Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

thinking about buying a squier jaguar. is it poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

darkwasthenight posted:

Nope, they're nice. Fiddly to set up at first if you aren't used to offsets, but they're solid guitars.

it'd be my first electric

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

After The War posted:

Yeah, having spent the past few hours playing my Jazzmaster, I can attest that offsets are great and worth the fiddliness. What drew you to that guitar in particular?

The only problem I have with it currently is that it makes my fretting hand smell like cat food, despite neither the guitar nor the case smelling that way. :iiam:

i like that they're super clean by default but they adhere to texture really well, i like being able to distort stuff and gently caress it up but go way back to basics when that starts to get clasutrophobic.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Gorgar posted:

What makes offsets fiddly? Never played one.

i assumed it was because squier, not neccessarily because offset

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

maybe i'll get a strat instead in the case

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Lumpy posted:

Until you get around to buying a Tele, that is.

teles are too textured, even the clean signal feels encased in a little bit of a sheen that's difficult to cut past, almost. also i'm a sucker for surf green

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Luna posted:

Not to bust in here SAMART style but I have an American Special Stat in surf green I'm looking to part ways with. Not sure if you'd be interested.

you have NO idea how much i would love to - idk if you saw the post where i mentioned i'm a sucker for surf green, hahaha - but i'm still a beginner here. i'm talking "i don't even own a squier" levels, here. i'll probably remember this post for a couple of years and think "god if only"

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Gnumonic posted:

More gain isn't always the answer (but it's an answer).

Isn't there like, an actual physics reason why this is true? Cuz it's definitely true.

it's not actual physics, i think it's kind of a psychoacoustic thing - i read it in a music production book, when you hear music at a higher volume, both bass and treble are more prominent, whereas at a lower volume they take a back seat to the mids. maybe that's what you're experiencing.

it was in the context of how songs end up being accidentally made super loud in the mixing process - once you push those faders up, it's no fun bringing them back down

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

my younger sister plays a made in japan mustang and i always loving hated how that thing sounds so maybe that's it

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

betterinsodapop posted:

It would be in tune RIGHT after tuning, and then fell out the second you played it. loving nightmare.
I'm a lefty. I always feel that way. :cry:

do you actually own a lefty-guitar? i thought it'd actually be almost advantageous to play with your dominant hand on the fret board - a lot of the time i'm finding that i'm not applying to strength to strings and i'm strumming too hard over the sound hole. a little bit like how when you play drums you're supposed to ride with your less dominant hand so you have more strength for the one you move around more

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

syntaxfunction posted:

Since we're on the discussion of one person bands, once I get my vocals sorted I'm recording my album. I'm doing everything by myself (bar mastering I guess) including using MIDI drums.

What's the best way to see if there's a drummer out there willing to lay down some unique grooves (aka not stock loops) on an E-drum kit that I can use in my project?

Like literally asking how the gently caress I even do this haha. I would expect someone to ask for pay, so what's like the going rate? Honestly it's just for my first release as I want to use it to attract actual in person players if I can.

Worst case I'll use the loops and self-programmed MIDI, I'd just be interested if on the off chance people do this sort of collab over the net. I'm guessing royalties (laughing at the thought of actually making money tho) would make it difficult, hence upfront payments.

i don't have any drum tracks to my name but i can bang one out and if you like what you hear i'd be open to doing more

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Enourmo posted:

Specifically for the college kids one, they tend to be way too up their own rear end about it. I haven't looked in a while (5+ years), but the last time I was really digging around on Craigslist and whatnot, all the ones that weren't cover bands had poo poo like "SERIOUS CAREER MUSICIANS ONLY" and "IF YOU CAN'T REHEARSE 7 DAYS A WEEK DON'T BOTHER REPLYING" and "IF YOU'RE NOT THE NEXT MALMSTEEN KILL YOURSELF". There's no room for just "hey let's get together on weekends and do this for fun" cause they all think they're gonna be the next world-class act, and act like they've already made it.

