Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh are we talking about lovely things done to Scooby Doo?

What about the one where Scooby and Shaggy eat nanite Scooby snax and are pursued by an evil inventor uncle.

Also Scooby becomes a mech sometimes??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Gladney posted:

I wonder what it will feel like to be on the team that finally killed the Scooby-Doo franchise?
I'd say let's interview the team behind 'Shaggy and Scooby Doo Get a Clue?' To find out, but everyone still seems to be suffering from the amnesia spell that the last episode spread across the world.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

raditts posted:

The ending clearly set it up for more, though. I was hoping that if they made a new series it would be a direct continuation.

I kind of liked how the implication was that the road trip at the end of MI is what the original Scooby Doo Where Are You? chronicles

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Gladney posted:

For a show featuring a kid protagonist, it always gave me this sense of hopelessness that the other Batman shows never did. Like, Bruce ends up miserable and alone, and he couldn't stop the bad guys from taking over his company and the city. And even though he's got this clever kid with a good heart helping him, he's so frail and old and vulnerable that he could drop dead or get committed at any minute.
It's quite admirable that they made it the future of the DCAU, and not a cast-off elseworlds thing.

I always kind of felt that the rest of the world was faring a little better, but Gotham being Gotham, it was worn down, kept vibrant by technology, but overrun with corporate greed and poo poo. A nice way to reflect Bruce's life maybe.

Batman Beyond is worth it for the Batman! musical alone.

In terms of bodycount, when Terry drops the safeword on a gang of cyber-augmented droogs, turning them into quadruple amputees and poo poo was pretty rough.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaunab posted:

I thought the message was don't play around when it comes to altering your DNA. Or don't treat scientific break throughs like a fad.
No kidding. I'm pretty sure it was a story that boiled down to 'don't make irreversible changes to your body you may regret in the name of hip trendz'.

Like pierce your hip.
Or gauge the gently caress out of your ears.
Or get a dumbfuck tattoo.

I mean it can easily be interpreted as don't get too caught up in fads and lose yourself, too.

Its not exactly a 'loving conservative dipshit OLDs' plot the way that one guy sperged out about.

Also, a lot of the fun of Beyond is watching Terry navigate holoraves and credchits and proton burgers... In contrast to old fuddy duddy Bruce Wayne that sits in his dusty old mansion yelling at kidz to quit riding nucleoscooters all over his hyperlanes. The politics are semi conservative due to that.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 25, 2014

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Acquire Currency! posted:

But I support Gambino in whatever he does.
Dude has some weird Twitter meltdowns every now and then. :gonk:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Gladney posted:

There aren't any more saturday-morning cartoons, are there? That makes me very sad for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

Welcome to the death of your childhood. Or a tangible disconnect between your past and your present.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

Huh. I was wondering how that show would turn out. Seemed a little too gimmicky and trying to appeal to now grown up fans of Boy Meets World by saying "Hey here's more of that thing you like", but I'm glad to hear that it's apparently good all on its own.
Their little comedy sidekick character, Farkle, is fun.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The animation on that was pretty bad... But it's more Rainbow Brite.

Hopefully we'll get a goth kid around to round out her supporting cast.

thelaughingman posted:

Here is a preview for Over the garden wall.
Ok does EVERY CN show have to revolve around music now?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Manofmanusernames posted:

Any body remember this gem?
Ultimate Muscle was decent in terms of shovelware animu.

But FoxBox was Fox going whole hog after their original 90s era SatAM closed shop. UM, new TMNT, Ultraman Tiga...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Crabtree posted:

It's called getting old. People start to either misremember and/or idolize times when they were younger or never experienced.

Yeah. Like now that we're old enough we can buy all the power gloves and Ninja Turtle shitbwe wanted as 6 year olds.

Also, a lot of that nostalgia wave comes from people being like 5 during the 80a AMD using video cameras, walkmen, laser tag getups or video game consoles for the first time.

poo poo like the fashion or politics or economy are way, way, way behind making a reference to this awesome new movie, RoboCop or whatever the gently caress.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gargoyles actually had, like, meaningful continuity.

My kidbrain was blown to bits when they actually went into Owen's background.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

I'll honestly never get why some people are/were so gung ho about YJ being so great. I found it alright to mediocre (though very pretty I'll admit).
It filled a niche that was lacking (though the ThunderCats reboot also tried) and was chock full of DC goodness. I actually enjoyed the teen drama in S1, and the long-term storytelling was nice. At the least, giving Supes reluctancy to accept Kon was a nice take.

If anything sucked it was the constant "Yes, it SEEMS like we've been dealt a loss, but now our even more secret more shadowy cabal has free reign! Everything's coming up The Light!".

