Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
https://twitter.com/culturepulp/status/266649750827311104

This made me irrationally happy, probably because the referenced comic is probably in my top 3 Achewoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Are you referring to the comments on this article?

More and more it seems like if I want to live in any semblance of culture in this country, I have to move to Portland.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I still think that the Nice Pete story about him and Rachel Ray is one of the most brilliant things I've ever read.

EDIT:

Makes me wonder why Onstad doesn't just write a damned Achewood book. Lets face it: His art has never been the greatest, aside from some few aesthetically brilliant moments mostly contained in Cartilage Head arcs.

What we want mostly are the ridiculous situations and the insane dialogue between Beef and Ray.

We already know how everyone looks and how they'll most likely be positioned, so just write a danged book Onstad. DANG.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 22, 2012

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
"You are about to enter a world where the only activity that exists is tasting my hog" has been chestnut idle threat in my circles for a long long time.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
First thought in my head: "that thing is so hell of wispy a spider covets", probably the most ridiculous and hilarious usage of English words ever.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, I don't think so much.

Ray and Beef chat is practically a form of art.

Then there's his portrayal of Philippe, which is just amazing, the Friday Facts stuff is great.

I feel like any attempt by someone else would be some dumb Adult Swim monkey cheese stuff on the worst level.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I've started a re-read from scratch, just because I haven't done it in years.

I forgot how many weird/funny gags are in the first dozen or so strips.

Lie-Bot excitedly waking up Mr. Bear to see Flava Flav and his blinking tooth for instance.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Atmus posted:

The wife that I . . . BONED?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Speaking of that actual comic, that I just read today in my first re-read in years; the cats are so awkward when they're introduced. You can tell Onstad kinda wanted to make them throwaways, but then Ray just keeps showing up and having funny things happen, and then of course, Roastbeef's golden tongue starts spewing classic line after classic line.

Also I totally forgot about this comic:

I remember showing it to a friend of mine years and years ago and she said it almost made her cry, I kinda get it now :smith:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

We've had sun in Portland for the last few days.

Perhaps he can finally bite through that piece of toast, metaphorically speaking.

I always thought his self-insert was Teodor, based on his affectation for music, and the bizarre arc with Teodor, Nice Pete and the man with the giant schlong.

Christ that was weird.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

"Johnny Aztec, what is the saddest thing?"

" Achewood thread, Achewood thread, the saddest thing is smoothly working an Achewood quote or reference into a conversation, and having no one get it"

"NOOOOOOoooooo"

I bricked an Achewood reference in real life so hard once. A friend was sharing some poem he wrote (yuck) and I read the last stanza out loud at the table and then grabbed my head and went "OHHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!" pretty loudly and just got horrified stares.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
For me it will always be panel 8 of

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03052009

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I need to get with some newbie smokers so I can do this one day:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
The voice actors are going to have to be really amazing to nail Ray & Beef Chat, should be interesting. I'm excited, this came outta nowhere :D

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Maybe I have a distinct lack of imagination, but I always heard Ray and Beef sounding very similar to each other, but with Ray employing more traditional diction.

Also dunno if this is top favorite ever, but its close:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10172007

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
You may not remember a certain strip made before the characters really had their voices defined BUT, Cornelius is a pretty large Flava Flav fan :colbert:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10242001

This one always makes me happy for some reason, I think it's the very idea of a blinking tooth.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I feel like Seth Rogen would work as Teodor

How the hell do you cast Nice Pete? :stare:

Who is the most eerie soft spoken American breadbasket gentleman we can go with?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
More deets:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/achewood-tv-show/

quote:

Praised for over a decade as one of the smartest, most idiosyncratic webcomics to grace the digital space, Chris Onstad’s Achewood has operated on an intermittent schedule since the creator announced an indefinite hiatus in March of 2011. At the time, Onstad admitted that comics might not be the best medium for the characters anymore, and now the somewhat reclusive creator has announced the next step for the strip and its cast of eccentric anthropomorphic animals: It may soon become an animated television show.