I've never played with other people (well, I was in wind band as a kid, but that's different.) My old friend group right after high school had a couple guys who played, but the one who I could actually stand to be around was busy with work all the time and eventually moved away.

The other one barely ever dragged his bass out, but whenever he listened to me play he'd be hyper-critical of everything, from my technical ability to my musical choices to how i held my body while I was playing ("Why are you making that goofy face? Why are you standing up straight instead of hunching over like the death metal guys? Why don't you hang your guitar down by your knees?"). He was the type to go "Hmm, your rhythm is solid and you've mostly got the solo nailed down, but: you're tuned in E standard instead of Eb, you missed a couple notes halfway through, and you're playing at 119 bpm instead of 120, so you're actually not playing the right song." Interestingly he never stepped up when I offered to hand my guitar over and let him show me how it's done.

Kinda turned me off of seeking out other musicians for good. I know that's not anywhere near universal, but it's the kinda thing that sticks with you, ya know?

i hope the e standard/eb thing isn't actually a real example bc if i was trying to get someone to play that wasn't tuned correctly and acted like i was an idiot for wanting them to be on the same page i would have a loving stroke

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

maybe this is a super stupid question but is there any meaningful sound difference between gibson double cuts and les pauls? or maybe being more straight forward, is there something that sounds like a double cut on the epiphone line.

the two sounds i'm interested in impersonating are like, the early shins, super bright sound - it wasn't played on a double cut initially, but james mercer has played one for a loooong time now and it sounds pretty faithful to the albums. but i also like the super dirty, crunchy weezer tone (rivers played gibsons in the studio, usually an LP jr), and the trademark fragile pixies/doolittle tone, done on a vanilla LP.

i've been looking at fenders because they're kinda the most famous (and not as in total corporate shambles as gibson to my eyes) but the more i think about it, the tones i'm inspired by are coming out of gibson/styled guitars. is there any epiphone that can cover all of these squares? or at least like, establish a little settlement in all of those squares

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ok does anyone have specific model recommendations for p90 guitars in the like squier/low end epiphone price range??? i'm having a ton of trouble finding anything...

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

basically the first thing i tried was a barre chord - b minor. i didn't have much of an issue - rolled my finger naturally. i have as much trouble switching to/from that as any other chord weirdly

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

forgive me if this is a stupid question, but if i buy an electric without an amp, i have a audio interface - can i just plug it directly in and use amp sim software for the time being? or do i need something else?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

After The War posted:

Latency/processing power is the other thing (but unlikely in this day and age). What kind of interface is it?

ART USB dual pre

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

-nvm

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

so i have an odd question - i know you're supposed to connect a cab to your head because of impedance, like, it has to require a certain amount of resistance to run properly - i think that cheapass orange head is like, at least 7 ohms or something like that.

what i'm wondering is, would it work correctly if i connected my very resistant headphones to the head via the quarter inch jack? like, i use sennheiser hd650s, which have an impedance of 300 ohms. do i understand this correctly or am i just nutty

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

thinking about buying an electric soon. what's the cheapest squier strat that's up to snuff for demo recording/writing?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

The Squier bullet strats are $150 and pretty decent. They have a few different configurations now too.

i was thinking about going after that daphne blue squier deluxe strat if i end up getting a guitar - it's a battle between that and a jazz bass. it's pretty sexy and i can put a tortoise pickguard on it later to become rivers cuomo.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

landgrabber posted:

i was thinking about going after that daphne blue squier deluxe strat if i end up getting a guitar - it's a battle between that and a jazz bass. it's pretty sexy and i can put a tortoise pickguard on it later to become rivers cuomo.

i guess this goes to say that if anyone out there has one they'd be willing to part with for like low 200s to a goon, i'd be glad to be on the receiving end of that - i've kind of just sat here for the last maybe six months wanting to play guitar and not owning one so i figure that's not really going to go away (and each time i've played my sister's guitars i've just wanted my own a little more)

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

its curtains for Kevin posted:

I actually am selling a big stack on reverb since I’m moving; take a look at my stock and if there’s something you’re interested I’ll give you a goon discount. :)

https://reverb.com/shop/jacobs-gear-outlet-207

Reverb takes a cut anyway so if we skip that you can just have whatever they would have gotten.

There’s also a white Squier contemporary strat I have that I’ll be posting on there later tonight if those interested you.

hmmm... is the white contemporary you mention in this post the one with the active pickups? if i get a strat i'm going for single coils :/

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Sadly, and the international shipping is about 180 across all of those. I’m aware that domestic is all thats likely, but even with fees and shipping I’m bound to get a better price than just taking them to a guitar exchange.

i might have to heavily consider that jazz master - how much would it be if i just sent you the cash through paypal? does it come with the tremolo arm? does mbv sound good on it?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Throw me 250 cash and you have a deal. Includes shipping. I bought it new a few months ago, I am just moving and since I have to consolidate I’m only keeping my more sentimental or unique axes.

I do have the trem bar, and I already put loctite on the bridge so you won’t get that awful buzz they have stock. Tbh it plays fantastic, but I have 17 instruments that play fantastic and I don’t need all of them. 😂

Pm me and I’ll get my paypal. We could also do ApplePay if you have it; this method is completely fee free so I prefer it.

E: lowered it another 10 bucks since you’re a goon. It’s going to a good home. :)

i'm not talking like, tonight - when does it have to be out by? i'm waiting on a camera lens i don't use anymore that's worth about two hundred (and i have the rest of the cash in my pocket right now) so if it can wait a week or so i'd be glad to take you up on that.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ewe2 posted:

Yeah, you have to do what you have to, I'd also prefer selling via Reverb than ebay, which has a most chequered history with sellers, particularly overseas. But freight is just killing everyone everywhere else, and on top of that our stupid government added a tariff to online purchases over $1k, we have Trumpian stupidity here too.

edit: oh wow, that's a collection alright :v:

where are you specifically?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

baka kaba posted:

Strats are bad you guys. Let's all go out and get teles

teles are inferior les pauls

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ewe2 posted:

I think there's aesthetics and aesthetics. Like, don't mix surf green with loving tortoiseshell unless its a small pickguard, just don't do this:

you're cuomoing!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

ok warmest guitar i can buy new for $300 go

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also i have a question - when you buy a squier, is the pickup routing dependant on the individual model/color, or is it just luck of the draw of you get like HSH or swimming pool or something like that?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

rio posted:

Pick a Telecaster you like and go.

is the squier standard good? looking at the hot rails strat atm but no one talks about them

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i'm just assuming that the squier rule of thumb is that i absolutely do not want the squier alnico pickups and the duncan designed ones are way better

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i think i'm gonna do it guys

i'm gonna get a tele

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Anime Reference posted:

Teles can do everything.

(Get a noise gate if you want to play death metal with one though)

i just wanna write/demo basic alt/indie rock songs with only a guitar, so i was looking for something warm and full. cheapest LP i want is $500 and a tele is the next best thing

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Just get an Agile LP. Things own. and they're priced well.

i can't find them anywhere except the agile website and it's a tough sell to my mom to get her to spend a couple hundred bucks on a site she's never heard of (i'm a lil baby)

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

No different than any other online selling site she's never heard of. Their website is a bit...outdated though. I can see old people being suspicious.

it's more about small sites that don't seem as legitimate. i can get a squier on amazon. i could probably make sweetwater happen as well. when i built my pc a few years ago, newegg took some convincing.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

hot rails strat is suddenly looking really really good to me again.

maybe i have a personality disorder.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

I like my hot rails strat, it's pretty versatile.

my main thing is that teles sound BRILLIANT when they're nice and clean but i hate them distorted. inverse for regular strats. maybe hot rails is the answer. a les paul with two covered humbuckers certainly is.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i also part of it's also being obsessed with whammy. you can't just undo being an mbv fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

After The War posted:

Remember how this whole thing started with you asking about Jaguars?

Maybe you should think about Jaguars. It is pretty badass to look down and see the Loveless album cover.

i don't like the way offsets look. if i got one i'd get a p90 jazzmaster and they're out of my price range