Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Skwirl posted:

Can you explain a little more about how it worked, because I've never played it and I don't know exactly what you mean. NPC text was semi-randomized? Or they used an algorithm to change dialogue while giving the same information?

There was literally an accent generator with all the various character's stupid verbal tics.

So "How are you doing?" Might become,

"How is you doing?"
"How-um are you-um doing?"
" 'ow are you doing mate?

It was stupid as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Atlas Hugged posted:

Any good FF Tactics style srpgs on the PC?

X-Com: Enemy Unknown is about as close as you'll get. And it is a really solid SRPG, especially with the new expansion.

Banner Saga also might fit, though it has a heavy dose of Oregon Trail in the mix too. And only the first part is currently out.

Age Of Wonders 3, though stretching the definition a lot, has also been scratching that itch for me recently. Its a 4X, but there's emphasis on character building with your heroes and there's some really cool turn based combat.

Other than those, which really aren't the same thing at all, SRPGs don't tend to really come out on the PC. The 3DS or Vita have way more extensive libraries.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The agarest games are boring as hell. The combat is extremely slow and dull, the stories are generic and lean heavily on the romance side of things to draw people in instead of actually making an interesting plot.

They're also grindy as gently caress. Even if you can get past the poor story, awful character design and really creepy fanservice they're games that delight in making you grind. For materials, affection, money you name it.

Also the character portraits freak me out a little. Mostly because they're static anime images that they decided to blow-up and down in a creepy imitation of breathing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Winning while keeping everyone alive is the real challenge of the games anyways. Anyone can win by throwing corpses into the meatgrinder and making strategic sacrifices.

Plus, as the games go on, characters begin to gate more and more significant content behind their survival. And replaying a long SRPG because whoops, someone ate a 3% crit so you never got to see whole levels/characters isn't fun for everyone.

Roguelikes work because they're shorter and have a lot more variation and random content generation so they don't get stale. Imagine if in Crawl you had to start as the same race/class and were guaranteed the same layout/enemies/drops with the only differences being your level up stats and some minor variations in the rng used for combat outcomes. I can't imagine people would continuously play it as much.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 21, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah I have a few, I didn't go in blind or anything. I just tried out the first couple of optional battles on the map (rather than retreating and continuing on with the plot) and it was just far more hectic than I anticipated. Ended up burning through most of my healing items.

How big of a deal is alignment? How worried should I be that units may up and leave?

Units will basically never leave. You have to make an extremely concentrated effort to lose them.

Unless you go the Neutral route which makes a story character super pissed at you and will make her ditch you unless you bring her loyalty up immediately.

Also Hard Mode for Tactocs Ogre is only using Beasts/Dragons/Undead/Golems and maybe faeries/Umbra. I've done a run, with hacked in recruitment skills, and it was a blast and genuinely tense. Cyclops being able to use items is insanely valuable.

Trying to beat Vyce as Whipping Beastmaster Denam did not go well at all though. God I hated that fight.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 26, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Is it just too low level for the mage or codzilla to fix that?

D&D games tend to not put in any of the utility stuff.

Partially because its a bitch to implement, partially because without a DM you can't tailor poo poo to the party and having a 'climb poo poo' spell that is literally never used is stupid.

Also no one ever lets players fly. Because, surprise surprise, it breaks so many thinga.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I wouldn't wish the first three Final Fantasies on anyone but my most hated of enemies.

Really? I feel like the first is worth playing at the very least, and the other two aren't bad so much as outdated at this point.

And at least they don't have the stupid loving 'active time battle system' that makes 4-9 so awful. God I hate that bullshit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

no, yes but you'd have to be me and 10 years old

e: a staple of the series is prepremotes, characters who join at high levels with lesser stats to compensate who can fill in any deaths since units keep joining for most of the game

Well, except Awakening.

If you keep loving up and letting people die early you lose access to up to a third of the cast. And there are virtually no pre-promotes. Literally two new people join between chapters 13 and 23 unless you have a whole bunch of other people alive and have done support convos with them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

Man, I love the concept of a death toll in strategy games but instantly turned off by the idea that the plot can be influenced in any way by it. I can deal with deaths in Suikoden or the Ogre games but Fire Emblem sounds like a series that would stress me out.

Well Awakening has a classic/casual switch independant of the difficulty that governs permadeath and all entries in the series will likely have that going forwards. And 90% of the characters don't influence the greater plot or even pop up in cutscenes after they're recruited, the story stuff they have is all optional 'supports' which are personal stories and have little bearing on the plot itself.

And there are always some characters, the main lord dude/dudette(s) who are required on every map and cause game over if they die. They're the only ones though and there's 1-3 per game usually.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 14, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's not a lot of money, but it sure is a consistent stream, and it's not like the games themselves even require that much effort given the target fanbase.

...also, total Baader-Meinhof on Yokai Watch. Seriously, this is the third time this week and I'd never heard of it before. What is it, exactly, and why is it enormous in Japan?

Pokemon.

Like, literally pokemon with slightly different mechanics. Unlike other pokemon clones (Fossil Fighters, etc) this one managed to get super popular and competes with new pokemon releases in sales. Plus its got all the marketing poo poo like a TV show and tons of merch.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm colorblind and never had any problems with it. So I'm not sure what you mean. Now games with little red and green dots on the minimap? Those games can gently caress off.

And Chrono Cross isn't bad. The storyline gets convoluted as gently caress at the very end, but that was almost par for the course for JRPGs from the era.

And the leveling system is actually pretty clever; not sure what your issue with it was. "Leveling" is just handled by how many bosses you've killed. It's designed to keep your whole large team on the same power footing without any need to grind, prevent under- or over-leveling, and provide a carefully controlled challenge because the designers knew exactly how strong you would be.

To beat Chrono Cross you need to use elements in the correct order to weaken/kill the final boss. Who can gently caress up the middle of your combos by playing the wrong element and force you to start over.

I'm pretty sure the only indication of which element was affecting the field was the color.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mill Village posted:

Isn't the dub just the Japanese voice actors trying to speak in English?

No, its definitely native english speakers.

Just ones who sound like they're speaking in a giant auditorium after their first acting lesson. And that the concept of 'takes' or 'direction' was some eldritch art beyond the ken of mortal men.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

what

this one's new

N from Pokemon Black/White.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Thanks for the awesome plethora of detail. All in all, from what I'm grasping, this will be a very different experience from Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic and Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

I thought about getting Fable Anniversary because Wiki says Fable: The LOst Chapters runs really lovely on the 360. But a guy on another forum says Wikipedia is exaggerating. So I guess I'll just go with the Xbox Lost Chapters version of Fable I.

I am kinda disappointed there appears to be little in the way of "moral choices" in the games. I've become accustomed to making decisions on how I perform quests.

Oh no, there are a huge amount of 'moral choices' probably moreso than any of the other games you listed.

Its just that almost all of them boil down to 'be a saint' or 'sacrifice children to a dark god'. And in general the games give you a huge variety of ways to absolutely dick over quest-givers.

And there is a lot of stuff gated behind your good/evil points. And also you literally grow horns or a halo depending on how good or evil you are in the first game (subsequent games mostly make you just look shining and pure or scarred and shadowed).

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 20, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

its the fact that all the maps turn into featureless blobs

This is always a really weird talking point.

Late game has all the good maps in the child paralogues and Valm chapters. The first 11 chapters have roughly 2 interesting maps in their entirety.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

the paralogues are okay but the valm chapters are pretty bad. and then you get to plegia round 2 and everything goes to poo poo.

first third didn't have great maps but they were at least designed.

Volcano chapter, Cervantes chapter, Aversa chapter, Boat chapter, Yen'fay chapter, Mire maze chapter were all good. Plus the paralogues.

Versus like the chapter you recruit Ricken and Maribelle and uh I guess the defend Emmeryn chapter.

I feel like people tend to burn out at the end (usually because grinding), but i definitely feel like chapter design is better overall in the second half. I think the last two or three chapters literally just being open fields poisons the well, that poo poo was def. bad.

Like i wony deny Awakening's map design isnt great, and terrible in some places, but i think people generally pick the wrong bit of the game to single out. Maybe because the plot is really bad which taints the chapters by association? idk.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think I remember someone saying if you marry the big old evil dude in red armor morgan gets some ridiculous skills or something

He gets a mediocre skill.

Honestly Morgan is always going to be great. Only the dragonladies, bunny people, Chrom, Olivia, Donny, Aversa and Walhart get them anything but stats though. Being able to turn into a dragon/bunny and five mostly poo poo skills.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh I thought the skill made him immune to crits or something

Yeah, the exclusive skills you can get on Morgan are pretty bad overall.

