Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Is there a good audiobook version of Anaïs Nin's diaries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just paid 95€ for a second-hand copy of the first edition of the third volume of the Finnish translation of "Dune". I don't even like Dune, but I got the first volume as a kid and wanted the two other books in the same format so I could finish the story and it'd look nice on the shelf.

Now I just feel really stupid, because I am.

E: also got an unabridged translation of Don Quijote.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Don Quixote is fuckin incredible and it's something that might have been published today, it's basically modern.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is there a recommended translation these days?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm a big fan of the Oxford World Classics edition, which thoroughly revises the Jervas/"Jarvis" translation from 1742. Here are some good comparisons of others.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Currently reading book two of Cormac McCarthy's Mexicans Are Just The Worst trilogy.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Tell us more

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

fauna posted:

"NEWSFLASH IT'S OKAY TO LIKE THINGS" because "any criticism of my media is an attack on me personally and must be stopped"

he literally posted a image of an asian girl looking slightly silly in logan for a frame as an "example" of logan having bad camerawork. his criticism can and should be read as literally loving with people for the sake of loving with people.

like half of his posts in the old undertale thread were just him saying "bad fanart is bad" or "hahaha people are crying at undertale fan works". no explaination for WHY that's bad, WHY it's wrong to cry at things made to provoke emotions, or WHY takes like "undertale's genocide ending is the only good ending to undertale" are good beyond pretentious over use of the thesaurist.

He got banned for loving harassing a guy for liking action figures man, it isn't about "not liking things" it's about using pretentious middle grade media analysis as an excuse to harass people.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Oh for gently caress's sake

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheNamedSavior posted:

Why the gently caress are you responding to a post from 2019 that I told people to stop talking about back in 2019

Second thought: don't answer that, also don't post about anything that isn't a book

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Oh and he literally accused a dude who was involved in a dnd school program of being a pedo.

He was, and never will be, a good critic. He relayed way too loving often on direct attacks on people's character for the sake of "hahaha cringe" and called using things like "i think" in your sentence "weak".

loving any other site would see that he was obviously a loving troll. And I know I'm gonna be called out for this, so to stress...No, it's not because I disagree with his takes. There are others who shared his views who phrased them in much less pretentious ways. It's because he clearly used bad faith arguments and confused (?) concern trolling with "media criticism". I don't see how making fun of people for crying at undertale comics makes your point about the Genocide run better. If, say, Marx wanted to make a essay about pride and prejudice being borgo propaganda, he wouldn't put images of impassioned fan letters people sent to Jane Austen in his essay and go like "hahaha look at how stupid they are, and look at this bad drawing of Austin where her eyes are slightly bigger than her nose, hahaha".

Actually, it's more like if Marx went into the middle of a shopping district and starting laughing at loud at the people buying bread for thinking they can have ethical consumption under capitalism. It's almost like Something Awful is a public forum and people are expected to have proper etiquette and not make lame one sentence posts that are just like "stop playing with toys" and "lmao bad art." loving why bother. Marx knew that the best way to get people's attention was to not be a loving dick about it. Bravest, meanwhile, thought it was important to their pro-genocide essay to point out it's funny when people cry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why the gently caress are you responding to a post from 2019 that I told people to stop talking about back in 2019

Second thought: don't answer that, also don't post about anything that isn't a book

Ban his followers.

(I kid, the true answer is i don't know. Uh. I guess Morte De Arthur is kinda cool?)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

loving Billy Pilgrim over here. Homie you know what year it is

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I know the pandemic years feel a bit like a dream but

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I read a book today. 📙

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I finished another "this book is never getting a ebook release" for personal usage only e-book conversion project this week.
George L Herter was a gloriously oddball know-it-all, no matter the subject matter.
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/books/review/Collins-t.html

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Anyone else used to read John Bellairs books as a kid? He was this guy who mostly wrote gothic horror YA novels (seriously) set in post-war America. He’s probably best known for “A House with a Clock in its Walls” because it was recently adapted into a major Hollywood film starring Jack Black. It actually wasn’t that bad a film, but it didn’t really quite capture the strange, offbeat charm of the novel. For instance, in the novel the main character is an 11-year-old boy named Lewis Barnavelt who is *truly* a loser - he’s fat, sensitive, shy, awkward, and hopelessly nerdy - in the movie he’s mostly just adorably nerdy.

