Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

He was pretty great as Slagar the Cruel in the second season of Redwall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Vaerai Archon posted:

They posted the preview for Ponies season 2.

There's also a 20 second clip that introduces the bad guy that's up on the Hub's site.
It's their version of Mim the Dragon Queen called Dragonokis

http://www.hubworld.com/watch/1159708008001/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-clip-the-return-of-harmony-pt-1

More importantly he's voiced by John de Lancie and is quite literally Q.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Don't forget The Little Panda Fighter. (2008)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Oh common, we gave you Clone High and Undergrads, and... uh, Redwall? Like 10 years ago...

And oh yeah, that one show that gets a bad rap was also animated up here.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the terrible rule34 parts of the internet made SheZow.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

superkittenhugs posted:

That said, I was really let down by Phineas and Ferb. Now, to be fair I did just pick an episode at random on Youtube, so maybe it was just one of the worse offerings. I can't remember the title, but the first half involved the boys building a roller coaster, and the second part dealt with their sisters birthday at Mt.Rushmore. I found the platypus adorable when he was playing dumb, and there might have been a handful of moments that made me sort of smile. Overall though...it just seemed totally ordinary. Can anyone fill me in on if this episode was just a poor choice to introduce me to the show, or is this just not going to be something I can get into?

What you watched was the very first episode, so like most shows at that point it's still a bit rough around the edges.

I haven't watched the show in over a year, so I'm sure others can give their suggestions, but mine is It's About Time, if only for how they twist Doofenshmirtz and Perry's nemesis relationship.
Finding Mary McGuffin, Nerds of a Feather, Road Trip, and Dude, We're Getting the Band Back Together! were all pretty good as well.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Everything I know about the 70s comes from my dad's old MAD magazines. Parodies of Star Wars, Planet of the Apes, 2001, hippies, Nixon - it really was a ground-level window to the culture of the time.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

Baby steps, people. One of these days it's going to stick.

You guys act like The Tick cartoon doesn't exist.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

The creator of We Bare Bears just posted more from the pilot episode on his Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9GauLt09zo

I'd watch every episode if this was the theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVbBo6Re6jY

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Sockser posted:

E: yeah actually the more I watch the more this is definitely Toejam and Earl: the series

There's so many beats taken straight out of TJ&E

I don't remember much about TJ&E. Please enlighten me.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

I still don't see the connection to Duck, Buck, Goose

(I vaguely remember playing it at a friend's house; falling off an edge and losing three levels of progress.)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

A giant peanut is very curvy though.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Haha, wow, I didn't realize my Invader Zim house set was worth that much. This is like when I found out my Evangelion Platinum DVDs were worth a bunch too. Weird the kinda things that end up being rare.

Yeah I found that out too... the same week I gave them to Goodwill. :gonk:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

In memory of Little Richard, here's a clip from the best 90s kid show that doesn't get nearly enough love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER2q42APfII

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never saw that, but I recognize the green guy from ads. I think maybe it was on before I started watching on-air TV.

Bump In The Night started off as the commercial bumpers for ABC's Saturday morning cartoons before getting its own show in 1996.

If you enjoy stop-motion then I heartily recommend diving into it. (Likewise I'm going to check out The Trap Door)

Best eps:
All You Need Is Glove
Night Of The Living Bread
Party Poopers
Gum Crazy
Farewell 2 Arms
'Twas the Night Before Bumpy (The Christmas special)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Sockser posted:

Man, to be a kid in the 90s, see something on TV once, want more of it, and have no way to get any more of it. Week after week, you try to track down that weird claymation show with the green guy and the blue guy, but to no avail. You can't even remember the name of it. It's like it never existed. 23 years later, some rando on the internet just drops a bunch of YouTube links for you and it all comes flooding back.

Imagine living life like that.

