Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I've been eyeballing the XC70 recently. I'm driving an 07 Saturn ION right now with 61k on the clock that's already had struts, shocks, springs, sway bar links, steering shaft, wheel hubs, and as a topper the A/C blew out all its Freon somewhere under the dash I haven't yet found. I don't really enjoy this car but it's been .... somewhat reliable. Sort of. I want to get something with more room, and started looking at CUVs, and finally figured that the XC70 not only has plenty of room, but quality interior, T6 seems fun, and I do like that interior rack system for bikes and that. Hunting for one of these has really been an exercise, they crop up rarely and when they do they have 100k on the clock, they're 35,000$, or they're 300 miles away. While I'm waiting I figured I'd ask the brick boys here: If I grab a P3, is this going to be reliable for owning it for 10 years? It looks like service parts and pieces are going to be somewhat more expensive than the Garbage Motors I'm driving now, but hopefully it will need less of them. These seem to hold up really well given the salt we barf on the roads for half the year, that's a plus.

It looks like if I can find one that's like a CPO 2011+, I can find a good value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

There were transmission issues on some, there is some discussion on swedespeed. Mostly that surrounded the T6 from what I recall reading. Like you, just doing research myself.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

the spyder posted:

So I've been drooling over a 2015.5 Volvo XC60 R-Design in Ocean Blue. It's more then I should spend, but it's got everything I want. Anyone own/have feedback on one? For some reason I've always liked the v50/60 and XC60 and keep coming across them. Thanks!

I purchased a used 2012 XC60 with about 50kmi on the clock just a couple of months ago, so I haven't been able to put it through its paces in the winter proper yet. This replaced a Saturn ION, which replaced a Grand Marquis, which replaced my Mazdaspeed6. I can't answer too many Volvo comparison questions about this vehicle.

My comments on this vehicle thus far: The quality of the vehicle is pretty good, superior to the ION obviously, which isn't very hard. It actually feels a lot like driving the Grand Marquis did, with stiffer bolstered seats instead of a couch, and a worse turning radius somehow. Seriously, it turns like a bus or van. Power wise it is not as exciting as the Mazdaspeed6 felt to me, not as quick, but it does weigh more and does not have a manual.

The Aisin 6 speed is a little jumpy, and there have been a couple of software updates on this. I don't believe any of the updates from Volvo are optional, they just pump the latest whatever into your car if you go for service. I guess I would say you learn to drive the car, and how it will respond to your throttle position, as to if it will downshift aggressively and hang there, or not, if you just want to scoot around someone.

There is the common A/C compressor growl, that is worrisome at first until you hear that it just happens sometimes. There is also a couple of rattles in the door panels that can be solved with a minimum of effort. Other than not having any idea how to set partial defroster and not maximum or none, it is a pretty nice vehicle. Roomy enough for passengers and cargo. It has the booster seats, but I don't have kids. I would rather have had rear heated seats for guests.

I got into this vehicle as I had been putting new suspension parts on my ION like they were going out of style, and my A/C was acting up. I was ready for something new with a bit more room and power, and everyone is shopping crossovers and small SUVs now. The pricepoint on a decently equipped Ford Escape, Nissan Rogue, or Rav4 puts them in more or less the same price point new as this was used. I'm gambling a bit on the Volvo's reliability and maintenance costs. The Escape was not inspiring at all and everyone seems to have one nowadays. The build quality on some of the others, including the driveline, seems questionable.

The P3 T6 seems to be relatively reliable. Some users have had issues with oil consumption , which is a thing that Volvo has to address. The transmission and Haldex seem to be pretty reliable as well at least out of the gate, but there are not many high milage XC60s out there to comment on. The gas milage it gets is also not particularly great. I average about 17.5/18 with my short commutes and stop-and-go. On the highway, when I am on the highway, it seems to be closer to 21/22. This is on 91 Octane gas.

I had initially wanted the XC70 for the versatility of the cargo room and better rear leg room, but, as the chips fell,, this is where I am.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

blk posted:

If it's any consolation the XC60 is the best looking crossover out there and the 70 is one of the worst.

The 70 looks like a meaty wagon, and if you're going to strap things on it to go outdoorsing, it looks better IMO than the 9999999 outback wagons sure to be about. Also the interior rails, like I hopefully mentioned before, wherein you can mount a bike rack into the back of it instead of on it - that's pretty rad.

