Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

And only duty hours for ITP. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Anyone else get voluntold to be in blues for the Memorial Day thing tomorrow?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I think I finally understand why when I asked a few months back, generally what the place is like and what Monterey is like etc etc the response I got was "don't worry about it, you'll flunk out anyway." Yup, everyone around me is failing or almost failing.

And sweet chocolate Jesus is that title accurate. The nerdiest people in the entire armed forces, all in one spot. At least I'm not into card games, I wouldn't have a chance in this place if I was... but then I don't anyway so :v:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

The rumor mill is cranking away in the Air Force, pretty much everyone's certain we'll get the same deal as the Army pretty soon.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

AchmedTheSnake posted:

Admit it. Yall jealous of our sweet bouncy house obstacle course on hilltop yesterday! God drat was that mandatory fun actually fun. Surprise! Sorry everyone who's not 311th.

I absolutely loved the timing of my security interrovestigation. :argh: Still, I guess those who actually got to go could call it revenge for that air combat challenge.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 22, 2013

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Softface posted:

Air Force current DLItes, don't even bother getting TPG anymore. The only benefit we have at Goodfellow now is no curfew, and that probably won't last much longer. All you'd have to look forward to is a lovely room and getting poo poo on for your whole time here.
Wait so you've still got morning formation?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Well holy crap. I just got here (only a couple months ago) but I'm in Iraqi so I'll be here long enough that I can get my effort's worth with TPG when the time comes. Hopefully they'll tone that crap down by the time I get there, that seems about as bad as ITP here. :gonk:

Flight cap sunburn from change of command formation, hooah :sun:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Fat kid PT, can i get a hua? :toot: Who else got caught on a late bus?

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 17, 2013

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Ironman posted:

What the hell is going on over here? Everyone is jacked as hell and every other person is a failed test from being reclassed to 11b or something.

That's pretty normal. When I asked about the place before hand in the old "ask us about joining the military" thread, what's Monterey like and what all, people just said "Don't bother, you'll fail out before you get to see any of it". Turns out that sure enough that's pretty much the way it works here. I personally am not worried, but tons and tons of people here are either failing or just on the verge of it.

In other news the thing with the entire loving Air Force here having to move was only very mildly chaotic, definitely a lot less of a clusterfuck than I'd expected.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

How many of you were involved in the barracks gangbang the other night?

...wait what?

:suspense:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So the Army and AF are going to get put on restrictions of course.

I think if the AF was going to get jacked up we'd have heard about it by now, I've heard precisely nothing about this aside from here. And there aren't any marines or sailors in my class either so I still probably won't find out if anything happens to them.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Professor Bling posted:

Weird question: Is there still an old, green Mazda RX4 parked down by 650, near the AF housing?

Sure is. I coulda sworn I saw a post about it on here ages ago too.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Something tells me that avatar might be relevant...

Anyway the tires seemed dry-rotted, so be careful with it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

There's even one on post, the gas station near Bolio gate has a little car shop attached. I haven't used it, I've always gone to the one at Fort Ord.

edit: vv That's what the ropes said for the AF, so I guess it's kind of a quasi-official rumor, or something like that. AWN has been utter and complete poo poo for the past 2 weeks, I've been operating on roughly 80% down time but today I can actually load pages most of the time, don't know if that's related. Guess they had stuff shut down ready to pack up until they got word they'd be staying.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 20, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I know a 314th green rope, gotta ask him what the hell happened, might see if I know anyone that got de-roped. I'm 311th and we lost two of the three green ropes in my class recently for unrelated stuff but that's probably just a coincidence.

edit: Reading through old posts in this thread, I'm surprised how much drug stuff there used to be here. I've heard of precisely zero drug incidents since I got here in May.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 8, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I love how nobody posted about language day, what with us all getting let out of class and dodging high school kids all day long and poo poo. Clearly this is because we were too busy caring about languagey cultural poo poo to bother posting on a dumb forum to discuss the epic impact of such an event on our careers.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

What better way to have more fun in an emergency drill than to turn it into an actual amergency! Whee bomb threats. Nothing new, I had like six in high school.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wait, what do you mean the DLPT is two weeks away? You tryna tell me I'm in week 62 or somethi

...oh. :stare:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Welp. It's been a pretty crazy year and a half but that 2+ 2 1+ says I'm gonna hit the road in a week or so. Wonder how quickly I'll forget how to speak Terrist...

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Analogical posted:

Try to pick up some other skills while at Goodfellow if you're able
The only "other skills" I'm learning here other than in class is just figuring out better ways to stay as far as I can from the MTLs as I can. I could move off post (just announced, commander says all TPG in good standing are allowed to) except considering that my white rear end is gettin the gently caress out this place in three weeks I doubt that's worth the effort.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Analogical posted:

