Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't really follow wrestling anymore but I know enough to find Botchamania hilarious.

They show a lot of stuff from CZW. It looks like the stupidest most dangerous poo poo I've ever seen. How dangerous is wrestling in thumbtacks, barbed wire, etc? Is it still popular in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

rappinrodney.ogg posted:

It only slightly counts, but Steve Austin originally hated the name Steve Austin and was pretty much given that name as an audible to keep him from having the same name as "Dr. Death" Steve Williams.

Mick Foley hated when WCCW called him Cactus Jack Manson because he felt uncomfortable with the Charles Manson association. I don't know when he went back to just Cactus Jack.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm not sure if she's burned a bridge with the Universal Studios brass per se, but Universal has given the former Impact Zone space to another tenant/attraction so TNA taking it back is not an option for the foreseeable future. I haven't heard anything to suggest that TNA left Universal on bad terms or anything, just that the former space isn't vacant since Universal, as anyone would do, found someone else to use it.

It was the soundstage where they filmed Guts on Nickelodeon and later WCW.

Rumor has it Vince now wants to build a WWE restaurant/museum thing in Universal in the spot of an old NBA restaurant they want to close down, since all WWE stuff is on NBC/Universal stations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

a backstage concern (piledrivers are too dangerous dude).

Undertaker and Kane are the only guys allowed to do them in the WWE right?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

dsriggs posted:

In the center:

Good god it's like when he knocked Blaster's mask off in Beyond Thunderdome.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Where can I read more about the drama of the Monday Night Wars? That's what I grew up on and I want to learn more about it since my understanding is basically the Wikipedia article.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Gavok posted:

The book Death of WCW is also a good read in that respect. It focuses on the WCW side of the way, natch, but also goes into the WWF stuff that affected them.

Aha, this is exactly what I'm looking for. And it's 9 bucks on my Kindle too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I was watching the Shawn Michaels v Undertaker Hell in a Cell match and Shawn gets pissed at and takes out a big beefy "cameraman" in the cage which leads them to unlock it so they can do really stupid spots like piledrivers onto concrete. Was that anyone?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 24, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

magnum_valentino posted:

It really seems like they go out of their way not to get a good shot of his face on camera. I dunno, were there a lot of black guys on the roster in late '97?

I don't know the 97 roster too well. The guy was huge though. Pre-Sexual Chocolate Mark Henry? I don't know.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

THE GAYEST APPAREL posted:

They're saying "Muppets". The whole song is about Miz.

Miz? It's about Puppet H. Everything is about Triple H.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Are there any 'forgotten' gimmick match types? Stuff that sounded like a good idea at the time, but afterwards, everyone else who watched agreed that they are never doing that again.

The monster truck sumo match? :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I vaguely remember reading something years ago about an exploding glass cage death match?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Also if you want a bad pay-per-view, watch Heroes of Wrestling.

Heroes of Wrestling isn't so much a bad PPV as it's just sad, even if Jake the Snake has cleaned up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

WeaponX posted:

Oh god no it's bad. Real bad. Meltzer has called the Bushwhackers/Volkoff and Sheik tag the worst match of all time and Alvarez gave it "minus more stars than there are stars in the universe, and the universe is infinite"

That PPV has a plethora of bad matches with over the hill wrestlers and some of the worst commentary you'll ever hear.

I mean it's bad, awful, horrible, but when I try to watch it I just feel sad for the workers that are on it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

natetimm posted:

Can anyone remember a Dean Malenko promo? I can't seem to remember any.

I found this which is evidence that he should never be within 500 feet of a microphone but Arn saves it.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 1, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Speaking of Dean Malenko, there's a disturbance or something about 5 minutes into the big Malenko vs Guerrero ECW Hostile City Showdown match that has the whole arena with their heads turned while a THROW HIM OUT chant starts. Malenko and Guerrero go into a holding pattern during it. What happened?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 1, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

AkumaHokoru posted:

Usually at ECW crowds when a fan was being the kind of shithead that no one likes about wrestling IE someone who would yell boring during a technical match, the crowd would deal with it. the better security was the less likely that person lost teeth.

Okay yeah, I think there's a couple times during the match where they're in a long submission hold and you can hear someone yell THIS MATCH SUCKS and get told to shut the gently caress up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Jericho in WCW was full of comedy gold too. Hell, just the "Conspiracy Victim" angle was hilarious.

Or the list of his 1,004 moves, half of which are armbars. Followed by the list of wrestlers he's defeated such as Kevin Nash, Diesel, Oz, Scott Hall, Razor Ramon...

