Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Does anyone have opinions on the 2013 Golf R? I've been shopping around and have test drove the MazdaSpeed3, GTI, Focus ST and now the Golf R. The Golf R was my absolute favorite and I fell in love with it over the weekend. I realize the cost puts you in Audi territory, along with WRXs but I don't know if I can help myself :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Phuzun posted:

They are very nice. And you are right, it does get into the A3 price range. I really do not understand why they went with options on this without offering DSG, but at the same time, you cannot get an A3 with a manual and AWD. I have really only 1 annoyance when I looked at them, and this is because I've had it in several cars. The rear view mirror is not auto-dimming. The 2008 R32 had that, but it went missing on this. A bizarre decision.

If you want to race it, there are complaints over the traction control system. This has to be disabled through programming and not a long button press, like you see on most cars. But if you are doing that, you are probably getting your engine tuned as well, so I don't see the issue. Traction control really has no bearing on normal driving, if it kicks in on these haldex cars, it is probably saving you from understeering into a car or curb.

Autotrader is listing 670 new Golf R's, you should be able to get the color and options you want on a new one still. These were to be a 5,000 run limited edition, I'm not sure if the factory is still making them or if what is on the lots now is the last of the run.

Yeah I'd like to say I'd autocross/race it, but that will really just be me hoonin' around some country roads. I have looked into what is needed to turn the traction control completely off and into the "Stage 1" or whatever ECU tuning (301-ish HP) but really, it would be like a small GT car with how I'd drive it. I'd probably never bring it to a proper track nor would I actually purchase the tuning bits.

I have seen in a few places that VW have stated they'll make as many Rs for the USA as they need (as opposed to a 5000k limit), which is nice because I'd like a 5-door white with the sunroof and nav option. And I have looked at the Gold TDIs veedubfreak, but it didn't 'grab' me like the R did. I know the numbers, I know the prices, I know they are essentially the same car, but I lust after the R.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Personally if you're getting it as a GT and not planning interior mods, and it's not -that- much more money, I'd just get the A3. Nicer inside from day 1, identical from a chipping perspective. I prefer the DSG but no sense beating that dead horse here.

Right but I'm a manual guy so the Audi is out w/ AWD. I also like the R better from a looks perspective, and while I can't honestly compare the interiors of the R and A3 since I haven't been in the A3 the Golf R is very nice. To get a similar A3 (with the S-Tronic) pops it out to over 40 grand, and I'm down 50-some HP and a bunch of torque. On top of *that* A3's are a dime a dozen here.
I can justify the 5k~ or so price jump with the GTI Autobahn to the R, but the 5k~ jump further to the A3 which seems to me more of a fancy GTI with AWD vs. a different engined Golf with a fancy R. And blue needles.

EDIT
Now if I could get an S3....

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 9, 2013

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You'll be able to get the S3 sedan when they update it, but no hatch. Doesn't sound like any A3 hatches are coming when they refresh, which is too bad because the new A3/S3 has ~*the perfect interior*~.

Also,

has to be SF, right? I used to play a game where I'd see how many A3's were on the way between wherever me and my friend were going, it was always at least ten.
If I had my choice I'd have an M5 touring, so yeah, gotta be a hatch. And no, I'm in Florida, Sarasota area. Lots of 1 series BMWs and Audi A3s around because those are both the cheapest badge fees around.

PoopinClumpin posted:

In february I got a Rising Blue 5-door for my wife's daily driver. I have put about 2000 miles on it myself just for joyriding and I enjoy it very much. She said she wouldn't mind a little more torque so I got the APR stage 1 tune put on and now I'd say it's easily as fast as my 2010 S4 when it was stock; and I tend to be really sensitive of turbo lag since I'm used to the supercharged S4, but it's minimal in the R.

I then installed the Euro LED tail lights and the integrated reverse camera for her and I'd say that except for full-power seats it is now feature-parity with an S3 (S3 doesn't even have adaptive headlights as a standard feature). The ride height is a bit high but I don't mind it.