I was a much bigger fan of another series of similar books he wrote starring a protagonist named Johnny Dixon, set in New England - as I was from Maine and several of these books were set in places I was familiar with, I connected more with these books, and was really thrilled to see the first Johnny Dixon book (“The Curse of the Blue Figurine” which was also the first chapter book I ever bought and read entirely by myself at age 9) get an audiobook release on Audible, with subsequent Johnny Dixon books to come out every month.

I hadn’t thought about that book (let alone read it) in at least 25 years, so I listened to it a few days ago. I have to admit that I was pretty blown away at just how subversive a lot of it seemed to me, as an adult. It has to do with the ghost of a heretical and murderous Catholic priest who harasses and attempts to possess an innocent boy :stare: Then there’s the main character’s friendship with Professor Childermass, which continues through the series - he’s a lonely old unmarried intellectual who befriends Johnny (who happens to be an ostensible orphan living with his grandparents) and proceeds to spoil him with games and sweets, and takes him on expensive trips all the time. Yikes.

The Lewis Barnavelt books (and the movie) are full of barely veiled queerness I utterly failed to pick up on as a child, too. I do have a much better understanding of why as a kid I related to these books featuring shy and sensitive boy protagonists who barely had friends, didn’t fit in at school, and failed to live up to masculine expectations/norms.

Raudedauden
Jun 18, 2005
I only read The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull but I remember it creeping me out a lot as a kid. Even the cover gave me creeps.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m reading a paperback from 1963 and everything I open it another piece of the cover cracks and falls off.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Speaking of translations, is there any strong opinions for the translations of War and Peace?

I've looked up initial passages for some and I'm leaning toward the Penguin Anthony Briggs one for ease of reading; some french here and there is fine where I can usually get the general idea from surrounding context, but long passages where I'd have to interrupt the flow of reading for translated footnotes feels like it would be a less than ideal way for me to read it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I recommend the Ann Dunnigan translation (published by Signet) in your case. The Briggs version isn't bad but is so liberal a translation that I'd suggest it only if you can't get into the Dunnigan.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Raudedauden posted:

I only read The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull but I remember it creeping me out a lot as a kid. Even the cover gave me creeps.

gently caress, that's the guy who wrote The Eyes of the Killer Robot! I read that as a kid and it gave me no-poo poo nightmares.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Bellairs books were legitimately loving creepy! Both “The Spell of the Sorcerer’s Skull” and “The Eyes of the Killer Robot” were Johnny Dixon stories, and I probably read each book in that series no less than two dozen times as a kid. They’re both coming out this summer/fall on Audible, which I’m fairly excited about.

And yeah Bellairs books were no-poo poo VERY goddamn creepy - as well as quirky and bizarre. But undeniably macabre with images that stick with you! Eyes of the Killer Robot is about this crazy baseball pitching android that gets invented by some crazy guy into black magic, and he powers the thing with human eyes plucked out of a guy’s head. I just remember a scene where the main character sees a ghost of this person, weeping blood from empty sockets and moaning “HE TOOK MY EYES!!l”. Yeah perfectly appropriate bedtime reading for children!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I recommend the Ann Dunnigan translation (published by Signet) in your case. The Briggs version isn't bad but is so liberal a translation that I'd suggest it only if you can't get into the Dunnigan.

I checked on this one and I am liking what I’m reading better, I’ll continue with it. Thanks! :cheers:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Whatever floats your boat, that's what's important. Happy reading!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TheNamedSavior posted:

Oh and he literally accused a dude who was involved in a dnd school program of being a pedo.

He was, and never will be, a good critic. He relayed way too loving often on direct attacks on people's character for the sake of "hahaha cringe" and called using things like "i think" in your sentence "weak".

loving any other site would see that he was obviously a loving troll. And I know I'm gonna be called out for this, so to stress...No, it's not because I disagree with his takes. There are others who shared his views who phrased them in much less pretentious ways. It's because he clearly used bad faith arguments and confused (?) concern trolling with "media criticism". I don't see how making fun of people for crying at undertale comics makes your point about the Genocide run better. If, say, Marx wanted to make a essay about pride and prejudice being borgo propaganda, he wouldn't put images of impassioned fan letters people sent to Jane Austen in his essay and go like "hahaha look at how stupid they are, and look at this bad drawing of Austin where her eyes are slightly bigger than her nose, hahaha".

