Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
I had a friend who had a Maine Coon with a bad attitude. The cat's name was Zappa, and he was definitely a one-person cat. Going over to visit almost always meant you'd be leaving with a wound on your hand, your arm, your face, or your back.

Zappa would put up with pets for a little bit-- on HIS terms-- and when he was done with pets, he'd go all rear end in a top hat and either attack you, or start stalking around waiting for his chance to ambush you. And if he decided it was time for a stare-down contest, win or lose, you were gonna bleed. His owner used to do this thing where he'd flip him off from across the room, and Zappa would charge like a bull at him. I'm surprised the guy didn't end up murdered in his sleep from that cat.

Edit: I'll never forget the sensation of sitting there watching a movie, knowing that at any moment Zappa would come lunging out of nowhere and viciously attack your arm or your legs. If you knew to expect it, it was just "one of those things", but if you weren't prepared for that level of cat, it was terrifying.

woodch fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

SynthOrange posted:

Also got back from my sydney work trip. Looks like Pudding ate too much, barfed up but then ate that up later. gross.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I learned that in the wild, some cats (big cats and small cats) will gorge themselves and go barf somewhere to "save" food for later.

I wish I could convince Sam that he doesn't live in the wild and doesn't need to do this.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Kwyndig posted:

I switched my cats over to easier to digest food and that stopped almost entirely.

I've tried various foods over the years, and apparently it's Just A Thing(tm) with him. And it's not that the food is hard or easy to digest, he just gulps it down without chewing.

Speaking seriously, I'm sure it's competitive eating since he only seems to do it if he happens to be in kitchen when Nigel is eating. He'll see that and immediately butt Nigel out of the way and start gulping down food, even though there's plenty of food still in his bowl. It's also, not ALL the time, but it does seem to come in waves where he'll go weeks without doing it, then 3 or 4 days in a row I'll come home to an un-chewed barf turd.

I've tried brushing him regularly (to reduce hairballs), all sorts of wet and dry foods, both cheap and hoity-toity, and simply separating them at meal time and making them stick to a feeding schedule. It all just seems to boil down to "is cat".

Also, not complaining. I'm a cat-haver. This is my life.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Josh Lyman posted:

my roommate moved out so Leo and CJ have been extra attention starved

maybe not

That's an "I have been victorious" look if I ever saw one.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

wargames posted:

Yo tuna I'm realy happy for you and I am going to let you finish but I GOT A NEW CAT. Also that's a 1200 page book, SAMSON IS HUGE.

Yer gonna need a non-ironic "Beware of Cat" sign.

He looks awesome!

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

CherryCola posted:

sully isn't on board quite yet

:holymoley:
Dat poof-tail!

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Don't you worry about those venetian blind strings? :ohdear:

First thing I do with venetian blinds is trim the cord as short as it'll go, and when I pull them open like that, I put the cord somewhere WAY out of reach of curious cats.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Everybody Needs A Little K A T

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

CherryCola posted:

feline orson welles???

F for Floof.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Sweet As Sin posted:

Someone's mad I didn't give her garlic chicken

Sam goes bananas for garlic when he smells me cooking with it. A quick google turned up that garlic is actually toxic to cats, so I have to tell him "no" every time. :(

It's too bad, cuz he gets all rolley-polley and cute kitty-like about it. It's like he smells catnip.

Course, he does the same thing with bleach when I wash my underwear (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yILWzZXSpA), so he might just be weird.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Ciaphas posted:

I so want a second catte, Hope is so bored when i'm nothome and I can't pay attention to her all the time even when I am

But apt complex wants $300 (three hundred) non refundable plus an extra $25/mo for another furball and good fecking god I cannot afford that

The question should be, how can you afford NOT to get a second cat?

For real, though, a lot of landlords have this ingrained aversion to cats because CAT PEE NEVER GOES AWAY, MY GOD, WE'LL HAVE TO BURN THE WHOLE BUILDING DOWN WHEN YOU MOVE OUT!

As a side note, once you find a good landlord, just never ever move.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

minivanmegafun posted:

I found a good landlord but then I had to leave wisconsin because there are no jobs there

then I found a good landlord in Chicago but I left because I bought a house

now I can get all the cats I want :getin:

You became your own landlord. That's the ultimate endgame.

Edit: Also, highfive, Northern Illinois Cat Goon.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

mad.radhu posted:

this page is loving amazing

here have a big cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKJkKnaImic

headphones ON

Lots of awesome cats happening lately, but this is not getting enough love. Lookit that big BIG lovable fuzzball. I would so take a nap with that beast purring and snoring next to me. :3:

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
Cross-postin:

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
:catstare:
:yosbutt:

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My codependent cat will try to block me when he knows I'm getting in the shower, and then constantly pull the door open and try to swipe at me while I'm in there

When Sam was younger, he'd poke his head into the shower, look at me, and cry out as if to say, "What are you doing!?! Yer gettin all wet! Don't you realize that's water coming down on you!?!"

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Goober Peas posted:

I have a Maudith-alike that comes by for a visit periodically and she gives me the slow blink out of one eye while getting pets. I've never seen a catte only blink one eye.

According to several "cat behavior" things I've seen, that's the cat equivalent of a friendly kiss :3:

Kitty likes you!

Pro-tip: You can wink back to show the feeling is mutual. :3: :3:

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

World's sleepiest magician...

"Nothing in my left hand... yaaaaaaaawn... Nothing in my... right hand... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Josh Lyman posted:

CJ woke me up with nose kisses then demanded to be let under the covers. so I took an unflattering photo of her.

... if by "unflattering" you mean "adorable", then I think you succeeded.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Eerily similar...

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Hi Fred! This is Sam.

He looks peeved cuz I interrupted his bath.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Radio! posted:

awhile ago catface woke me up in the middle of the night just because she wanted me to watch her eat her leftover dinner

Reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvozaSYIz18

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
This cat is wearing a magda mask.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
I got one of those cheap, spring-loaded cat tree things a few weeks ago and finally put it up. I know Sam likes it, but Nigel is suspicious as always.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbjyGmj_r74
It hasn't shown any signs of coming crashing down, even with Sam's big ol' 12.5 pound butt jumpin all over it. Makes a racket tho.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

https://gifsound.com/?gifv=QMSrg33&v=I33u_EHLI3w&s=10

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
ZZ Topcat

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Poor Leeland... :( Don't worry, little buddy. It's for your own good.

Give him extra love.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Trig Discipline posted:

here's franklin loving his squid on top of a plate of catnip because that's how he do

Laughed really hard at this. :v:

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Ever vigilant for the sudden appearance of babbies.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
In this scene, Sam keeps an eye on a fat rabbit outside his staring window.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dtDcWcuveI

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Daef Bowie

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Tendai posted:

I love when cats get so pleased that they just flop around like that :3:

I had that x2 a little while ago... It was claw trimming time, and Nigel's reward for not flippin' out was an extended round of pets, which had him wriggling and head-butting like a nut. Sam got the same reward, but he just did air biscuits and slowly wriggled his way in a complete circle in my arms.

No pics or video :(

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Never skip cat day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
I swear I thought that was a baby sea lion before I scrolled further down.