Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

I'd expect that unless the jackstands are clearly stamped MADE IN USA OUT OF BATTLESHIP STEEL they all come from the same three factories regardless of the manufacturer, and are all equally susceptible to the same types of manufacturing error. The fact that one model number hasn't been recalled doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't got any hidden problems.

Maybe the best move would just be to use six stands instead of four, so one can fail without bringing the car down.

Take the extra second to stuff the wheels under the lowest point it'll fit under so if it drops the wheels will catch the car or, at the very least, give you enough lung room to scream for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BigPaddy posted:

Assembled in the USA from globally sourced parts.

The fully assembled product was shipped to the US where a teenager placed it in the final box and put the "made in USA" sticker on.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

I feel attacked.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

xzzy posted:

Seems like the only solution you can trust right now is those car stands made out of 2x4's.

Have you tried using cinder blocks oriented with the holes facing sideways?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

So do we still trust other brands stands that are basically the same construction?

I have these and they look pretty much the same :shrug:

Weld penetration on the seam of the base is not exactly great

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sagebrush posted:

I'd expect that unless the jackstands are clearly stamped MADE IN USA OUT OF BATTLESHIP STEEL they all come from the same three factories regardless of the manufacturer, and are all equally susceptible to the same types of manufacturing error. The fact that one model number hasn't been recalled doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't got any hidden problems.

Maybe the best move would just be to use six stands instead of four, so one can fail without bringing the car down.

I think the manufacturing error was in the ratchet/pawl mechanism, so therefore just buy ones with pins.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It looks like Grumman LLVs will catch on fire when you run them for 30 years and stop maintaining them because of a manufactured budget crisis.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3ezx4/post-office-delivery-trucks-keep-catching-on-fire

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Safety Dance posted:

It looks like Grumman LLVs will catch on fire when you run them for 30 years and stop maintaining them because of a manufactured budget crisis.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3ezx4/post-office-delivery-trucks-keep-catching-on-fire

There's a hotmail joke in there somewhere.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Safety Dance posted:

I'm sure this information will be used to revitalize and overhaul our Postal system before election season...

quote:

The USPS' Board of Governors appoints the postmaster general, which is supposed to insulate the position a bit from politics. However, the board's members are appointed by the president and approved by the Senate. All current board members are Trump appointees.

The board, which announced its decision May 6, said it considered more than 200 candidates and interviewed more than a dozen candidates.

"The Schumer quest strikes me as largely if not wholly political. This isn't a guy who has no experience whatsoever," said Kevin Kosar, an executive at the R Street Institute, a think tank, who spent more than 10 years covering postal issues for the Congressional Research Service.

"There's nothing that can be done to remove him from his position without Congress doing something radical," Kosar said.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Lol I can think of few better ways to alienate your base than to keep their mail from going through properly.

Of course His Orange Majesty will just blame it on "Liberal Progressive Subversive elements."

How loving stupid do you have to be to think maintenance is more expensive than a new goddamn unit*, not to mention if there aren't replacement or backup vehicles to be had now you have to redo the route scheme to distribute the load or have a carrier double up on routes.

*(I fully recognize there are exceptions to every rule)

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 8, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

Lol I can think of few better ways to alienate your base than to keep their mail from going through properly.

Of course His Orange Majesty will just blame it on "Liberal Progressive Subversive elements."

How loving stupid do you have to be to think maintenance is more expensive than a new goddamn unit*, not to mention if there aren't replacement or backup vehicles to be had now you have to redo the route scheme to distribute the load or have a carrier double up on routes.

*(I fully recognize there are exceptions to every rule)

Destroying the post office means you can’t vote by mail.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The Grumman LLV is an astonishingly good product made to last 25 years and have routinely lasted beyond 30.

This could be used as an argument that it should have been upgraded years ago, but like the B52, the fuckin' things keep on truckin' because American contractors haven't had a loving original design in decades, and it still works.

I've been very mad about how much billionaires are ripping apart our government services, and getting away with it. I'm certain the USPS will be gutted before November and I'm being called a chicken little for it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

Destroying the post office means you can’t vote by mail.

And to replace the post office, we have fully privatized mail delivery run by a company that is in no way connected to Jared Kushner!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

And to replace the post office, we have fully privatized mail delivery run by a company that is in no way connected to Jared Kushner!

I love when it costs 18 dollars to send grandma a birthday card.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

I love when it costs 18 dollars to send grandma a birthday card.

FedEx will do it for $16.75.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BigPaddy posted:

Painted and labeled in the USA.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

The Grumman LLV is an astonishingly good product made to last 25 years and have routinely lasted beyond 30.