Showing aptitude in anything other than language can be enough to move you out of the grind you're about to sit down into. A few years back a friend of mine from DLI worked with some MTLs on cyber at Goodfellow and now works in that area, still leveraging language. I'm not saying he broke into a class and took tests in cyber thats stupid as poo poo and doesn't happen, he basically just learned enough job-related terms to yell out all at once in a stupid elevator pitch to convince a tired MSgt to transfer him. You'll find that the DoD is very fluid in where you can work, but where you sit your rear end down can make all the difference in your quality of life and job satisfaction.
Goodfellow was a very different place a few years back. They deliberately make things as difficult as possible here. If someone says "But wouldn't it make more sense if..." or "Wouldn't things be easier if..." the response is "Dude, do you not know a drat thing about this place? This is Goodfellow, it will never make sense." Basically some people hosed up in 2012 so they locked the place right the hell down, except they never remembered that NPS students usually only spend a few months here, so the people they were punishing for the next few years never had anything to do with whatever it was that went wrong, and weren't even here when it happened. Word from reliable sources is that we'll be treated like adults come February or March. I'll be long gone by then but while I'm here, my main objective here is just to not get in trouble.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 1, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Having actually gone to DLI I have come to the conclusion that literally any "DLI story" is absolutely plausible. Place is hosed up.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Let's just say I don't like talking to OSI.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Last I heard was they were aiming for a 2020 (or was it 2025?) timeframe for raising DLI standards to 2+/2+.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Talk about places downtown, I heard from reliable sources (i.e. still at DLI) the hookah bar got blacklisted a few months ago for drug activity. I loved that place. :smith:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Professor Bling posted:

I'm just really upset to hear they renamed the Duck, mainly because I hate change in any form whatsoever.
Agreed. And speaking of change, did you ever get that RX moved, or are you gonna keep that avatar forever?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Androies posted:

Also lol for anyone struggling to get a 2+/2+ only to come to a tactical unit where language means nothing and getting support for your language is near impossible because you need to learn how to use X piece of equipment or do Y bullshit "real" Army training, or just go to the field this week, that week, and every other week forever.
Tell that from the guy from my class whose 3/3 sent him to a special forces unit.

Professor Bling posted:

Both, at least until I piss someone off enough to buy me a new avater. That RX is now taking up a parking space outside of my apartment building rather than the old spot at DLI.
I can't imagine it's in any kind of usable condition? Just from what I saw where it had clearly been sitting for however many years it looked like the best that could be said was "there's still hope".

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 10, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

mind is moving posted:

Your classmate either got the luck of the draw or volunteered for airborne training (which typically results in orders to one of the SF groups)
It was the latter. And that was after they pulled him out of class for a couple weeks after he got a DUI. Frankly I'm amazed he even passed, let alone the DLPT scores.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wait ya know I just realized there's a subforum for that. And that car is pretty much right up their alley too. I'll be waiting for your thread.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

MegaJoe89 posted:

Are there still a decent number of foreigners attending DLI? what do you think of them
I didn't see any at all when I was there, 2013-2014. I did see some at Lackland while I was in basic, which would make sense since that's where DLIELC is. I see them every once in a while at Ft Gordon too.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Analogical posted:

It's roughly the same as your first run through. I've taken intermediate and advanced courses and the only difference as you might expect is the difficulty of the material. Hours, homework quantity and general breakdown (i.e. reading hour, speaking hour) are all dependent on the schoolhouse but roughly what you're used to.
That right there doesn't necessarily give a lot of information. I could pencilwhip some poo poo up in like half an hour or 45 minutes after formation in the morning and get away with it, but then I was talking to some Russian kids that literally lived homework, doing it in class breaks, lunch, after class and staying up late still working on it and could still barely get it all done.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I looked at that site for like a half a second and I'm already all :tinfoil: about what guvmint lists I'm on just cause I clicked on it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Well there is that...

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Black Balloon posted:

It's cool man once you finally get through it you'll almost definitely go to Augusta Georgia with no chance of ever leaving and you get to work in the worst professional environment of all time!
Being Farsi really doesn't help here, if that makes you feel any better. :v:

...I mean you could also get sent to Ft Meade. Rumor has it that that place is in Maryland. :emo:

realtalk: Nobody you work with is gonna have it any easier, so at least we get to be miserable together.

edit: At least LARPing isn't banned here, so if you're that much of a loving sperg (hey, you're posting in this thread, of course you are) you can get in on squadron-sponsored LARP events every once in a while. They do try to keep us happy, or at least they make it look like they're trying.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 15, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Had some big-wigs come through a few weeks ago and they said that 2+/2+ is for 2022 or some other distant-future poo poo. When I was at DLI that woulda been completely laughable, especially considering my class's pass rate, but that's far out enough that there might be some time to tweak this and push that and readjust that over there so they might have some excuse to call it feasible.

And I thought people already didn't get paid for native languages without a mission purpose?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Goodfellow was a total hellhole while I was there. 24/7 marching, not allowed to carry anything, the whole squadron marching to class in formation, that kinda stuff. The dorms were super filthy too but the old ones got closed down, and they fixed the stupid rules a couple months after I left.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Is it worth it to drive down to Texas, and how is the military going to gently caress me over if I do that instead of just flying like a normal person?
It's what I did. Super easy cause I was driving a Suburban, lived in the dorms at DLI so I just loaded everything up and hit the road without having to worry about TMO loving my poo poo up. I even got extra money in advance for gas and lodging from my DLI unit's CSS, or you can talk to TMO but you have to weigh your car both empty and loaded and I think you don't get the money til afterwards. Might be more money than CSS depending on what car you drive but I'd avoid it. I took I-20 most of the way and basically just back roads after Albuquerque, just cause I-10 would take me too close to Mexico.

Don't know about other services, but for Air Force it means fliers will be on casuals before class for a few more days than you. I was only on casuals for just a few days cause I wasn't rolled back at DLI so I had a Goodfellow class waiting for me when I got there.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

somewhatpathetic posted:

Also, you can get a junk yard taco at the scales, so there's that.
I went there once to drop off some junk and holy :gonk: hell no

• Locked thread