Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd seriously be pissed if I had to let some random fucker take my brakes apart for a forced inspection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rhyno posted:

Local Ford Dealer did this to people all the time while I worked there.

It's an old tactic. Doesn't make it legal.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I don't get the gear oil hate it just smells like oil to me even scorched atf.

Brake cleaner(either type) or simple green though, those things are absolutely toxic.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Shroomie posted:

Speaking of oil and failures, I caught my dad pouring non-detergent SAE 30 into his 5.4L F150 the other day :bang:

Wtf. You need to stage an intervention.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Wow I just looked up the neon crash test. This is 40mph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N13KOM1OpFY

This is my e36 from a similar year range (early 90s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8CjyFj1tWo

Airbags would have helped but the passenger compartment stays intact.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd take it to Napa and ask them to machine it just to get their reaction.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
...at 30-100 psi.

I'd probably still do it though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm actually surprised this many AI posters actually even have A/C.
I think my Ranger does, but I NEVER use it. Not in the 8 years I've had the thing.

I don't know how you live without it. Even in the winter it's useful.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

bidikyoopi posted:

Sounds pretty cool but I'm betting if you put 30g of amalgam in the head/sump and let it sit for 30 minutes, it just won't turn over. as soon as one crank bearing seizes you're done and then it's an expensive timelapse. I say turn the engine on, let it idle, and then add the amalgam to the breather vent and record from there.

This is an awesome idea.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Frank Dillinger posted:

Better yet, raise the driven axle off the ground, and really rev the engine for maximum destruction.

Jack the rear up, rev the crap out of it, wait for bad noises and then drop the jack.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Those wheels are stock for that car so I don't see why they would be fake.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Does it bother anyone else that transverse V6's never have symmetrical valve covers?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
1/3 of drivers in my city drive with their fogs on at night. 10% drive with their high beams on, day or night. God I hate driving in this city.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah we don't do inspections around here.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I too have had a harmonic balancer separate. Makes for a weird noise.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hammer a 3/4 inch socket onto it w/ a sledge. It's easy.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Haha or go to Autozone and look for any socket labeled 'Duralast'

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

kastein posted:

Might want to rethink that after considering manifold vacuum and the effective area of the throttle plate at, say, 10% throttle... not sure I would trust nylon screws with those kinds of forces.

Nylon-coated.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Someone post the torque guide for air tools again.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Carteret posted:

Working on my Genesis Coupe has been amazing. 2011. Don't know how much can change in 8 years, but My car doesn't even look like a Hyundai.

Yes it does.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have no problem with plastic intake manifolds but plastic valve covers can gently caress right off.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
When I ordered my blower motor (probably the same part), it came wrapped in that form-fitting foam stuff that they pump as a liquid and then dries in the shape of your item.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Kegerator dude :smug:

I pay $1.41 per 20oz pint of craft beer.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Slavvy posted:

They're called bottle jacks, they look exactly like the business end of a hydraulic press but upside down

Why I love this forum.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's annoying that they would put a frame rail there and not reinforce it for lifting.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Just in time for summer.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sucks to be you guys. My state has no inspections, no emissions regs, no front plates, and it's in the south so my lawyer's good-old boy network makes tickets disappear. Of course, the downside is that police are nearly completely ineffectual, drunk drivers are everywhere, and EVERY car on the local used market is hosed.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Slavvy posted:

gently caress yeah motherfucker! Got that sonovabitch out.

You lucky bastard.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Nitr0 posted:

Not really a mechanical failure. More like a stupid user failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JZoDpLwUp0

Pelican Parts price on a N63 short block: $26509.50

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Holy mother of god.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Frinkahedron posted:

:stonk:

Does she work at a slushy salt mine?

Funny but I wonder if a salt mine would be really bad or really good for a car's chassis. Yes there is a lot of salt, but there is probably also going to be the lowest humidity possible. I could see it having a preservative effect.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Phanatic posted:

GM almost certainly is self-insured on that car and doesn't even care who's at fault.

Yeah, I would think that's actually a lucky car to hit. No way it's worth GM's time to pursue that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's not just Nissan, I've seen other makes with weak "frame rail" spots. It's time that manufacturer's standardized on what a jacking point looks like. Lives are literally at stake.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
After you've owned a BMW for a few years you tend to get pretty good at sticking wheels back on and lining them up. It is a pain in the rear end though.

My understanding is that wheel bolts are marginally stronger, but probably not enough to really matter. I prefer them for looks, but that's about it. Of course my current wheels have bolt covers so you can't even see them at all.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Agreed, it's not that big of a deal.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
IT is worse.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Plinkey posted:

I did the same thing. Called a shop to ask how much the radiator and thermostat replacement was on my F150. They quoted me at like 1k parts and labor and I was like 'gently caress that' tore it apart in my back yard on a Saturday afternoon and when I got stuck had a coworker come by because I promised him a 12 pack. The feeling when done was glorious.

Next up is replacing my brake rotors because they are chewed to poo poo for some reason.

This effect is magnified quite a bit when you own a BMW. Blower motor is somewhere around 1500 at the dealer, I replaced it for like a hundred bucks.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

This is me approximately one minute after leaving my garage in GTA V.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You can tell it's clearly a knockoff battery, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I think it looks pretty cool. Needs a engine though.