This could be used as an argument that it should have been upgraded years ago, but like the B52, the fuckin' things keep on truckin' because American contractors haven't had a loving original design in decades, and it still works.

I've been very mad about how much billionaires are ripping apart our government services, and getting away with it. I'm certain the USPS will be gutted before November and I'm being called a chicken little for it.

by what metric is it an "astonishingly good product"

they did let some rural mail delivery people buy RHD subaru outback wagons...just having a normal civilian vehicle that gets replaced every 12 years would most likely have been better

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm sorry, but if the mailman doesn't drive the mailman truck my image of America is ruined.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

USPS has their own fleet of tow trucks too!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BraveUlysses posted:

by what metric is it an "astonishingly good product"

they did let some rural mail delivery people buy RHD subaru outback wagons...just having a normal civilian vehicle that gets replaced every 12 years would most likely have been better

It is a giant steel box powered by an Iron Duke, apparently they are painful to drive.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Well I mean, i was going by "doing what it was supposed to out of the box", which is last forever with little maintenance, and after you reminded me of the other shortcomings, I remembered they also just spontaneously combust.

But they only catch fire years past their initial due date!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
it's one of my :3: side-dreams to buy a decommissioned LLV and have it shipped to Japan, where I drive it around in full USPS livery

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

NoWake posted:

it's one of my :3: side-dreams to buy a decommissioned LLV and have it shipped to Japan, where I drive it around in full USPS livery

Every so often I go searching for foreign scale model communities and the like that specialize in American stuff. I usually have to resort to google translate because I only speak English, but I've found Eastern European tank forums with slavs who stan for the Abrams.

I have/want to believe there are Japanese USPS nerds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

It is a giant steel box powered by an Iron Duke, apparently they are painful to drive.

they are aluminum, like all other products of the Grumman corporation. such as

or

or

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Heh, my HF jack stands are 20 years old, the recall doesn't effect me....

Hmmmm........

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It is my understanding that the little triangular front quarter window on the USPS trucks was an intentional design nod to the Apollo capsules' little triangular windows.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the LLV is poo poo and I believe there were plans in the works to replace them with Transit Connects but that got axed because they are made in Turkey or whatever

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Elviscat posted:

Giant aluminum box powered by an Iron Duke. :eng101:

Since they're basically a GM S-truck underneath I've always had the idea in the back of my head to buy one and swap in a full Syclone/Typhoon drivetrain. Imagine sitting at a light and hearing the mail truck next to you power-braking as a turbo spools before taking off. Definitely on the "if I ever win powerball" list.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm sorry, but if the mailman doesn't drive the mailman truck my image of America is ruined.

My maternal granddad did rural route mail for many years, '60s & '70s, and never once had a government issued delivery vehicle. He drove an early '60s Rambler American 440 sedan, when I became aware of what he did for a living some time in the '70s. HE finally wore it out, but that thing kept trucking for a long time.

wolrah posted:

Giant aluminum box powered by an Iron Duke. :eng101:

Since they're basically a GM S-truck underneath I've always had the idea in the back of my head to buy one and swap in a full Syclone/Typhoon drivetrain. Imagine sitting at a light and hearing the mail truck next to you power-braking as a turbo spools before taking off. Definitely on the "if I ever win powerball" list.

They're not even giant, really. Minivan-sized. The USPS has bigger trucks, of course, but the LLV is pretty small.
What always amuses me about the LLV is that the rear track is significantly wider than the front track. It's just weird.

edit: I'm not sure the 4.3 will fit in them, but I've not seen under the hood. They may be designed around the iron duke. Of course, *anything* can fit if you want it bad enough...

edit 2: according to Wikipedia, the LLV got the 2.2L aluminum head I-4 (it doesn't specify which particular engine designation) later, presumably when the 2.5L Iron Dukes ran out. And the track variation is because it uses 2WD S-10 front suspension, and a 4WD rear axle, which was wider to match the wider front track on the 4x4 S-trucks. Also, LOL, the Wikipedia article already has the info from Vice cited in it.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 8, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was looking it up on wikipedia. Apparently the front half is from the two wheel drive s-10 blazer, and the back half is from the four wheel drive s-10 blazer. I guess Grumman just wandered into the GM parts bin and started slapping things together. Also, it's really funny to me that Grumman built the lunar lander and the mail truck.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wolrah - looks like your dream of a Syclone LLV is attainable. Someone stuffed an LSx in one: https://www.thedrive.com/news/29722/this-retired-usps-delivery-truck-with-an-ls-v-8-swap-can-straight-up-haul-the-mail

edit:

Cojawfee posted:

I was looking it up on wikipedia. Apparently the front half is from the two wheel drive s-10 blazer, and the back half is from the four wheel drive s-10 blazer. I guess Grumman just wandered into the GM parts bin and started slapping things together. Also, it's really funny to me that Grumman built the lunar lander and the mail truck.

