Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zereth posted:

Specifically it's Palo Alto. I lived there at the time and in his advice column Ray once mentioned a specific bar I recognized.

Pretty sure the town has gotten gentrified to gently caress since then though, which is impressive considering where it was starting from.
I think at this point Lyle and Teodor would be renting out an above-ground crypt in Colma and commuting to their lovely restaurant job/unemployment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Nessus posted:

I think at this point Lyle and Teodor would be renting out an above-ground crypt in Colma and commuting to their lovely restaurant job/unemployment

Am I the only one who can see Lyle being creeped out by the idea of being in a crypt, much to the surprise of those around him?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nessus posted:

They might move into Ray's mansion without telling him.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Zereth posted:

Followed by 6 months of Teodor stressing they'll be found out

Then they get found out and Ray throws a welcome party

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

I live in your poolshed now, hi.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

:hmmyes: Exactly.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I feel like Ray would probably be cool with helping Teodor out but I'm not convinced he wouldn't eject Lyle.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Wanderer posted:

I don't know if it's still there, or remember its name, but there was a Mexican party restaurant in St. Joseph, Missouri in the 2000s that was absolutely the sort of place that would've tried to give you a Fiesta Name. All-Caucasian spins on Mexican-American cuisine, where their opening gambit was to stun you with a half-gallon frozen margarita so you don't notice the nachos are mid.

was it one of those Irish/Mexican places like Carlos O'Kelly's or Juan O'Shea's

those are mostly gone now but they seemed to exist as the spearhead of mainstreaming mexican food in the 1960s/70s

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pope Guilty posted:

I feel like Ray would probably be cool with helping Teodor out but I'm not convinced he wouldn't eject Lyle.

He probably wouldn't want Lyle living in the mansion proper(cause Hygiene is a Maybe at best with him) but would probably use helping out a friend as an excuse to add another building to his estate to house one of his quirky rich people interests(I could see Ray being one of those people who wants a period accurate place from their childhood recreated for them to goof around in whenever they want, like a video store or arcade or something)

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I just want to say that I miss Achewood very, very much. If Patreon existed when Onstad was doing the strip things might've worked out financially. I'm sure he's content to just leave it in the past, and it probably reminds him of his Darker Times, which is too bad for us, the audience. But he doesn't owe the audience anything (cookbook 2 joke goes here) as an artist, I get that, but I do feel a little sad that it's almost certainly over.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I wouldn't be too surprised if he revisits Achewood someday but even just getting trickles of merchandise is nice

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

He probably wouldn't want Lyle living in the mansion proper(cause Hygiene is a Maybe at best with him) but would probably use helping out a friend as an excuse to add another building to his estate to house one of his quirky rich people interests(I could see Ray being one of those people who wants a period accurate place from their childhood recreated for them to goof around in whenever they want, like a video store or arcade or something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gG56SCs5-E

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Lyle and Ray formed a joint company together and you’re gonna tell me Ray wouldn’t let him crash in lil neffs old room??

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pretty much, except in Ray's case he'd have like an entire late 80's to early 90's shopping center in a garage

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Lyle and Ray formed a joint company together and you’re gonna tell me Ray wouldn’t let him crash in lil neffs old room??

I mean he saw what Lyle did to Sani-Taco, that kind of thing changes how you perceive a man as a potential roommate

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Man things ain't never the same once you seen a dude's stew.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Zereth posted:

You could get a pretty good story arc out of Ray's abrupt realization that, due to his consistent ability to forget his house has a west wing, he's ended up running a boarding house for the working poor of Achewood County for the better part of the last 12 years.

Peanut Butler posted:

was it one of those Irish/Mexican places like Carlos O'Kelly's or Juan O'Shea's

Carlos O'Kelly's sounds really familiar, but a Google search turned up a place called La Mesa which matches my memory of the interior design.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wanderer posted:

You could get a pretty good story arc out of Ray's abrupt realization that, due to his consistent ability to forget his house has a west wing, he's ended up running a boarding house for the working poor of Achewood County for the better part of the last 12 years.

He finds out when he's handed an award for his community service. Cut to panels of him doing a mix of :aaa: and :haw: as various newspaper articles and mainstream current affairs shows run editorials about how he is what's right about this country, dammit. The President calls his mother to congratulate her on such a good job. Renewed interest in his music as a result of the good publicity sees him make another 6 billion dollars.

Dunny
Jul 11, 2022

On that secret Taco Bell menu since small times

(Thanks for the Achewood collection, dude)

more falafel please posted:

oh poo poo where is this pdf. I've been in a "reread and do a deep dive" mode on a bunch of poo poo recently, especially with achewood because of Brain Tape devoting 40 minutes to each solitary strip.

