Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Clouseau posted:

I think I would have given Civil War a bigger chance if it wasn't so self serious. Moment of silence?? loving really?

Thing is Civil War was all about comics taking themselves more seriously for a change. It was the Watchmen of Marvel.

That said, I loved Civil War so I booted up that table, and holy crap I am so lost on wtf is going on :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Meat posted:

For some reason I just remembered 3D Ultra Pinball existed, I remember that game fondly, but that's probably because of rose tinted glasses, is there any way to get any of the 3D Ultra Pinball games on a modern PC? I kind of want to see if they've held up well. My guess is that they haven't, but I kind of want to give those games a go anyways.

I still have boxed / shrinkwrapped copies of Epic Pinball. The tables are pretty awful.

No I don't know why I have them, leave me alone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tato posted:

Even though it's really "pinpuck," I really like Galactic Pinball for Virtual Boy. The tables are fun and have a variety of modes, many of them full of winks to Nintendo franchises. The 3D helps with the perspective of the table as well.

Its pretty cool but you really wish you had analog control over the flippers, but you don't, its a purely digital boolean on/off.

Like you said, its more pinpuck, and that's kinda frustrating.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

roffels posted:

That's how real flippers are, on or off. It's either an opto switch (light is interrupted) or a piece of copper making contact with another piece of copper.

Really? I'm pretty noobish when it comes to pinball, but isn't being able to control how hard you hit the ball like, a huge deal?

Even with copper connecting to copper, you can have analog. That's how remote control car throttles work, its just a copper brush against a copper contact, but based on the distance you can control the resistance and increase the flow. Or you could use time to hold it down longer, powering the motor longer, versus feathering it on and off. No?

I'm pretty sure in the virtual boy pinball that holding the paddle down does the same as tapping it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

Uhhhhh.... no. Even as a little kid in the 70s I quickly figured out that it doesn't matter how hard or how fast you press the flipper buttons.

Welp. :downs:

Nurge posted:

The pros can control flipper strength to a point by hitting the switch long enough to start the motion of the flipper and then cutting it off. It's extremely hard to do properly though. It also seems to work much better on old EM games than modern machines, but I'm not sure why that is. Different types of switches?

So there's something there... but I'm no pro so I'm probably just way off.

I haven't played a ton of pinball, it never really appealed to me as a kid for some reason, I guess because I grew up with proper videogames and they always seemed 'cooler'. (NES/SNES)

There's a decent arcade in town now though and they've got lots of classic machines so I'm starting to get into it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm gonna go to the arcade after work and lose a few more quarters into some tables.

Are there any really great classic tables that you'd recommend to anybody? Its hard because you don't know what tables this arcade has, but they have a poo poo ton of good old stuff. I know they have attack from mars, addams family, pin bot, bride of pin bot, lord of the rings, terminator, multiple star trek tables, circus voltaire, metallica, guns n roses, tales of the arabian nights, etc. Any of those a must-play? Anything really cool I should keep my eye out for?

I've played some of them a little but I need to actually learn the tables' rules for once and play it properly. I've played tales of arabian nights in pinball arcade and it seems like a pretty cool table, and I actually understand how to play it now.

They also had a table that had a gimmick I hadn't seen before, but has probably been done a few times. The ball could travel all the way up the table, and then would get picked up and continue playing completely vertically on a second table where the scoreboard would usually go. The ball fell really fast because it was vertical, and then it would fall back down into the normal table.

The theme of the table was you were racing against like 4 people in a swamp or something, they each had a color name like 'Red something' 'Green something', etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yep, that was it! Pretty cool table.

I've seen lots of virtual tables that had like a second table you could get teleported to or something, but I figured that was something you could only do with virtual tables and computers.

Do many physical tables have a second play field like that?

I guess you could do it with a screen embedded in the field like the star wars table, and then just play virtual pinball for a minute. But what about having a physical second table, are there many of those?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Clouseau posted:

Banzai is the only game that has a backbox pinball table, but there's a bunch that have lower playfields (Black Hole, AC/DC, etc), and a bunch that have interactive backbox gimmicks (Cirque Voltaire, Terminator 3).

As neat as the upper backbox table is, it was supposedly a pain in the rear end to service, so that's probably why we never saw another one.

Yeah, I was pretty impressed. I like how it changes the ball physics completely, but it does seem like it would be a pain to maintain.

Just looked up the black hole table, that's also pretty nifty. It makes sense to put a second table below, but then how do you see it? With a giant window of glass, that's how :downs: If I ever catch that table somewhere I'll have to put a few quarters in.

Although that means you've got a huge section of your main playfield that's just empty, but there's usually a lot of space at the bottom before you get to the flippers/drain anyways, so I could see that playing pretty well.