Yeah, I found that after my post, and edited it in. Makes sense - little more room in the cargo area. Grumman also built tons of larger delivery trucks. My Scoutmaster in Boy Scouts had one we used to haul all our gear and putt the canoe trailer.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Darchangel posted:

Someone stuffed an LSx in one:

At this point I'd be more surprised to hear that someone hasn't put a LS motor in a *insert literally any vehicle/chassis here*.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Safety Dance posted:

To be fair, their service life was originally designed to be 20 years, then extended to 24 years long after designed, then the USPS said "no they good for 30 years". They're built on an 80s Chevy S-10 platform with the Iron Duke (not exactly the pinnacle of reliability to begin with), they all have fucktons of miles on them, and all repairs are done as cheaply as possible... when they actually get serviced. The newest ones are 26 years old, the oldest are 33 years old.

One of my former coworkers was a letter carrier for several years. She told me there was more than one time when she went through 3 different trucks in the same day, a few times 4-5 trucks in the same day, due to them breaking down in the middle of the route, and she frequently went through at least 2 a day. Tow truck would bring a "running" one and grab the dead one.... rinse, repeat again before the end of her shift. She claimed 3 trucks happened at least once every 2-3 months. I've seen flatbeds with two of them on the bed plus one on the hook more than once, all with hazards flashing.

And since the entire body is aluminum, unless you catch the fire super fast, it's going to be impossible to figure out how/what/why the fire started aside from a general area - you're gonna have a pool of melted aluminum around everything.

Darchangel posted:

edit 2: according to Wikipedia, the LLV got the 2.2L aluminum head I-4 (it doesn't specify which particular engine designation) later, presumably when the 2.5L Iron Dukes ran out.

It's the LN2, based on the GM 122

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 8, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

At this point I'd be more surprised to hear that someone hasn't put a LS motor in a *insert literally any vehicle/chassis here*.

I don't think anyone's done an original Mini, yet. The engine's bigger than the car.
Someone proving me wrong in: 4, 3, 2...

STR posted:

To be fair, their service life was originally designed to be 20 years, then extended to 24 years long after designed, then the USPS said "no they good for 30 years". They're built on an 80s Chevy S-10 platform with the Iron Duke (not exactly the pinnacle of reliability to begin with), they all have fucktons of miles on them, and all repairs are done as cheaply as possible... when they actually get serviced. The newest ones are 26 years old, the oldest are 33 years old.

One of my former coworkers was a letter carrier for several years. She told me there was more than one time when she went through 3 different trucks in the same day, a few times 4-5 trucks in the same day, due to them breaking down in the middle of the route, and she frequently went through at least 2 a day. Tow truck would bring a "running" one and grab the dead one.... rinse, repeat again before the end of her shift. She claimed 3 trucks happened at least once every 2-3 months. I've seen flatbeds with two of them on the bed plus one on the hook more than once, all with hazards flashing.

And since the entire body is aluminum, unless you catch the fire super fast, it's going to be impossible to figure out how/what/why the fire started aside from a general area - you're gonna have a pool of melted aluminum around everything.

Who knew extending the service life of vehicles that are serviced apathetically at best could have consequences.

Ah, yep, there it is. Should have guessed it was the direct replacement in all the other models that used the Iron Duke.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Darchangel posted:

I don't think anyone's done an original Mini, yet. The engine's bigger than the car.
Someone proving me wrong in: 4, 3, 2...

I found an Mk IV Mini, but not a Mk I.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JBOLwHtck

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 8, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is there info on what causes the LLV fires?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

taqueso posted:

Is there info on what causes the LLV fires?

Republicans.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

they are aluminum, like all other products of the Grumman corporation. such as

or

or

Well, not quite all.

I'm now amused that the company that made one of the most prolific Aluminum Body vehicles of all time, also literally manufactured things out of 100% real American Submarine Steel!!!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Whelp, I wasn't wrong about the proving wrong.
By "original Mini" I meant not a BMW, so that qualifies.
That fits better than I thought it would, actually. I'm just going to assume that the radiator is hiding in the boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I gotta admit, I'm out and about quite a bit and I've never seen a postal truck on a flatbed.

What was the deal with staggered wheel distance? Turning radius?