The new development comes as welcome news to readers after several years of inconsistent updates and relatively little content from Onstad. “The new material feels great,” Onstad told Wired. “It was incredibly liberating to finally write for the new medium. It breathed new life into me, and the characters.”

Although some familiar plots from the webcomic would make their way into the small-screen adaptation, Onstad says the bulk of the content potentially slated for the cartoon format will be all-new. Currently, the creator is looking at traditional cable networks willing to host a half-hour show in a nonstandard format, though the Ignatz Award-winning creator says fans of the strip’s relentlessly offbeat and irreverent humor shouldn’t worry about it dumbing down: “It’s not a nuclear-family comedy.”

To help bring his creation to the small-screen, Onstad has enlisted the help of Emmy-winner Josh Lieb, a former producer for Comedy Central’s The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, who also has a few animation credits to his name as a former producer on The Simpsons. Lieb brought a Russian-based motion capture software firm into the mix, using the same technology that powers the country’s popular parody program, Cartoon Personalities, which pokes fun at everyone from Hollywood celebrities to President Vladimir Putin.

So far, the Achewood test-footage runs only five minutes, although Onstad has only shared just shy of 20 seconds with the public. Although not included in the online video teaser, the extended version features the voice talents of Abbey DiGregorio, best know for her work on Drawn Together, and Toby Huss of The Adventures of Pete and Pete and King of The Hill fame. DiGregorio voices Philippe while Onstad takes on Roast Beef himself, though he hopes find someone else to voice the character in the future. And since every Achewood reader is waiting with bated beath, yes: Huss will be commanding the role of Ray, no easy task.

“I know the voices are a huge deal to readers, and there is absolutely no way we’re going to make everyone happy, but I worked with Toby Huss to create a Ray that really came real for me,” says Onstad. “It was like working with a larynx Theremin. I’d say, ‘Add twenty pounds, make him ten years younger, and from three streets over,’ and Toby, on the fly, could do it.”

Cartoon Network could be the perfect fit for the project with its Adult Swim subbrand of alternative shows, although Fox is set to debut its own late-night animation blog with Axe Cop, a series based on another webcomic that features the voice talent of Parks and Recreation‘s Nick Offerman. But if Achewood can’t find a place among any of the traditional networks, here’s hoping one rogue player might: Netflix. The streaming service has already resurrected one cult comedy favorite with Arrested Development, and bringing aboard a property like Achewood would only solidify the company’s ability to focus on niche audiences cable and network stations can’t foster.

An animated show isn’t the only thing on the horizon for Achewood. Onstad says he’s been quietly stockpiling a variety of material during the lull of public content released, including a new webstore, a stand-alone anthology through a print publisher, and another book that has been in the works for over a year.

Onstad also thinks there’s a “good chance” that more original Achewood strips could be in the works. “I took a long time off to take care of myself and recharge, to live life without constantly seeing the world in the service of the comic, but now I am nostalgic for it again. When I first started seeing the tremendous outpouring of support for the new show announcement, I realized what an important part of my life writing and sharing Achewood on a regular basis was.”

He also admits webcomics aren’t always the path to financial security despite the success of projects like Dinosaur Comics creator Ryan North’s choose-your-own-path retelling of Hamlet and other Kickstarter campaigns.“My eBook honor system works decently. While it’s not generating surplus money, it’s definitely not generating any headaches, and that’s more important to me,” Onstad said. “I’m proud to have shown that a web-based comic can go a lot of places under its own power, but I would never tell anyone it was a safe way to live.”

Whatever happens with the future of Achewood, Onstad says he hope to “make people happy with writing that I believe genuinely takes the intelligence of both the audience and the subject seriously.” And if you’ve ever read the series, you’ll know he says that without the slightest irony, even though it revolves around misadventures of a motley crew of depressed, loquacious, foul-mouthed bears, cats and otters who befriend serial killers, engage in week-long no holds barred fighting events and get shot in the spine with bullets that grant them permanent wireless internet.