They also mention black hole being unpopular with operators :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

canyoneer posted:

You can't really go wrong with the top 20 tables from Pinside. https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100

Anything in the top 10 of that is a "drop everything, I need to play that table right now" for me.

Cool, thanks! From the look of things, the arcade I go to mostly used this list to determine what to buy :stare:

I've got a lot of tables I need to play.

They also sell some of their tables. I don't know the first thing about pinball operation, although I really like fiddling with electronics and I know my way around a multitool and a soldering iron. And used tables are way more affordable than I figured... but I also wouldn't know anything about how to tell if they're in good condition or about to fall apart.

I think the only thing really stopping me from buying a table at some point in the future is the thought of having to move the drat thing. I already have so much poo poo that I don't want to ever move again, ugh... I guess its a good thing there's a decent arcade so close by.

Plus I guess if you own a table you end up playing that one to death, and you want to play others. And then you get the desire to build a home arcade, and that's gonna quickly turn into :retrogames:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Played a bunch of tables and had a good time. I am really bad at pinball, though. This is gonna take some practice.

Spent most of my time on Medieval Madness and Tales of the Arabian Nights.

I love Arabian Nights because its the only table I can actually do things on, instead of just flailing about trying to not lose a ball. And the genie, the theme of the different quests you go on, and especially the spinning lamp bumper are all pretty drat cool.

Medieval Madness is really fun too, I really like knocking down the gate and destroying the castle. I lost a lot of balls pretty fast though, any tips for avoiding the drain on that table? Git gud?

Also saw a table called "haunted house" which had not two but three pinball tables combined. There's a lower one with its own paddles which is inverted such that the top is towards you and the drain is away from you, which was pretty fun, and an upper one on the top right part of the table. Two different flipper buttons that controlled a total of four sets of flippers. Wow.

More than a few times I lost a ball nearly instantly, and didn't get a save. I guess some tables just eat quarters?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Discount Viscount posted:

All three of these tables are recreated in Pinball Arcade by the way.

Yes, some tables will gobble your balls faster than others. Pin*Bot and Star Trek: The Next Generation have notoriously well-trafficked outlanes.

Play a lot and learn those passing and catching techniques that were just posted in this thread. Practice aiming at particular targets.

One great thing about Pinball Arcade is that an extensive rules breakdown is provided for each table. Learning the goals and progression of a table really adds a lot of enjoyment, and being able to do it without dropping a bunch of extra quarters is even better.

Yeah I've got pinball arcade and pinball FX2 installed, I'll play em some more to try to get a feel for the tables. Its not quite the same, but yeah, seems like a good way to warm up on a table without wasting money.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Who dunnit is an awesome table. Really original theme having to interrogate people and guess who the murderer is, and a pretty fun and simple table layout.

Scored 64M on Tales of the Arabian Nights, feeling like much less of a newbie :cheeky: Would have gotten even more but I failed on the very last step of saving the princess.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 31, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It seems like even if you get a bonus play at the end in Pinball Arcade, it doesn't actually let you keep going.

I guess that's not a big deal since you can just replay for free, but is there any way to change that? Just seemed kinda lame they put in the graphics for the bonus ball screen and the calculation, but it still kicks you to the top scores.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheMcD posted:

What's the point of going on after getting a replay versus starting again from the menu? Either way, it's not like the score carries over or anything.

Yeah I kinda already said that. I was just curious because it felt odd, sheesh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

roffels posted:

I imagine it depends on who the core audience is, but there are a lot of great players by me, and spending $2 on a game, when factoring replays/matches, can get you a solid hour or more of entertainment.

That kinda turns it into a newbie tax though, which if anything is kinda backwards for dragging people into the game.

On the other hand getting replays is a huge draw to keep playing and get better at a table, so :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Electromax posted:

I daydream sometimes about starting a small arcade and quitting my IT job. However, I read about several hundred dollars in 8 weeks and just think, how does anyone ever turn a profit on pinball? The machines are like $8,000 plus. Do you just operate in debt for years? Is the only way to be financially viable to include some DDR/Cabela/Racing cabs for the kids?

Don't think I'll ever try it, but it just seems like a self-defeating cycle. Maybe the way to do it is to become someone who leases tables out to bars and contracts the upkeep?

Any pinball hall operators want to weigh in? Is it a "I'm lucky to be able to eat the expense of this side-job because I love it" or "it's rough at first but I can put food on the table now"?

I was actually curious about this myself, the math didn't seem to add up very well. And to start up a decent arcade or pinball hall you'd need several tables to offer some variety, which means a truly massive up-front cost for a few quarters a day? Hmm.

Glad it works out somehow though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DevCore posted:

I've seen different scenarios.