Based on your post I'd say you would really like one, if you can find it. Aren't they all sold by this point?
That sounds rad, and follows with what I imagine could happen in regards to the tune. There are 4~ within 50 miles of me, 1 local and the others in Tampa. None are optioned out how I'd like, so if I can't get what I am after then I get to pick from what there is. Which is fine, because the drat car is so nice.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Got my white Golf R 4 door with sunroof/nav (really a 5 door, and I got the sunroof/nav package for dynaudio stereo, keyless entry and push-button start) coming in from Texas on Tuesday, one of two left in the nation that's less than 1500 miles from me. My first new car and by far fastest vehicle I've ever owned, and also the most optioned out one considering my past vehicle history. The last car with a stick I had was an 82 Tercel with 60~ HP and probably about a sneeze of torque.
I made the mistake of looking around to see what a typical Golf R owner is like and it's VWVortex all the way down, but I did see the euro-LED taillight mods that US Golf owners were doing and I'm extremely tempted because it looks that good.
Want to thank the guys that chimed in to discuss the Golf R and give their experiences and advice, I certainly appreciate it. I can't wait.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 26, 2013

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PoopinClumpin posted:

Congrats, you're really gonna like it. Yeah you're right about the Vortex crowd but not everyone is like that :)

edit euro tails:

Yeah they look way good. I know there is a tool involved in switching a memory-something to install the rear LEDs, but I see a mix of types. A non-rear fog option and a rear fog option which may or may not involve a headlight switch replacement. What version did you do?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PoopinClumpin posted:

Non-fog version. You probably don't want the fog ones because nobody in the USA understands what it means and people will just constantly tell you that you have a broken/overbright tail light. Also if you have to pass inspection and there's a requirement for "two white reverse lamps" you will fail it because the fog option replaces one of the backup lights with the amber fog. I got the fog option at first thinking it would be just like my S4 (2 extra bright amber lights), it wasn't. Also yeah you'll need someone with a Vag Com (or possibly the dealer if you talk them into it) to code the car so it's aware of the existence of the LED tails instead of the regular bulbs. I don't have the code on hand but it should be easy to find.

edit: also you don't need the replacement light switch if you're not doing fog version.

Don't suppose you have the source/link from where you ordered your lights from? I found http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Lighting/ES1910142/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

siliciferous posted:

Don't go for the fog kit, you'll need to swap around some wires in the harness under the dash and it is a royal pain in the rear end if you haven't done it before. That, and the R doesn't have any front fogs - a light switch that supports rear fogs will have a front fog position that you'll never be able to use.

Right yeah, I'm not. When the novelty wears off I'll be seriously going into LED tails thing. It looks too good, and is too easy (the non-fogs I mean) and paying a bit more $ is worth it to me to get the OEM ones.

siliciferous posted:

Good to see some more R owners around :hfive:

:hfive:

PoopinClumpin posted:

Yep, I said the same thing. I guess they just had a cost threshold to make the NA market viable and LEDs were one of the things on the cut list. Even weirder though are the features that cost nothing to provide, and can be coded in by yourself afterward, like gauge needle sweep, and touch windows up/down. The weirdness is compounded by the fact that some NA vehicles come with things coded and some do not, changing from one year to the next. There's a whole list of things like those. It seems they probably had to go through extra effort to not have them. The only reason I can think of to have windows up/down uncoded in NA market is liability. Like someone's kid got chopped in half by a window 'coz dad sat on the keys the wrong way or something.

Wait what? My R has a build date of 10/12 and I have needle sweep and one-touch windows on all 4 of mine. The dealer I worked with to get mine did say that early model R's (in the US) didn't have the aluminium pedals though.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 29, 2013

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Do you guys mean 1 touch windows with the switch or the keyfob? My 11 TDI has 1 touch windows both up and down from the door switches. I've never cared enough to bother setting the key up to do it.