And SpinerJoker.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

raditts posted:

The Genndy Clone Wars miniseries was better than the actual movies deserved.
Jedi Power Creep was cray cray, but the cinematic style of the shorts definitely made the thing work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neo Helbeast posted:

They weren't two parters when they aired, they were a full hour long single episode.
I'm pretty sure they were hour long episodes built as having a Part 1 and a Part 2. Back when Stereo and Widescreen were important enough to have a catchbug before the show started.

Nope, I'm an idiot.

The Timmroid bodystyle was also a compromise meant to simplify animation and help everything stay on model. Watch how things fluctuate in S1/S2 of BtAS, especially with Joker. That's also what prompted the Gotham Knights redo of all the characters.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 31, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OldTennisCourt posted:

Flame Princess was when the show started with the weird relationship drama right?
There was also that one where Finn found little doll versions of himself and his friends and went all Homestuck Poopsocker on 'em.

That was... disturbing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
As Told by Ginger is basically the Meg Griffin show, except Meg is better looking that anything in Ginger.

Plus wasn't it like Tween drama in 2002? Will they Doug 2.0 it and she'll be in (gasp) HIGH SCHOOL? Or College?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

raditts posted:

Was there a Klasky show that was not horribly rear end-ugly?
The Simpsons S2?
Technically DuckMan?

CK was really good at non-humans. It's when they tried to do Thornberries/Ginger that the design was off the rails.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

HorseRenoir posted:

Dude still won't talk about plot points because he doesn't want to "spoil" his big seven-season plan that will totally happen you guys for real.
Turns out a shadowy figure will whisper 'Yes. all according to The Light's plan...'
I'd be pretty pleased if the light was really just an Earth-3 version of the Teen Titans, or some alternate timeline grimdark version of themselves.

Dude should just pitch it as a DC digital. 15 pages would cut a bunch of useless crap, and as long as it does mediocre it won't be shitcanned.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Man, I didn't care about Young Justice, the bad CG Batman cartoon, or even TTGO. But the number one thing lost from DC Nation going defunct was all the various shorts they put out. Hell, I bet they could have lasted another couple of years if they greenlit full series based on:

-Video Game Amythest, Princess of Gem World
-Lauren Faust's Super Best Friends Forever
Amethyst had a conclusion, unfortunately. It was a really awesome show, but just shy of riding the Steven Universe/Puppycat/Star Vs. The Forces of Evil wave of animation.

SBFF should have been made into something bigger, that much is true. The ALL DIFFERENT, ALL GIRLY DC comics line that just started is eye-gougingly bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

Sealab and Space Ghost at least have the excuse of using old cels from bad Hanna-Barbera shows and probably not a lot of money.
At the same time, you have to give them credit for using those old cells and animating them in Premiere/Flash or whatever.

They were really trailblazers in that respect.
Sgc2C largely just reused the cels from the original.

Also, I think the rash of super failed Adult Animation series' from the mid/late 90s proved that good animation is a costly trade-off for a product that will perform poorly (but may result in a committed fanbase, as with Mission Hills).

What's the best Adultman's cartoon currently on TV? Bob's Burgers???

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 6, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Y-Hat posted:

It's a head-scratcher as to why, it's an iconic AS series that's been around almost since its start and it's inexpensive to make. I'll just chalk it up to "Mike Lazzo is an idiot."
Did anyone really keep watching it after the Movie? They took such a hiatus making that, I just lost interest.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Gladney posted:

Wasn't Funky Phantom revealed to be a murderer or something too? That's bullshit.
Just an out of work actor that was napping in a clock or something and ran with it when the kids thought they found a ghost from the Revolutionary War.

He's no Ghostwriter to be sure.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MrSlam posted:

The difference being one is possibly a senior in high school and the other two are possibly in first grade :gonk:
Well, just think back to how those 50s Sock Hops had old biddies walking around with rulers to measure hemlines and to maintain the adequate Jesus Distance between two barely-touching highschoolers.

Things change, man. When I was but a boy Daggering was a wholesome, clean way of dancing. Now look at them kids...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

To change topic: What's your guy's opinions of the old 80's-early 00's trend of giving every remotely popular movie a cartoon, regardless of the film's original target audience?
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was arguably a Good Fun Series. And you have to love the RoboCop cartoon because it completely loving missed the point of the original (Just pretend it's based on the Robo2.0 version that gets pussified-by-committee in R2).

The 90s sequel trend (Let's give cartoons to Comic Series!) was also fun. Nothing like WildCATS and UltraForce receiving super toned down X-Men ripoff treatments!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 14, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Whoah. You posted those but not the Robonic Stooges, Gary Coleman's Angel cartoon, Ed Grimley, Punky Brewster, or the Super Globetrotters?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I'm shocked anyone else remembers the cartoon Where's Waldo.
I remember it being a fun way to kill 30 minutes while I waited for something better to come into the rotation.

Kind of like the BttF cartoon.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Also how long until we stop getting Regular Show knock-offs?
They're going to try and mine that vein for a while, until someone watches the Nth pilot where 'Cool but kind of a Loser Protagonist A' dusts off a BETAmax and they say "Haven't I seen this like twice on Regular Show??"