With regard to the styling of the 60, what I can say is that since it's introduction it's been sharp looking, not boxy. That rear "hip swoop" is now appearing on the latest Honda and Toyota vehicles, so even though the thing is already 3.5 years old, it looks spot on. There are so few of them on the road versus the V70/XC70 that it still looks unique. For better or worse that's something I like.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

Since this'll be the last season for my old Mazda, I've been looking recently at used XC70s. 2011 and newer. During the spring/summer/fall I almost exclusively ride my motorcycle and my commute is 7 kilometres one way, so is it an awful idea to pick up a higher-mileage XC70? I'm looking at the 3.2 NA models to keep complexity to a minimum (lol volvo). One I'm looking at now has 111,000 miles on it and its a 2011. I've read that these are among the more reliable Volvos in recent years.

Good idea/bad idea?

Just peep swedespeed for comments on trans or oil consumption issues. I don't think there is anything crazy going on with these other than PCV and usual services. They are a bit young yet and most of the trans/awd services are supposed to be lifetime. Batteries on these need replaced earlier than some vehicles.

That has the earlier audio system and dash but if you don't care I would think it would be a nice vehicle. Probably pull a bike trailer relatively easily.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Supposedly Aisin says it is lifetime which means 100k. The dealers proportedly don't want to change it. The haldex similarly doesn't have a serviceable filter, you have to drill and tap it.

I can probably do a fluid exchange at home by pulling a line, but are you advocating doing a regular flush at 50k?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

That vm is around as a virtualbox image as well.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

There are stories that Volvo and their dealers are willing to give you some goodwill credits on expensive repairs due to premature failure, out of warranty. That seems to be more possible if you are loyal and use the dealer for work and service.

My local dealer sends me emails about service specials including $359 oil change, tire rotation, and coolant flush. Like I get the T6 uses almost 8qt of oil and the shop hourly rate is probably crazy but drat.

Doesn't help they have Volvo in with Porsche and Land Rover and play the upscale luxury angle on everything.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Having my windshield replaced today on my XC60. The seal failed at the top of the glass and created a nice intimate rainfall on the inside of my car. This is apparently a thing on P3 plus Volvos .

Getting glass replaced is a lot of jerking around, no one wants to pull and reseal.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have the headlight washers and wish I could turn them off. It seems to just unnecessarily piss extra washer fluid out when it’s not needed most of the time.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah the upscale trending is a bit obnoxious, there’s no way to get into these things as the little guy without all the premium.

I just bought the purolater one cabin filter for $9.34 which came out of the box with “Mann Filter Made In Germany” on it.

The dealer sent me a coupon for $20 off to inspect “hose, fittings, vents, and coolant” with “Clean, deodorize, and replace cabin air filter”. (IAQS carbon filter more expensive). The gently caress? Clean and replace? $20 off? Off of what? If they’re gonna jerk me off at least put it in the ad.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

That is a shitload easier on a modern Volvo. Minus the part where to replace the filter in any car you have to crumple it up like a snot rag to get it back into the slot.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Just did plugs on my T6 - easy as hell. Did a sway bar end link with the Moog problem solver part. The lower bolt on the front control arm is a bit obstructed by some AC line or something but could be worse. Not bad at all for some of my first babbys first real maintenance.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Some sort of thing fell off my Xc60 today and make a clang while I was driving on the highway. Nothing changed while driving - I have no idea what it could be.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’ve gotten 91 here but it really chaps me when it’s 40+ cents more per gallon over 89.

That being said it “feels” better on top tier premium to me anyways. I do like that if I end up in some town with only a single deli/smokes/beer/lotto that has “gas” or diesel I can still fill up if need be.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

got fired from Snopes posted:

Really not that cold. Single digits with wind chill below zero.
I'm wondering if it had a hairline crack or some other flaw that weakened it.

I didn't think about a plow having anything to do with it, could be a possibility I suppose.

I deal with this often and my glass hasn’t exploded.

My windshield leaked due to lovely glass coating which is a known issue but not that

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If there is mileage on it because they’ve been driving it I would be pissed

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Learned today . I did brakes on my XC60 - there is factory thread locker on the fronts , some pink poo poo that was annoying. Rear didn’t seem to have that.

18mm front bolts on the bracket , some sort of hex on the caliper pins I ignored . 15mm bracket bolts on the rear, 13mm caliper bolts.

My work laptop ran out of battery by “updating” overnight so I couldn’t run VIDA. I did the 12v battery method on the rear electric parking brake and ran it all the way back.

Pro tip - don’t run it all the way in , or use the battery to run it out before you finish. I had left the brake engaged, so the car thought I needed to unset the brake which it couldn’t do, and threw a service error. The car beeps a lot and angrily while driving like this since it thinks the brake is engaged.

