Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LibCrusher posted:

Does your country not have freeway onramps?

I can do a pretty good pull on anything with a 55 or higher speed limit in the M3. Doesn't even have to be an onramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

On ramps are like the one thing that keeps power from getting boring

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LibCrusher posted:

are you frequently entering an onramp at 0 mph

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Counterpoint: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramp_meter

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There's a traffic light at both on-ramps when I'm going to work & coming home, and it's almost always red for me. If I'm lucky I'll get to it with no one in front of me :v:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Just lol at anyone not using a ramp meter as a makeshift drag racing tree.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

We don't have those here, but I find empty onramps to come to a complete stop at so I can use launch control. :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

forgot about those things, i've never lived anywhere that has them. we used to have toll booths though

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

When I’ve seen those on you won’t need to accelerate much to keep up.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Virgil Vox posted:

When I’ve seen those on you won’t need to accelerate much to keep up.

Yeah, that's the obvious rebuttal. Will be pretty heavy traffic at that point.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Yeah, that's the obvious rebuttal. Will be pretty heavy traffic at that point.

Not always, many of them are on dumb timers or are metering due to conditions a few miles ahead so I’ve had plenty of times where it meters onto a largely clear freeway.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Midjack posted:

Not always, many of them are on dumb timers or are metering due to conditions a few miles ahead so I’ve had plenty of times where it meters onto a largely clear freeway.

Absolutely true too. Maybe these sedans and suvs have power so non car people can merge safely without having to even approach redline, cause when needle at top it’s scary.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Virgil Vox posted:

Absolutely true too. Maybe these sedans and suvs have power so non car people can merge safely without having to even approach redline, cause when needle at top it’s scary.

My car made a scary noise :ohdear:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Virgil Vox posted:

"You're hurting it!" - my mom if I rev past 3K

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

LibCrusher posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Get him guys. We found the driver who creeps to the end of the on-ramp, stops, and then tries to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 5 feet.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Anyone that's ever gotten on the old section of the 110 in Highland Park just north of downtown LA knows the importance of 0-60.

Every onramp is like this in that section.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's been years since I've driven through this intersection in Worcester, MA but acceleration helps in this traffic light-free intersection:

Maybe they've installed lights since I was a youngin', but it was hell and a source of tons of accidents.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Sab669 posted:

Well you see if you rev it too high then you'll break up the carbon buildup, which is filling in space in the cylinder and therefore increasing your compression ratio. So really you are decreasing the performance by using the engine as intended and oh dear I've gone cross-eyed.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Italian Tuneups are cool and good.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I like it when the car makes the pushy feeling.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Italian Tuneups are cool and good.

That and German brake jobs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sab669 posted:

We have an Opel Corsa rental car right now, and I'm seriously impressed by the little 85hp 1.4L 4-banger in it. It'll happily tick along at 50kph at like 1200rpm, smooth as can be and still accelerate just fine from there. Not exactly blistering acceleration of course, but it'll do it smoothly and untroubled. My 2.2L Peugeot 406 couldn't even do that without getting the shakes. It'll also rev to 6.5K very eagerly if that's what you want. Modern engines, man.

Maybe it's just the ridiculous contrast from the Mitsubishi Mirage/Space Star I just drove for 1½ weeks in Germancy, but that little Corsa is just a pleasure to drive.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 25, 2020

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ultimate Mango posted:

That and German brake jobs.

Wait until you hear about the French and the Greek

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

We have an Opel Corsa rental car right now, and I'm seriously impressed by the little 85hp 1.4L 4-banger in it. It'll happily tick along at 50kph at like 1200rpm, smooth as can be and still accelerate just fine from there. Not exactly blistering acceleration of course, but it'll do it smoothly and untroubled. My 2.2L Peugeot 406 couldn't even do that without getting the shakes. It'll also rev to 6.5K very eagerly if that's what you want. Modern engines, man.

Maybe it's just the ridiculous contrast from the Mitsubishi Mirage/Space Star I just drove for 1½ weeks in Germancy, but that little Corsa is just a pleasure to drive.

At this point I'm not sure if you're just trolling us. Any car that can't smoothly drive at and accelerate from 30 mph that isn't more than 50 years old should probably be crushed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

At this point I'm not sure if you're just trolling us. Any car that can't smoothly drive at and accelerate from 30 mph that isn't more than 50 years old should probably be crushed.

The Mitsubishi sure as hell couldn't accelerate from 50kph in top gear. It could barely accelerate in 4th from that speed, and just forget about it on any kind of incline. The Renault Captur I had before that would do it, but only very reluctantly and very much lugging the engine. It's been a common characteristic of every small car I've ever driven. Neither have the 3-cylinder Corsa, the Opel Grandland X, the Hyundai i20, the Peugeot 208 nor the Citroën C3 I've had as rental cars recently.