Actually, it's more like if Marx went into the middle of a shopping district and starting laughing at loud at the people buying bread for thinking they can have ethical consumption under capitalism. It's almost like Something Awful is a public forum and people are expected to have proper etiquette and not make lame one sentence posts that are just like "stop playing with toys" and "lmao bad art." loving why bother. Marx knew that the best way to get people's attention was to not be a loving dick about it. Bravest, meanwhile, thought it was important to their pro-genocide essay to point out it's funny when people cry.

lol in general but especially the bit about how marx got people's attention by not being rude (?)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

TheNamedSavior posted:

:words:

literally who gives a poo poo

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

PlushCow posted:

Speaking of translations, is there any strong opinions for the translations of War and Peace?

I've looked up initial passages for some and I'm leaning toward the Penguin Anthony Briggs one for ease of reading; some french here and there is fine where I can usually get the general idea from surrounding context, but long passages where I'd have to interrupt the flow of reading for translated footnotes feels like it would be a less than ideal way for me to read it.

I read the (presumably old) one that's on project gutenberg and it was OK.
There's parts you can skip with Tolstoi's views on how Napoleon catching the flu could have changed the history of Russia (iirc, it's been twelve years since I read it), but they're so obviously separate that it's easy to tell you can you skip them.
Maybe a more modern translation would have translated more of the random snippets of French that are in the text, but like you, I could mostly understand those from context

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
John Bellairs books scared me greatly as a child.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's May and I'm browsing on-line bookshops for Yule presents (because it's the first time in IDKHM years I can afford to buy everyone something). You'd think that's mad but I've experienced Adlibris's shipping times before.

Anyway, reading the English translation of Kalpa Imperial on the bus, and it imperially pisses me off that they chose to do the gently caress-you thing where they don't provide translations for third-language quotes. Like if I'm too ignorant to read a book in Spanish how'd you figure I'd understand this Pascal quote in French, huh, huh, HUH?

(I'm fine with that in untranslated works, don't ask me why.)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Is there a name for the Dances with Wolves/Last Samurai/Avatar plotline? Where a member of a colonizing force fights against natives, but ends up living with them and learning their ways before joining them in the fight against the colonizers?

Edit: Lawrence of Arabia too, obviously, and Heart of Darkness/Apocalyse Now. And to some extent Waiting for the Barbarians. I know the trope is "going native," but is there a broader term? Like it seems so common it could almost be a sub-genre.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 5, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Eason the Fifth posted:

Is there a name for the Dances with Wolves/Last Samurai/Avatar plotline? Where a member of a colonizing force fights against natives, but ends up living with them and learning their ways before joining them in the fight against the colonizers?

"noble savage" + "white people are smart and capable" = "white savior"

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

Edit: Lawrence of Arabia too, obviously. And to some extent Waiting for the Barbarians. I know the trope is "going native," but is there a broader term? Like it seems so common it could almost be a sub-genre.

surely waiting for the barbarians is deliberately skewering that kind of plot though?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yep! That's part of my reading of WftB, anyway. It has a lot of the same themes that come with the premise (like colonialism, identity, and allegiance) but doesnt lead to an (often doomed) climactic battle like Dances with Wolves or Last Samurai. WftB came out in 1980 and Dances with Wolves wasn't until 1990, so WftB couldn't have been a response to them (although very likely it had a lot of influence from Lawrence of Arabia), but Coetzee certainly took the premise and did something unique with it. I should rewatch LoA and reread WftB to really see how those two stories cover similar themes.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 5, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Can someone point me towards good resources for college textbooks? I'm taking a summer course and the textbook is 98 goddamn dollars, so a more affordable option would be preferable.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Gripweed posted:

Can someone point me towards good resources for college textbooks? I'm taking a summer course and the textbook is 98 goddamn dollars, so a more affordable option would be preferable.

eBay. Look for international editions, they’ll have the same content.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

lifg posted:

eBay. Look for international editions, they’ll have the same content.

Oh no, by more affordable I meant, like, free.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

We're not supposed to discuss :filez: dude

Also depending on how poo poo your college is, even free books might not help because almost every class I took recently needed to use the textbook publisher's website to do homework so I had to pay like $80 for that even though I was renting the book.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Humerus posted:

We're not supposed to discuss :filez: dude

Also depending on how poo poo your college is, even free books might not help because almost every class I took recently needed to use the textbook publisher's website to do homework so I had to pay like $80 for that even though I was renting the book.

Yeah I've had textbooks with online components before, and every teacher who assigns on deserves all the suffering that will be their reward in hell. But this book doesn't have one, I just need to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The text of the book still counts as :filez: in this context.