Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i haven't watched around the horn in forever, but jay mariotti being a smarmy prick and making everyone hate him and still winning was my favorite part of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

What Simmons said is good for him and everyone at Grantland, you guys are unreal sometimes

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this owns

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Dutchy posted:

Lol has anyone paid a single thought to Jay mariotti in like ten years?

Or a non negative thought in his entire life span
he kept it so real on around the horn when i was 12

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Deadspin hates Simmons because he 'poached' people from them, so I wouldn't count on getting a fair take from them

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Niwrad posted:

He would be their best writer but he'd be buried on the site because he's not a personality like Stephen A Smith. I just don't see him doing the kinds of thing he is doing now (TV, podcasts) with Simmons and Grantland out of the picture.
Lol if you think Simmons isn't going to have a late night show on Turner where he just invites all these people on as guests all the time.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Simmons is almost certainly going to talk poo poo

e: Cowherd and Simmons out leaves the ESPN radio realm in tatters. Those guys were probably their two biggest gets outside of Scott Van Pelt

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this criticism lacks any kind of depth in perspective. he's a bad writer because he's not versatile, but (in the context of the article) he's a good writer because he writes about sports in a way that the layman can relate to and laugh about. I don't get the people that want him to be like David loving Foster Wallace, he's served his purpose at ESPN for 15 years by driving viewers to the site and, in the past couple years, radically changed the culture of their audience with Grantland and 30 for 30. Reflecting on his reign as anything but a triumph for his employer is missing the point.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Badfinger posted:

He really doesn't though. It's right on that his shtick hasn't changed in 15 years but his access has. poo poo he talks about isn't particularly relatable to me, and wasn't ever particularly something I was attempting to strive to be. The perception of who he is also changes his writing. I remember being enamored with him writing about the Patriots winning the Super Bowl. Boston sports being an absolute powerhouse for the last decade plus is extremely bad for him in his writing, because instead of sad douche he's now incredibly entitled douche. Putting so much into showing who you are as a person through the writing is what made him, but also hurts him badly.
If Simmons isn't relatable to you (he's not really to me either) then you aren't the target audience. I'd be willing to wager that he gets more traffic than anyone else on ESPN and he's brought all his old readers over to Grantland, so he's clearly been successful as a writer from a business perspective. The 'art of writing' is meaningless here.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Grantland does really good traffic for a long form niche website that isn't SEO/social media driven

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

lmao this guy

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

it's insanely good when you get a homegrown hot take in the hot takes thread

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Stalin totally cheered for the Cincinnati Reds.
while putin prefers the albuquerque isotopes

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

chris connelly is great and would never say a bad thing about anyone which is probably the logic of his interim appointment

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this is the funniest article of all time

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/page/BelmontPharoah/2015-belmont-stakes-american-pharoah-triple-crown-horse-not-humans

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the problem with simmons tv show was that the podcast's convivial format didn't gel well with the more buttoned up espn tv expectation.

having seen maher, he could basically take his podcast shtick to a weekly sports show with people like Lowe and Keri, J-Bug et al and just get into the banter zone.

i'd definitely watch.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

euphronius posted:

It's true kids do not watch tv at all anymore.
i just got my masters in media and communications and there was a regulation course i was taking. as a straw caucus, i asked the class to raise their hand if they had a tv–only two students did, and they were in their 30s.

based off everything i'm hearing and the research in the field, traditional format tv will die in the next 20-30 years.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

exodus movement of jah people

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well that would be because it pretty clearly IS about to be shut down, right? I'm not sure how much sympathy I can muster for people who apparently are working hard to convince themselves it isn't so. I mean I know it sucks but lashing out at people isn't constructive, work on your resume.
alright, next caller

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

it would be chill if some of the higher ups at ESPN were held accountable for the poo poo show that's occurred over the past 2 years across all their properties rather than just the low-level employees that really have nothing to do with the relative success or failure of a media conglomerate this size

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

Do you have a good one to recommend?
the atlantic, harper's, and the new yorker are very good long form publications that sometimes write about sports

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Burn rate means the amount of money they are "burning" each quarter without showing profit. Grantland was a vanity project subsidized by the network.
this is used as a justification for firing simmons/shutting down the site, but it was marketed and approached like a vanity project by the network. A lot of the infighting was over the fact that grantland wanted to promote/drive revenue more and ESPN didn't want them to (probably with this sort of endgame in mind)

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

grantland traffic over last 6 months

the site's been going steadily downhill for awhile now and it'll be good to see their talent on new platforms sooner rather than later

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

lol CARMELO is so loving bad

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

jyrka posted:

Why not?
There has never been a five second youtube clip in any espn.com article. They only host their own/legally acquired content on their own video service

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Is Simmons actually starting a website? I got the feeling that it's just going to be a TV show and his podcasts from here on out. He kind of joked about being retired from writing.
he's starting a website

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

So It Goes posted:

Taking the article at face value, he told the people to not tell anyone they were leaving until they left. This is, in fact, a "douche" move regardless of at-will employment. The standard is to submit a two-weeks notice when employees leave at-will employment to let the company find/hire/train a replacement. Simmons apparently demanded they not submit a notice.
there is no notice man, they're at-will employees

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

i cannot overstate how little you need to leave a notice if a company doesn't respect you enough to put you under contract

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

it's very much against the law for an employer to give an inaccurate poor reference.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

soggybagel posted:

ESPN is getting out of the pop culture business. Sports is pop culture.
it was a dumb anonymous quote

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

lol

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

smart people dont spend money on television or digital properties because they know how to get them for free so the market corrects to the lowest common denominator

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Remember that time ESPN dedicated an entire episode of SportsCenter to Tim Tebow's birthday even though he wasn't a starting quarterback anymore?
lol target audience bullseye

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's become pretty clear in the last 6 months that Disney is basically ordering ESPN to cut back on things that aren't related to live sports. Almost everything else at the network has been affected. So far they haven't let go of any prominent TV people unless Simmons counts. They decided to let Cowherd and Olbermann walk instead of re-signing them to new deals.

yet they're investing in 'the undefeated'

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

zakharov posted:

I left my last job on amicable terms, and gave notice so I could prepare for the next person to take over and make sure that my coworkers were ready for the interim period. Maybe the nonprofit world is less full of assholes?
who cares? if you didn't want to do the above and you were at-will employee you would have no ethical or contractual obligation to do so.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

So It Goes posted:

"gently caress you, got mine."
I'm more commenting on the fact that he's using the fact that he made a reasonable decision as some sort of evidence of there being a moral maxim or as though he's virtuous to do what he did. Of course if you like your employer you can be decent to them, but you have no obligation to be decent EVEN if you do like them AND it doesn't reflect poorly upon you if you choose not to, given the terms of your contact.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 2, 2015

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

gawker is the worst and its perverse 'invade and recap everything' existence is one of the things that keeps me from being a media optimist.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Vice sucks

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Jota posted:

He...he would...gently caress a GIRL :wth:
Sounds like a creepy guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

tinstaach posted:

Katie Nolan deserves credit for being a Boston sports fan who isn't insufferable, and that's no small feat. Even Charlie Pierce couldn't go two paragraphs without whining about Deflategate in the last days of Grantland.

And this is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmRy-UfKysI
am i missing some backstory? i feel like a make a wish kid would turn and run if they got rob ryan and katie nolan is acting like he's jesus