I was looking in the owner's manual last night and it says you should be able to (with keyless entry) be able to put your finger on the door lock, hold it and all the windows and sunroof should roll up/close. If you are inside the car, holding the driver's window up should roll up the windows and close the sunroof after a few seconds. I made little notes and when I go back to the dealership in a week I'm going to ask about it. It's in the manual after all, why doesn't it work?

I also found this:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PoopinClumpin posted:

Lookin' really good there. I wish I was in Florida. Are you ready to do stage 3 yet:

no big deal just 454 horsies.

I haven't explored beyond 4k RPMs yet, let alone all 250+ horses there are available if I would only bury my foot. I've got about 100 miles left before I'll move out to 5k and maybe a bit more throttle :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

fknlo posted:

I think they're just a remnant from the old days that won't go away.

I did indeed go and see if there was a break-in period before I got the car, but since the manual specifically mentions staying in the 2/3s lower powerband, and no full throttle for the first 600 miles and then a gradual increase on your way to 1000 miles I'm following it. I can't come up with a reason why they would bother putting it in the manual if they didn't have a reason.
They list lubrication not being 100% until you break the engine in and ignoring the break-in period can lead to oil burning issues later.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

JHVH-1 posted:

I got a check engine light the other day, and was going to wait till my day off work tomorrow to have it checked out, but it went away last night.

The first thing I checked was the gas cap and that seemed fine. If its gone though, you think I should I still take it in to the dealer or see if it comes back? It won't hurt to have them check, but if it going away means it was just something silly like a loose cap or something else like that somewhere then maybe I don't have to waste my time.

EDIT: This is on my 2012 GTI
At least on my 2013 Golf R it has a specific "check gas cap" warning, so if it was your engine light then I'd have to assume that it is not your gas cap.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

RFX posted:

Has anyone been able to get an Android phone working with MDI? I just got this cable to connect my phone, since for some reason VW doesn't sell an MDI-Micro USB cable. It charges my phone, but there seems to be no way to actually access anything. I know VW sells regular USB cables which I could then plug in a USB-MicroUSB cable into, but I'm not getting any clear indication from stuff online that it would do any more than just charge my phone too.

I got a USB MDI cable to simply have a powered USB port for my phone to charge it, but mine will constantly flip from charging to not charging my phone, causing the screen to constantly wake up. It also doesn't interact with the stereo system at all either. On the plus side bluetooth integration works amazingly well with my phone (a new Galaxy S4) and I simply got a USB adapter to plug into the power port anyway.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

fknlo posted:

My only problem with streaming music over bluetooth is the sound quality. Especially with Google Play, it sounds like a pair of headphones not plugged in all the way. There are things missing.

Ironically enough I feel this way about Sirius, which sounds like tiny rear end, but I use Google Play over bluetooth with my phone and it sounds great. Especially the new 'all access' stuff, I can just stream pandora-like radio stations for days and it all sounds fantastic. I have asked it to always play high quality though, maybe that's a thing?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

blk posted:

Why do you guys like VW?

I got my 2013 Golf R because it was the best car for me that I found, it having a VW badge on the front just happened to be coincidence (or maybe not, modern VWs are nice as hell on the insides). My most reliable car I've ever owned was a 1974 AMC Hornet, a 30+ year old domestic from a dead manufacturer. I went through highschool driving my mom's white 97 Jetta and we never had any problems with that thing, and I did a ton of clutch dumps :v:. Besides, new Golf Rs are due to hit the US shores here in 2015, so I've got a couple more years to find out if VWs fall apart like people claim or not.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Residency Evil posted:

As the owner of a 2010 GTI, this sounds like a terrible idea.

As the owner of a 2013 R, this sounds like a great idea :getin:
Although waiting for the next-gen R isn't a bad idea considering the jump in power and drop in weight.....