Like, unless you have a poo poo My Dad Says/Wonder Years retrospective cartoon, the idea of awesome retro poo poo that reminds you of real 80s poo poo is so Regular Show now that everything else is an imitation.

Also, assuming we don't crash economically any time soon, we're due for late 90s/Millenarian retro nostalgia by 2020. Guest voices by Joey Fatone, characters with frosted tips, playing CD based games on their FunStation 68...

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 4, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Trebuchet King posted:

Oh wow the...lighting, I guess, in Mysteries Incorporated is totally killer. It's just nuts what it does for everything!
The texture work in the intro is pretty badass as well. Great art direction to that whole series.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lady Legasus was sure something. Probably one of the early indicators I'd like the new direction.

In other news today I remembered that, in addition to the RoboCop, Mortal Kombat, UltraForce and WildC.A.T.S. cartoons, Savage Dragon was given the "poo poo That Probably Shouldn't Be Animated But What The gently caress It's Popular With The Kids" treatment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PicklePants posted:

Don't forget The Toxic Crusaders.
I lump that in with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Fox was trying to start up FoxKids and I guess the Troma properties were a cheap grab?

Toxic Crusaders was syndicated, though.

Oh, there was a Swamp Thing series right? Or some limited series kind of thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JT Smiley posted:

So, I finally got around to watching the second season of Gravity Falls thanks to Hulu. I couldn't help but notice that the last episode aired months after the one that proceed it, that's awful!
You didn't notice the year-and-a-half hiatus between season one and two?

Watching that show was pretty painful, but the great animation and story made it so worth it. Shame that it burned out Hirsch while doing so.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

the film didn't seem like anything of a cultural landmark for my generation.
Evolution was pretty hyped, as I remember a lot of bus ads and such with the 3-eyed smiley face. I remember it feeling like a MiB ripoff, but that was 4 years after MiB was released.

It didn't do so hot. Just kind of landed with a wet thud.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 10, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TwoPair posted:

I don't know what changes have been made but the risque stuff has always been fairly obvious like "soda" being code for booze.
I'm pretty sure that's what Wings/Wingsauce are for Benson right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Arguably they have enough shows where semi-regular bombage is possible...

But with them giving RS/Gumball the axe, well, I guess I hope Magiswords spawns some hits?

I think the execs see this as the best viable path to keeping eyeballs away from streaming secondhand. Because the concept of a weekly schedule that makes sense hasn't been a thing since streaming started.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Gladney posted:

Harlan Ellison was God or something in the end.
Harlan was given able to perceive changes in the dimensional fabric of the Mystery Inc universe. Because he's a super awesome and creative writer.

Whether this elevated him to a Galactus-level being, or a god... well that's up to you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Gladney posted:

Doesn't he talk to them over their radio and tell them their destiny?
He kind of says "a dimensional apocalypse has remade your world, and only we are the survivors. Of course, I could intuit all of this happening because I am attuned to changes in reality due to my extensive works, so I also slipped into this brave unknown :smug: Who knows what eldritch horrors leaked through the dimensional collapse! Get your rear end to Mars my Theoretical Physics class at Miskatonik U! You can probably kill some time during the road trip solving mysteries, too!"

Which was a cool way of tying MI into the original Scooby Doo episodes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xelkelvos posted:

Also Flim Flam and Scrappy were made canon in some way. Pup was the only one not to have any reference.
I could have sworn there was a flashback bit and the gang was Pupitized.

I'm not sure, but was the museum stuff that the kids had solved, or stuff that the previous Group Of Mystery Solvers experienced and debunked?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They not only managed to make Harlan sound like a normal, not-the-hate-midget-from Inside Out kind of guy, but as far as I can tell he hasn't issued an overly complicated diss track about how MI was complicit in the lobotomization of American Speculative Fiction via the inbred mongoloid funguses that comprised their "Writing" staff.

Which is about the highest loving praise I can imagine coming from the guy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xelkelvos posted:

Velma knew the identities and the details of each of the unmasked when telling the tour group (which featured an unnamed Don Knotts parody) about the "monsters"

Right right! Totally blanked on that.

Now I remember it's why the sheriff was so antagonistic towards them, as they'd debunked a lot of stuff that would have made Crystal Cove a popular tourist trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Speaking of GI Joetalk, anyone remember the gritty tactireal softboot webisode miniseries that was released in like 2009? The one where Storm Shadow and Snakeyes fight to the death and they kill Hawk and nuke the command carrier or something?

That was one weird series. Like some Ritalin addled GI Fan grew up and said 'lets make it just like the cheesy show I grew up watching but add BLOODTITS KILLSPLODING :kheldragar:

Surprised they didn't try for a GI Joe show to accompany Rise of Cobra. Or a GI Joe Xtreme sequel.