Artie, The Strongest Man In The World = Ray :monocle:
Onstad = Beef (subject to change I'm sure)
Ling Ling from Drawn Together = Philippe, which I can kinda see

Also, it sounds like this project has a lot of good people attached to it, AND people who can get poo poo done, which is almost as important.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
It's not exactly how I pictured him in my head (mine is a bit higher pitched), but I feel like that voice could be so loving perfect for so many classic ray lines.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Regarding the test footage, I think the first bit is weak just because I know the material, and am just sitting there blankly being more critical of it and remembering it word for word from my dumb brain.

The second one is great, because its new material and I'm laughing my rear end off.

And then the third/fourth kinda in between, because while being a redo, it has a lot more going on in it than the first strip, so yeah.

I'm excited though, that's freaking test footage, that must "suck" even more than the pilot, in terms of indicator as to whether a cartoon series will be good or not.

EDIT:
And I just realized how amazing gently caress You Friday's are going to be, please let that make it in, haha.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 28, 2013

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I also like how Pat is standing in the shower for no reason.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Loomer posted:

I check a thread at one AM. There is an Achewood animation with a possible series.

Is thisvreal? Am I awake? Did... Did I die?

Here's your Subaru Brat

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Man, just got to Cartilage Head arc in my re-read.

I honestly don't think this could be done in any other medium. I would love to see the attempt, but I love the stillness and effort of every pane in the comic.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Where does Dan Mintz fit into this production

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I never got the "Cold have a peter in your mouth" line. What am I missing?

Garfield sucks the dick. Cold being like, ... gently caress. How the gently caress do I describe that usage of the word cold? It usually applies to being caught cold, like as a boxing term for getting busted in the face I believe.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I think Ultra Peanut held her own in the strips she was f- ah who am I kidding.

I think at the least the comic does no harm, at most junctures, that's like, better than most things, right?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Was there confirmation that he was divorced? I don't remember ever reading anything definitive.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Revol posted:

I forget this storyline, post a link? Is that the one where he and Nice Pete go off on their 'High School' adventure?

It's the last arc, Fast Times At Achewood High

It's really dark and strange.

Also there's a good half dozen comics that make reference to Teodor's latent homosexuality (or urges, or doubts, or whatever), I like that it's treated as no big deal really.

EDIT:
As a for instance, I just read this one on my re-read:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01042006

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
A Crispy Stella is something that has crunchy golden action.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Actually, Adam Corolla would work great for LieBot

I always envisioned him having that kinda game show host pitch.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
In rebuttal, I offer this piece of misogyny:

not really, I just think this is probably the funniest Philippe moment

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Kinda in the same vein, but

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10192005

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Aside from who ate Ray's dang nachos, what's your favorite unsolved Achewood mystery?

Personally, I'd love to know who just got... yellled aaaat, and for what reason.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03292007

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

I want to know what happened to Scrambles, because he was lost! Poor guy.

Wasn't Onstad asked about Scrambles and we got some hilariously venomous answer?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Anyone got a link to the weird comic where he make a little flow chart of masturbating into a toilet and writes "CARTOONING" under it?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Thank you sir, I dunno what made me think of it, probably Gunshow Comic's 24th installment of Graveyard Quest :ninja:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
A phrase I hope to find somewhere to use once in my life:
poo poo-hot mother sex peppers:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12042008

A bit of dialogue that has been cracking me up nonstop lately is Dr. Andretti accidentally naming a Red Hot Chili Peppers album:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09092008

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

Oh no... was the controversy over Philippe getting buggered?

I'm teaching myself JavaScript now and one of the first scripts I make will have that exchange for sure.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

I have no idea why that made me laugh so hard on my re-read lately. Ray is just so god damned lovable. I want to hang with him for a few weeks a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I like the idea of trying to post the funniest single panels that work without context.

My humble submission: