Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Superglue, both the cause and solution to the problem. Like so many things in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right! Time to man up and post some stuff.

I wanted to get back into modelling after a fifteen year break, and not doing things by half, I decided to learn to use Green stuff as well. I've been running a Skaven team called "Gimlet's Dwarven Delicacies" for most of the time I've been bloodbowling, so I decided to make them.

I've also just made myself a light box, but don't have a daybulb, hence the odd colours in here. My painting's never been great, but I'm still happy with how these guys came out.

Stormvermin Chefs.

My Rat Ogre greeter - unfortunately, his tie didn't survive the move.

Thrower servers.

Gutter-runner delivery rats.

Rat-on-a-Stick, Rack-o-Ribs, a bus rat and Rat surprise.

Finally, Serving Bell, Al-Dente and The Janitor.

God, taking these photos shows me how bad my painting is.

My next project is building my Rouge Trader crew from my LP in model form.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Really just a general dungeon-building set. I want the pieces ready to go that I can throw out on the table and whip together a dungeon. In a lot of cases that would mean just basic floor/wall plans, but I also want the option to build more interesting set pieces for one-offs or sometimes-offs. So I'll take a lot of those floor pieces and pre-build floors and walls for various rooms, of all sorts of configurations for sticking together as needed for a particular game. That was why I stuck fairly strictly to the 1" scale. So like I can pre-build a 3x5 room with a couple exits, maybe some hallway segments, a spiral staircase to drop at the end of a hallway, some walls with just a little bit of flooring and some bare floor grids that I can use for bigger rooms, that sort of thing. And then for more important points of interest, a raised alter, a room with glowing runs in a certain way on the floor, etc.

So no overall specific structure. Rather, I want to use these smaller building blocks to pre-build larger building blocks which I can use as needed to put together actual locations.

You're building Bronzestabbed, aren't you.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 1, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Chance II posted:

^^^ I love those skaven Grey. Hit them with a Matte coat to take the shine off and they'll photograph better.

I know this is from a week ago, but I only check this thread occasionally.

Can someone suggest a good matte varnish (availible in the UK.) I cheked the list in the OP.

I'm looking for something I can paint or spray on, as I don't have no fancy airbrush. just something to take the sheen off the army painter I'm using.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Thanks a lot, I'll look into those two.
I've got a daylight bulb coming for my lightbox. I seem to be taking this painting lark on a bit more this time. Its just odd that the only models I have painted I play with are from the Mansions of Madness board game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Just don't let them freeze or get way too hot and you should be OK.

I recently recovered all my GW paints from under my brothers bed at my parents place, where they had not been touched in ten years. Most of them are all good, one or two have thickened a bit, but only the ones with dodgy caps dried out. About 75% were recoverable, and they were not placed there with the intention of being stored.

Miles O'Brian posted:

Congratulations Malal, youre basically a Mek.

This has got to be how most meks start, they get drunk on fungus beer one night, wake up the next morning and they've bolted a snotling to a tiny walker.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

lilljonas posted:

And if that was not enough, put a big-rear end tombstone, fairy wings or a medieval daemonic hotrod on your back:

Samurai warriors wore the weirdest poo poo.

Nothing says elite warrior like going into battle with a pair of butterfly wings on your back. Because if you going to own your enemy, you want to do it in a way that embarrasses them the most.

Also, the other guy looks a little like a mushroom from Mario.......

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Feeple posted:

So, Airbrush cat for a sec:

Please do not airbrush your cat.

Right, I'm going to cross post this here. I'm doing a LP of Rogue Trader, and decided that I'd like to try my hand at making custom models of the crew. (despite the fact that none of the players will ever see them in real life).

One of the recurring themes is someone (I have yet to figure out who) keep drawing top hats on things - so it was decided that all the characters would wear hats.

I had a good week of work, and here are the current state.

Aubrey now sports a hat, reminding me of one stereotypically Traditionally worn by hard drinking Irish leprechauns.

Cole also now has a hat, but more of a 1920's Gangster style one.

Mecharius has found himself a dashing top hat to go with his cyber monocle.

Seb looks like his has come from some film noir detective film, but he also has a cape now.

