Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!
Todd doing cocaine at someone should be animated.

Super-edit: Of course this will look odd at the top of the page. Context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

pseudosavior posted:

I love the concept of Juche.

If you're failing at something, it's because you either don't want it enough, or didn't try hard enough.

That's also 'The Secret' and Scientology.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

:siren: New strip! :siren:

It seems Todd is not the only one getting sick of Kim Jong-il's poo poo.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Waah! New strip and assetbar seems to be down, preventing me from seeing it on either page.

This is the worst thing that could possibly happen!

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I... have no complaints with this strip.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember those little subscription cards, small enough to hide in your pocket like a tiny nude secret.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

did ray just gently caress a monkey

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

Javid posted:

did ray just gently caress a monkey

Yeah, man, what gives!

(It truly, truly galls me to quote my own material, but this succulent fruit truly hung low in the full moon and early hours of tomorrow. I apologize.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy God it's like being a kid and seeing Spider-Man show up on Batman's tv show.... and then they gently caress!

This was a wonderful surprise!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Tony Millionaire!

What an amazing guest appearance! I love seeing other people draw Roast Beef.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm not familiar with Tony Millionaire's work, but it reminds me of underground comic artists from the '70s and '80s like Gary Panter and Bill Griffith.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Maakies is the poo poo and this is so many different kinds of awesome.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I'm not familiar with Tony Millionaire's work, but it reminds me of underground comic artists from the '70s and '80s like Gary Panter and Bill Griffith.

Do yourself a favor. This mashup is the best thing.

Rock Strongo
Dec 24, 2004

"It's said he killed a dragon once...but not this time"
Maakies is awesome, I hope this turns a bunch of people onto it.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
He's also one of the folks behind The Drinky Crow show on Adult Swim, if it weren't obvious.

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?
I guess I just don't "get" Tony Millionaire. Maybe I just need to read more but after reading one of his comics I always think "oh, that was sort of funny I guess."

It's definitely well drawn though, that's for sure. I'm open to having my opinion changed but I currently don't see what the fuss is about.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Muffin Loaf posted:

I guess I just don't "get" Tony Millionaire. Maybe I just need to read more but after reading one of his comics I always think "oh, that was sort of funny I guess."

It's definitely well drawn though, that's for sure. I'm open to having my opinion changed but I currently don't see what the fuss is about.

On the wide scale of "daily"-type comics in general, Maakies and Achewood are much closer together than you give them credit for. The fact Tony Millionaire can produce a page that fits in line with both the style of Maakies and Achewood at the same time speaks to that. If you "don't see what the fuss is about", give it a little more review than a single strip.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Grilldos posted:

On the wide scale of "daily"-type comics in general, Maakies and Achewood are much closer together than you give them credit for. The fact Tony Millionaire can produce a page that fits in line with both the style of Maakies and Achewood at the same time speaks to that. If you "don't see what the fuss is about", give it a little more review than a single strip.

I dunno I clicked through several of the Maakies strips and I still hate pretty much everything about it.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
So I guess within the Achewood thread such generalized, opinionated statements against Achewood is uncalled for and deserving of guile, but against anything else it's fair game.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Grilldos posted:

So I guess within the Achewood thread such generalized, opinionated statements against Achewood is uncalled for and deserving of guile, but against anything else it's fair game.

Yeah, it turns out it's ok to make generalized, opinionated statements about things. Making them about Achewood is fine too, it's just weird to do it here (if they're negative) since this is the "we like Achewood" thread, especially if you go on and on about it. I certainly wouldn't pop into a Maakies thread and say "I hate everything about Maakies". I don't plan on saying it again here either unless someone cares to know why I don't like Maakies (probably not).

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Next time my wife and I are getting ready to gently caress, I am going to holler out 'BEND OVER, BABY!! WE ARE GOING TO MAKE IT STINK!!!' and will report back on the result.

This may involve someone posting my obituary. Onstad, if I get murdered by my wife for this, will you send my kid a free cookbook?

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?

Grilldos posted:

I can see why you misunderstood my wording, but I've read more than one. I meant "after reading a strip" not "after reading just this one strip."

Regarding your point about them being more similar than I think, I don't see what you're getting at. My opinion of Maakies is independent of my opinion of Achewood. I just don't think Maakies is funny. It's something about the writing, it seems stilted and lifeless. But anyway, this isn't a thread about Maakies and I'll be quiet.

King Nothing posted:

Yeah, it turns out it's ok to make generalized, opinionated statements about things.

this is very true

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Chris Onstad posted:

Yeah, man, what gives!