And yeah, there's a lot to say about Achewood's handling of women in general, which is a story that'd be hard to tell without a deep analysis of Online in the 2000s and how it interacted with gender (badly, is the answer to that). But also Ray made an entire book of ways to hide that you noticed your Lady doing a : ( and that's very funny

oh poo poo sorry missed this. You want this:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1o67BcrIKLU15-hejy0amKly1YeXOWiP3?usp=share_link

There's stuff in there you ain't seen before guaranteed.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Happy Hippo posted:

I just want to say that I miss Achewood very, very much. If Patreon existed when Onstad was doing the strip things might've worked out financially. I'm sure he's content to just leave it in the past, and it probably reminds him of his Darker Times, which is too bad for us, the audience. But he doesn't owe the audience anything (cookbook 2 joke goes here) as an artist, I get that, but I do feel a little sad that it's almost certainly over.

Yeah, I don't think the finances are what made him stop for good. I just wish he would get the Complete Canon out there, but I'm pretty sure the holdup with that is more that Oni Press is a raging tire fire that a hobo took a dump in the last year

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

drrockso20 posted:

I wouldn't be too surprised if he revisits Achewood someday but even just getting trickles of merchandise is nice

i'd rather he just start something new

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

There was the soda syrup company, that was new.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ray could probably be very easy to convince to fund charitable causes as long as he doesn't have to deal with the boring or annoying parts of that sort of thing

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I got my cookbooks today. I also ordered a shirt but I forgot about that weird thing you have to do on the achewood store where you "select" a "size" so does anyone want a men's small achewood shirt. i got "dong-razzled" and now my money is "away from me"

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm still sad about the collection never being published. I want to pay money for this.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

onstad pretty clearly lost the voice for a bunch of the characters, i really dont want another revival that just further dilutes what is the only good webcomic.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I wouldn’t mind a capper that’s like under 10 strips. Much-later endings are usually interesting even if they aren’t good, what’s been kicking around in a creator’s head for years isn’t always what you’d expect

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Angry_Ed posted:

This reminded me that I might want to buy a 1938 Enos Slaughter rookie card and hey!!! no such thing exists!!!!! the cartoon about cats LIED to me

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

drrockso20 posted:

I can see Lyle being a garden hermit.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Philippe posted:

Achewood: the Next Generation, where Lyle has been clean for a while and takes up the Mr. Bear "senior voice of reason" role in a new household of young fuckup alive stuffed animals

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

more falafel please posted:

I got my cookbooks today. I also ordered a shirt but I forgot about that weird thing you have to do on the achewood store where you "select" a "size" so does anyone want a men's small achewood shirt. i got "dong-razzled" and now my money is "away from me"

My money's in my wallet, by the way.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Philippe posted:

That would be a fun arc

Antivehicular posted:

Achewood: the Next Generation, where Lyle has been clean for a while and takes up the Mr. Bear "senior voice of reason" role in a new household of young fuckup alive stuffed animals

I want this so hard it hurts

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

kinda get the feeling cornelius bear never picked the lice out of his breakfast wine or used his good bowl for a man douche

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

kinda get the feeling cornelius bear never picked the lice out of his breakfast wine or used his good bowl for a man douche

Sober Lyle could easily achieve everything Cornelius can, but Cornelius could never reach the heights of Lyle's hedonism

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Peanut Butler posted:

Sober Lyle could easily achieve everything Cornelius can, but Cornelius could never reach the heights of Lyle's hedonism

Something tells me Cornelius exceeded those heights decades ago and hearing about those exploits would only instill in Lyle an existential crisis, wondering what the point of his life even is if he has to live up to that.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

puking on footballs was a high society activity in the mid 50s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ManiacClown posted:

Something tells me Cornelius exceeded those heights decades ago and hearing about those exploits would only instill in Lyle an existential crisis, wondering what the point of his life even is if he has to live up to that.

I mean, we know that Cornelius spent some time playing in an experimental band in his youth, one that did controversial things like play in 15/23rd time and shower together.

And that then after college he spent some time in the southern Californian desert, eating plants “that your parents despise and (realizing) that you are fantastic”.

And he soundly beat Lyle in the Badass Games, be it in the kitchen or passing muster with Miami and Magnus Intactus—but that might be more of an innate style thing than explicit proof of experience

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
it is canon that cornelius is a dude who fucks, even in his elder years

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Connie is low key the Rawest Dogg in the gang

edit; its not even low key since he, as pointed out a few posts ago, easily won the badass games

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I can't remember - did Cornelius have any interactions with Ray's dad?