I've driven diesels that lugged at 1000rpm in top gear, so I dunno, maybe you've only driven torque monsters?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 25, 2020

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Assuming a little tolerance for hyperbole, this matches my recollection. My first couple cars would have been pretty pathetic in top gear at 30mph. They might have accelerated but they'd have done it in a slow, groaning, unpleasant way.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

why are you accelerating in high gear :psyduck:

KozmoNaut posted:

The Mitsubishi sure as hell couldn't accelerate from 50kph in top gear. It could barely accelerate in 4th from that speed, and just forget about it on any kind of incline. The Renault Captur I had before that would do it, but only very reluctantly and very much lugging the engine. It's been a common characteristic of every small car I've ever driven. Neither have the 3-cylinder Corsa, the Opel Grandland X, the Hyundai i20, the Peugeot 208 nor the Citroën C3 I've had as rental cars recently.

I've driven diesels that lugged at 1000rpm in top gear, so I dunno, maybe you've only driven torque monsters?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Skipopatomus posted:

This. Top gear in cars is generally for fuel efficient highway cruising, not accelerating out of a school zone. Even at 400+ horsepower, my Mustang struggles to accelerate under 45mph in 6th.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Skipopatomus posted:

"Accelerating" as in "lightly increasing pressure on the accelerator to sedately go from 50 to 70kph".

The economy indicator arrows suggest 5th gear at 50kph, and I was merely surprised at how butter smooth it was.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

The Mitsubishi sure as hell couldn't accelerate from 50kph in top gear. It could barely accelerate in 4th from that speed, and just forget about it on any kind of incline.

:gonk:

You know this can cause a small turbo engine to go boom, right?

KozmoNaut posted:

"Accelerating" as in "lightly increasing pressure on the accelerator to sedately go from 50 to 70kph".

The economy indicator arrows suggest 5th gear at 50kph, and I was merely surprised at how butter smooth it was.

So you're saying it doesn't accelerate when you don't press the pedal hard? Really? Also, the economy indicators are for maintaining speed. You need to downshift when you accelerate. You should be in second or third depending on your gearing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

small displacement small turbocharger engines are pretty cool but you should take care not to lug them too much

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Rental Versas should be crushed :agreed:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

:gonk:

You know this can cause a small turbo engine to go boom, right?

I've been driving small-displacement manual cars for 17 years, you know ;)

Heavy throttle at low revs is especially bad for small displacement turbo engines, and I never do that on any engine anyway.

These are all naturally-aspirated engines (85hp from a 1.4L turbo four would be kinda sad), plus I use quite light throttle inputs at low revs, especially in higher gears. Even in lower gears I feed in the throttle instead of treating it like an on/off switch.

All y'all seem hell-bent on passing judgment on my driving skills from a few misunderstood sentences.

quote:

So you're saying it doesn't accelerate when you don't press the pedal hard? Really? Also, the economy indicators are for maintaining speed. You need to downshift when you accelerate. You should be in second or third depending on your gearing.

It's perfectly fine to use a small bit of extra throttle input to slightly increase speed as you're tootling along from a 50kph zone to a 60 or 70kph zone, as long as you're not bogging the engine. Obviously you downshift if you need to accelerate sharply, but not every acceleration needs to be full-tilt.

There's no need to downshift into 3rd or 2nd to sedately add a bit of speed when <5% additional throttle input will do it just fine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

small displacement small turbocharger engines are pretty cool but you should take care not to lug them too much

It's just basic mechanical sympathy, you can feel when an engine isn't happy and struggles to do what you ask it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 25, 2020

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

KozmoNaut posted:

but not every acceleration needs to be full-tilt.

Uhh :mods:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

borkencode posted:

Rental Versas should be crushed :agreed:

Yes. With the engineers responsible for them inside.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

but not every acceleration needs to be full-tilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZrRkD9Roms

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The only acceptable light use of the go pedal is like me this morning babying the car with the tank on empty so I can get to work before filling the tank because lazy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The only acceptable light use of the go pedal is like me this morning babying the car with the tank on empty so I can get to work before filling the tank because lazy.

Or to avoid braking as much as possible because one of the pads is gone

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

The Mitsubishi...

...should probably be crushed.

I rest my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Cars are going to be so much cooler and better once there's an energy storage solution that's at least an order of magnitude more energy dense and/or faster to recharge than current battery technology, too bad we'll all be either dead or just plain old as poo poo by then