(It truly, truly galls me to quote my own material, but this succulent fruit truly hung low in the full moon and early hours of tomorrow. I apologize.)

Dude, no need to apologize when the quotin' is done with such masterful skill.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
Something happened to me the other day that didn't seem so strange at the time, but after time to reflect, it sounds a bit odd.

On Sunday my fiancee and I were walking down the street to go watch football and drink some beers. I was wearing my "Man why you even got to do a thing" shirt as I often do.

There was a girl with a pink mohawk meditating on the retaining wall of a slanted garden in front of her house. There were a couple of cops getting into their cars after what was presumably a domestic call of some sort.

We made it about 5 steps past the meditating girl before she yelled out, "Achewood!" I stopped dead in my tracks to introduce myself and give her a high five.

This is Achewood. In Real Life.

Rock Strongo
Dec 24, 2004

"It's said he killed a dragon once...but not this time"
Tony Millionaire just posted an early sketch of his strip and a little background on the maakies site. Ray looked a lot more feral.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

Fillerbunny posted:

We made it about 5 steps past the meditating girl before she yelled out, "Achewood!" I stopped dead in my tracks to introduce myself and give her a high five.

I do not joke with you when I say that stories like that really are the things that make me happiest about Achewood. Thanks for the anecdote.

Was...she pretty hot?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chris Onstad posted:

I do not joke with you when I say that stories like that really are the things that make me happiest about Achewood. Thanks for the anecdote.

Was...she pretty hot?

Man, the only Achewood T-shirt story I have involves the "I'm the guy who Sucks" shirt.

I proved the theory that you cannot meet women while wearing it. I had worn it out to a bar as a joke, and a European exchange student came over and asked me, "are you gay?"

"Uh, no -- excuse me?"
"Are you gay?"
"No, why?"
She said, "Your shirt says you're a guy who sucks. I thought you were advertising."

So then the guy she was with and I explained the slang version of sucks, and how I didn't want to suck any dicks. The best explanation I could give was "no fun to be around."

tldr: "I'm the guy who sucks" comic came true.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Achewood anecdote. I met a girl at a conference and she had a small tattoo of Phillipe and Ultra Peanut holding hands. It was the cutest tattoo I have seen to date. She told me that it is not often recognized.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Chris Onstad posted:

Was...she pretty hot?

Glad to brighten your day.

I kind of hate to admit it, but as I am somewhat of an ex-punker, yeah she was pretty hot.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fillerbunny posted:

Glad to brighten your day.

I kind of hate to admit it, but as I am somewhat of an ex-punker, yeah she was pretty hot.

Hell yeah, punk girls are the loving best

onomatopizza
Dec 12, 2004

A word that sounds like pizza.

Only in the sense that they are not at all.

Edit: Upon reflection, personal experience suggests that sometimes they are the best at sitting at places, liking punk music, and sometimes sexual favors, but 1 out of 3 isn't a majority vote.

onomatopizza fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 4, 2009

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I have yet to get laid from wearing an Achewood t-shirt, but people often get a laugh from reading my "the dude has got no mercy" shirt.

It could be a coincidence but I do feel much tougher when wearing it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I have yet to get laid from wearing an Achewood t-shirt, but people often get a laugh from reading my "the dude has got no mercy" shirt.

It could be a coincidence but I do feel much tougher when wearing it

They probably think it's a Big Lebowski joke

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
Bead Shop

This is me every time I have to go into a Michael's or Jo-Ann's Fabrics. Also every time I read this I have to Google who Wallace Shawn is. It's like a second punchline, or third if you count alt text.

Jack Bandit fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 4, 2009

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that it was Wallace Shawn, because he's both the most unlikely man to be buried in cleavage AND the most likely man to be giggling madly while buried in cleavage.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

They're the best at getting drunk and loving your brains out, but ask anything more than that and you're asking for trouble.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
In the past week I've gotten both the first Bloom County compilation (1980-1982) and Achewood: Volume 2.

I love having solid, well-printed collections of comics that will hold up well for the remainder of my life.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fillerbunny posted:

They're the best at getting drunk and loving your brains out, but ask anything more than that and you're asking for trouble.

They're also good for showing up at a party with a pint of homemade fake blood and fireworks to light off in your basement.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Jack Bandit posted:

Bead Shop

This is me every time I have to go into a Michael's or Jo-Ann's Fabrics. Also every time I read this I have to Google who Wallace Shawn is. It's like a second punchline, or third if you count alt text.

I've been inside a bead shop. It really is that :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wandering Knitter posted:

I've been inside a bead shop. It really is that :geno:

The silence of those places really is disconcerting, it's like entering an ancient tomb or an unpopular museum.