[img]http://lpix.org/1103474/Green Seb.jpg[/timg]

Trust has a nice tankard to go with his hat.

Finally with his original hat, Little Bash is still draggin his sword the same size as him around.

Next up to to try and smooth these down a bit - there are some mold lines and fingerprints I'd like to minimize before I spray up and get painting.

If you can think of anything these models need, let me know, and I'll do my best to add it.

Feedback is welcome, but I would point out this is the second time I've used green stuff, so I'm still learning. Those hats are the result of two hours of work and the green stuff nearly hardening in/on my hands. its been an interesting learning experience though!

Finally, oh modelling gods - There is one player not represented, Sinixia the navigator - who is a three eyed woman with lots of excess skin. I have yet to find a decent model for her - I'm looking for something like on old woman in robes with space for a third eye, but I would take anything I could add some robes to. a staff would be nice, but not a necessity. anyone have any ideas?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Now mount it on one of the GW plastic flight bases. Or maybe a hundred of them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've been working on the Crew of my Rogue Trader game, and just got them finished up today. I'm not the greatest painter in the world, but I think they've come out pretty clear. The top hats are an in joke.

Overall, not bad for my third project back after ten years of not painting. Also my third time ever using green stuff.

The Crew of the Omnisiah's Sheild.

Praise-the-Emperor-for-He-is-Mighty Bashura, Rogue Trader and Captain. (Age 13)
Pictured with the Ogryn he slew in (near) single combat

Trust, Seneschal of the Bashura Dynasty, pictured with some sort of Snozzberry alcoholic beverage.

Aubrey “Arb” Malix, Arch Millitant and Bodyguard, pictured with his true loves.

Mecharius Gent, Exploritor and representative of the Machine Cult.

Sinxia Anihilus, Imperial Navigator.

Cole McGath, Voidmaster of the Omnisahs Sheild.

Sebastian, Astropath Ascendant and secondary meat sheild.

If you have a problem, and no one else can help, then your screwed. Because these guys are off getting drunk and abducting people off hick worlds that don't even remember that space travel is a thing.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

^^^^^^
For me, the models look great then I take a photo of them and I can see ALL the imperfections I couldn't see while painting them. Every small splotch of paint and missed bit of colouring.

Then again, it may be the perfectionist in me.

Purgey posted:

I hate all of you talented fuckers. This kind of amateur paintjob almost killed me :negative:

Tell me about it, you work for hours and some guy just rocks up with a paint job better than yours and goes "well, heres the rough paint job done!"

I like those orks, they have a Borderlands feel to them.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 22, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

2. When you look at thread superstars like Bachtere, he's a great painter but he's also a great PHOTOGRAPHER, and that's huge. I have models that I am really proud of that I just can't make look good in photos.

Yeah, I need to work on my camera settings some more, I have an SLR, but I've not really experimented with it much when it comes to taking photos of models. I really need to sit down and methodically work through the settings. Once I have them then I should be able to improve.

I might well take part in this years oath thread. I've just stripped all the Warhammer Quest models I could find (just missing a few rats and some snotlings from the complete set) along with a load of hero models that were in the old ice cream tub that 14 year old me used to store the game.

14 year old me should have been convicted of crimes against painting. The colour schemese on these things were horrendous - I had a yellow skaven for gods sake - bad moon yellow as well! what the hell was I thinking?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Zhent posted:

That's alright. I'm in the process of stripping a bunch of bikes that I painted many years ago, and there are at least 4 different colors of spraypaint coming off - including what appears to be fire engine red. Ugh.

Apparently when your a young teenager, there is nothing better than bright colours. I've got Catachen guardsmen sitting in my parents attic which I am drat sure I painted camo with orc flesh green with sploges of black and brown.

Screw it. I'm going up in May, I'm going to reclaim my old models and buy six bottels of dettol. The Guard shall rise again!

This time, I shall photo them before hand. Just to prove to myslef I've improved over the years.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Its Scandinavia, their all over the place. its like castles in England, you can't go five feet without falling into a moat.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dirty Job posted:

And why are they walking on a floor of faces?