Pinballz in Austin became so successful that they opened up a second location south of town.
They've got close to a hundred tables in their original location and also have ticket/classic arcades. They also serve food and host leagues.
They also lease pinball tables to bars around town, with about 2-3 tables per establishment.
They're typically charging .75-$1 per game and I was spending $10-$20 per visit myself. I'm sure that's pretty average.

Leagues are $20 to join and $60 worth of play per person. They also rent out space for events and can even rent out the entire building for about 10k.

They also lease out their tables to bars and do routine maintenance routes on them.

I think they've got a pretty good business model, but it only works on a big scale like that.

Pinballz is cool because it used to be BYOB, and now they're working on getting a liquor licence.

That's gonna be bad for my wallet, but I'm going to have so much fun.

I guess Dave & Busters already serves beer, but gently caress Dave & Busters. And they don't have pinball anyways, just arcade machines.

I do wish more of the games were .50 instead of mostly .75-$1, but I still pay it so :shrug: I guess that's just inflation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

breaks posted:

Nah, the north one still is BYOB and I think they've pretty much given up on serving there. No BYOB at the south one though.

So if you go to the north one bring beer and you have more money for pins!

More centrally, Buffalo Billiards is good, and G&S is also ok.

Last time I went I did bring beer, but then there were lots of little kids running around and I saw a flyer for a special after-hours drinking time and wondered if maybe I made a boo-boo. But nobody gave me poo poo for it or anything so yeah I guess its still BYOB all the time?

It makes sense if they gave up on the liquor licence, but that's unfortunate. I feel dirty walking into an arcade with a six-pack in a cooler, as opposed to just ordering a pint now and again from the bar. :ninja:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

canyoneer posted:

After hearing this thread buzz about the Zen Civil War table some months ago, I was really disappointed to see it was Marvel Civil War.

I'd like a United States Civil War pinball table, please. With general portraits on drop targets, it would probably be the best beards in pinball

Civil War is like one of the best comic book mega-events ever!
Unfortunately I thought the table was way too complicated, like some of the weirder licenced Zen tables.

I used to like Zen more but now I actually prefer Pinball Arcade because using real tables grounds from getting too ridiculous.

That said, I'd be cool with a civil war table too. Would you fight for the union or the confederates?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Awesome! posted:

i would love for them to do wizard of oz

that table is crazy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mattfl posted:

You guys who haven't checked out visual pinball in a while should check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2BelDzptfg

Yes that's actual gameplay of an upcoming release of Attack from Mars!

That looks crazy real. What is this?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mattfl posted:

Visual Pinball 10. A lot of tables are being redone now because people have figured out how to do real high resolution/realistic looking builds using the newer betas of VPX.

I can’t wait to put this one in my cabinet.

What's the easiest way to find cabinets to download?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bewbies posted:

That...actually isn't a bad workaround to that problem?

I dunno if coin op virtual cabs are going to take off (probably not), but there's no mechanism in place to monetize that sort of thing. Someone probably suggested "just take a picture" as a joke and then no one could come up with any better idea.

The problem isn't monetizing it, the problem is enforcing the personal-only use. Without the resources to go into bars and check on their hardware, everybody could get away with it.

But its a serious non-problem. Unless there's some serious barcades with virtual pinball that people are crazy about and somehow I've never heard of it.

Monetizing virtual pinball is still a problem and would require marketing to bars.

This is basically a real lovely form of DRM, kinda like old videogames where you'd have to look up some password hidden in the instruction manual. DRM doesn't really work. You're making your product (pinball game) worse by making it more frustrating for your paying consumers (gamers) in order to maybe be able to get a market (bars) that doesn't currently pay you to pay you in the future. Its shortsighted and backwards.

If you want a way to make sure bars pay you the extra money, figure out better ways to offer them value. Offer them support if they pay, etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah pinball fx2 VR is really really good. Its one of the most convincingly "real" VR games there is. The tables just feel real. Every little bumper or light or inlay looks perfect and feels right in perspective 3d.

Shame there's so few tables and unlikely to be a ton more because there probably isn't a big enough audience.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

A pinball table is probably the last thing my 750sqft apartment needs... and yet

(ed) I went to a local barcade yesterday, and they have Champion Pub! I really wanted to try that IRL

:negative:

That sucks, but I super appreciate the employee who took the time to reference both kinds of gremlin

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tony Phillips posted:

"Someone get me some Rod Stewart, cause I'm a Pinball Wizard!"

:stonk: WHAT

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

breaks posted:

Hope someone in Austin got one, but won’t hold my breath. Darren had an AMH but didn’t get any of the following Spooky tables which probably isn’t a good sign, maybe Cidercade snagged one if they ever actually open up.

Lemme know if you find one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I started playing with virtual pinball vr but it seems like a huge hassle to get working properly

I wish fx2vr had more tables, its really great