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 4, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Justin Godscock posted:

I always thought the reason for the roof of the Cell giving away was because it was built like poo poo. You can see the zipties holding the chain-link panels to the frame and a couple give away when Taker and Foley step onto a corner of a panel.

Unless we're talking about a different kind of "rigging".

I read that it was rigged with the zip ties for visual effect but there's a million different stories from every party involved so who knows.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I know Jericho didn't like blading and preferred blood capsules, did anyone else?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What's the story behind Bagwell/Steiner at Slamboree '99 where Scott Steiner beats the poo poo out of Bagwell?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Well once upon a time Scott Steiner is a dangerous lunatic. Whether there was another more specific cause I don't know but that was the main influence.

I read something about it being Bagwell cutting a promo about him on Nitro and Steiner's steroid-addled brain taking it seriously so I'll just settle with "Scott Steiner is a dangerous lunatic."

e: And in the process of googling I came across this 1999 Angelfire Scott Steiner fan site with up-to-the minute updates on Scott Steiner!

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 7, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What was actually on Mean Gene's WCW hotline? I was watching a really old Simpsons where Lisa rings up a $300 phone bill calling a hotline out of the back of Non-Threatening Boys magazine that's just a teenager reading the newspaper really slowly.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 9, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

And thats why you can't have 1-900 hotlines anymore. I read about a kids' TV show on some UHF station that would ask the kids to put the phone up to the TV speaker while it played DTMF tones to call their 1-900 number. And apparently Hulk Hogan's hotline was the most called number in 1991.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The way I heard it was the worker was booked for a few shows, Vince gave him his home number and said if he ever needed him to call him. When he called asking if he was to be booked again, Vince said no and don't call me ever again.

E: yeah, Fake Razor Ramon.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Flair doesn't work when he's cartoony because his personality is already so strong that you buy that he's Cokelord Bonerhitler IRL. He always fit in better in the southern style.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I know Vince wanted to get the belt from Bret to Nash as fast as possible to set up PPVs but I don't know the underlying political stuff if there was any at the time. It wasn't just a house show, it was an MSG show which was still a big deal even if it wasn't on TV.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

I imagine fake punching is much easier on an aging body (that ages harder than most) than chokeslamming dudes, at any rate.

I had to go look up how old Flair was at Wrestlemania 24 and Jesus he was 59 years old getting tossed all over the ring by Shawn Michaels.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jim Cornette's trigger words

• Russo
  • Michaels

What else?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

I just noticed that The Shield's theme is pretty much a reworked WWE Tazz theme. Is that the first time a theme has been given to an unrelated (non-legacy) act?

Goldberg's WCW theme was off some public domain music library CD and some other WCW guys had it before he debuted.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What are the best ECW PPVs I can watch on the network?

What are the worst WCW PPVs I can watch on the network?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oatgan posted:

Uncensored 95 is horrible, Souled Out 97 is one of the worst shows of all time, and Great American Bash 2000/Bash at the Beach 2000/New Blood Rising is probably the worst stretch of PPV's in history

Boring worst or Russo worst? I demand only quality awfulness.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oatgan posted:

Vince Russo is the central figure on the heel side of things on all three of those latter shows. You'll see things like Judy Bagwell On A Pole, Vince Russo cutting a shoot promo on Hulk Hogan, a HUMAN TORCH match where Sting is set on fire and falls off the turnertron, a GRAVEYARD MATCH where the kiss demon wanders around in the dark getting ambushed by Vampiro, a tables match where the commentary desk spends the entire time arguing about the rules, the Hulk Hogan vs. Kidman feud, a teenaged Reid Flair beating up Vince Russo and MUCH MUCH MORE

It's five minutes into Great American Bash 2000 and Chavo Guerrero already pulled a "grenade" out of his pants with Tony Schiavone yelling WHAT IS THAT? WHAT IS THAT? so I'm just going to watch all three of them this week.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Was that when he was talking about how winning the thing built Bart Gunn up and then he got buried by getting killed by Butterbean thus making the whole event a pointless exercise?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What about the poop bucket?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What was the deal with Rey's WCW unmasking and having to get permission from a legit organization in Mexico to re-mask?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Thauros posted:

It amazes me that WWE had the foresight to realize that remarking him was the best move considering Vince's dislike of masks.

He looks like a babby with no mask on.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Didn't a flaming towel get flung into the crowd during one of the Cactus Jack/Terry Funk matches?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Is it true that Randy Savage introduced Shane McMahon to coke or is that like the Stephanie rumor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

When Taker or Big E pull the straps on their singlet down before doing a power move, what's that supposed to do according to wrestling logic?