EDIT
And just so we're clear here, I average around 21 miles per gallon mostly driving around town like an rear end in a top hat or around 27 on the highway, and it drinks premium. And you insurance will probably go up.
And your tires will probably wear faster.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 16, 2013

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

I already called my insurance agent. My insurance would go up 9 bucks per month as long as I buy a 4 door. I already drive like an rear end in a top hat and have 19s on the golf so tire wear is a moot point. Premium is still 50 cents loving cheaper than diesel. None of these things are making me not want to do this. The only thing kind of iffy is the leather seats. When is the next R due out?

Welp...the new R has 300hp. Guess I'll just keep saving up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJKJlg7Rl4

Things I've found out about the R so far:

It will be 2015 before we see the new one in North America
Unknown if we'll get a choice between the DSG and 6 speed manual or if we'll miss out on the LED tail lights again
Probably going to be made in Germany still instead of Mexico like the rest of NA VWs
The new S4 S3 and R share power plants

I quite like the leather in mine, I'm not quite sure what aspect of it would be iffy unless it's something specific to leather in general.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 18, 2013

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Jymmybob posted:

Where have you seen the S4 will get the R engine? I could see the S3 but it seems like a hefty step back from the current SC V6 and active rear dif Torsen system.

:doh: I meant the S3, whoops.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I imagine in those trim levels you get cooled seats anyway.

Unless something major has changed, nope. There are no cooled seats in the R. German climate coming through loud and clear.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

fknlo posted:

Does Audi not sell wagons in the US any more? I'd probably jump into an A4 3.0 TDI wagon tomorrow if they were available here, and looking into it on their website, the only wagon they have available is the Allroad. Why is BMW willing to sell me a diesel wagon but Audi isn't?

They do not. The Volkswagen group only has the SportWagens and Audi's Allroad. Otherwise BMW 3 series wagons and Volvo's XC70. In January Volvo is bringing back V60s, and in June/July we'll have Polestar v60s :getin:

Volvo is pulling me hard to them with that Polestar, depending on what it's like in the flesh. If I could have a SportWagen R, man. I'd be a happy guy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

I'm really hoping the US actually gets the SportWagen R, it's a sexy rear end car.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/06/volkswagen-golf-variant-concept-r-line-geneva-2013/

That looks nice as heck, but it's a SportWagen R-Line, as in appearance package only. No 300hp, no AWD, no quad exhaust. The only performance wagons in the US come next year are AMG Mercades, V sport Cadilacs and V60 Polestars.

BraveUlysses posted:

Well they sell the A3 with the 2.0TDI but it's FWD only, so its a better looking, more expensive sportwagen.

Audi doesn't sell the A3 in the US anymore, and it was never in the SportWagen size, it was the Golf/GTI hatch version.

EDIT

Looks like the A3 is returning, but sedan only. No hatch, no wagon.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 20, 2013

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Styles Bitchley posted:

Been lurkin' this thread and some VW forums for awhile. After some back and forth said to hell with it and bought a 2014 GTI. Really wanted a lightly used one but they just aren't around in this area, and if so not much less than new.

Much different from any car i've ever owned, which is not a bad thing considering most cars i've had were boring, or trucks. Definitely has a unique personality which is what I was looking for. I know it's a debated topic but going to try to follow the recommended break-in, therefore haven't gotten crazy with it but thus far a lot of fun.

Don't worry about the people who might give you poo poo about the break in thing, VW says you should follow a procedure then gently caress anyone else that says otherwise, since VW is the one that engineered the 20k+ complicated machine you now own.

What options did you get?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cacafuego posted:

I saw mention of pretty good deals on the mk6 gti. I've been considering the upcoming mk7 gti. What are the mk6 incentives and how long are they in effect? What would I be missing by going with the mk6?

e: apparently the VW USA site only has the GTI in 5 door trim to build and price? What happened to the 3 door? Will mk7 be available in 3 door?