I drove to the office, charged my computer, and ran the install check on the brakes and it’s fine now.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

As far as I know all the dealer stuff is mileage based ... +/- on when it’s convenient for you to schedule it

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You can put electrical tape over the BLIS lights I guess. Parking assist seems to be set off by density changes like air brake venting or exhaust on a cold day, or snow. That’s sometimes annoying but I can ignore it, turn the volume down, etc.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

One of the paddles in my drivers air vent came off the plastic guide on my XC60. I assume this applies for any P3(?) xc60/70

Let me pre warn anyone if this happens the clips are on the sides of the vent housing and aren’t easily flattened to remove the vent. The front will come off instead revealing a plastic house of cards direct from Satan’s butthole.

After you finish reconstructing that poo poo like a ship in a bottle and re-glueing the frame odds are it will not work properly due to the vertical movement being tied to some tiny strip of metal that has now bent or warped.

This all happened because I bought a vent cleaning tool from IPD that has a microfiber and fins to go in the vent - just don’t imo. The dust that’s stuck in there will not hurt you.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have a 2012 XC60 and I’ve never had that problem. It will auto brake for parking lot gates if I come up too fast but I don’t consider that false really.

The laser sensor is behind the mirror, the plastics come off easy enough then you can get a thin cloth sheet in there to clean the glass.

I bet if the windshield were poorly replaced or the sensor maligned it could trigger. As for the A/C even in “manual” the manual is based on the fan speed and orientation but it still uses the temperature you’ve dialed in. I find that for the size of the cabin it is not always the best at cooling or dehumidifying, but it does not take humidity into account when operating as far as I am aware.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’ve got a rad squeak while driving that sounds like rubber or metal rubbing and all I can come down to is maybe a failed shock mount or something .

I’m moments from going to the dealer to have them figure it out since I can’t , and it’s due for inspection , oil , and brake fluid change anyway. Man I wish I had more space to work on my car .

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Could be bumps or uneven road surface - not any obvious bumps. Like rolling up the street at 15-20 you’d hear it

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You can juice that up with a 12V battery to retract it if you want instead of unbolting it.

Just be sure it’s unset before you do , or you engage it again after service since it will otherwise set a fault when you start the car and attempt to unset the already unset brake. VIDA will fix that if you have it but the incessant beeping otherwise won’t help.

Source:

E: that becomes a louder faster beeping red exclamation point if you try and drive with it

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Nice looking ride

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The washer hose cracked under my hood near where it fishes up through the quarter panel . It’s getting my hood hinges real clean but this doesn’t help me , and it’s cold as poo poo out .

I still have a suspension squeak somewhere the dealer claims to have not heard. I have photos out with them on a corrosion warranty claim , still waiting to hear back. The quarter panel is rusting through behind the wheel well already. Internet says it’s because leaves and mess get back there and can’t be cleaned out.

Either way car isn’t 8 years old shouldn’t be rotting through.

I’d like to fix up stone chips and minor scratches this year. Is Dr Colorchip still a good choice for the shade tree dumbbell such as myself?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

For $12 it’s worth it if it matches

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It’s a super fun car, I think RD got some larger brakes which it needs

Just had a strut bearing and front coil spring replaced, getting some stone chips that need rust repair, minor stuff. The AC growl is annoying but not a detriment to its operation. Car is getting towards the 10 year mark in a salty winter clime and I drive like al Unser jr so it’s been remarkable.

In a less salty brutal area this thing should last for gobs of time - it is a really nice car

Congrats on getting out of the lemon - that makes me feel a lot better about using carmax in the future

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah there is a plate bracket kit for the front at least but IIRC the rear has holes if you’re not a dullard . Hopefully can be patched or hidden but still lovely.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If I am allowed to do so, I’d like to post for a friend of mine who is selling his 1996 Volvo 850 wagon (non turbo) here in Lewiston, NY . He does good maintenance and keeps up with it.

Manual transmission, 243k, newer parts and pieces. Was from Virginia so body in good shape. He’s looking for $850 and I’d be happy to broker questions via PM. He’s not a goon but I figure maybe someone who’s a Volvo fan would like to do something with this versus some high school kid who will crash it immediately.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sounds like you hate it already , so get rid of it and get something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Other than clean the LiDAR mechanism behind the rear view mirror? I’ve only had it trigger at parking lot gates and dumbbells who come to a complete stop in the middle of a right turn into a driveway .

Regarding the battery poster from earlier , if there’s an answer let me know . I’ve done the 24H lock, battery pulls , etc and it still goes to low battery a minute after stopping the engine