Also, at what point will the redhead realize she's got a flaming lantern pressed against her thigh?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

This thing is such a mother fucker so far.
It's a mother fucker to assemble.
It's a mother fucker to base.
It's a mother fucker to paint.

In a similar vein, I'm remebering why 10 year old me used so much supergle on those '89 era Imperial Guardsmen, trying to stick those plastic arms onto the metal bodies is not working. I've had to resort to green stuff to get them to fit.

They helpfully made them with a combination of nubs to stick to, and hole in the arm for them to fit into. The problem is that the holes and the nubs are not the same shape, leaving less surface area for the glue to work on!
Much swearing has been involved, but they seem to be on now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That would still leave me with the holes in the arms, Greenstuff is needed to fill the gaps anyway, so I may as well make it a perminent solution.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

Can some of you guys post your lovely starter models, then how good you got 3 months later. Seeing the poo poo that I paint compared to some of the gems in this thread is kinda discouraging. :smith:

How about Ten year to 14 year old me? this is the last time I painted regually.

I'd hate to see the desert that these guys are cammoed for.....

And after a 15 year break from painting, this is what I have been able to do for the oath thread.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 21, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

MisterG posted:

Great Captain America reference.

You called?

(I'm British btw, but some things need to be done.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

There are times in this hobby you will feel proud of your accomplishments, times when you feel you have bettered yourself and improved your skills, then there are the times when things just don't work as you had planned, the paint job looks smeared or the conversion looks just plain silly.

Then there are times when you realize you just super glued a tentacle to the back of your hand.

Excuse me while I go run my hand under some hot water for a minute.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

SRM posted:

Let me tell you about a time.

A simpler time.

A more colorful time.

I think I have most of those models upstairs, from my teenage years...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Cross Post from the Oath thread, because I'm damned proud of these guys!

The 80th Regimunt of Fut is ready to brave the Deadzone.

The whole lot, including the objective crates - so many models they barely fit in my poor homemade light box.

Now for some closeups.

The two Ripper suits - Rainmaker and Mauler class. I deliberately left these guys looking shiny to make them look like scuffed up painted metal. in the second row Captain Charred stands happily on his ammo box with his two pet Mauler beasts on either side.

Here we have the rest of the boys. Two Goblin snipers along with a soldier and a pyro in the top rank, with three more soldiers in the bottom.

All painted up like Victorian Redcoats!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Sisko posted:

Been busy with school and work so I've not been able to work on my Space Wolves as much as I would have liked. However this weekend I got some spare time so I got a little hobbying done.

Grey Hunters Sqaud #1

You know, back when I picked my nickname, these units were either not a thing or very low profile.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So, have you ever "mixed" up to much green stuff, and because you hate wasting stuff go on a two hour 40 model gap filling spree?

'Cus my shoulders hurt now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It was almost exactly the right amount for all 40 models I was planning to do this week, but that was this week, not today.

On the plus side, I just have to spray them and I'm good!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

They will knock EVERYTHING onto the floor out of spite.

While looking you right in the eyes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Pyre Troll

In the Timg this looks like a troll cheerleader with pom-poms.....

"2-4-6-8-who shall we eviscerate!"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've never had a problem with Wayland, the only thing I've had to wait on is an Xwing minitures Interceptor, but they are hard to get hold of.

Totalwargamer.co.uk however - I ordered some stuff from a clearance sale in January which I got last week. Apparently they had trouble ordering it in.......

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've just finished painting the four released factions for Mantic's Deadzone.

Starting with the Rebels, in Browncoat style.

The Enforcers are painted the same base colour as my terrain, that's camouflage that is.

For the Plague, the white was a bit to bright for me, so I went for greys.

Finally, I've posted these before, but the Marauders just look to drat good in their Victorian British Redcoat uniforms (80th Regiment of Foot)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

You can get way too close to minis easily, and even some of the best look a little off mid-flow.

I have the "OH GOD WHAT AM I DOING" stage of every project, when a colour looks wrong, but I force myself to keep going.

I'm doing 6mm British atm, and I only have a few reds - the one I'm using looked to bright to begin with, and I was panicking a little, but I've kept telling myself its 6mm, and I need to brighten up the colours to account for the smaller size of the model. and that helped.