VW is a dummy and staggers their releases. Since we are right before the introduction of the mk7 to the US you are dealing with whatever mk6 leftovers VW has for sale. Notice there are only Driver's and Wolfsburg editions, and there is no Golf R for sale. I'd guess that you might be able to get some decent deals on GTIs already on dealer's lots.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

He was asking the European folks if they have an MK7 yet because we don't get it here until this summer. Personally as soon as the new .:R comes out, I'm trading in my TDI. The new Golf looks sweet as hell.

I hope you are planning on getting the 6 speed manual with your R because I'm pretty sure that's the whole point.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

trouser chili posted:

I'm approaching 5000 miles on the factory fill of oil on my 2014 JSW TDI. Sticker says 1st change at 10,000, but boy I'd feel better getting the original oil out of there. Any thoughts? I'd do the next one at ODO:10,000 and then go into the 10,000 mile change schedule.

I went to 10k on my original oil in my R. Felt a little odd but hey, VW says to do it that way and it is synthetic so why not!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

JHVH-1 posted:

Death to America

Your S3 hatcback is a Golf R. MK6 Golf R was an Audi TT S with a Golf body sitting on top, the MK7 Golf R is an S3 with Golf bits bolted onto the MQB platform with S3 guts.

I'm not trying to defend the practice, but while VW America has it's head up it's own rear end at least there is a fast hatch with a 6 speed available still.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowdens Secret posted:

It at least used to be the case that the Golf R had more or less the regular GTI interior while the Audi interiors were noticeably nicer and 'classier'. Golf R external styling is also a bit too boy-racer for me.

I don't care about the 6-speed, it's the DSG that pulled me to VAG, if I can't get the premium interior with the hatch I might as well see what how the MazdaSpeed 3 shapes up.

Maybe Mazda can pull out a winner with the new speed3 but man, the current speed3's interior trimmings are far below the R or even the GTI, especially if "boy ricer" is a thing you don't like. The interior is the most 'loud' to me out of the 2013s I tested, which included the Focus ST, Golf R, GTI, Speed3 and Abarth. Look at that dot pattern :v:

I'm of course biased because I'm on 'Team R' but I guess I don't understand the comparison between a 'premium' grown-up boy ricer like the R vs. the obvious and harder edged Speed3, especially if interiors are important along with the DSG. But hey, The Speed3 is certainly a bargain as far as performance goes and I think that the current one looks quite awesome if a bit ostentatious, but the Focus ST seems to have taken all it's potential customers if only because it's a newer design. That and are we even sure there is going to be a Speed3 with the new designs from Mazda? We test drove a new Mazda 3 (which is now a boring lump compared to the goofy smile) and the salesperson said there was nothing on a new Speed3. That, and she kept talking about how their biggest competition was Toyota which doesn't really bode well for the sort of customers my wife and I are.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Motronic posted:

I'm not saying you can't get used to it.......but it's kinda odd to me. I don't need something extra to not roll back, just a clutch that works.

The first time I got into a car with hill hold I managed to stall it twice moving it around a parking lot until I realized what was going on. Then it was fine, just odd. And it continues to be odd whenever I drive something with it.

This is me, the hill hold has caused me to stall my car before because it "hides" the clutch point.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
RE: Wagon chat

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1091086_2015-volkswagen-golf-r-wagon-spy-shots

Man there is no way the US is getting this is there? I plan on snapping up the new Golf R the moment we can but I'd wait for this wagon variant if we could get it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Except it won't be made out of tin foil and sound like an air cooled vw with a bad cylinder.

Glad to finally start seeing some info coming out. I wonder if that price is for the DSG (which is the only way to get it for the first few months QQ).

Also, hold the loving phone. Is this going to actually happen? http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/18/volkswagen-golf-r-variant-official/ I'd love an actual R wagon, not R-line, but an actual awd 290hp wagon.

Not in the US so far, and only comes with a DSG. Looks hot as hell though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Ya, we never get the cool stuff. What are the odds of the R400 coming here and still being under 50,000?