It's a pleasure and fills my heart with joy to be that rando. :glomp:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

I watched Kipo season 1 and found it underwhelming. Kipo's character was annoying, some of the animation felt stilted and off-putting, and a lot of the jokes and running gags ("Yumyan owns you all!") fell flat. But the friendly rats and raccoons were kinda neat (Betsy Sodaro is always great), the Newton Wolves were fun, and the ep 9 reveal was probably the best part even if it didn't quite fit the tone of the rest of the show, and from then on during each "heartfelt" scene that had Wolf nearby all I could focus in on was that she's wearing the decapitated head of her mom as a hat.

Season 2 got downgraded to a "watch while high" show. And even in that state I couldn't help but notice that it was really dumb. Like, really dumb. Apparently Kipo is based off a webcomic and that 100% makes sense. It certainly feels like if you took a 2000's webcomic writer raised on anime and gave them a budget. Over-reliance on puns and running gags, tragic backstories, secret deus ex powers. Everything regarding the Mega Jaguar, the anti-mute squad and Kipo's parents secret fun-time experiments pioneering inter-species genetic engineering on their own unborn child was just... dumb.

And then S2E10 hit and it made it all worth it. It is a precious gem of stupidity. It's The Room of cartoons. A car filled with cliches crashing into a fireworks factory made of half-baked ideas.

(Spoiled but you should still hover over it, especially if you haven't watched Kipo and/or have no intention of doing so. Just try and make sense of it.)

The whole episode had me laughing harder than I had in a long while and I wish that joy on everyone. I have no idea if it's better with or without the context of the rest of the series, or if it's even worth that investment, but it was the best outcome I could have hoped for. God bless this trash.

---

That said, anyone who liked Kipo should check out HILDA on Netflix. It has the same wondrous creature/culture of the week theme and also features an energetic, inquisitive, pacifist, fish-out-of-water main character. The animation is gorgeous and charming as gently caress.

Also, I never got around to watching any of the Kung Fu Panda series so I spent the weekend doing that and the DTV Secrets of the Scroll stood out as surprisingly great. Superb animation plus unfairly adorable character designs. Master Shifu is a huge dick. It's well worth the 20min.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There was a time when I would have been incredibly excited to see Korra on Netflix. But, over the last five years, I've really soured on it. While I believe that a large part of it is that Bolin and Mako being terrible characters, it's also true that I simply cannot ignore its politics. This video series does a really good job of explaining things, though I disagree with part of their interpretation of Book 4.
TLDR: Korra is peak liberalism.

Wait, one of the bad guys is a white-masked counter-culture guy named "Amon"? Are you loving kidding me?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

MorningMoon posted:

To answer the last one: kinda, yeah lol. I think canada is a bit ahead, but for netflix the next twelve drop on sep 11. The dub is effectively half a year behind.

The only remake movie is mewtwo strikes back evolution. The only good one in the lasr 10 years is "power of us"

Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution is not very good (OG english dub 4evar) but the ending song is legit fantastic and far better than the movie deserves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ykA1ZUC1Y

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/DkunDX/status/1400283390184759301

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

I thought Kipo S1 was fine. Bad humour but the animation was good (sometimes great!) and the music was fantastic. Characters were flat but not an issue.

S2 was really, really dumb, but that actually made the show better. S2 finale was the high-point of the series.

S3 was... dull. They mostly stop visiting colourful new places and meeting colourful new people, and instead it becomes a second-rate Redwall. The animation budget also dries up (the jaguar often looks baaaaaad). Surprisingly, the humour actually improved and I laughed out loud a few times. While not enough, the solution to getting through the killer ivy and the final boss delivered the stupidity that I craved. The music remained top-tier throughout.*

*(Except for the main title theme which is just M.I.A.'s Paper Planes. :ssh:)

Overall I found Kipo kinda forgettable and had a much better experience when I moved onto S5 of Teen Titans Go.

For real though, the closest comparison to Kipo is Hilda, and while less diverse POC/LGBT-wise, it's the better show in almost every other way (even coming close on the music front - the Hilda episode ending with Orville Peck is sublime).

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

I don’t really know anything about He-Man from the 80s show, so is there a recap video on YouTube or should I go into the new show blind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyyTzkktjsI

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

recently watched through all the seasons of infinity train. it was incredibly good. is there anything else remotely like it?