+4 luck!
+10% skill activation chance
Effective weaponry aren't effective
+20% to every growth
Use Dark Magic in any magic using class

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

hosed up opinion: dawn of the new world was okay

Dawn of the new world lets you play realtime pokemon. That part was cool.

However, i will never forgive it for giving the 'snake' monsters 4 legs. They look stupid. :bang:

Also play with the sound off if it looks like anyone is about to talk. The voice acting is ear bleeding bad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
1) KotOR II
2) Tales of Symphonia
3) Gladius
4) Persona 4
5) Mass Effect trilogy
6) Dragon Quest V
7) The Last Remnant
8) Megaman Battle Network series
9) Jade Empire
10) Fallout: New Vegas

This was tough.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hope you don't sell Collectapedia stuff - you need it for affinity-raising within the party.

But you don't have enough space in your bag for even all of the random quest stuff.

:shepicide:

The inventory limits in Xenoblade loving sucked.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

EllEssDee posted:

Anyone know of a dungeon crawler game on the PC with random loot? Been looking for one (Minus the might and magic games) but can't seem to find one. I'd rather it be a first person dungeon crawler like Etrian a odyssey, wizardry etc. I'm starting to believe one doesn't exist.

Paper Sorcerer

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

yeah, iirc ropekid's gone on record saying they suffered from their super tight time constraints and that's a large part of why they're presented in such a lopsided way compared to everyone else

I still have no idea how the gently caress they expected people to empathize with a faction that crucified anyone who didn't immediately bow to them and literally kept all women in occupied territory as rape slaves.

Like, I usually defend Obsidian, but that just screams they were going to go with the :airquote:'hard' :airquote: moral choice of

"Well they're monsters, but they keep us safe! Except the women, who they rape, and our sons, who they steal and sacrifice in brutal and stupid wars." :downs:

vs.

"They're nice but inefficient and make us pay taxes" :cry:

vs

"I'm going on a powertrip and becoming the god-king of Vegas" :goonsay:

Like the Legion has no redeeming features whatsoever unless you're a fledgling fascist. And I'm not sure how giving that more exposure would have made the game better?

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 31, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

Why do people seem to dislike Suikoden 5? Next to 2 & 1 it's one of the better games in the series. 2 > 5 > 1.

5>3=2>1=Tactics>>>>>>>4

Really all the Suikodens but 4 (and Tierkris...) are wothwhile and Good GamesTM

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 31, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Classic Hard ended up too easy and Lunatic was a bit ludicrous. Basically no middle ground.

Yeah. In general they're harder and not ridiculously broken because Pair Up has been fixed and growths are lower across the board. Also you can't grind without DLC in Conquest, though Birthright is apparently pretty tough if you don't grind.

Also tons of optional and non-optional objectives and massive nerfs to 1-2 range weapons (they mostly can't double) means using more units is optimal etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

oof, that sounds bad unless they really nerfed it down

They're seperate stances now and attack doesn't give stat boosts. Also the boosts are way smaller in general.

They're more like standing next to a unit in Awakening as opposed to pairing up. Like situationally useful, not do or die like in Awakening.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Do actual support levels carry over? I dunno if characters appear in more than one game or not.

There's a core group of about 8 that you get on both routes, mostly your party from before the split, and characters from one side show up fairly regularly as bosses/enemies on the other side.

You get everyone on the third, DLC route also. Support ranks do not carry over.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

If I wanted to try Suikoden, I should play 1, 2, skip 3 and 4, and play 5 yeah?

What about Tierkreis.

Tierkreis is the absolute worst. Do not play Tierkreis.

3 is controversial more than anything. Personally I like it, but it definitely isn't for everyone. I'd at least try it out as it is the finale to the series with 4 and 5 being prequels. 4 is just hot unmitigated garbage to play though, and has almost nothing to do with the rest of the series.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

thorsilver posted:

I gotta be honest, the '...' ninja support dialogue thing makes me cross. My wife translates English/Japanese professionally, and she'll spend an entire drat day carefully localising a few lines of text, so to see that they didn't even attempt to make something compelling out of the original text at all is pretty annoying to me. Like you said good writers can, and should, rebuild the text to make something fitting and interesting; nothing about the '...' dialogue is either of those things, and honestly I think it's a pretty piss-poor bit of localisation.