I'd say zero. I'm far from an expert, but I imagine that VW will sell that Golf R Longroof before we get the R400 here in the states. If it did come here I'd also expect it to be closer to 60k rather than 50k.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ezekial posted:

Here again with the 2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8L Turbo
So I was driving down the highway and realized my windshield was dirty. so I sprayed it. When I got to my destination, "What the hell happened to my bumper?" One of those little squares flew off. Asked my father, Apparently they come up to spray my lights.
1. What is the best place to find a replacement?
2. How the hell do I turn that bullshit off?

With a vag-com maybe? Otherwise the lights should only be sprayed when the lights are on.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Do you really need more power? Personally I usually wait until the car starts to get boring (or is out of warranty) before I start modding. Still waiting for the 16 R to be available, need my third pedal.

Not that this really helps with perceived power, but VW tends to underrate their power numbers as well so the new R is probably making a bit more power than the sticker says.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Apr tunes are pushing towards 375 at the crank I believe. But the early R's are also crapping out turbos fairly early, that's why I don't plan on voiding my warranty.

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb_r.html

Blown turbos eh? Is this only with the new Rs?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Pryor on Fire posted:

The fact that this thread is 90% "here's some problem with my VW/Audi, what is it how can I fix it cheaply" and "thinking about buying a VW/Audi X, what should I look out for" and the inevitable long list of expensive issues/maintenance that always gets posted has soured me on ever buying a VAG car again. Ah well we'll always have the good old days, it was fun while it lasted you crazy german fucks.

It's a question and answer thread.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Motronic posted:

Engine break in is a vestige that won't go away because people really think it still needs to be done. So manufacturers put a section in the manual.

It's bullshit.

This used to be a thing before computer controlled everything with super tight tolerances and is still a thing if you're rebuilding a motor by hand to some extent. Otherwise just drive.

So manufactures put the break-in procedure in the manual because people expect it to be in there? That doesn't make any sense because the manuals changed no problem to tell you that oil changes are only needed once every 10k miles or so yet the every 3k miles thing is "a vestige that won't go away because people really think it still needs to be done."

There is bullshit here but it isn't coming from a manual.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

eriddy posted:

I found a Phaeton parked next to my GTI in the parking garage today. Those things are rare?/cool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AINSi9ofD7U

Cool as heck

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kytrarewn posted:

Yeah, I was driving to an appointment the other day and got to drive alongside a Phaeton W12 for a few minutes (in my current piece of poo poo beat-to-hell Mazda). I will own one of those things some day,. It's one of the more interesting cars from the last 15 years from a collectibility perspective (Disclaimer: I am not an automobile collector, nor do I have any experience in managing investments. I just want to collect a Phaeton W12 for myself).

They are exceedingly inexpensive. Sub 10k for the W12 even, at least in the United States.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

The cost of my 7 year extended warranty is less than I have spent on computer parts this year.

You and I both know you are way outside the 'normal' range for computer parts purchasing. And I say this as a Titan X SLI computer haver.

Withnail posted:

I just bought a sportwagen tdi today and turned down the extended warranty. Although I can still buy it. Should I reconsider?

The new Sportwagens are so much better looking than the last gen it isn't even funny. DSG or manual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Isn't that the truth. But I have made good choices in life, like never getting married or having kids. Amazing how much random poo poo you can afford without child support or alimony. :)

The MK7 s basically superior to the MK6 in every way. It's stiffer (heh), lighter, faster, and gets better mileage across almost every car.

The Haldex5 is superior to the previous versions.

The head unit is larger and has tons more features.

There are more things, but well I'm too tired to remember.

The Sportwagens without question look better to me but I haven't seen a new R in person yet. In pictures I don't think they look as good as the MK6s but I might be biased :v:
Depending on what the Focus RS ends up being like I might jump ship but if VW did bring the R Wagon over I'd get that without question.