That and checking the colour against my photos of my dad reenacting as a victorian redcoat.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Also Crossposting from the Oath Thread - my first 6mm figures since my terribly painted Epic armies age 8.

Grey Hunter posted:

Oath Complete

As my light box is to small, time to break out the new (and still creased) grass mat!

There are my men, but as they are a little small (6mm) lets have a closer look, and provide some counts so I can prove everyone is present and correct. (You might just want to trust me on this one)

In the forground, the riflemen are 4 to a base with 12 bases total (6 shown here) behind them the line infantry, 16 to a base with 15 bases (one at the back with leftover figures on it.) 240 men in line formation, 48 in skirmish

Here we see the Generals and artillery - Artillery is 4 men and cannon to a base, and there are four of them. Generals are either 2 to a base or 3 to a base depending on whether they are Division or Corps Commanders. you can also see the spare cav I had mounted up on round bases to act as command point markers. Artillery, 16 men, 4 guns, 9 generals, 6 spare horsemen

Left flank, and we can see four bases of Hussars, 6 to a base. 24 men

Right flank, in the same configuration the light Dragoons. 24 men

Behind them, 6 to base are nine bases of Heavy dragoons. 54 men

Total = 425 plucky men.

Now all I need to do is paint up the French and I can actually play!

At least I forgot to buy any light infantry for them, so that's 48 models less to paint!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

lilljonas posted:

The one thing about this hobby that my wife stubbornly vetoes... :smith:

Mine bought me a glass cabinet similar to that, put wedding stuff on the top shelf and told me that's all the display space I'm allowed.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So here is the contents of a 6mm Baccus Napoleonic French starter box! (cross posted from the oath thread)

Le Mini Grande Battery

240 French Line Infantry, 16 to a base, 15 bases.

The Cavalry - 6 bases of Currasier, 6 Dragoons, 3 Hussars and 3 Chevaler.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Oh my god those horsemen have the cutest proportions. SOOO CUUTE

Also dear god, 6mm. Do you have to do everything with a 00 brush?

My smallest brush is a old Games Workshop fine detail brush, so thats what I use a lot - but you can get away with bigger brushes for a lot of stuff - tunics, horses and the other block colours, then fine detail and some concentration for the trimmings - although at that scale less is quite often more.

The new baccus horses are reall great though - there is even a noticeable size difference between the ones used for light and heavy cavalry!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dropzone commander is seriously good. You should play it.

Everyone should play it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Like most other people its mold lines - especially the buggers that don't show up until you paint the model - the they are there clear as day!

Also, what I call the "what am I doing?!" stage of painting, where there are only one or two colours on a model and it looks like a five year old has vandalized in, and I'm thinking the colour scheme I'm trying is not going to work.
It normally works out in the end, but every time I start a project I think I'm going to screw it up.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

moths posted:

After you flock it up, you shouldn't even be able to notice.

These are some 10mm Vikings I did, and they're all standing on a similarly sized lead humps. Make the ground a neutral lumpy thing, and your eyes will get drawn to the figures instead.

Yeah, flock and sand them and people won't even notice.

For anyone who hasn't seen a 6mm unbased.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I use a (cheap) relatively fine brush to put it on. Also, I don't bother trying to get flock or sand between the legs of the horses, as you can't tell the difference just by looking at them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Vermintide posted:

Gonna be painting tiny rat men into my 50s. They just keep multiplying. I mean that's what rats do, isn't it?

Gestation 21 days, average litter size 7, sexually mature at ~21 days. Generation time-span is therefor 52 days.......

Lets hope they have a high mortality rate. Although, if the rumours about the fate of WHFB are true, there may well be a 100% mortality rate around the corner....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

moths posted:

Thanks! His right eye's bothering me, but I know that's only because I'm looking at it 300% magnified under harsh lighting. The hardest thing is accepting human limitations.

Try looking at pics of 6mm figures. They look terrible, when in reality they look great. Also in pictures you spend a lot more time looking at an image, so you spot all the bits of paint to missed cleaning up.

• Locked thread