Over The Garden Wall and Primal?

Two prestige cartoons that you can't go wrong with.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

(Minor Centaurworld spoilers:)

Feeling good about my life choices.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

HelleSpud posted:

Yeah, that whole your body is being forcibly changed into something you don't want - you should stop complaining. Made me really uncomfortable

It's a puberty metaphor. :ssh:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Edit: I couldn't find the right words for this and not happy with it, so I'm taking it down.

Come And See fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 19, 2021

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

Friend of mine recommended Centaurworld on Netflix, said it hit feelings like Adventure Time. I watched the first episode and thought the characters were annoying as gently caress, which seems to be the point. Does this show get better? Seems like "lol random" humor which doesn't really do it for me.

It's a show that gets better and better with each episode. Unfortunately that means the first episode is the worst.

I recently ran into the same problem as your friend. I gushed and gushed about how great this show is and started rewatching it with him, and realized that my review and recommendations didn't align with episodes 1 & 2 alone. I was speaking with the benefit of knowing the full package, and yet the side characters don't even begin to be fleshed out until ep 3.

Stick with it. Ep 2 in particular has a fantastic sequence.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Also for the first half it builds upon Horse's perspective that the centaurs are terminally dumb and, more importantly, weak.

Then once Horse becomes more like them, their personalities and emotional struggles are fleshed out and they're presented as far more competent (though still very silly).

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

:siren:Major MAJOR spoilers but my favourite bit of animation:siren:

Season 2 tomorrow baby!

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

The Becky Apples/Jeffica hate song was the best original of S2, followed by the Trash-taur segment from the Hootenanny.

S1's music was much stronger overall since it flexed its muscles with a bunch of different distinct genres and styles.
Outside of the movie-length finale, it did feel rushed and went from a full-on musical to a cartoon that happened to have songs every now and then.

I might be a simple man but I prefer my clever rhymes and didn't care for the songs that were mostly just sing-talking. Though not as bad, the disappointment reminded me of when I once thought "the main song from Phantom of the Opera is pretty good, maybe the rest is good too" and lol no

That said, S2 was only a disappointment (again, until the finale pops off) compared to S1. It was still better than Kipo or Owl House or whatever and totally worth watching and celebrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ha4NPV8fs (from Netflix's official youtube)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

TwoPair posted:

There has perhaps never been a better time capsule for 2002

See you and raise, courtesy of the PYF webcomic thread:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Lotta spoilers today huh

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Larryb posted:

Oh sorry, I figured since the episode in question was about a year old at this point it’d be ok. I’ll go back and tag it properly

We good. I'd be caught up but the most recent seasons of shows haven't hit streaming yet.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Now's a good time to watch this ep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSPOBqumjps

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

These were posted earlier in the thread if you haven't checked them out yet (I'm only half-way though, they're quite good!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z57_2T_WIuA&list=PLcROlJp65glTO1Z7tugNPpxiKXqQbDbdQ

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Covok posted:

I am honestly thinking about it and I don't think I've ever seen a film that depicted India as an imperial power. Probably because they were victims of imperialism, not imperialists. At least to my knowledge. Bet someone is about to explain something about India history that I didn't know. But, still, it does seem off to have your imperial empire be cast by descendants of victims of imperialism.

The recent rise of Hindutva nationalism is a pretty ugly thing so that aspect might age "better" unfortunately.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Just another reminder for anyone who hasn't seen it, 'The Merrie History of Looney Tunes' is a fantastic youtube series on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z57_2T_WIuA

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Another huge aspect of 90s culture is the mass adoption of the family computer and the Internet (and all the many many instructional VHSs on use and safety).

And Napster.

:filez: expanded access to art in quantities, variety, convenience and affordability (free) never before imagined. That had a huge impact on a young generation that could, without getting a job or saving up their allowance, explore and experiment and seek out the media of their choosing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Flapjack was golden, I will slap you down.

also