWK7_Y

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dead Snoopy posted:

Odd question but would anyone make a case for Charles Wright to be a potential HOF'er? Consider...

The man competed as Papa Shango, Kama, Kama Mustafa, The Godfather, and The Goodfather (when he joined Right to Censor).Even with his admitted limited skill set, he was given the USWA Unified World Heavyweight Championship twice. During his time in the USWA, he would also tour in New Japan Pro Wrestling in 1990. He was known to wrestlers as a genuine tough guy & competed in the WWF Brawl for All; which was a strictly voluntary boxing/shoot fighting competition.He got over and he gained a run with the WWF Intercontinental Championship in April 1999.Teaming with Buchanan, the duo won the World Tag Team Championship one time before the stable disbanded as the Invasion storyline began.

As The Godfather,various "Hos", including Bobcat(who won the Hardcore Championship as a Ho),Victoria,Ivory, and Lita,were introduced in front of live crowds and television audiances for the first time w/ him.

He's no Koko B. Ware.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Raven is awesome. :colbert:

Not really.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo. I used to have that exact WOW issue. I liked WOW because it was one of the only wrestling mags that covered multiple promotions and was in full color with glossy pages. I was easy to please as a teen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It was FMG. From day one he would always argue with anyone that said Punk was going to have any success in the WWE. When Punk won MITB he adamant that he would be the first to lose. I still remember his posting when Punk cashed in. I believe that's when he got the laughing Punk avatar with that text under it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

I guess dog shows don't count as hiatus?

Missing one or even two weeks at a time doesn't count as a hiatus.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yes. AFAIK there's literally never been a week straight up without Raw.

There's been several. Due to Tennis or Dog Shows. They eventually started running them on another night during the week but they didn't do that for a few years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

nasboat posted:

yeah, the yearly appearance of the Westminster Dog Show was basically my least favorite week as a kid.

US Open was worse. It was usually two weeks with no Raw and it was usually right after Summerslam.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Frot Lesnar posted:

Westminster is in February coming off the Royal Rumble during the lead up to Wrestlemania.

Westminster wasn't the night after Royal Rumble though. Night after the PPV with no show is worse.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Frot Lesnar posted:

Vince left USA for TNN because they could not guarantee that he would not be preempted. Being on for 2-3 weeks then interrupted for a week screws up the narrative worse than having a ppv, off two weeks/on a different night.

I still say US Open is worse. You had no go home show or post PPV show. From a fan and business perspective that had to be worse.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lone Rogue posted:

I guess you learn something new every day (or hear something new):

When did Bret ever use the Wolf Head?

Yeah, he used to use it all the time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

KildarX posted:

Buff "The Stuff" Bagwell was the coolest guy in Wolfpac. :colbert:

Buff Bagwell isn't the coolest guy in any team. Yes, even American Males.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Orgophlax posted:

I don't remember that at all. I remember him saying yes when asked directly about it on Twitter. Twice.

Punk saying yes to stupid questions on Twitter is kind of something he regularly does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TL posted:

How many times has Lawler's Memphis promotion died? I know he's been running a territory there pretty much continuously forever, but isn't he running like the 9th or 10th version of it by this point?

A number of the later iterations weren't run by Lawler. Mostly by Randy Hales, Terry Golden, and Corey Maclin. It's gone through several names over the years like CWA (Continental Wrestling Association), USWA (United States Wrestling Association), PPW (Power Pro Wrestling), MCW (Memphis Championship Wrestling), and simply Memphis Wrestling. The ones that Lawler was most involved with were CWA and USWA. Those also were the best iterations. Lawler's been active somewhat in all of them, but those two are the ones where he was the focus and really ran the show at times. Later CWA and all of USWA is what I grew up watching, it was my first exposure to wrestling. The later promotions had their moments but USWA was really the end of Memphis Wrestling as far as I'm concerned. I've been to more USWA studio and live Monday night shows at the Coliseum than is probably healthy, but I loved every minute of it and got to meet a ton of really awesome wrestlers over the years. Most before they ever broke big.

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 31, 2012