Admittedly I'd probably be less cross about it if I could find a copy of the drat Fates SE :v:

I mean the "...." is at least a joke that informs us about the characters. The original is them expositing their basic character traits at each other.

Like nothing of value was lost assuming you have paid any attention at all to the characters in any other scene or support. The "...." support conversation literally gets across as much information, and its a funny character beat for these two really intense and taciturn people staring each other down.

I can think of far, far worse things in the script.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Is there some sort of trick to enjoying the DIsgaea series? People rave about it all the time but every time I tried to play 1-3 I'd get an hour in, get extremely overwhelmed and just quit.

Do you love ridiculous amounts of grinding and optimizing your grinding.

That is what 90% of Disgaea playtime is about. The rest is the story and if you're getting overwhelmed there get out while you can.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The characters are aggressively boring though.

Like visually they aren't even distinct, just a group of dudes with really similar facial features/clothing. Which is all :airquote:badass:airquote: black coats. And cargo pants for some reason which is pretty lol.

One of them has the generic over-eye scar I guess :effort:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

milla is super popular with female tales fans and she's basically the tales version of lightning, only more of a cool mom

Milla isn't really like Lightning at all though? She has the whole 'teach me about your hooo-mon customs' thing and is generally upbeat, positive and curious about the world.

Lightning is stoic, jaded and pretty constantly angry.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Terper posted:

Noctis is the oldest Final Fantasy protagonist at the ripe old age of 22

Isn't Cecil like 25 or something?

And I thought both Cloud and Lightning were like 22-25ish.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

It's kind of lovely to have to tell a 10 year old kid that he needs to go back to a life where his mother is dead and his dad is a deadbeat alcoholic but I guess that's just what happens when you gently caress with grimoires that some kid bought from barnes and noble.

Its also kinda hosed up to be ripped from your home into a world where you have to fight for your life daily and you're at the whims of rear end in a top hat magic judges who will throw you in super jail at any time.

I mean, yeah Mewt has a demon pretending to be his mom, Ritz doesn't have to dye her hair (?), and Donny can walk but, uh, there are some pretty significant downsides here too.

Like, Marche just trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on triggers a martial crackdown on the common people. And gives the judges increasing power to randomly throw people in jail while dissidents are rounded up and caged.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 9, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

FFT, FFXII and Vagrant Story are all confirmed to be in "real" Ivalice. FFTA, FFTA2 and Revenant Wings are in the dream/book Ivalice so that's up in the air.

Revenant Wings and FFTA2 are both direct sequels to FFXII and literally have some of the same cast so how are they not in 'real' Ivalice?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'll be honest and say that I didn't notice a huge difference between DA:O and DA:I. The latter is streamlined but DA:O was easy as balls and short of difficulty mods or whatnot the only reason it could be hard is if you used one of the bad builds instead of one of the good ones.

AKA, how many mages you had in your party.

Like, Rogues and Warriors were almost interchangeable and pretty bad overall. Mages got all the gamebreaking stuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The DS version of 5 is straight up better than the SNES version though!

Yeah the DS version of 5 is fantastic.

:allears: Deborah

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

1. Do they kiss

2. If yes, pics

thats his brother

gross

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

uh no that's not what they mean when they call each other "bro"

they were raised from early childhood in the same house by the same adoptive father, refer to each other as family repeatedly through the game, have a good chunk of the cast banter about them revolve around how they act like brothers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

So what are some lesser known RPGs that you guys like/endorse? We always talk circles about the big franchises and such but there are a ton of single entry games or hidden gems out there for older consoles.

Unrelated to that, what are your opinions on the God Eater series? Is it something I can jump into without having played it or any of the Monster Hunter games?

Here are some I like;

Infinite Space: super long space opera with a billion nooks and crannys, a unique (if slightly shallow) battle and ship upgrade system and a ton 9f branching paths. Really underrated DS game.

Geneforge series: By Spiderweb the dudes who made Avernum/Exile 3 times. Incredible setting and really unique game where your party consists 9f summoned monsters. 1 is real janky but 2-5 are pretty good and share a lot of DNA with Ultima or the older Divinity games.

Gladius: An odd Lucas Arts game for the PS2/GC/Xbox where you run a school of gladiators in a cool magic world. Tones of variety in gladiators too, everything from Roman Legionaires to Yeti to giant Scorpions. Probably my favorite old game from that era.

Magi-Nation: Interesting GBC pokemon-like game that oozes atmosphere.